The Super Mario Bros. Movie

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Here's a random thought:

What's the chances that this film ends with a dance party...and they sing a rap version of "Do the Mario"?

It's got to be, like, a 80% chance that'll happen, right? This is a Illumination movie, this is what they do. I'm not even sure if Nintendo 100% owns that song, but I could see them licensing the rights just for this movie.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Here's a random thought:

What's the chances that this film ends with a dance party...and they sing a rap version of "Do the Mario"?

It's got to be, like, a 80% chance that'll happen, right? This is a Illumination movie, this is what they do. I'm not even sure if Nintendo 100% owns that song, but I could see them licensing the rights just for this movie.
I know some who are personally hoping to hear the DK64 rap get played in this movie.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Here's a random thought:

That's an extremely optimistic perspective on an era Nintendo pretty much chooses to completely ignore and never acknowledge (barring the old games, of course).

Zamuel

Pittied fools.
Citizen
I was thinking about the comparison between Mario and Sonic and realized a rather interesting difference. While in the games, Sonic simply exists, in the Sonic X cartoon and the Paramount movies he's from another world visiting ours. Mario is from our world and gets sent to another, he's just been in the Mushroom Kingdom so long it isn't acknowledged nowadays. Makes the format difference of live action/CG hybrid vs wholly animated make a lot of sense. It'll make how they explain the in universe mechanics interesting.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
Mario is from our world and gets sent to another, he's just been in the Mushroom Kingdom so long it isn't acknowledged nowadays.
Wait, that's the official premise? How have I been alive this long without knowing that?

Zamuel

Pittied fools.
Citizen
Then came Yoshi's Island...

That's...huh. I forgot about that. So while Sega has its own quirks and specific bits of old canon they strike from the records, they're more willing to acknowledge older material. Peach is not Princess Toadstool but Dr. Ivo Robotnik is the birth name and Dr. Eggman is the nickname. I wonder if part of it is that Mario isn't supposed to have a continuity but Sonic explicitly does (even though it's fluid). Also, Nintendo closely guards its IP while Sega is more openly willing to let others play in the sandbox, for better or worse.

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
Even in the case of yoshi's island: it doesn't discount that mario and luigi came from another world, only when. Instead of getting flushed as adults, they got... flushed as children? Is there an abortion joke in there somewhere?

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Even in the case of yoshi's island: it doesn't discount that mario and luigi came from another world, only when. Instead of getting flushed as adults, they got... flushed as children? Is there an abortion joke in there somewhere?
I always thought that Mario, Luigi, and their parents simply moved from the Mushroom Kingdom to the world of Earth at some point, and then Mario and Luigi made their way back to the Mushroom Kingdom from Brooklyn later in life as adults.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
Hey, I was under the impression that they were life long new yorkers and got sucked down the drain.

Really; there's enough stuff, spread out over so long that there's really any interpretation you want to the lore of a game about a plumber curb stomping talking mushrooms and enslaved turtle soldiers.

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
Easy solution: at some point in their infancy they ended up in New York and were adopted by an Italian American family.

Shadewing

Citizen
I think with Mario Odyssey one could maybe make the claim their originally from 'New Donk City' and ended up in the Mushroom Kingdom later. Its sorta a compromise between the 'New Yorkers isakai'd to another world' plot of the 90's and Nintendo's current stance of 'They were always resisdents of this world'

wonko the sane?

Citizen
Which still begs the question: the hell happened to mario? Cause he's literally a third of the height of the people in new donk, and built like a pumpkin.

The Mighty Mollusk

Scream all you like, 'cause we're all mad here
Citizen
If you go back to the original Super Mario Bros. NES manual, all of the bricks and power-ups are transformed Mushroom Kingdom citizens. Mario's been massacring his way through civilians for decades. What's a little cannibalism on top of it?

Top Bottom