The Ever Popular, "What Are You Playing" Thread!

Caldwin

Woobie Destroyer of Worlds
Citizen
I just finished Saints Row IV. I started Saints Row The Third, but the reboot came out yesterday.

Everything I've heard about the reboot has been bad, so I'm probably going to regret getting it. But I did decide to give it a try.

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
I've been jetpack-deep in No Man's Sky... I keep meaning to make a thread but haven't gotten around to it. I'd been eyeing it and Elite Dangerous for a while to look for a space game to scratch that itch, and then they had it on a half-off sale, and I also got some Twitch Drops that included a couple A-class ships and an A-class multi-tool, whichi is a decent leg up once you get to the point where you can redeem them.

I've finished most of the quest-based story, but still got a bunch of the lore to hunt down in-game. It really feels like this is what Starfield is trying to be - it makes me wonder if Todd tried it in 2016 and went "We can do this better" and that set Starfield's direction, like how him watching LotR is why Cyrodil became generic fantasy rather than something closer to the original jungle concept.

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
Lately I've been running the Undead Legacy mod on 7 days to die. It's basically vanilla plus, and the quality of life changes are just fantastic (like storage boxes that "broadcast" their contents to local workstations. My god, so useful.).

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
Here lately I've been playing a bunch of lowrez jam entries. Some of them are QUITE impressive, given the time constraints and technical limitations of the jam.

Aztec in particular is QUITE impressive all around.

Zephyr

Cursed Punweaver
Citizen
Gone back to Stardew Valley a bit with intentions to maybe plink at achievements - all the hours I've put in, I kinda feel like I ought to try to honestly 100% it. Even if that means more fishing.........

Other than that, started SRW T, because clearly I didn't have enough with 30.

MEDdMI

Nonstop Baaka
Citizen
The Splatoon 3 server test/Splatfest on Sat was fun. Full game's out on 9/9.

If anyone else played Dungeon Boyfriend, there's a free update with 2 more weapons (so far, haven't finished it yet).

Caldwin

Citizen
I'm now splitting my time between Saints Row reboot (glad I didn't listen to the reviews) and Cowabunga Collection.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
I acquired a new HOTAS, so I picked up elite dangerous again. I'm even considering the odyssey expansion. Because even if I never go on combat missions, the ability to just get out, walk around, and physically explore the places you're at is a wonderful addition.

Gotta love a game where "these missions suck, I'mma take a nap" is a legitimate strategy.

Zephyr

Cursed Punweaver
Citizen
Been bouncing all over, nothing's really got hooks in me at the moment.

SRW:T - left off early on in a mission for a series I'm not familiar with that isn't really grabbing me with what it's doing (Nadesico), and not having enough others I care about yet to really balance things out.
Gloomwood - early access stealth immersive sim from New Blood, really excellent so far, but holding out for the planned controller support.
TMNT Cowabunga Collection - good for goofing around in for the most part, not much here is really a long-form game, save for Radical Rescue.
Chasm: The Rift demo - apparently this weird-as-shit old slav shooter is getting a steam re-release. I never played the original, but it's a cult classic and was hugely influential on one of my favorite indie shooters, DUSK, so I'm excited to see it happen.
Shovel Knight Dig - roguelite shenanigans, but it's Shovel Knight charm and 16bit style! And I am really, really bad at it, but it's so much more fun and clicks with me more than Pocket Dungeon did.
Gundam Evolution - pew pew gundam overwatch.

MEDdMI

Nonstop Baaka
Citizen
Dungeon Boyfriend update had a 3rd extra character that you fight against to raise their affection, instead of fighting with them. I do want to replay this game at some point, but I'm good for now.

At a standstill on Live A Live. Need to grind, just being lazy about it. Also being lazy with Splatoon 3.

I mentioned this in the Mayhem game thread, I tried the Harvestella demo. I want to like it, but the Day/Night cycle is too short and there was no chill. I guess I'll wait for the full list of romanceable options and reviews to see if the pace slows down later.

With Nintendo Online, I just started Earthbound. Never played it before, and I definitely see the inspiration that Undertale draws from it.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
Alright... so... I finished grounded. Love the game, great game: please make an effort to play it if you can... but it's kinda fucked me up.

No: the ending is true to form for the game content (which is to say: the good ending is literally a late 80's/early 90's action movie cliche. It was pretty awesome.)... but it's been SO LONG since I've played to completion a game that can actually END. Normally it's a survival game so even if you finish the story; you can still putz around the map and keep playing. You literally can't here and It's kind of messing with my head.

Zephyr

Cursed Punweaver
Citizen
I'm not too surprised, given that it's Obsidian - but yeah, for the genre, you'd think they might break their track record for that...

Played through the available first chapter of Cultic, got roughly 8 hours out of it for ten bucks, extremely solid retro shooter with a ton of atmosphere and a pistol that stayed relevant all the way through - in fact, it was my workhorse weapon for the majority of the game. Thinking about having another go since the dev put a patch out since I finished with some ammo rebalances and maybe trying it with the limited color palette off this time for fun.

Also finished the first episode of HROT, another spooky retro shootbang. Very fun, though extremely stingy with health items, I think I savescummed in this more than I did playing Blood, and Blood's like the ball-busting shooter. Still in early access, 2/3 episodes playable, weird as hell but in a good way.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
Just looked at both of those and WOW I was not expecting build engine games. Holyshit, have they gotten theirs moneys worth out of that.

Zephyr

Cursed Punweaver
Citizen
Not exactly build engine - IIRC Cultic was Unity and HROT is a totally original engine, but they definitely got the spirit - Cultic moreso, HROT's a little more on the Quake side in terms of vibe - down to being very, very brown.

Zephyr

Cursed Punweaver
Citizen
Oh yeah. If you want actual-factual modern build, tho, there's Ion Fury. ...which I need to get back to, but I kept running into a weird bug when I was playing where I'd randomly get turned 180 degrees at times. Not fun in a firefight, that.

Caldwin

Citizen
Final Fantasy XII: Zodiac Age, Final Fantasy XIV, Theaterhythm, Metroid Prime.

Something's probably going to have to be put on the back burner.

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
Currently replaying BotW in anticipation of the Tears of the Kingdom's upcoming release.

Top Bottom