So I am making a video game.....

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Well, I worked two of them into the game, but two of them I didn't find a spot for. I have now finished the 16 Bit council wars, and now moving on to the 32 bitty council worlds vs the 64 world Kingdom.

So any Saturn gamers out there? I have a list of Saturn games that I played with my cousin, as he got that and we got a PS1, so I am not that familiar with the Saturn as I am other consoles.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Update time!

So I am almost through writing the 16bit era. Its taking a bit of time as I wanted to include some popular games that I am not familiar with as much. Let me ask you folks a question. Are any of these games that you played or are familiar with from the 16-bit era:

Actraiser
Super bomberman
Zombies ate my neighbor
Super Star Wars
- Watched my wife play, and checked out coverage when the SNES came out
- Only that it existed
- Same, but more so. Keep wanting to get the re-release
- This was my introduction to Star Wars (if we don't count Muppet Babies)

Well, I worked two of them into the game, but two of them I didn't find a spot for. I have now finished the 16 Bit council wars, and now moving on to the 32 bitty council worlds vs the 64 world Kingdom.

So any Saturn gamers out there? I have a list of Saturn games that I played with my cousin, as he got that and we got a PS1, so I am not that familiar with the Saturn as I am other consoles.
Unfortunately, not yet. Kind of a similar situation here, though I have paid a lot of attention to stuff about it in more recent years.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Started working on the fourth Era yesterday. Hopefully I can get it going and wrap up the story. I have around 40 games in this last era to write for. A lo of them are going to be PS1 and PC games, as that was what I played a lot of. Although I did enjoy playing Saturn at my cousin's house and my friend's N64, so there will be some iconic games from there in it.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Going to have to see about that when I get to the designing/programming portion of the game. However, the goal is to emulate the look and gameplay of the classic games.

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
Wonder how easy it would be to add the vertex jank caused by vertexes on the PS1 being snapped to the nearest screen pixel location or the disabling of perspective correction to simulate the PS1's notorious texture warping.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Unity has plugins for that. I wouldn't be surprised if Godot does too at this point.

Ungnome

Citizen
Thinking about it, both could PROBABLY be simulated using shaders, though I'm not savvy enough with shader coding to know how.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Working on the story now. I had a great idea this weekend on how to change the ending slightly and I am ecstatic about it. However, I am still trying to get there.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
Thinking about it, both could PROBABLY be simulated using shaders, though I'm not savvy enough with shader coding to know how.
Sounds right. I still can't wrap my head around how shaders can be used to warp actual mesh geometry, but that's how Left 4 Dead 2 made its trees bend in the wind during the Hard Rain campaign.

Ungnome

Citizen
It's the magic of vertex shaders. They can do all manner of things to vertices, including modifying their transforms.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
So I just wrote some more of the fourth section of the game, putting me at the 22nd game in this section/era. I am trying to tie in some games to the storyline a little bit more, as a lot of the game has this epic universe building in it, but I am trying to narrow it back to the main characters now at this point.

I do have a question for you folks though. As someone who never played Zelda: Ocarina of Time, what was it about that game that you liked?

Ungnome

Citizen
It was a genre defining game. Between the atmosphere, the dungeon design and the general mechanics, it just worked and worked much better than it had any right too considering the era it was released in. Definitely feels rough around the edges today, though, and not just because of the graphics.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
So, from what I can see, it added autojump and target lock for 3D fighting, and had some great dungeon designs. What can you tell me about the story?

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
The story was depressing in a way that didn't feel forced. It's a game where the world achieved the bad ending and you're trying to undo it, but in this case you spend a meaningful amount of time getting to know the world and its characters first. When you see ruined places, you've been there before and know what they're supposed to look like.

Even when you win and have a chance to set the world right, somehow it still feels very somber and bittersweet, for no obvious reason. It just does.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Okay, so after enough research, I think I have an idea on how to incorporate the gameplay of OoT into my game. I had a character that I need to involve some more in the later parts of the game, and this will be a great way to bring him back into the story.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
That took entirely way too long to write that section out, but I wanted to be as detailed as I could be for that part of the story.

Any other Mech Warrior fans in here?

Top Bottom