The Super Mario Bros. Movie

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Then again, they might have been looking at literally every other video game movie to come out during all of those times (that weren't Pokémon movies) and went, "Oh that's why we didn't."

Tuxedo Prime

Citizen
Then again, they might have been looking at literally every other video game movie to come out during all of those times (that weren't Pokémon movies) and went, "Oh that's why we didn't."
I mean, we can't have forgotten Uwe Boll, much as we might want to....

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
Also they probably STILL have a bad taste in their mouths after they let the duo behind Max Headroom be in charge of the live action Mario movie.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Also they probably STILL have a bad taste in their mouths after they let the duo behind Max Headroom be in charge of the live action Mario movie.
And they're probably still sore about that movie gaining a cult following of its own.

Tuxedo Prime

Citizen
And they're probably still sore about that movie gaining a cult following of its own.
Nintendo's headquarters often seemed.... embarrassed by what their American branch offices (back when there were American branch offices) got up to in terms of licensing. (To be fair, Japan never had a Home Video Game Crash as the US industry did in 1983-1985, so they wouldn't have seen the need to keep brand awareness through breakfast cereals and animation spin-offs to the same degree.) It was an absurdly long time before "Captain N: The Game Master" (with its very unique take on Metroid's Mother Brain, and a then-unknown Venus Terzo voicing the original character of Princess Lana) got a DVD release, for example.

....I still wish a modern game would give us a talking Mother Brain.

Last edited:

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
they wouldn't have seen the need to keep brand awareness through breakfast cereals and animation spin-offs to the same degree
I wouldn't be too sure about that.
(Sidenote: Did Mario 64 steal the idea of Mario spinning Bowser around by his tail from this furikake/rice topping commercial?!)
Turn on closed captions to get English subtitles.

If anything, the Japanese side might have been a little jealous that the American side was as successful as it was. Between the live-action movie, the breakfast cereals, the Saturday Morning cartoons, the Valiant comics, and the McDonalds Happy Meal toys. Say what you will about the quality of any of it, but the American side got deals made! Nintendo Japan wasn't really that shy about putting their mascots on different products back in the 90s, they just go under the radar of most people.

Last edited:

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
back when there were American branch offices
Did... did I miss something? Did Nintendo of America close down, and I didn't hear about it?
It was an absurdly long time before "Captain N: The Game Master" (with its very unique take on Metroid's Mother Brain, and a then-unknown Venus Terzo voicing the original character of Princess Lana) got a DVD release, for example.
I don't think Nintendo has much, if any, say in that. I think it's up to Wildbrain or whoever owned the DiC properties on that front, sort of like how Disney is free to re-release and show the first Mario movie as they please.
(Sidenote: Did Mario 64 steal the idea of Mario spinning Bowser around by his tail from this furikake/rice topping commercial?!)
Probably not, if only because the spinning thing was from the anime movie that the rice was marketed alongside.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
Finally saw it. It was pretty simple but looked really good. Pratt was ok but made Mario a little boring?

There's stuff I don't know cuz I didn't play those games. I'm not into racing so the whole Mario Kart stuff flew over my head.

I've seen the wizard major domo with the telekinetic wand but I don't know his name.

There's a Freeze Flower?

I don't know the powers of the cat suit.

Can Donkey Kong power up too? In what game?

Is it for real that the Raccoon tail twirls exactly like Sonic's Tails? From the game, it... wags up and down?

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Finally saw it. It was pretty simple but looked really good. Pratt was ok but made Mario a little boring?

There's stuff I don't know cuz I didn't play those games. I'm not into racing so the whole Mario Kart stuff flew over my head.

I've seen the wizard major domo with the telekinetic wand but I don't know his name.

I'm not sure what they settled on here, but collectively, they're known as Magikoopa's, while Bowser's right-hand Magikoopa is usually named Kamek.

There's a Freeze Flower?

Since 2007.

I don't know the powers of the cat suit.

Cat stuff. Claws, climbing, pouncing...

Can Donkey Kong power up too? In what game?

Donkey Kong '94. Smash Bros. and Mario Kart, too, I suppose, technically.

Is it for real that the Raccoon tail twirls exactly like Sonic's Tails? From the game, it... wags up and down?

Sometimes. Depends on the game.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen

Ooookay I'm not going to date myself by saying the last Mario game I played, haha.

