Studio Series discussion

NovaSaber

Citizen
I don't think so.
I know Kup, Ironhide, and Prowl all replaced translucent plastic with opaque, anyway.

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I seem to recall a livestream where they said the Buzzworthy stuff (Kup and Cliffjumper at the time) was at least in part an experiment in using opaque plastic rather than clear, to see how it would be received.

I think the need for different molds isn't for clear vs opaque plastic, but for plastic vs diecast; that came up a whiiile back when people were wondering about the possibility of regular no-diecast releases of the Titanium designs.

I'd welcome an all-painted opaque plastic version of the previous releases. It might even allow for better color matching for Sunstreaker.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
back when people were wondering about the possibility of regular no-diecast releases of the Titanium designs.

That was me. And it was before I bought a few and somehow didn't end up encountering the floppiness you all warned me about.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Mohawk designer notes from Sam Smith:

SS-CORE TF5 The Last Knight Mohawk

Been a bit behind on knocking these BTS posts out for you all, so trying my best to put a post out each month. For the first time ever in his character debut, we finally have a Mohawk figure! Despite how little screen time this character had in the film along with many of the other newly introduced Decepticons, Mohawk made a lasting impression. I personally didn’t love the “2016 Suicide Squad” approach to introducing these characters, but I was a huge fan of this design for the film. Mohawks robot mode reminds me of a Guillermo del Toro tooth fairy and having him transform into a motorcycle gave me that much more appreciation for the design. Sadly Mohawk sees a quick end as disposable Deception fodder which likely resulted in him not receiving an initial figure release alongside of the film.

Having the core scale gave us a perfect format to release this figure in studio series. His skeletal robot mode led to some interesting challenges in developing a transformation. But despite not having much of the alt mode details present on the robot mode, we were able to design a pretty faithful robot that transforms into a successful alt mode that is inspired by the screen used bike. I partnered with Koki Yamada at TT who has done such an incredible job with these core class cycle bots in the past, and he did not disappoint with this one.

Feature wise, we chose to accessorize Mohawk with his concept art knife. Mohawk appears to be a blade-smith, and his robot mode is outfitted in a variety of cutlery, forks and spoons. I’m honestly surprised his alt mode wasn’t a silverware drawer. Mohawk’s presence on screen was indeed a “merc with a mouth”, so jaw articulation to show off his Decepticon insignia braces was critical for this character, along with equipping him with a removable head that was blast effect compatible for recreating his encounter with Bumblebee.

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
Image of Studio Series Core Class Mohawk From Screen to Toy Behind The Scenes (11)__scaled_800.jpg

SS-CORE TF5 The Last Knight Mohawk
Been a bit behind on knocking these BTS posts out for you all, so trying my best to put a post out each month. For the first time ever in his character debut, we finally have a Mohawk figure! Despite how little screen time this character had in the film along with many of the other newly introduced Decepticons, Mohawk made a lasting impression. I personally didn’t love the “2016 Suicide Squad” approach to introducing these characters, but I was a huge fan of this design for the film. Mohawks robot mode reminds me of a Guillermo del Toro tooth fairy and having him transform into a motorcycle gave me that much more appreciation for the design. Sadly Mohawk sees a quick end as disposable Deception fodder which likely resulted in him not receiving an initial figure release alongside of the film.

Having the core scale gave us a perfect format to release this figure in studio series. His skeletal robot mode led to some interesting challenges in developing a transformation. But despite not having much of the alt mode details present on the robot mode, we were able to design a pretty faithful robot that transforms into a successful alt mode that is inspired by the screen used bike. I partnered with Koki Yamada at TT who has done such an incredible job with these core class cycle bots in the past, and he did not disappoint with this one.

Feature wise, we chose to accessorize Mohawk with his concept art knife. Mohawk appears to be a blade-smith, and his robot mode is outfitted in a variety of cutlery, forks and spoons. I’m honestly surprised his alt mode wasn’t a silverware drawer. Mohawk’s presence on screen was indeed a “merc with a mouth”, so jaw articulation to show off his Decepticon insignia braces was critical for this character, along with equipping him with a removable head that was blast effect compatible for recreating his encounter with Bumblebee.

