The Kaiju Thread of Building-Smashing, Flame-Breathing, and Slam-Dunking

Platypus Prime

Citizen
According to my nephew, one is the mommy, one is the daddy, and that little one is the baby. I don't know which either.

52482808573_d8eddfc6d1_z.jpg

Platypus Prime

Citizen
Finally got the 11-inch '54 back long enough to photograph properly!

52489619884_2c655be1e4_z.jpg

And it really IS a good one, my prior stunt-Godzilla, also a Playmates '54 but of a totally different size that I got for $2.50, doesn't even compare.

52489610244_66fabd0def_z.jpg

52489881938_01c2ceb6b7_z.jpg

And alongside the '95, it still looks great. As noted elsewhere, not a lot of articulation, the same as '95 with the neck, shoulders, hips, ankles, and tail base. One LESS in the tail, actually, '95 has a joint near the tip '54 does not, the tail is stuck lying flat.

52489883353_177164cd7a_z.jpg

52489331481_42339507a4_z.jpg

Still, for under $25, a great figure, this has to be one of the 'best buys' in durability, size, and general value I've seen in a while. Also looks surprisingly close to the suit from most angles. It certainly has flaws, but my nephew borrowed it as soon as he saw it and it only just came back, so clearly as a stunt-double for expensive collectibles, while getting the interest of the next generation of fans, it works fine.

Thanks to clearance sales, this entire display cost me less than 35 bucks.

52488845717_9d7387d594_z.jpg

Platypus Prime

Citizen
This is interesting. A Godzilla toy, eight inch, done like a stop-motion puppet, with a rubber body over an armature. So it's basically a miniaturized Godzilla suit done shelf-size. I'm tempted, except I know how well seamless rubber action figures age (they don't). Even the official suits had that problem throughout the franchise history, I'm not sure I want to repeat it on my own shelf. I looked up Mezco's other seamless (Alien, and Batman) and they all have the cracking issues you'd expect from such a construction style.

Haywire

Collecter of Gobots and Godzilla
Citizen
I agree, it looks pretty sweet, but the long-term durability is questionable, and that price tag takes it right out of my range. Not to mention, it would be impossible to keep the 4-year-old away from it. But it looks oh so pretty!

Now, if Mezco or Super7 or Playmates would do an H-B Godzilla and Godzooky set, I'd have to buy 2...

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
There's a teaser for Godzilla x Kong The New Empire!

It should be out next year. It almost sounds like it'll be a prequel, but we'll see.

They might want to rethink the name, though...the "x" makes me think it'll be a Kaiju dating sim or something.

Haywire

Citizen
Anyone have any experience with the Mezco 5-points figures? BBTS has the Destroy All Monsters set #1 on 1-day sale for 49.99, which is pretty tempting, but I don't want to pull the trigger if they're crazy fragile or something. Also, seems like they're bigger than ReAction but smaller than the Bandai/Playmates figures?

Donocropolis

Olde-Timey Member
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
"Roger and Dorothy vs. Godzilla". Let's see who remembers 90's anime! I've GOT to get that Moderoid Big O kit...the Chogokin was like $300 and is worse now, and that's not going to happen.

52925810326_f557f2b558_c.jpg

I don't know who Roger and Dorothy are. but they could also pass as Mulder and Scully

Haywire

Citizen

Official Teaser trailer for the next Toho Godzilla film is up! Godzilla Minus One

(Sounds like what you get when you invite Godzilla to a party?)

Platypus Prime

Citizen
There seems to be a lot of hate for Super7 Biollante online. I love it, though I'm pretty sure I'm not using any of the extra parts as intended.

53047162392_ef57e00b0e_c.jpg

Sort of reminds me of the part of the anime when the Big O fought a giant mutant Christmas tree (that actually did happen on the show). This may be the poinsettia sequel.

Last edited:

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
James Gunn MIGHT be taking the whole "Gods and Monsters" tagline a little more literally than we thought.

Justice League VS Godzilla VS Kong!

kong-1.jpg

This looks like fun.

It really SHOULD be a one-sided fight for the Justice League, though. Superman alone has faced Kryptonite-powered giant apes with Titano (I wonder if he'll show up?). Give Batman enough prep time and I'm sure he can solo Godzilla. And any of the 8 Earth Green Lanterns should just be able to bubble the kaiju up and send them to their own Monster Planet. But, still, this is probably going to be fun.

It'd be fun if Wonder Woman unleashed some of the monsters from Greek Myths on the kaiju, too. Godzilla vs the Hydra could be a fun fight.

It'd be neat if this eventually got turned into a animated movie like Batman vs TMNT did.

Top Bottom