Oh yeah, did Mario always have a huge family? So odd. Oh, I actually remember that other guy Spike from that Mario wrecking ladders game.

Edit - and he hates mushrooms? That seems like a weird thing to put in. It can't be canon, can it?

Last edited:

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
I think you're overthinking it. Mario canon has always been deliberately loose. He's Nintendo's Mickey Mouse or Bugs Bunny, after all. Just a character they can stick in various situations without worrying about continuity or stuff like that.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen

Ooookay I'm not going to date myself by saying the last Mario game I played, haha.

Oh yeah, did Mario always have a huge family? So odd. Oh, I actually remember that other guy Spike from that Mario wrecking ladders game.

Edit - and he hates mushrooms? That seems like a weird thing to put in. It can't be canon, can it?

1) Nope, the family here is new. I think their mother was shown in the Super Show, the Yoshi's Island series gave them Muppet Baby Nanny parents, and the Valiant Comics did much the same.

2) Wrecking Crew.

3) It's particularly weird after Sonic's movie doing the exact same thing first. SEGA does... what Nintendoes, too?

Anyway, Miyamoto worked on the film, so it's like...

giphy.gif

That's basically what he did with it.

I think you're overthinking it. Mario canon has always been deliberately loose. He's Nintendo's Mickey Mouse or Bugs Bunny, after all. Just a character they can stick in various situations without worrying about continuity or stuff like that.
At times unfortunately, I'd say.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
Wrecking Crew, yeah, that game.

Wait, I rechecked the family dinner scene and... The three other guys now seem older soooo they're Mario and Luigi's uncles? My original issue was if they were other brothers so it would be weird to have a third, fourth or fifth Mario brother that we don't know about.

Also that odd, excited jumping guy in the background is suppose to be the original Mario costume of the first game?

Btw, something that slightly bothers me was Peach saying 'I'll never marry a monster like you' during the wedding. In context of Beauty and the Beast and Shrek, where the ugly guy is considered unworthy of love cuz he's a monster / ugly? I'd have felt better if she said it as 'never marry a bully or jerk or evil person'.

I'm overanalyzing again though, haha

I've been rewatching the movie cuz it's a lot of fun. I would have liked more Luigi screentime but his role as companion buddy was taken over by Donkey Kong.

Jack Black and Chris Pratt were great and pretty good. Also Charlie Day. Only Toad's voice was weird to me.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Btw, something that slightly bothers me was Peach saying 'I'll never marry a monster like you' during the wedding. In context of Beauty and the Beast and Shrek, where the ugly guy is considered unworthy of love cuz he's a monster / ugly? I'd have felt better if she said it as 'never marry a bully or jerk or evil person'.
You're reading too much into that line. He's not a monster because he's a large turtle man, he's a monster because he's a tyrannical despot bent on conquering and/or murdering anyone and anything that gets in his way. Physical ugliness is not the root of all monstrosity.

Belle even said so to Gaston: "He's not a monster, Gaston. You are!"

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Wrecking Crew, yeah, that game.

Wait, I rechecked the family dinner scene and... The three other guys now seem older soooo they're Mario and Luigi's uncles? My original issue was if they were other brothers so it would be weird to have a third, fourth or fifth Mario brother that we don't know about.
Yeah, they're uncles, from what I heard.

Also that odd, excited jumping guy in the background is suppose to be the original Mario costume of the first game?

You mean Giuseppe? Or someone else?

If Giuseppe, then I think it's meant to resemble it, but not so much as Mario's outfit does.

I've been rewatching the movie cuz it's a lot of fun. I would have liked more Luigi screentime but his role as companion buddy was taken over by Donkey Kong.
Agreed.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
You're reading too much into that line. He's not a monster because he's a large turtle man, he's a monster because he's a tyrannical despot bent on conquering and/or murdering anyone and anything that gets in his way. Physical ugliness is not the root of all monstrosity.

Belle even said so to Gaston: "He's not a monster, Gaston. You are!"
That's the thing. I dunno. I feel like 'monster' is a race (haha). It'd have been better for me if Peach said 'id never marry a tyrant or despot or murderer like you'. Y'know?

Who's Guiseppe? Is that the background guy who was playing the Jump Man arcade at the start? Who's he?

Attachments

• IMG_20230515_133450.jpg
    IMG_20230515_133450.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 63

Top Bottom