The Kaiju Thread of Building-Smashing, Flame-Breathing, and Slam-Dunking

Haywire

Collecter of Gobots and Godzilla
Citizen
Was just going to post about this. I agree that $20 each is a bit of sticker shock, but the Super7 4" Godzilla figures are $20 and come with zilch. Depending on the quality of the figures, these seem a downright bargain, comparatively. I might cherry-pick a couple and see how they hold up.

...if a retailer like Target gets them, they might go on sale at some point...

Kinda want someone to pick up Gamera in a 4" scale now...

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
$20 doesn't seem too bad. You're not just paying for the amount of plastic, but the versatility. The props add a lot to the display options.

Donocropolis

Olde-Timey Member
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
$20 doesn't seem too bad. You're not just paying for the amount of plastic, but the versatility. The props add a lot to the display options.

That's true. Having a tiny, destructable city really does add to the fun.

Also, there is an Amazon-exclusive "starter" pack that is $40 for 3 figures (variants of the standard Gipsy Danger, Striker Eureka, and Raiju), 4 buildings, a whole army of mini-vehicles, and 2 comics. That's a hell of a deal.

Haywire

Citizen
I pre-ordered the starter set. That is a pretty good value for the money, and the Jaegers have weapons deployed and Raiju is showing off its Gabora homage. Also, noticed that there seem to be places along Raijus body with pairs of tiny holes, so I'm wondering if it's body and tail have a somewhat bendy feature?

Donocropolis

Olde-Timey Member
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I pre-ordered the starter set. That is a pretty good value for the money, and the Jaegers have weapons deployed and Raiju is showing off its Gabora homage. Also, noticed that there seem to be places along Raijus body with pairs of tiny holes, so I'm wondering if it's body and tail have a somewhat bendy feature?

I noticed that, too! I'm assuming he's got a bendy tail, which would be great.

Platypus Prime

Citizen
So as I understand it, re: my monster shelf picture on the prior page, I'm supposed to get three or four of these, and just throw them in, right?

Platypus Prime

Citizen
I like the buildings and such! I've seen a few on different boards complaining that they're not 'in scale' with '-insert arbitrary series the poster happened to like-here', but given the history of kaiju not being in scale with themselves depending on the scene, I don't see the problem. Any shelf-scale issues can be easily resolved by careful spacing. Heck, that's how they did it in the original King Kong...

Donocropolis

Olde-Timey Member
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I like the buildings and such! I've seen a few on different boards complaining that they're not 'in scale' with '-insert arbitrary series the poster happened to like-here', but given the history of kaiju not being in scale with themselves depending on the scene, I don't see the problem. Any shelf-scale issues can be easily resolved by careful spacing. Heck, that's how they did it in the original King Kong...

The one thing that is wildly out-of-scale in these sets is the vehicles. Those army trucks are like 6 stories high. I can totally forgive that, though, for the fun of having Knifehead chomping a tank.

Dvandom

Citizen
They look to be pretty close to Monsterpocalypse "scale," which has a similar "that helicopter's rotor circle takes up most of a city block" issue because otherwise the non-monster units would be tiny specks.

---Dave

Paladin

Citizen
He dickey covers up an adams apple the size of a Toyota!

Attachments

• MonsterArts Jet Jaguar.png
    MonsterArts Jet Jaguar.png
    792.4 KB · Views: 42

Platypus Prime

Citizen
Ok, Megalon's back and I don't think the 'giant cockroach' joke went over well with him, he's MAD...

Something something "Drill that will-" something Heavens or somesuch.

I'd love to see a more poseable Jet Jaguar old-style, though I have gotten plenty of mileage out of the Playmates one I got for my birthday and I'm unlikely to change it as it fits very well with nearly everything I have. I don't have a Megalon of any kind, though.

"I Singular Pointed once. It was horrible."

51396815262_6cee9730fa_c.jpg

51232887905_c316767086_z.jpg

Last edited:

Dvandom

Citizen
It's weird how every other one of these shorts gave the opponent some sort of "glow up" (except maybe Hedorah), and Godzilla keeps getting new abilities (energy punch, using thrust from spine energy to pop back up, etc), but Jet Jaguar actually LOST an ability (he's always giant now rather than starting out human sized), looks basically the same as he always did, and has no attacks other than melee (a bit of Toku Libre going on). Maybe that was a reaction to how radically he was different in Singular Point.

---Dave

Haywire

Citizen
I think the Jet Jaguar film stems from a suit recreation; last year it was classic Gigan (separate from the Gigan Rex film), and of course Hedorah before that.
The Ghidorah that shows up at the end of Operation Jet Jaguar is probably there because they just restored that suit for another purpose and wanted to get further use out of it.
I guess they could have shown JJ grow from human size, but it wasn't necessary for the plot of this short. Maybe next year?

I wonder if Toho is taking a page from Tsuburaya's book and getting all these classic suits recreated or restored for future projects? It's great to see some classic kaiju alive on the screen again!

Top Bottom