Studio Series discussion

Kup

Citizen
To be fair, Prowl's death scene was one of the most detailed aside from like, Optimus. I'd be scratching my head at marketing it as dead Prowl instead of regular Prowl with a couple orange smoke cloud effects though.

Also, painted sky blue windows always suck.
I’ve never thought about that but you’re right. He, Prime, and Starscream have the most visually memorable deaths in the movie. Brawn at a close fourth.

Gizmoboy

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I'm just going to stick with my Siege Prowl for now. This one doesn't look any better to me than that version.

Lobjob

Citizen
I really want these guys in their G2 colors. I love the dinobots but these prices for all grey, red (and blue!) bots weighs on my wallet.

Glitch

Citizen
After seeing the movie Apelinq should be leader while Primal should be Voyager for Studio Series.

Kup

Citizen
^While a spoiler for some, since it’s out there in this thread now I gotta say, that moment made me sit up in the theater. It’s when I thought “Okay, this isn’t just another Bay film. That’s a deep cut, and shows they paid attention to some of the pre established lore. This is gonna be a good movie.”

And I was right. Only I caught it, but when I told my wife and kids on the way home why that was a big deal, they were like “ah! That makes sense.” It’s the time of fan service that doesn’t detract from the story, and I wish had been more common over the past 15 years or so.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
From the front page, here's some pics from today's fanstream (in case anyone missed it):

Deluxe class Mirage
tt0.png

Leader class Optimus Primal
tt1.png

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
I've preordered both of these figures, thou with Primal, I hope at some point they do a homage paint job to the Beast Wars verison of the character on that mold, same with the rest of the Maximals, the Terrorcons don't need repaints, aside from Nightbird who should get a silve and black repaint done!

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
I've preordered both of these figures, thou with Primal, I hope at some point they do a homage paint job to the Beast Wars verison of the character on that mold, same with the rest of the Maximals, the Terrorcons don't need repaints, aside from Nightbird who should get a silve and black repaint done!
We still haven’t seen the Studio Series Nightbird. We’ve just seen the “lower end” Core Deluxe version. A decade ago, we might have gotten some nifty redeco options, but that doesn’t feel like the way things are done. Especially in Studio Series, where accuracy to the medium is the biggest focus.
I’m obviously wondering how this Primal differs from the Takara one. Getting both regardless.
Takara’s Ultimate Primal will be fun (especially with all those ports), Studio Series will be a glorified puzzle with some accessories for other figures to use.

I posted a big rant in the film thread itself, figured I’d share it here. To say I wasn’t overly impressed with either is an understatement. Especially Optimus Primal.
If there were any toys that demonstrate my continued…frustrations…with the collector segment, it’s those two.
It’s disappointing/baffling/frustrating that the “lesser” Deluxe and Voyager figures “hit their notes” (so to speak) BETTER that the premium/collector segment.

With Mirage, we’ve finally gotten good looks at the Core Deluxe iteration (though, who knows when THAT will be available outside of the Target multipack)...and it’s not a flattering comparison. For the same price, I think Core Deluxe (CD) is actually more reflective of the film’s “vibe” for the design. Even with obvious compromises in parts/sprue counts, articulation and deco, CD captured the lanky look of the character better. Studio Series mostly wins out in a (more than CD) accurate head, the vastly improved deco, and more articulation. But I can see the articulation is resulting in a bulky, likely overly complex, design. At a comparative price point, the CD gets you a better, less hassle-laden, robot mode, but Studio Series nails the Porsche mode.
Frankly, I’m hoping to get a Weaponizer version to have something with some fun in the final product. The biggest boon to me is that the Studio Series feels “un-Mirage” enough I could roll with him as a separate character. But so could the CD version, which may well end up cheaper in the long run.

Optimus Primal ended up being what I was spitballing months ago: a roughly Voyager sized figure bumped to Leader by virtue of complexity and accessories. Which I wouldn’t be too ruffled over…except Hasbro dropped the ball at the finish line. They indicated a darker deco on the final figure, that bumps it up to being better than the Voyager figure (still sad the black and gold deco won’t happen on that). But for all the parts and complexity added…I’m not sure the figure itself ends up appreciably better than the other two options. I give props for the added articulation, especially the hands and opening mouth in beast mode. It’s also nice to see the extra accessories like the Transwarp key, Prime’s ax, and the ability to link the swords (which was seen more in the trailers more than the final film).
But, again, for all the extra parts, extra articulation, how did Hasbro fumble the head? Not once does Primal open his face plate, and even with the excuse of “the film wasn’t done”, at this price point, why isn’t there some sort of option to change it? In trying to make the conversion from ape to robot more distinctive, it just feels like a jumbled mess in the arms and the back of the ape mode is just a Complete cluster. And in robot mode, none really address the foot situation well, but I’m not sure the Studio Series option was the best choice they could have made.
The Voyager, aside from its poor deco choices, would have been MORE than “good enough” for most.

At the $60 price point, we’re comparing the Ultimate figure against the Studio Series. The Ultimate doesn’t have as complicated of an articulation suite, it is basically an up working of the Voyager figure, it does deliver a decent deco, decent accuracy, decent articulation, face options, and some play features which, I feel, has some really value. Whatever accuracy details the Studio Series figure delivers is marred by its own jumbled mess of parts and fumbling on the head. The biggest boon to the Studio Series figure is the extra accessories.

By and large, both Studio Series figures just seem over engineered to placate collectors who EXPECT a Masterpiece level experience for mass retail prices. I’m quite impressed with what the “secondary teams” that had to make do with fewer part counts and deco on the Core Deluxe and Voyager offerings. Again, some tweaks to the sculpts (likely due to needing to be done sooner than Studio Series) some extra deco, and BOTH the Core Mirage and Optimus Primal would be MORE than “good enough”.

Andrusi

Lun!
Citizen
We still haven’t seen the Studio Series Nightbird. We’ve just seen the “lower end” Core Deluxe version.
...huh. So we haven't. I had it in my head that the Buzzworthy one was Studio Series, but thinking about it, that doesn't even make sense since she's in a multipack with Core Cheetor.

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
...huh. So we haven't. I had it in my head that the Buzzworthy one was Studio Series, but thinking about it, that doesn't even make sense since she's in a multipack with Core Cheetor.

To many figures coming out at once, one's brain gets a little scrambled

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
To many figures coming out at once, one's brain gets a little scrambled
Too many figures of the SAME characters :p

I’m waiting to see how Studio Series Nightbird ends up. The Core is fine from a design standpoint, but I’m baffled at the decision to cast so much of her in bronze/gold, especially with how it negatively impacted the vehicle mode. Even the film design only has a splash of bronze, maybe enough to squeeze a little on the deco budget if they REALLY wanted to incorporate those elements into the figure.
I doubt anyone would have complained if she was all black with some splash of purple and some silver on her robot mode. Especially in light of the inaccuracies of the Core line, in general.

Top Bottom