Studio Series 86 Appreciation Thread

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
According to leaked retailer listings, Swoop is on deck for some point this year. In preparation, Hasbro is doing new runs for Snarl and Slag, so you could, theory, buy all 5 Dinobots later this year without resorting to secondhand sellers.

The Mighty Mollusk

Scream all you like, 'cause we're all mad here
Citizen
Will they do a second run on Grimlock? Like, regular Grimlock, not the comic colors or whatever else? I didn't buy him because I wasn't sure if they'd do the rest of the Dinobots, but now that they are, I could go for one. I mean, I have the MP, but he doesn't exactly fit in.

Dake

Citizen
I don't understand how they're doing "new" runs on Snarl since we have yet to see the first run right? I mean, I've had mine preordered at EE since he was announced.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
And some specialty stores like GameStop did carry him last year, for however brief that time was.

Dake

Citizen
So weird. Well - glad some folks got 'im. Did anyone on here get him from EE?

Judging by prices on Ebay it must've been extremely limited quantities.

Last edited:

Shadewing

Citizen
So weird. Well - glad some folks got 'im. Did anyone on here get him from EE?

Judging by prices on Ebay it must've been extremely limited quantities.

I almost never pre-order anything from EE anymore as it always feels they are the last to get anything.

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
Will they do a second run on Grimlock? Like, regular Grimlock, not the comic colors or whatever else? I didn't buy him because I wasn't sure if they'd do the rest of the Dinobots, but now that they are, I could go for one. I mean, I have the MP, but he doesn't exactly fit in.
Probably, but between SG, Toxitron and Comic, Hasbro might not have had an “open slot” to rerun the SS86 flavor.

I want to say he DID get a rerun before his repaint tour, but that’s been a few years at this point.

Darth_Prime

Citizen
I've seen Snarl once, at a GameStop, and never ever again since (and I didn't have the money for him at the time, so I missed out). That was last summer/autumn.

Meanwhile, retail stores are still filled to the brim with leftover Sludges and Coronation Starscreams that simpy won't go away.
I saw a coronation SS marked down to $50. 🙄

Walmart out here in Seffner still has Legacy deluxe wave 1 on the shelf. Just mark them down and get new product.

Haywire

Collecter of Gobots and Godzilla
Citizen
I saw a coronation SS marked down to $50. 🙄

Walmart out here in Seffner still has Legacy deluxe wave 1 on the shelf. Just mark them down and get new product.

My nearest Walmart still has SS86 Kup and Blurr filling every Studio Series hook since 2(?) Christmases ago. I have to go 25 miles or more to see any new Studio Series figures.

On the other hand, when they had the Velocitron collection, I got Hauler and Override for like $10 or $12 each when they went to clearance. There is literally no rhyme or reason to what goes on clearance and what pegwarms here.

TheSupernova

How did we get so dark?
Citizen
Perhaps has far as Walmart is concerned, it's all Studio Series, regardless of age. Same with Legacy. There's no need a clearance a perpetual toyline.

Donocropolis

Olde-Timey Member
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Yeah, I think they only ever really put things on clearance when the line itself changes name. They don't seem to recognize the difference between waves, so much.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
That's been a wrinkle in Hasbro's retail strategy for some time. Big retailers can't be made to care about the wave system. Imagine what it would actually take for Walmart to manage that for all the stuff they sell.

Kup

Citizen
This is why I advocated a few years ago that we should have one wave toylines. Legacy United is still Legacy as far as Walmart is concerned. And if Arcee and Skids are there there, you’re not gonna see Animated Bee.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
That would backfire. Retailers would see one wave as not worth their time.

It's a puzzle. Retailers want a line that lasts multiple waves so they know they'll have a while before they have to think about switching over to the next new thing, but they also want to consider those multiple waves as essentially the same thing. They don't care if Hasbro wants to move on to wave 7. Wave 1 is still just as good as ever.

It does make sense when you consider other toylines. Parents looking for Spider-Man don't know whether they're looking at a wave 1 or wave 2 toy, and will do absolutely everything in their power to refuse to notice a difference if their kid asked for a specific one. Parents and retailers agree, it's all just Spider-Man. Transformers just doesn't fit that retail model as neatly. Hasbro tried with Bumblebee, and retailers loved it, but we hated it.

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
Doesn't hurt that some retailers simply don't restock until the existing stuff is gone, and also cannot move the stuff they stocked because it's not the shit that people want. The walmarts up near me still have fairly thin toy aisles from christmas, but we're also a good two months away from a refresh because toys don't make money outside oct-dec.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
That would backfire. Retailers would see one wave as not worth their time.

It's a puzzle. Retailers want a line that lasts multiple waves so they know they'll have a while before they have to think about switching over to the next new thing, but they also want to consider those multiple waves as essentially the same thing. They don't care if Hasbro wants to move on to wave 7. Wave 1 is still just as good as ever.

It does make sense when you consider other toylines. Parents looking for Spider-Man don't know whether they're looking at a wave 1 or wave 2 toy, and will do absolutely everything in their power to refuse to notice a difference if their kid asked for a specific one. Parents and retailers agree, it's all just Spider-Man. Transformers just doesn't fit that retail model as neatly. Hasbro tried with Bumblebee, and retailers loved it, but we hated it.

Well, here is the question I want answered. Why not have Wave 1 be essentially waves 1,2, and 3 into one wave with one figure per box? I mean Target and Walmart always way over-order Wave 1, almost skip wave 2, put out some Wave 3, and maybe have a sighting or two of later waves after that.

I should state that shopping at retail has just got so difficult since the plague, that I just pre-order anything I want these days online. Any toys I get in store are usually just for the kids.

Top Bottom