(Source: - https://www.instagram.com/p/C17aFOyu0OE/ )

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
However else the brand grows and moves in the next several years, I hope we never lose this great behind the scenes talk with these people who clearly love what they do.
I'm a fan of the more authentic and personal feel to both these, and some of the Hasbro reveal videos. I used to cringe whenever some random marketing staff in a random TF t-shirt would start talking in a fake, chipper voice about "synergy" or something along the lines of "Hello fellow kids".

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
If they can take a design like Mohawk and make it work, I want Core Class Movie 1 Frenzy with boombox alt mode. He's the last Movie 1 Decepticon.
It'd be neat f it's a boombox that can also split/lay flat/whatever to have a side that's a faux front grille or bumper for Barricade's altmode.

Maybe just go all out and release a new Barricade that can house this Frenzy at the Voyager price point, basically the first Movie toy with with more articulation for both of them and no action gimmick. Good pportunity to drop the clear plastic too; I Ihink I only transformed the original Studio Series release once, as the breakage possibility was so concerning.

Throw in the Interrogator Barricade extendo arms, a disc launching blast effect, a glowy shrunken Allspark, along with the spikewheel accessory from the first release.

Shadewing

Citizen
It'd be neat f it's a boombox that can also split/lay flat/whatever to have a side that's a faux front grille or bumper for Barricade's altmode.

Maybe just go all out and release a new Barricade that can house this Frenzy at the Voyager price point, basically the first Movie toy with with more articulation for both of them and no action gimmick. Good pportunity to drop the clear plastic too; I Ihink I only transformed the original Studio Series release once, as the breakage possibility was so concerning.

Throw in the Interrogator Barricade extendo arms, a disc launching blast effect, a glowy shrunken Allspark, along with the spikewheel accessory from the first release.

That might be a bit much, but with Frenzy, give him a removable head as well, maybe a spider legs accessory for it to plug into. Since that's a movie accurate feature much like with Mohawk. Doesn't need any cellphone accessories or anything, just a way to capture frenzy in both his looks.

Shadewing

Citizen
I think people are misremembering how small Frenzy was in that movie.

Considering we got as a toy:

Capture.JPG

I don't think:

10408735_733564270014439_2543663833577006529_n.jpg

will be much of an issue. Mowhawk isn't much larger. I also can't find any good images of Freezer or Novakane with Humans, but they also made those small lanky-ass models toys too.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
To be fair, Freezer and Novakane didn't transform into anything in the movie, so the toy designers had more creative freedom make them into whatever they wanted.

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I think people are misremembering how small Frenzy was in that movie.
Yeah, it'll always be a concern if we're sticking to that. He's about the size of a person, but compacts down into a boom box. For all the effort put in to avoid mass shifting in that movie, he kind of skirts it.

Maybe they'll just retool Freezer and pack in a non converting boom box accessory, and spider legs that can take the removable head. The main bot would still just have the usual ad hoc altmode, but it beats "just make a tiny static minifigure like Wheelie/Brains/Steeljaw".

Sciflyer

Two arms and one smile
Citizen
Question: has anyone found SS86 Ultra Magnus in the wild, such as Target or somesuch? I know that he is sold out online in most places. Mine is misassembled from the factory (one of the hinges is installed backwards) and it makes proper transformation impossible:

Ultra Magnus 2.PNG

I have been working with Hasbro customer service - who have been great, btw - but they don't have any replacements. They are doing the usual though, of sending me *something* for my troubles, but I don't know what it will be, and I'm betting that it won't be something that I'll be over the moon about.

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
Question: has anyone found SS86 Ultra Magnus in the wild, such as Target or somesuch? I know that he is sold out online in most places. Mine is misassembled from the factory (one of the hinges is installed backwards) and it makes proper transformation impossible:

View attachment 18652

I have been working with Hasbro customer service - who have been great, btw - but they don't have any replacements. They are doing the usual though, of sending me *something* for my troubles, but I don't know what it will be, and I'm betting that it won't be something that I'll be over the moon about.
You should be able to pre-order it from Amazon Japan. The Yen is rather weak at the mo, so the total price, including shipping, might not be so bad?

Donocropolis

Olde-Timey Member
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen

View attachment 18652

Quick question, who did you contact? I just opened my Legacy Animated Optimus and he has a similar issue. There's a warped piece inside of one of his hinges that won't let me transform him into a truck. Doesn't show at all in robot mode, but I'd prefer him not to be an Action Master. A quick glance at the Pulse website says not to contact them for quality issues, only for items damaged in shipment.

Top Bottom