So I am making a video game.....

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
It's "else if" in Basic too, unless you're trying to be fancy and use "case" syntax. I always assumed Python was trying to emulate Basic, so it's odd to me too that it uses its own thing.

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
While Python was intended to be easy to read, it wasn't really trying to be a basic-like language. I'm not sure why Python abbreviated else if into elif, but it's probably why Ada does something similar using elsif. Both of them were pretty heavily influenced by the archaic Setl language, though. From what I can find, Setl doesn't actually have an else if analog, though.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
So Unity can be used by the industry again?

On my end, the client is pushing to have the puzzle game finished by Feb but he's always out of touch. I wrote the story last August but he had other guys make puzzles for the first chapter.

And they doesn't follow! Like, if you hang these clothes, a vase will fall down. I'm pushing for some sense of logic here. I know I'm just a hired writer and the client's daughter is on thr development team but, ugh, it could be so much better than nonsense.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
So Unity can be used by the industry again?

On my end, the client is pushing to have the puzzle game finished by Feb but he's always out of touch. I wrote the story last August but he had other guys make puzzles for the first chapter.

And they doesn't follow! Like, if you hang these clothes, a vase will fall down. I'm pushing for some sense of logic here. I know I'm just a hired writer and the client's daughter is on thr development team but, ugh, it could be so much better than nonsense.
They definitely walked back some of the changes, but I honestly didn't keep up with it once I decided to use Gadot.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Working on modifying the demo now to see what I can do with it. I have already expanded it, and I am adding a few features to it. Trying to make a beginning and an end goal.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I found this cool little short video on adding a camera for 2D

I added that and now I have a vertical platformer.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
So one thing I have noticed is that there are a lot of changes in Gdscript between versions 3.3 and 4.1. I kept having issues following a tutorial until I saw the version difference.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
So I have modified my demo game to learn some things. After adding the camera, I have added the pause menu, which is pretty neat. Going to do a few more things to this demo game, and then I figure that I will start on my actual game.

I have learned a few things though, so I am quite pleased with my progress so far.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
So, now that the holiday rush is over, I can start back up on this project this weekend. There are a couple things that I want to do to the demo first just to get a better feel for the game play and design.

1. Add enemies.
2. Add a starting overlay.
3. Add a level finish point to move to the next level.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
So other than the tutorial-breaking changes to Gdscript (why do FOSS developers do this?) how is Godot treating you so far? I have been tempted to give it another try at some point. I didn't like it, but people keep making plugins for it that I wish I had for my project. I don't think it's a flash in a pan. It will overtake Unity.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I have been enjoying it. Just learning how to use it to do what I want. Some of the commands are challenging and some of the code tutorials don't work in the newer version I am using but other than that, I like it.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I'm still working on level 1. I wanted to hop on the low poly craze so I could make the levels as big as possible before they start bogging down the hardware.

But 110000 meshes is still probably too much, right?

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
(why do FOSS developers do this?)
Same reason they do everything. Because they're hobbyist programmers and having to relearn an entire programming language (or whatever hoop they're making their users jump through) is their idea of a fun weekend, and they're incapable of understanding (or accepting) that it isn't everyone else's.

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
Eh, I wouldn't say that. Real reason is FOSS developers generally don't have the financial incentive to keep things consistent between versions. If a high ranking member of a FOSS project decides there is a better way to do something, they end up implementing it, for better or worse.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I guess I should update this thread some too.

I know it has been almost three months, but I had to put this project on hold. My middle child has been having some difficulty at school, so I have been spending my free time helping her improve her grades. While it has worked wonderfully, it has eaten up all of my free time. I hope to get back to this at the end of May when her school year ends.

Top Bottom