Studio Series discussion

The Mighty Mollusk

Scream all you like, 'cause we're all mad here
Citizen
Saw this today on BBTS. Not Studio Series, but since the thread's about movie toys, it's as good a place as any.

The Phazer

Citizen
So, SDCC reveals -

Core Novakane (Freezer with a new hat)
Core ROTB Exo suit (I like it! Nice drone mode)
Core 86 Frenzy (Red) (Not a surprise but solid)
Deluxe ROTB Nightbird (ehhh, this looks worse than the mainline version to me but maybe better pictures will help)
Voyager Ratchet (Fantastic)
Commander Magnus (Also fantastic, I think they did a great job here).

Not a painted window in sight. They were so full of shit with Brawn.

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
Magnus looks like they are reusing the Kingdom/siege gun, thou it will be intersting to see how he actually transforms, because this will be the second time offically that a G1 Magnus gets to be a car transporter that can actually transport cars, the last one was Combiner wars and before that it was RID2001 Magnus, the kingdom/siege wasn't very good at doing that!

Donocropolis

Olde-Timey Member
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Magnus looks like they are reusing the Kingdom/siege gun, thou it will be intersting to see how he actually transforms, because this will be the second time offically that a G1 Magnus gets to be a car transporter that can actually transport cars, the last one was Combiner wars and before that it was RID2001 Magnus, the kingdom/siege wasn't very good at doing that!

The Kingdom mold was good at having an inner robot, which I found an acceptable trade.

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
So, SDCC reveals -

Core Novakane (Freezer with a new hat)
Core ROTB Exo suit (I like it! Nice drone mode)
Core 86 Frenzy (Red) (Not a surprise but solid)
Deluxe ROTB Nightbird (ehhh, this looks worse than the mainline version to me but maybe better pictures will help)
Voyager Ratchet (Fantastic)
Commander Magnus (Also fantastic, I think they did a great job here).

Not a painted window in sight. They were so full of shit with Brawn.
Not even remotely interested in Nota-Magnus without the white Prime. Easy pass.

Sciflyer

Two arms and one smile
Citizen
I like Magnus enough to get him. I don't mind that he doesn't have a separate, smaller, white Optimus (after all, this is a Studio Series release, and he did not have that feature in the '86 Movie). I've got the Kingdom version and Classics if I really get itchy to display him like that.

Gizmoboy

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I am totally happy with my Siege Magnus. He's a close enough representation to Ultra Magnus for me that I don't plan on getting another. I'm not surprised at SS's lack of inner bot as other's have pointed out. I'm not disappointed in it or anything, I just don't need it.

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
I am totally happy with my Siege Magnus. He's a close enough representation to Ultra Magnus for me that I don't plan on getting another. I'm not surprised at SS's lack of inner bot as other's have pointed out. I'm not disappointed in it or anything, I just don't need it.
I'll be sticking with my OSKO Siege Magnus too. It's the closest thing to a "passable" and "official" CHUG Magnus.

I suppose one day, Hasbro will make one that's fully decent, but not today...

Lobjob

Citizen
I do not need that Magnus but he is beautiful. I will probably grab him. I have a bunch of Optimuses, might as well go all in on Magnus too.

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I'm in for Magnus, despite my traditional preference for having the inner robot. Kinda bummed that we didn't get a similar "smaller robot and super mode" as we've gotten for Armada Prime; this seems like it would've been doable at this price point (and frankly I thought that was the point of putting it here). But ehh. He looks good, and ended up better than the WFC one (but then, low bar), so... fine.

Ratchet I'm waffling on, as I might yet get an upgrade kit to let the Earthrise/Galactic Odyssey one's shield become a repair sled and call it a day.

Nightbird I like the look of, but as with the Beast Weaponizer Arcee, that backpack is going to be annoying. Maybe there's a step the toy photographer/renderer missed where the panels with the winglets fold down? I'd have taken the mainline Deluxe with the beige/bronze replaced with gunmetal. (shrug) I wonder if I can just paint one up.

Exosuit Noah I can take or leave, but maybe there's a repurposing that can be done there thanks to the jet mode.

unluckiness

Now with pinchy claw action!
Citizen
Maybe if Magnus had come out earlier. Stege Magnus has its issues but this doesn't do anything significantly better to warrant a rebuy.

I'm sitting ROTB out completely due to the clusterhug of its toyline.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
It's not like Hasbro and Takara haven't already given us four "inner robot included" Ultra Magnus options for us to pick from in the last five years, those being Siege, Netflix, Premium Finish, and Kingdom.

Top Bottom