The Kaiju Thread of Building-Smashing, Flame-Breathing, and Slam-Dunking

Haywire

Collecter of Gobots and Godzilla
Citizen
20231106_205733.jpg

When you share 1 washer, and everyone hits laundry day on the same day, the battles are epic...
20231106_205756.jpg

Picked up Bandai's 1973 Godzilla from the Godzilla store. It's a good representation of this era's Godzilla suit, although his dorsal plates are pretty silver, so could easily double as Mechagodzilla in disguise. Kinda makes me wish they'd do a Zone Fighter, though...
20231106_205337.jpg

"Stop the Satellite of Love, I want to get off!"
"Don't smile like that, it will stay that way!"
"Hey, look, dull surprise!"
"Wrong movie, Megalon!"

Haywire

Citizen
I don't dislike that, but it is definitely different from the usual Ultraman formula...curious to see where it goes.

ZacWilliam1

Citizen
Watched the first two episodes of Monarch.

Thoughts: Cool. Mostly I like it. I can imagine it being too slow for some folks but I'm into the Godzilla universe enough to be plenty enough interested in the story and world building and cool monsters are a cool too. The set piece in the ship in episode 2 was nicely suspenseful. The adult characters are all good and well done. The young adult actors in the 2015 timeframe are... not the best actors with at least one clunker of a moment for each, but Kurt Russel does a lot to liven up that timeframe when he drops in.

Looking for ward to episode 3.

-ZacWilliam, my TV offered me 3 month of apple tv free when I clicked on the ap or otherwise I wouldn't likely have bit

Ironbite4

Citizen
Saw Godzilla Minus One. Good movie but I kinda wanted more scenes where they discuss Godzilla's impact on post-War Japan's economy. Instead I got a movie about how soliders sometimes never stop fighting until a giant mutated monster comes to destroy their town. Also found family. Just not enough talk about economics.

Ironbite-5 outta 5 reporters falling off a roof because they're dumb.

Haywire

Citizen
So, there's a clip on the tube of you from Minus One where Godzilla is chasing a boat and there is a bomb in his mouth...

...anyway, does anyone know how Roy Scheider's classic "Smile, you son of a bitch" line in Jaws was translated in Japan? Asking for a friend who feels like that might be an appropriate thing to shout out (or whisper quietly) but only in Japanese...

Haywire

Citizen
Please excuse the double-post, but just got back from Minus One. It is a fantastic movie, definitely a top-tier Godzilla film! Go see it if you can!

ZacWilliam1

Citizen
I definitely want to see it, but I have to say "another Evil Kong" is the most boring possible choice they could have made for this film's bad guy. I want to see lots of weird Kaiju, not "less verbal Planet of the Apes."

-ZacWilliam, That sounds harsher than I mean it. I'm looking forward to watching this. Hope it's cool.

Sjogre

Citizen
Huhn. Why is Godzilla purple? I wasn't sure if it was him at first, but the title seems to make that pretty clear.

On the one limb, this already looks like it's going to be a mess. On another, it's got Godzilla and Kong teaming up to punch the crap out of something, so I'm watching.

Platypus Prime

Citizen
I've just been telling everyone I saw a leaked Spoiler for the plot that I know is absolutely authentic because I just made it up:

Kong is visited by Bubbles the Chimp who makes him realize that he is the reincarnation of the King of Pop and so he takes up his glove to fight for the right to party. Meanwhile Godzilla discovers the true meaning of Christmas and also shows his support for Breast Cancer Awareness.

There's a scene that will pop up in a later trailer that expands on what we already saw, where right after Godzilla bursts from the ice and roars, he looks down and Bubbles says "It's Christmas Day, Sir!" in a Victorian Orphan accent.

ZacWilliam1

Citizen
Anyone else watching Monarch?

It started decently, good monster stuff, good mysteries. The middle few episodes weren't bad but each of the modern-era kids got a focus episode to develop their backstory that may have been a bit over ambitious on the amount of airtime they gave to just the human characters, the last 3 episodes or so have been Really Good. Episode 8 and 9 are both great and have a ton of great lore stuff for the Legendary-Verse.

Really looking forward to the final episode this Thurs. I really hope the show gets a second season.

-ZacWilliam, embarrassing admission: I have not watched Skull Island and I completely missed that John Goodman's character was Bill Randa till I saw it online after episode 9

Haywire

Citizen
I saw Godzilla: Minus One/Minus Color last night, and I have to say, it was awesome! If it's in your area and not too late, I highly recommend going to see it!

"But Haywire," you might ask, "I've already seen Godzilla Minus One, why should I see it again?"
I'll tell you: if Godzilla Minus One was a superior Godzilla film, and honestly great film period, Minus Color is freaking ART! The movie feels like a Kurosawa film, and the shading really does match b&w Japanese films from the era. Also, there's a lot of bits in the film that were likely references to the original (without being outright retreads), but I feel like they were easier to miss in the color version; in b&w they are harder to miss.

Lastly, it's a great movie to support, the themes of dealing with survivors guilt, choosing to live and keep going, and even the distinction they make between fighting to the death vs fighting to protect the life they've built (and rebuilt) is just a real and powerful message. All that, and one of the baddest Godzillas to hit the screen add up to a heck of a movie ride!

A kid leaving the theater last night with his dad summed it up best: "That was a great movie!"

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
Did anybody watch Godzilla vs Kong - New Empire?

No extra scene.

Everything was about Kong. Godzilla was just a guest star.

I thought the mechanical hand looked like something out of Bumblebee. Should have used a different color.

Bad guy was too meh. Not enough threat presence. Even with the cool weapon, he's a total step down from Ghidorah and mecha Godzilla.

It was ok but a bit subpar. Would that I could see Minus One soon.

Top Bottom