Takara Missing Link G1 Series

MrBlud

Citizen
Pictures popped up for this Optimus. Supposedly going to be a full reveal on August 9th.

VERY toyetic. I wonder if this might be the start of something akin to Mattel’s He-Man Origins line. He wouldn’t seem to fit in Legacy or Studio Series and isn’t (strictly speaking) a reissue for that Walmart TF:TM subline.

I’m interested to hear more.

IMG_0849.jpeg

IMG_0850.jpeg

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Oh, cool! I've been wanting a good G1 toy-styled Optimus Prime for a while now, but just never got around to getting it. While I love the advancements we've had then, the original is just a toy icon, and I've long wanted something representing that.

...my cousin also had one when I was a kid that I'd play with. That doesn't necessarily hurt, but I don't think it's as much a driving factor.

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
My snarky side immediately went to seeing the humor in, for the 40th Anniversary, making a literal G1 toy with knees.

I could see this as a nice compromise in a number of areas. Hasbro’s tooling base for reissues is diminishing (and we’re already seeing a LOT of redo on that front), while the biggest reissue demands are for stuff they don’t have the molds for anymore. I don’t see this as having very long legs, but the idea of an Optimus, Starscream, Grimlock, Jazz and a few others in this style peaks my curiousity.

The Phazer

Citizen
My snarky side immediately went to seeing the humor in, for the 40th Anniversary, making a literal G1 toy with knees.

I could see this as a nice compromise in a number of areas. Hasbro’s tooling base for reissues is diminishing (and we’re already seeing a LOT of redo on that front), while the biggest reissue demands are for stuff they don’t have the molds for anymore. I don’t see this as having very long legs, but the idea of an Optimus, Starscream, Grimlock, Jazz and a few others in this style peaks my curiousity.
Prime already had knees tbf, it's hip articulation that was lacking.

This is kinda fun, will depend on how expensive it is, but I don't think there's really scope for a whole line of these. Prime works because he needs quite modest tweaking to modernise - by virtue of his transformation he was by far and away the most articulated 84/85 toy anyway (well, maybe save the non-Diaclone/Microman toys like Jetfire or Shockwave that Takara-Tomy probably can't reuse). There's maybe one or two Autobot cars and Soundwave where this would work but that's it.

TheSupernova

How did we get so dark?
Citizen
I'm really curious to see how this pans out, assuming it's real.

But, I also remember how much Walmart wanted for that G1 Prime reissue a number of years back and wonder how much more expensive this would be...

Donocropolis

Olde-Timey Member
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I could see myself biting on the trailer-less version (already have a decent G1 trailer, so if there are no radical improvements, I don't really need another). I don't know that I'd be all-in for a whole line of these, though.

Oooh, you know what would be really cool? If we got articulated versions of the right characters and a special display board to recreate this on our shelves:

g1box.jpg

tec

Maystor missspelur
Citizen
YES YES YES This is so bought whoever makes it no matter the cost

Dake

Citizen
I could definitely go for a G1-with-knees (G1WK?) subline. Optimus is an easy start since he was already one of the most articulated. But Soundwave with knees that bend the right way, Seekers with knees and elbows? Heck yeah!

It does make it sadder that we'll never get gun Megs again though.

The Phazer

Citizen
The biggest issue with Megatron for the Japanese market is probably more that putting joints in that mold is *hard*. There's only so much you can do with the hip clearance and it would look very awkward.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
This looks every bit as awkward as I imagined it would and I absolutely want one.

Now find a way to do Ultra Magnus. It'll take a feat of engineering, but it would be both awesome and hilarious.

Reactions: tec

Top Bottom