Studio Series 86 Appreciation Thread

Sciflyer

Two arms and one smile
Citizen
I ceased my in-person toy hunting years ago. It was fun to a point, but became far too frustrating (and expensive!) to continue. If I find something toy-related that I want at a brick and mortar store these days, it's usually a happy accident. Preordering online is definitely the way to go if you're sure that you want something.

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
There's one place in town that sells Transformers now and they still have Kingdom toys up last I checked.
I just got a kingdom blaster from the liquidation retailer not far from here. Brick and mortar for anything other than necessities has been miserable since the pandemic.

MrBlud

Citizen
If you want informed ordering then someone (either Hasbro or retailers) is going to have to put the time and money into enacting it.

Both seem very hesitant.

Right now Transformers has an absolute gut of product. 90% of which isn’t going to *ever* move at full price and even steep discount is doubtful. They’re running almost SIX LINES once you factor in exclusives.

-Legacy
-Studio Series
-Rise of the Beasts
-Earthspark
-RED
-Toxitron/Buzzworthy

*I* can’t even keep that straight and I’m a fan of the property.

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
It's still money they don't need to spend (either side.) for results that aren't immediately going to show ridiculous results. Would there be a long term benefit, to all parties? Yeah, probably. Will it be enough of a benefit for anyone other than the consumer (and frankly, who ******* cares what the consumer wants.) to merit implementation? Absolutely not.

If hasbro thought they would make more money by throwing their product in a ditch for us to scrounge and assemble ourselves, walmart will happily rent them the ditch.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Even if Walmart wanted to pay that much attention to what they're ordering, they can't do that for every product line they carry. They're just too big.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Even if Walmart wanted to pay that much attention to what they're ordering, they can't do that for every product line they carry. They're just too big.

Which is why the wave compression system would work. Its what they are currently doing, but handled better. Oh, you have sold 30 boxes of W1-3, then here is 30 more of W1-3. If you have 10 Bumblebees left over, now you 40 Bumblebees, 30 Primes, 30 shockwaves, 30 Starscreams, 30 prowls, etc....

Peg warmers is the only problem here, but that could be easily identified, and quite honestly would be more difficult to happen as you only get one of that figure per box instead of multiples.

You also get a much better selection of toys with 12 deluxes to choose from instead of four. It would look more like the Toy aisles of the 80s than it does today.

1708526513441.png

1708526590777.png

1708526866578.png

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
Transformers at my local toy shop most of the time barely have a single shelf to themselves, let alone a couple of bays, while my local Supermarket barely stock any Transformers and last I saw was the odd Earthspark figure sat on the shelf, in a sea of other toys, sure my local Toy shop is pretty small, but the supermarket is the largest in the region, yet over time, much of the top floor has been sealed off for staff, my guess is that they use it as a warehouse for the clothes, while the part they did use to storage clothes is now for the home delivery of food and every day stuff people needed, thou that's just me guessing as you cannot see what up there any more!

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I miss the 80's toy aisle. The days where one line got a full 30 foot section. Now most are lucky to get 10' of space.
I miss them too! The giant walls of GI Joes, Star Wars, and TFs were almost hypnotic!

Looking atthe the pictures I posted, its kind of crazy, as you can see Post TFTM toys mixed in with 1984 toys. One of them even has PMOP next to the original prime.

Dake

Citizen
I'm pretty sure the Transformers pics are someone's private collection set up like a store display (notice the Ikea shelves to the right in the first pic - also that it's labeled "20th Century Toy Collector").

Still an effective point of course. The toy aisles of yore were a sight to behold.

Last edited:

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Oh, that would explain my surprise at seeing Powermaster and OG Optimus Prime sharing shelf space.

That's, uh, a lot of duplicates, though. and what's with the price tags? I get going for authenticity, but... wow.

Admittedly, I'd love to display my stuff in a similar way, but... probably fewer duplicates.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I'm pretty sure the Transformers pics are someone's private collection set up like a store display (notice the Ikea shelves to the right in the first pic - also that it's labeled "20th Century Toy Collector").

Still an effective point of course. The toy aisles of yore were a sight to behold.

Yeah, I just noticed that too. What threw me off on that was the idea that someone out there would have a collection like that on Store shelving with that many MISB duplicates of heavy hitters like Jetfire, Optimus, and metroplex, as well as all those G1 deluxes.

Here are some Old School Toy Aisles though:

1708613573643.png

1708613627681.png

1708613665172.png

1708613701905.png

1708613881424.png

Top Bottom