Star Trek: The Original Series and The Next Generation

Status
Not open for further replies.

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
...maybe they also, I dunno, like the taste of it? I mean, that's like saying "who would even want to eat pizza in 25th century, when they should have tastless protein bars for every meal by then?"

People don’t drink coffee for the taste. They drink it for the caffeine. If the taste was the reason people drank coffee, they would be drinking decaf. And almost no one drinks decaf coffee.

Gridlock

Citizen
Gene Roddenberry was at the helm of the first two seasons of Star Trek: The Original Series where it thrived.
He also wrote "Omega Glory", an episode that basically says "USA is such a fantastic country that it spontaneously formed on a completely different planet, including identical (word for word) declaration of independence!"

Kup

Citizen
People don’t drink coffee for the taste. They drink it for the caffeine. If the taste was the reason people drank coffee, they would be drinking decaf. And almost no one drinks decaf coffee.
I drink both: one in the morning and one at night. I drink it black. With (oat) cream. As a latte.

I love my coffee. You’re over generalizing to prove your point on a lot here without understanding that others maybe, just maybe, might have a different perspective than you.

Copper Bezel

Revenge against God for the crime of Being.
Citizen
I like it and felt it worked. Initially i wasn't huge on it but it quickly won me over and continued to do so.
And I still haven't actually finished my rewatch either so I might not be caught up to where you got on, although nothing about this story thread has been "quick".

It's an annoyingly common sentiment I hate to find myself agreeing with, but I'm finding on this watch that I like Odo an awful lot less than I did previously. The outsider angle used to be relatable for me in the way that it was for Data, but Odo hates fun an awful lot, and the way they set up his "collaborator" past, I expected they'd use the time while the station is under Dominion control to redeem him a bit and show his real love for Kira but he just somehow made it worse instead. So that's part of it, I don't really care about seeing Odo happy. The latex looks weird when he smiles anyway.

I did like the episode in which he makes sad faces in the background while Kira and Shakar go on dates, there was some pathos there. I felt invested in both sides of that story and loved the bittersweet ending. Which made it all the worse that Kira and Shakar broke up offscreen to make her available again when it was convenient to pick up that thread again. And Kira finding out about Odo's feelings for her from his alternate future self, which means she retroactively didn't know at the end of the other episode when she asked about Odo's belt, which retroactively spoils the aforementioned unspoken bittersweetness of it.

Anyway I would have been much happier for him to end up with Lwaxana Troi. He actually participated in cute couple energy there.

Why do people who don't drink coffee always seem to feel they have such expertise on why other people drink coffee?

Why is this the second time in 24 hours that someone in this thread has said "There's more involved than just factor A" and you've instead responded to the claim "Factor A isn't involved at all" which no one made?

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
Nog is a captain in the STO timeline too, and actually is fairly important to how the whole Iconian War turns out. His ship is the USS Chimera, namesake of the Chimera class, and Eaglemoss did actually get it out before they closed, as one of the early STO ship releases they did.

Chimera_class.jpg

The design was one of the original candidates for the Enterprise F, before CBS et al decided on the Odyssey.

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
Nog is a captain in the STO timeline too, and actually is fairly important to how the whole Iconian War turns out. His ship is the USS Chimera, namesake of the Chimera class, and Eaglemoss did actually get it out before they closed, as one of the early STO ship releases they did.

Chimera_class.jpg

The design was one of the original candidates for the Enterprise F, before CBS et al decided on the Odyssey.

“Chimera” is a bad name for Starfleet starships. That’s a scary term. Chimeras can refer to genetically engineered creatures made from different animals, even human/animal hybrids.

Copper Bezel

Citizen
Scarier for them than for us at that rate I'd think, but the original meaning was a composite monster from Greek myth, which is what's being referenced here. There is a successor Manticore class, named for another composite monster.

It's also not a very typical Starfleet ship. It's got crazy transforming bits on both ends and the saucer transformation is for the sole purpose of having more places to put phaser strips.

Good to know once in a while that we're actually not in the worst timeline.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen

Chimera_class.jpg

What's STO?!? Nog is a captain again in another timeline? That's just amazing! He really does have greatness in him!

OMQ, Kira will start dating Shakaar, her former resistance captain?! WTFerengi?!?

I don't know the year and the social climate but when Jadzia kissed her former life wife, how did people react?

Copper Bezel

Citizen
I wasn't very socially plugged in at the time so I really have no idea on that last question sadly.

