Star Trek: The Original Series and The Next Generation

Status
Not open for further replies.

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
The birth of Star Trek hinged on the success of this show:

“I Love Lucy” provided all the money for Star Trek: The Orignal Series. Without it there would be no Star Trek Next Gen, DS9, Voyager, Enterprise, Discovery, Strange New Worlds, Prodigy, Movies, Picard, etc. today.

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
Captain Kirk was a better captain than at least Janeway and Picard because he did not need to rely on stimulants:

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
I got distracted by rewatching Spectacular Spider-Man eps, haha.

I don't think I like the Dominion reveal but one planet isn't indicative of the whole race. I hope. I thought that woman was his mom, haha

The Kira ep with deep cover and the father desperate to believe her made me tear up. Dang it, why are her eps the ones I get emotional about? Gimme cool Odo eps, c'mon!

Copper Bezel

Revenge against God for the crime of Being.
Citizen
Some damn good stuff in that episode. Honestly this time watching I'm finding Odo doesn't speak to me nearly as much as he did the last time I saw it, and Kira - there are characters I find more appealing for whatever reasons like Bashir and Garak, but for depth, nuance, and pathos, I feel like Sisko is the only one even in the running with Kira.

Lobjob

Citizen
Also, if Tuvok can be rescued offscreen there's no reason Ro couldn't have been either like they intended. They just didn't have time.

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
These Sci-Fi Channel Special Editions were really great. I did not know they were able to bring back Grace Lee Whitney for this:

I was so scared for Yeoman Janice Rand in this episode.

Here are some palette cleansers if you found it too disturbing when they showed the disease she caught:

And here a mint:

Copper Bezel

Citizen
Also, if Tuvok can be rescued offscreen there's no reason Ro couldn't have been either like they intended. They just didn't have time.
Those aren't comparable things at all. No one ever said Tuvok was dead in the first place, he'd just been replaced by a changeling. You could argue whether Vadic's people keeping their prisoners alive was a realistic choice or one that was made just so the show didn't have to kill off all these characters, but the question of whether or not they're doing so isn't even left open for the viewer to guess at, the changeling Tuvok straight up confirms that the real Tuvok is still alive after he's exposed.

A friendly party on the Intrepid could have beamed Ro out of the shuttle - we know that because the dialogue establishes that Titan could have if only the shuttle were a bit closer - and somehow kept her a secret from there. But who and to what end?

Leave the death retcons to Star Wars, they've made an institution of them since Boba Fett. (And now you can just assume that no one who falls down a pit of any kind, in any condition, is really dead.)

Lobjob

Citizen
I mean, the show runner said he wanted to have had Ro beamed off by the Changelings and kept prisoner only to be rescued later. It was going to be a whole thing but there just wasn't time.

Lobjob

Citizen

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I got distracted by rewatching Spectacular Spider-Man eps, haha.

I don't think I like the Dominion reveal but one planet isn't indicative of the whole race. I hope. I thought that woman was his mom, haha

The Kira ep with deep cover and the father desperate to believe her made me tear up. Dang it, why are her eps the ones I get emotional about? Gimme cool Odo eps, c'mon!

I love that episode where Garak is forced to help them rescue Kira. Its literally one of the two times he is completely honest, both of those times are when talking to Sisko.

What have you seen about the Dominion?

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
I'm fuzzy about Garak but I love his friendship with Bashir, since it totally doesn't make sense, haha.

The reveal that the Dominion are
the changelings
kinda bites, from that one guy's point of view. Darn it, darn it! The Jem'Hadar spelling seem crazier but the Dominion probably wouldn't need them, if they just use their full potential. But I guess they want to keep their secret.

Speaking of the Jem'Hadar, I can't believe Odo would throw away everything for that accelerated growth baby warrior. He was fine to forge a new identity for himself and would have, if only the guy went with him. Odo can't be that desperate to create a new identity, can he?

Also Sisko's son is suddenly so tall. Hope he and Nog stay friends.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I'm fuzzy about Garak but I love his friendship with Bashir, since it totally doesn't make sense, haha.

The reveal that the Dominion are
the changelings
kinda bites, from that one guy's point of view. Darn it, darn it! The Jem'Hadar spelling seem crazier but the Dominion probably wouldn't need them, if they just use their full potential. But I guess they want to keep their secret.

Speaking of the Jem'Hadar, I can't believe Odo would throw away everything for that accelerated growth baby warrior. He was fine to forge a new identity for himself and would have, if only the guy went with him. Odo can't be that desperate to create a new identity, can he?

Also Sisko's son is suddenly so tall. Hope he and Nog stay friends.

Yeah, that is a bit of a shock on first viewing.

The dominion breeds its servant races like the Vorta and the Jem Hadar, and they all obey the Founders like they are Deities. Vorta are the voice of the founders and the Jem Hadar are their fist. Expect to see more of both of them. Although that young Jem Hadar you will never see again.

Jake is a neat character and I can spoiler free say that he and Nog stay friends.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
Ugh, it would have been nice for Odo to see that kid Jem Hadar again. That's a shame.

Cool on Jake and Nog. Though I'm not fond of Jake going after that dabo girl.

Which Star Trek series has the least love related stuff going on in the cast?

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Ugh, it would have been nice for Odo to see that kid Jem Hadar again. That's a shame.

Cool on Jake and Nog. Though I'm not fond of Jake going after that dabo girl.

Which Star Trek series has the least love related stuff going on in the cast?
TOS.

None of the main cast hook up until the movies, but Kirk hooks up with a lot of guest starring women.

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen

If you play the Deep Space Nine-centric arc of Star Trek Online(the arc is called Victory is Life) that Jem'Hadar shows back up, and if you make a JH character during one of their "Gamma Recruitment" events, he actually ties in rather heavily to your character story-wise.

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
Marina Sirtis said that Deep Space Nine was okay, but it wasn’t nearly as good as Next Generation. The only reason they had to end Next Generation was because they had to go and make the movies. Deep Space Nine was Deep “Sleep” Nine or Deep Space “Nice”, not really living up to the Next Generation.

Copper Bezel

Citizen
I don't think any of that is real, but if some part of it accidentally is, actors are allowed to be wrong about things! In fact, don't tell anyone I let you know this, but their opinions actually don't matter at all.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Marina Sirtis has also gone on record complaining about how Deanna Troi didn't know anything technical despite her character having seemingly gone to Starfleet Academy where she ought to have attended technical class.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom