The Super Mario Bros. Movie

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
Give me Dennis Hopper and Bob Hoskins any day. Mario works best when it’s set in a post-apocalyptic urban nightmare world.
I'd get them for you but the local voodoo priest isn't taking my calls.( I think he's still upset about that Hitler vs Stalin cage match I tried to get him involved with)

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
That's what I told him, but NO, resurrecting two of the 20th century's greatest monsters as eldritch zombies was apparently crossing the line....

Last edited:

Rhinox

too old for this
Citizen
Pratt sounds vaguely italian by way of New York. I can dig it. It's a lot less of a stereotype than I was hoping for. I'm quite pleased overall.
Jack Black is, as always, ******* amazing.

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
My thing is it's still way too easily Pratt's voice. With Jack Black doing Bowser's few lines I really couldn't have picked up on that it was him. Jack is Menacing with his performance in just that short clip of things to come.

Thinking of it though, even with a call for Charles Martinet to keep his role for the movie, I'm not sure I'd be down for a movies' worth of game Mario voice either. Though I wish I'd known about Khary Payton voicing the Emperor Penguin a month ago. Would have been fun to geek out with him when I saw him at Comic con

Shadewing

Citizen
My thing is it's still way too easily Pratt's voice. With Jack Black doing Bowser's few lines I really couldn't have picked up on that it was him. Jack is Menacing with his performance in just that short clip of things to come.

Thinking of it though, even with a call for Charles Martinet to keep his role for the movie, I'm not sure I'd be down for a movies' worth of game Mario voice either. Though I wish I'd known about Khary Payton voicing the Emperor Penguin a month ago. Would have been fun to geek out with him when I saw him at Comic con

Listening through a YT video on Mario voice evolution, partly to prove to a friend that Mario does actually speak and not just 'Link-esque grunts and yells'; I agree that I don't really want Charles to voice Mario for a movie; but it doesn't change that he's been the voice of Mario for over two decades, people have grown up with him being THE voice of Mario. They could have found SOMEONE that could get a middle ground of sounding like Mario but having more range then we hear from any of Charles' Mario preformances. I'm not gonna fully judge til I see the movie, but right now it just sounds like Pratt is kinda phoning it in, but maybe will sound better in the full movie rather then a single clip.

This is another point in Sonic's favor on two fronts; 1. Ben Schwartz might not be the game VA, but he still sounds like Sonic should. 2. The fact the Sonic Games have had 3 or 4 VAs mean that there's not one distinct voice for the character, making it easier to cast a more famous voice without it being jarring.

Also Jack Black remains awesome; ever since the second Jumanji movie, I've been convinced he could play anything and make it work.

TM2-Megatron

Citizen
Animation looks about what I expected... like a cutscene from one of the modern HD games but with a massive budget thrown behind it. I'll likely see this if only just for the visuals and the (I'm sure) huge number of easter egg characters and items that be thrown into the background. Bowser's pretty menacing, but not as dark as he could've been (his wizard did whisk all those penguins out of the way so they weren't incinerated).

This is a film that will look incredibly sweet in 4K HDR.

Last edited:

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
Oh yeah: if nothing else, this is going to be an exceptionally graphically beautiful movie. Just having the nintendo branding will ensure that.

The Mighty Mollusk

Scream all you like, 'cause we're all mad here
Citizen
We all know what we really need in the movie.

r7WAgjb.jpeg

I'm not apologizing.

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
We all know what we really need in the movie.

r7WAgjb.jpeg

I'm not apologizing.
You should

I don't mind what I'm seeing. The humor is on point (what has been shown, anyway), the voices are solid, so we'll see what additional trailers bring.

Sonic set the bar (shockingly) high, so I'm hoping Mario avails himself admirably following in those footsteps.

Zamuel

Pittied fools.
Citizen
First, a direct link to the trailer:

But second:
I want Sonic to make more money but I doubt it.
I'm...not bothered by the Mario movie potentially grossing more. I see Sonic as more of paving the way for later videogame movies.

Though, I'm gonna laugh if Sonic does slightly outgross it.

Shadewing

Citizen
I'll be surprised if Sonic is able to come out on top monetarily. Mario is just a much bigger and well known character; he is practically THE face of video games. But Sonic did set the base line of 'This is how you do a video game adaptation and succeed'. Twice. Neither are perfect movies, but they get all the important elements right. So far, Mario is doing almost all that. Jury's still out on Chris Pratt's voice; but everything else so far feels spot on for Mario's universe.

I have no doubt that this is gonna be one of the biggest movies of the holiday season, the only way this won't be is if its some sorta unseen trainwreck... and well... I can't see that happening. Nintendo is very hands on with this, and Illumination rarely has a movie that underperforms. This is Mario, in all his cartoony glory, on the big screen. Even more then Sonic, this is people's childhood's coming alive.

Top Bottom