Star Trek: The Original Series and The Next Generation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Copper Bezel

Revenge against God for the crime of Being.
Citizen
Yeah, I think those are two sides of the same coin, that's Roddenberry's spirituality as expressed in TOS and TNG and inherited by the rest (and lampooned in LD with the smiling koala.) Organic intelligence can reach a point of enlightenment where it transcends the body and becomes incorporeal. It's space Buddhism, from V'Ger to the Traveller. Nobody gets there by becoming the Borg first, V'Ger needed a human brain or "soul" to do it, and despite handwaving references to "evolution", it has nothing to do with natural selection over a course of eons. It just takes some insufferably smart kid who likes causing warp accidents who's truly pure of spirit.

I take Bashir at his word though, and Bareil's condition at face value. Bashir even name-checks "positronic components" to tell us that this is the same technology used in Data - and not fully realized into truly successful synthetic intelligence in Federation science. Dr. Noonian Soong and Dr. Agnes Jurati are simply the only people who have ever successfully transferred the full human consciousness of a humanoid being into a synthetic brain in Star Trek lore. If we take some of the other magical technologies present in the setting at face value, it seems like it ought to be a trivial task, but it simply isn't. The human mind is something special and possibly spiritual, and that's just lore of the setting we have to accept as canon even if it can be cleverly subverted in some ways. So this particular situation in Deep Space Nine didn't bother me at all.

If it had been possible to replace Bareil's brain with a machine, a whole host of other problems present themselves. In fact no one in Starfleet could ever really die at all, because anyone with a terminal condition could simply be transferred into a positronic matrix in sickbay and stored for later resleeving like Altered Carbon. Immortality technologies already crop up from time to time in Star Trek, like that time Dr. Pulaski was de-aged using a hairbrush, but the last thing it needs is another one.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
The good old days:

Greatest Star Trek mobile game ever. Simple is better.
I have been playing Fleet Command for a few years now. Its a fun addictive MMO style game. The only thing is that you have to keep up with the whales or be in their alliance or you will get squished.

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
I have been playing Fleet Command for a few years now. Its a fun addictive MMO style game. The only thing is that you have to keep up with the whales or be in their alliance or you will get squished.

Non-gamers generally are not into MMO style role-playing games. Star Trek needs to bring in the casual fans, the “normies”. That means making games like Wrath of Gems that people can relax and play, with minimal thinking, during work breaks or when they get home. They don’t have the time or energy for these current Star Trek games. That’s why games like Candy Crush, Angry Birds, and other simplistic games are more popular.

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
These Star Trek documentaries are interesting. You don’t really run into these types of people in everyday life:

Denise Crosby looks good in this one. I’m glad she has repented for turning her back on Next Generation.

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
This is when Starship Captains were treated like kings with perks and fringe benefits:

the good old days.

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
Kirk would have told Starfleet to f#$k off:

Kirk, unlike Picard, has no moral ambiguity or uncertainty. He is a strong, decisive leader.

Copper Bezel

Revenge against God for the crime of Being.
Citizen
TNG 5x21, "The Perfect Mate": Picard allows a woman to be traded as a political gift after she learns a fatalistic sense of duty from him. TNG 7x13, "Homeward": Picard decides to let a society die to protect it from interference that would make it survive per the Prime Directive until he's tricked and has the decision made for him. TNG 7x20, "Journey's End": Picard participates in forceful Native American resettlement until someone else does something.

Picard can be an advocate for justice and individual freedom, even in relation to Data (TNG 3x16: "The Offspring") - but generally at the end of an episode and after a lot of deliberation. I do not in general hold it very strongly against him. He's largely a diplomat, and living in an era of realpolitik with the Romulans, Cardassians, and others. But Kirk or Sisko or even Pike would not have folded and followed orders against their own conscience even temporarily as often as Picard does. Maybe every one of these situations would have turned out the worse for it, but it is absolutely a true observation that Picard is deliberative where other captains tend to be decisive.

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
As the song goes...

Bounce the graviton particle beam
Off the main deflector dish
That's the way we do things, lad
We're making shit up as we wish
The Klingons and the Romulans
Pose no threat to us~~~

Cause if we find
We're in a bind
We'll just make some shit up

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
I know this is out of context, but how does Janeway conclude this:

from the information given to her in this clip.

Also, it makes no sense that they would still be dependent on coffee and Early Grey tea in the case of Picard in the 25th century. That’s primitive.

The Original Series got it right. Dr. McCoy had his hypo spray ready to give Kirk and crew injections of acetylcholine to keep them going.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom