Star Trek: The Original Series and The Next Generation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Destron D-69

FF10F0
Citizen
well we're clearly in the reboot timeline Sabrblade, lol over in the the original allspark timeline the ezboard version of this thread is lagging dramatically behind the other one :)

Copper Bezel

Revenge against God for the crime of Being.
Citizen
It's kind of sad that this thread has sort of superseded the main Star Trek discussion thread:

(And, no, that's not an invitation to merge them)
I don't think you should feel bad for a thread. They don't actually have feelings. I know that's not popular to say but it's true.

And no, this thread shouldn't have been a separate one to begin with. Currently running shows get threads because weekly episode discussions would squash any other discussion of other topics that happened to be going on, but it makes no sense to dedicate a thread to shows that aren't currently running or recently run. This wrongheaded brain vomit is original post:

Star Trek appears to have peaked with The Next Generation which surpassed the Original Series when it reached 100 episodes, a feat the original series could not achieve. The Original Series has made a comeback with the most recent movies, and the Next Generation is going out in a blaze of glory with the Picard series.

We don’t need to drive Star Trek into the ground with any more mediocre new series.

The Original Series with only 75 episodes was able keep the fandom alive for more than 20 years until the Next Generation.

The Next Generation took that life and used it to fully realize Gene Roddenberry’s vision.

Star Trek can survive and thrive forever off the combined might and legacy of the Original Series and the Next Generation.

Every other Star Trek series is suckling off the success of those two shows.

I don't see anything in there that necessitates a new separate thread independent of the Star Trek thread that already existed. Maybe as a quarantine, but not otherwise.

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
Legendary actors like Ricardo Monteban made Star Trek The Original Series legit:

(cued to 1:50

That’s what’s called street cred.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
It's kind of sad that this thread has sort of superseded the main Star Trek discussion thread:

(And, no, that's not an invitation to merge them)
Oh, I couldn't tell which thread to post at about DS9. I did remember seeing that thread but I thought it was focusing on whatever Starfleet Academy is. So I posted on this one.

I could continue my DS9 watching comments over there. It does say general discussion.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
I guess since it's past already, I can look up what got him discommendated (is that a word? Haha). I didn't even know he was raised by humans. That's just weird. I thought people liked him cuz he was fiercely Klingon or whatever.

Why is he even in DS9? Next Gen was over and... Worf was the most popular and people wanted him around in a show again? Was DS9 ratings dropping so they added him to boost ratings? Was this like Spike in Buffy then Angel?

Tuxedo Prime

Citizen
Why is he even in DS9? Next Gen was over and... Worf was the most popular and people wanted him around in a show again? Was DS9 ratings dropping so they added him to boost ratings? Was this like Spike in Buffy then Angel?
DS9, like TNG, was in syndication, and therefore didn't have to worry about network ratings as TOS, Voyager and Enterprise did. But with Voyager serving as UPN's flagship show of sorts (at least at first -- UPN would be notorious for rebrands) and the Enterprise-D crew off to the movies every two years or so (until Paramount balked at paying Patrick Stewart X-Men money), DS9 was in sort of the middle child position. While this gave Ron Moore and Ira Stephen Behr a freer hand to write story arcs, there was likely some concern about how to get attention from both the studio and audiences -- especially since there were now competitors in genre television (The X-Files, Babylon 5, Stargate SG-1, etc.).

Having a veteran performer and well-known character join the DS9 ensemble seemed a good way to keep that attention. And Moore had quite a bit of experience writing Klingon drama from TNG, so that worked well....

Copper Bezel

Citizen
I didn't even know he was raised by humans. That's just weird. I thought people liked him cuz he was fiercely Klingon or whatever.
He is though. He was raised by his human adoptive parents since he was five or six, but chose to fully embrace his Klingon background since, in spite of the friction that sometimes results from that in a Federation environment. He's patterned himself after the ideals that represents to him, which is why he's so different from the average Klingon - more idealistic, less fun, and very dedicated to his ideal of what it means to be a Klingon warrior, because it's something he's always had to prove, both to humans and other Federation types as well as to his fellow Klingons.

It's a real phenomenon that in some circumstances, people who move from one cultural context into another will double down on things that they feel define them as different from their new social context, because it becomes more important and also more vulnerable to them as a part of their identity. Klingons are also still discriminated against in the Federation, which probably means he has to struggle to maintain the validity of his identity above and beyond just boundary maintenance.

So that's the two-by-four up his ass. I honestly have no idea why people like him, but I recognize that people have different experiences and respond differently to particular characters.

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
The reason why Star Trek is not as big as Star Wars is because Paramount has never put out or shown any interest in putting out a halfway decent toy program for kids:

and it’s gotten worse over the years, with them releasing only adult collectibles:

Toys are where the big money is at it.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Right, because Paramount are the ones responsible for the toys and not, you know, actual toy-manufacturing companies.

Copper Bezel

Citizen
And don't forget - some tried.

1688933714719.png

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
Even in the 23rd Century physical books are preferred over digital devices:

That’s why libraries will never go out of style.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Star trek toys have always been scarce. Growing up, I only had some Star Trek Micromachines of the three of the ships. Meanwhile, Star Wars toys were everywhere.\

I do remember seeing ads for TNG figures, I can't ever recall seeing any in stores.

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
Star trek toys have always been scarce. Growing up, I only had some Star Trek Micromachines of the three of the ships. Meanwhile, Star Wars toys were everywhere.\

I do remember seeing ads for TNG figures, I can't ever recall seeing any in stores.

Star Trek + Toys = Star Wars.

That’s how you balance the equation.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Some of the first Star Trek toys were some red and blue Army Men figurines with bright yellow Army tanks emblazoned with the words "Star Trek" on their sides.

There was also the delightfully stupid light-up helmet that had, of all things, a police siren on top of it.

Both of these, and more bizarre Star Trek toys, can be found here:

Lobjob

Citizen
I dont know, during playmates height I remember always being able to find star trek toys. My only regret is i didnt watch or know much about ds9 as a kid so i have none of those characters and I never got a Seven of Nine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom