So I am making a video game.....

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I was leaning that way, but honestly, I have just been writing out the story and trying to tie it all up. I haven't had too much time to look into the next step yet. Did something happen with Unity recently?

I finished the 23rd chapter in the fourth section/book of the game. I think that the way I incorporated Fallout 1 style gameplay into the game will be liked.

I still have 11-15 game play chapters to go to finish out the game, but I am happy with how the story is coming along.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
Did something happen with Unity recently?
Oh boy did it ever. At least one studio has basically said they're delisting their game once the new terms go into effect. Though I really don't know how they intend to enforce them on existing games that are running on older builds, unless they've been bundling in spyware for years in preparation.

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
Saw a blurb about that earlier today and YEEESH.... Talk about a company shooting themselves n the foot.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
So, I have been looking into Shadows of the Empire, as it was a big deal on the N64 back in the day. However, it looks like a crappy third person shooter with three different vehicle levels thrown in. Was the appeal of this game the fact that it was a Star Wars game in 3D or am I missing something here?

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
So I looked up what is going on with Unity:

Apparently even the executives knew it was a bad idea and sold off a lot of stock before hand.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
So, I have been looking into Shadows of the Empire, as it was a big deal on the N64 back in the day. However, it looks like a crappy third person shooter with three different vehicle levels thrown in. Was the appeal of this game the fact that it was a Star Wars game in 3D or am I missing something here?
See if this doesn't help explain it:

Put succinctly, the game was basically one branch of a multimedia event, the idea of which being, "what if we did everything that would go with the release of a new Star Wars movie, but without the movie?"

I had the game and honestly enjoyed it, though. Lead to me reading the book as well. So I think its place in the Star Wars mythos played into it.

I think (a more devoted SW fan can feel free to correct me) a lot of what was out at the time in terms of new Star Wars fiction was post-Return of the Jedi. The prequels weren't a thing yet, and I'm not sure there was as much "filling in the cracks" between movies as we see today, either.

Being 3D might have been a part of it as well, though I thought 3D Star Wars games existed on PC prior to Shadows, but I could be wrong.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
See if this doesn't help explain it:

Put succinctly, the game was basically one branch of a multimedia event, the idea of which being, "what if we did everything that would go with the release of a new Star Wars movie, but without the movie?"

I had the game and honestly enjoyed it, though. Lead to me reading the book as well. So I think its place in the Star Wars mythos played into it.

I think (a more devoted SW fan can feel free to correct me) a lot of what was out at the time in terms of new Star Wars fiction was post-Return of the Jedi. The prequels weren't a thing yet, and I'm not sure there was as much "filling in the cracks" between movies as we see today, either.

Being 3D might have been a part of it as well, though I thought 3D Star Wars games existed on PC prior to Shadows, but I could be wrong.

Thanks for the info!

There were PC games like X-wing, Tie Fighter, and Dark Forces, but that was the first big console game that let you play a 3D battle of Hoth. I watched all the gameplay last night, and I think that if I use this, it might just be as a way to move around or for story purposes.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
So writing is almost done now. I really struggled to find a way to include Mechwarrior 2 style gameplay in this somehow, but honestly, I can't think of a way to do Mechwarriror without it being giant mechs running around shooting at each other. Also, half the fun was working to save up for upgrades for your mech or to get a better one. So unfortunately, I am just going to have to save that one for something else.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
This should stop the bleeding when it comes to Unity projects that were already deep into development, but I still expect new projects to go elsewhere. Unity's going to be too hard to trust now. They can walk it back all they want, but the CEO's vision for this engine is clear.

Ungnome

Citizen
Yep. The trust is gone. Gonna be awhile before it can be rebuilt. Funny thing is the Unreal Engine's current revenue model was put in place specifically to compete with Unity in the indie market back in the mid 2010's. Unity goes and decided to make their royalty model WAY WORSE than Unreal's and thinks there wouldn't be any blowback. Riccitiello is greedy idiot.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
OK, update time!

I am down to the last two gameplay chapters in the last part of the game, Smash Bros and FF7. FF7 I know by heart and have a good idea on how I am doing it. Smash Bros is something that I am not as familiar with as I didn't really play that much on the N64. I am definitely going to have to look up a bit of gameplay for it. However, IIRC, its just use basic attacks, super moves, and items to do enough damage to knock your opponent off the stage right? Did they have the individualized super moves in the N64 game or was that added later?

This weekend, the wife and I are planning on cleaning up my home office so I can start designing and programming this huge monstrosity of a game.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Update time!

I have now finished writing out the story. Woot! Now comes the fun part, actually building this game! Given everyone's advice, I will be using Godot to try to bring this massive thing to life! I hope to get a chance to start on this part of the project this weekend.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
So I have cleaned up the office a bit that I can get to my PC easier. And I downloaded Gadot and tried this demo out:

It was fun! It's a little simple but a good toe dipping project. I made the demo and changed it up a bit and got my kids to try it out. All they had to do was to get the NInja Frog from one side to the other without falling. They loved it.

Anyone have any good Gadot tutorials they would recommend?

Ungnome

Citizen
Yea, kinda threw me the first couple of times since when I started I was more used to c-style syntax instead of python-style syntax.(I STILL catch myself trying to type else if from time to time, old habits die hard, especially since I do occasionally mess with C-style languages)

Top Bottom