I feel bad spoiling all those things now. X ]

STO is Star Trek Online, an MMO-like game where you do missions and buy starships. Since it's monetized around the ships and players want to collect them, the gameplay is less important to understand than the massive catalogue of ships they've been building up over the years, many of them designed with close attention to Star Trek film and TV design conventions and designers and with a couple of notable designers of their own whose names are known in the community etc. Meanwhile TV-canon Trek came back, but the first couple of years with Discovery and Picard were light on ships and heavy on reuses (especially Picard) and the disparity got big enough that the show teams got together with STO, and Picard S2 and S3 took advantage of this existing catalogue of ship classes and names and sometimes even the game models themselves. Some of the major players like the Stargazer, Titan-A, and Intrepid were invented for Picard, but basically everything else in Starfleet now that wasn't in First Contact came from STO in one form or another. The Odessey-class Enterprise F is a fan favorite design that's been in STO for ages and fanonically treated as the proper successor to the E until Picard made it canon, and backgrounder ships like the Voyager-B and the Reliant class and so on all came straight out of STO.

STO has its own story and histories for the various crew members of the TNG, DS9, and Voyager casts, as well as its own galactic political developments with various hostilities and alignments over time among the various factions. It's even got novels. Less of that actual story material has been integrated into the events of Picard, and even the ships that Picard adopted weren't necessarily brought in with their histories intact. Like timeline-wise, the Enterprise F was decommissioned in Picard before it was launched in STO's timeline.

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
The contest that resulted in the Odyssey class was actually run by CBS itself, with the intent of being the next Enterprise - though it was also well before the revival of Trek TV too, so at the time there was no plan on where to show it off outside STO. It wasn't purely for STO, it just ended up that way for a long while.

And yeah, up until S3 of Picard there was a concerted effort to keep it in line with Picard and the new shows, to the point of removing Icheb from a station he was in after his death, even though he had no major role there and you didn't even know he was there unless you stumbled on him IIRC. S3 blew that wide open though, and with no real way to reconcile Cryptic's going ahead with it officially as their own timeline rather than try to crowbar it into the Prime timeline any further. Certain events in the Iconain war(the same ones I mentioned Nog was involved with) actually makes it real easy to explain the divergence too.

I'd also note that ships aren't the only thing that made it over to Alpha canon. the Risian caracal(which was originally created as a pet for the annual summer events at Risa) actually comes up a few times. Tarka in Discovery S4 mentions one, and you also see one in a cage in Prodigy on the Ferengi ship in episode 7.

ZOYGpWM.png
p3FfA5f.png

STO already came up in this thread before too, when we talked about Dukan'Rex's fate there.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
I relooked. Yeah, I just didn't figure the STO acronym was Online. From all the detailed info given, the game makers must really be huge fans. Sounds heartwarming.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
More stuff happened in DS9.

Time travel Quark and family was goofy. Was the nurse and doctor kissing suppose to hint some important ancestor down the line?

The changelings on Earth was an exciting intrigue two parter aaaaaand Nog was key in solving the mystery. But he's on Earth now and probably went have much eps anymore.

The Shakaar Kira ep happened (Odo wrecked his room, whaaaaaat?!?) and the next ep was Gul Dukat hitting on Kira now that his wife left him. What in heaven's?!?

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
Actors and actresses used working with William Shatner as a reference to get cast on Star Trek: Voyager and Star Trek: Deep Space Nine:

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
Filmation gave us Star Trek The Animated Series:

I think Star Trek fans need to give Filmation He-man and She-ra love and support in return. They need your help. The time is now:

(cued to 14:05)

Give them the POWER!!!!!!

Copper Bezel

Citizen
I don't really know what you're talking about but it's definitely worth pointing out that no one has ever watched or considered watching TAS for the sake of the animation. The fact that Filmation was the lowest bidder to produce the most rudimentary sliding transparency motion and lip-flapped still images required to illustrate the stories in TAS does not qualify them as "giving us" the series. Hell, if no one had bid low enough and the episodes had been released as audio dramas, they'd probably have been more broadly accepted by fans in the years following.

Donocropolis

Olde-Timey Member
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I honestly really like the Animated series. The animation quality is low, no doubt about that, but the writing was actually pretty comparable to the original series, but without the restraints of live-action special effects/prop/set/costume budgets. The fact that they got most of the original cast for voice work was great, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom