Really Useful: A Thomas the Tank Engine thread

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Got a couple more treats from the two Awdry Extravaganzas.

Decades ago, Wilbert Awdry gave two history lectures on the lore of the Island of Sodor as featured in the Railway Series. These were originally presented years before the Island of Sodor book was published in 1987, so these two lectures were some of the first pieces of major world-building for Sodor given outside of the main 26 books themselves.

The lectures were 1972's "Narrow Gauge Rails in Sodor", which focused on the lore and history of the Skarloey, Mid-Sodor, Culdee Fell, and Arlesdale Railways, and 1983's "Railways of Sodor", which focused on the North Western Railway (and all of the individual predecessor railways that combined to form it) and a little bit of the Skarloey and Mid-Sodor Railways.

On August 14 at the 2021 Awdry Extravaganza, railway historian (and self-proclaimed "ferro-equinologist") Tim Dunn gave a live presentation that combined excerpts from these two lectures to make a sort of "best of" hybrid lecture. A recording of this presentation was finally uploaded to YouTube on September 24, 2021:

Granted, the quality of this video isn't great, since it was recorded from afar, and there are some minor glitches here and there in the video, but they attempted to compensate by showing the presentation slides up close on their own in this video, in a sort of split-screen view.

However, after this lecture was given, the members of the Awdry family who were in attendance of the event went looking through the late reverend's archives to find all of the contents that were missing from this presentation, and so on December 24, 2021, Tim Dunn gave a new presentation on YouTube of the entire 1972 lecture, pictures and all, for the "Narrow Gauge Rails in Sodor":

I previously shared this before (twice, even), but I share it again because it's such an importance piece of Thomas lore and history.

But on the subject of actual new content to share, the 1983 "Railways of Sodor" lecture was given in full by Tim Dunn last summer at the 2022 Awdry Extravaganza. Like the 2021 presentation, that one was also recorded and available to those who paid to see the recording streamed online. However, ten days ago on January 7, 2023, Tim Dunn made a brand new recording of this same lecture, made especially for YouTube as a belated Christmas present:

This is what I wanted to share with you all. The preface of the other two videos was merely to provide a full picture of the complete package.

Last edited:

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
At long last, The Unlucky Tug has finally completed his long-awaited retrospective video for Thomas and the Magic Railroad. This is a video that many have been requesting him to make, and have been waiting for years to finally see him make it.

Last edited:

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
HEY!

....Sparkle, Sparkle, Sparkle!

...Okay, I guess I should add something more substantial than that, huh?

I actually grew up on the Shining Time version of Thomas. I actually have some nostalgic fondness for those characters, like Mr Conductor and Stacy Jones and the Jukebox Band. So...I can't really fault the movie for including those characters, even if they don't make sense to anyone outside the US. I actually kind of missed them once they were removed from the show. It somehow felt...less, without them. But, that's probably just nostalgia talking.

Thinking back, maybe the creators were trying a bit to be more like Mr Rogers' Neighborhood. With a "magical land" where all it's characters lived in. Who knows?

I was pretty much out of Shining Time and Thomas by the time the movie came out. I think I watched it in the background on Cartoon Network after it came out. It didn't impress me one way or another. It struck me as being the same as any of the other attempts at making a movie out of a PBS kid's show. Like Elmo in Grouchland or what have you. Nothing special, but I didn't really expect it to be. It was just the style at the time.

At least we got some memes out of it?

Last edited:

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
I will say the model work in TATMR is great at the very least.

Film itself, I mean I like it but I grew up with it but can acknowledge its flaws.

Helps that I view it as its own continuity separate from the actual show.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Helps that I view it as its own continuity separate from the actual show.
Most people do, yeah.

As an update to that video, a second part is forthcoming, as there was so much more to talk about the production side of the movie. But the video keeps getting hit with constant copyright strikes, so The Unlucky Tug is going to have to upload it as an unlisted video and will post the link to it so everyone can see it.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Missed this post...

...Okay, I guess I should add something more substantial than that, huh?

I actually grew up on the Shining Time version of Thomas. I actually have some nostalgic fondness for those characters, like Mr Conductor and Stacy Jones and the Jukebox Band. So...I can't really fault the movie for including those characters, even if they don't make sense to anyone outside the US. I actually kind of missed them once they were removed from the show. It somehow felt...less, without them. But, that's probably just nostalgia talking.
I too had that feeling of "something missing" when watching Thomas on VHS as a kid when it was just the Thomas episodes without the rest of Shining Time Station. It was only the familiar voices of the narrators (Ringo Starr and George Carlin) that kept that sense of familiarity and connection to Shining Time Station.

When the movie came out, like I said in an earlier post, I was absolutely shocked and thrilled to see that series revisited in the movie, since by the time the film came out, Shining Time Station had been long gone from PBS and I never expected to see it returned to ever again (at the time, I didn't yet have cable TV, and so didn't at all know about the Shining Time Station reruns airing on Fox Family and Nick Jr. in the late 90s).

So seeing the world of Shining Time Station in the movie was a big surprise and real treat for me when I first saw the movie in the theater. My jaw dropped upon hearing the words, "Hello. I'm Mr. Conductor." I was also slightly confused about him being played by a different guy, since back then I hadn't seen any Thomas episodes past Series 4, and so knew nothing about Alec Baldwin narrating Series 5. So the movie was my introduction to his affiliation with the series (it might have even been my introduction to him as an actor at all).

I was equally confused about Billy being played by Russell Means instead of Tom Jackson, and was hoping more characters from the show would appear besides just him, Stacy, and the new Mr. C. No Schemer, no Jukebox Band, and none of the familiar recurring faces like J.B. King, Midge Smoot, Mayor Flopdinger, Ginny, Felix Perez, or Barton Winslow showed up. Out of all of them, only Stacy got a role that was anything close to substantial, and that was just when she drove Lily up to Muffle Mountain. After that, Stacy just disappears from the rest of the movie (in the final cut; the extended cut has more scenes of her, but she does absolutely nothing of import in any of those extra scenes). Granted, I didn't know at the time that the actors who played Midge, Ginny, and the Mayor had already passed away by then, but still.

Anyway...

While I still do find this movie, warts and all, incredibly nostalgic, the movie is not only completely frustrating as a Thomas movie (for all of the obvious reasons), but, speaking as a life-long fan of Shining Time Station... it also completely fails to work as a Shining Time Station movie. Thomas fans may get headaches from how much the movie ignored and contradicted established lore and continuity from Thomas & Friends (and its Railway Series roots), but it also ignored and contradicted so much of the established lore and continuity of Shining Time Station.

The movie talks so much about how there's magic in the world that is vital to maintaining the stability and harmony of the entire universe. That was never a thing in Shining Time Station. In that show, the only magic that existed was confined entirely to just Mr. Conductor (and his family members), certain aspects of the station itself (like the Anything Tunnel in the station's mural), and a local wishing well that was mentioned a few times but never actually seen (its magic was twice brought into the station by Mr. C). The entire valley, let alone the entire universe, was never portrayed as anything more than just an ordinary world (much like how the world of Thomas & Friends was).

The Magic Railroad itself being vital to the world's existence is something that the movie just made up. Admittedly, the STS show was very light on fleshing out the lore of the Conductor Family and their relation to the Island of Sodor. But what was known was that the Conductors simply travel to Sodor and back to Shining Time Station (as well as to other destinations) via their Magic Dust's teleportation ability. There was never anything about the Conductor Family being some kind of guardians who help to maintain the balance and order of the entire universe. It was never that kind of "fate of the world is at stake" type of show.

As such, the world of Shining Time seen in the movie also feels only superficially similar to how it was in the show. Namely, the fact that the town itself is even named "Shining Time" at all is something that the show barely ever acknowledged. Outside of the town sign seen in the theme song, the show only ever referred to the town's name a small number of times (once or twice, at most), while the movie makes such a big deal about it for seemingly only one reason: To shallowly draw attention to the fact that this movie is a crossover between Thomas & Friends and Shining Time Station.

In the show, the whole valley was given greater significance than the town. Known as Indian Valley, it was home to the Indian Valley Railroad, on which all trains that visited Shining Time Station traveled. In the movie, the name "Indian Valley" is only ever seen on the side of Billy's engine, the Rainbow Sun, while "Indian Valley Railroad" is only barely visibly seen on Billy's map of the valley that Patch looks at. It's like the show and movie swapped the significance between the name of the town and the name of the valley and its railroad. "Indian Valley Railroad" went from being a vital aspect of the show to a mere Easter egg/footnote in the movie, and vice versa with the town being named "Shining Time".

Two deleted scenes from the movie claim that "Shining Time" is an old railway term that refers to the beginning of a journey, when an engine's wheels start to spin and the rails shine. That goes completely against the final episode of Shining Time Station's third season. Titled "How the Station Got Its Name", the episode established that the station was named "Shining Time Station" after Stacy's grandmother, Gracie Jones, had saved a train from crashing into a horse-drawn carriage that had broken down on the station's tracks, by shining an emergency light from a signal lantern to warn the train. "I saw your light shining just in time!" said the train's grateful engineer. That was how "Shining Time Station" was coined.

Another, quite baffling inconsistency between the show and the movie is how the character of Billy Twofeathers was portrayed. In the movie, he's an all-knowing sage attuned to nature, magic, and the harmony it all brings to the valley. That is almost the exact opposite of how he was in the show. While he was wise and knowledgeable about life experiences, railway history, and Native American folklore, he was more like a mentor or parental figure to the kids who visited the station. When it came to the subject of magic, however, he wasn't some guru who fully understood magic and its importance to the world. He was more like the straight man who was completely bewildered whenever anything magical or supernatural happened in the show. He helped ground the show in reality, always feeling surprised or confused by Mr. Conductor's magical abilities. In one episode, "Becky Makes a Wish", when some wishing magic accidentally ended up running amok throughout the station, Billy got so stressed out by all the magical chaos that he wished he'd never gotten out of bed that day. It nearly drove him nuts.

I won't bother comparing Alec Baldwin's Mr. C to those of Ringo or Carlin since their two Mr. Conductors were already established in the show as being cousins to each other, so there's no inconsistency there; Baldwin's Mr. C is likely just another family member. What IS inconsistent about him, though, is his gold dust. For starters, the movie consistently refers to it as "Gold Dust" and "Sparkle", two terms that were not used in the show. Rather, the stuff was instead called "Magic Dust". A small thing, but considering that Britt Allcroft made both productions, one would think she'd have kept the terminology consistent. Then again, she also didn't keep any consistency between the show and movie with how the stuff even works. In the film, the Gold Dust is stored inside Mr. C's whistle and Junior's kazoo, and is activated by their blowing into either object. In the show, Ringo and Carlin's Mr. Cs didn't need to blow into their whistles to use their Magic Dust. They could just activate its teleportation ability at will, or even wave their hand to perform other magical abilities (like whenever they would summon a Magic Bubble to play a music video for the kids at the station). Their whistles were only ever blown to start the Thomas stories, which were not magical in nature. The whistle was just used as a tool for scene transitions.

Other differences are found in some of the movie's subtleties, the little details that the filmmakers put in to try making the movie feel more connected to the show, but which were done all wrong. For instance, the newspaper seen in the background of the Shining Time scenes in the movie is named "The Shining Times". Cute name, right? Well, that's actually a big slap in the face to the show's continuity. In the show, not only was the local newspaper actually named "The Indian Valley Gazette" (consistently in several episodes, even), but "The Shining Times" was actually the name of a fake newspaper, from an episode where the kids at the station decided to write their own newspaper with articles full of lies and exaggerations (it was an episode where they learned about journalistic integrity). Of the two newspaper names this movie could have chosen, it went with the name of the fake one instead of the legitimate one.

About the only thing from Shining Time Station that this movie got right was Stacy Jones. The correct actress, the correct look, and the correct portrayal. But, to be fair, Didi Conn had already played the character several years before, so she had the experience to get the part right. Though, even with her and Billy's larger roles in the extended cut, their additional scenes only amounted to the two of them just spouting more exposition, in which they make some ridiculously large leaps in logic to uncover the secrets of the Magic Railroad, reaching conclusions without any real prompts that would have led them to those conclusions in any believable way. Very much like how Adam West Batman used to solve the Riddler's riddles with similarly huge leaps in logic.

TATMR may have gotten a whole lot wrong about the continuity and lore of Thomas, but the same is unfortunately just as true (if not moreso) for how much it botched the continuity and lore of Shining Time Station. 😞

And yet...

There is... something... that has come out of this that I can say has a genuinely nice feel to it.

This is a fanmade sequel short, that fully leans into the continuity of the movie, but also brings Schemer into the mix. It is made entirely with models and figurines, and acts like Stacy, Burnett, and Schemer were all old friends who knew each since childhood (when the show made it very clear that Stacy and Schemer only ever first met each other as adults in the second episode of the first season), so I guess that's tracks with movie's lack of adhering to the show's continuity.

Regardless, it is extremely charming, and I can't help but consider it a guilty pleasure:

Last edited:

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
As an update to that video, a second part is forthcoming, as there was so much more to talk about the production side of the movie. But the video keeps getting hit with constant copyright strikes, so The Unlucky Tug is going to have to upload it as an unlisted video and will post the link to it so everyone can see it.
And here it is!

Last edited:

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Oh boy! We got ourselves another Sodor's Finest, today! And it's one that's been LOOOOOOONG-requested by Tug's viewers!

PERCY!!!

Last edited:

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Thomas Theorist has posted a rather interesting video that sheds SO much light on many of the very weird and downright baffling decisions HiT Entertainment made back when they first took over the series in the 2000s.

A production bible from the HiT Model Era was leaked online and this video provides a look inside it to show what exact HiT was thinking when they decided to randomly change so many of the characters in the series from how they had been depicted in the seasons prior to Season 8:

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Who's up for some lost media discoveries?

Production outlines for 11 of the 13 unproduced episodes of the Thomas spinoff Jack and the Pack have been found and uploaded to the Internet. Thomas Theorist gives a rundown of the plots of these 11 never-made episodes in this video:

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
So, I'm fairly late on reporting this, but that Thomas YouTuber whose videos I keep sharing here, The Unlucky Tug, recently uploaded his retrospective video on Series 6, but there's some sad news that led up to its release.

Awhile back, his channel was terminated by YouTube, without any warning. His channel had been connected to an email address that he had used for another channel that had previously been taken down by copyright strikes. His "Unlucky Tug" channel had received no copyright strikes, but because it was connected to that email, down it went. He's been trying to fight back against this, and has started up a new channel in the meantime, reuploading as much of his deleted content as he can. He goes into full details in this video:

Since then, he's been slowly rebuilding much of what all was lost. And the first non-reupload, new-content video of this new channel is the Series 6 retrospective, which was uploaded about two weeks ago:

With the deletion of his old channel, all of his videos that I've posted here in this thread are now dead, so I'll be updating those embeds to the re-uploads in due time.

Last edited:

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Coming much sooner than I, personally, expected, The Unlucky Tug has uploaded his retrospective on Series 7, the final full season for the Classic Era of Thomas the Tank Engine and Friends.

Though, before he moves on to Series 8 (and the HiT Entertainment era as a whole) after this, he'll be doing one more retrospective video for the very last piece of Classic Era Thomas: the short-lived spinoff series Jack and the Sodor Construction Company.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
So, here's something that nobody saw coming: The release of a brand new piece of Shining Time Station merchandise in the year of our Lord 2023!

Specifically, back on May 12 of this year, Silbert Records and Oasis Music released a new digital album of song tracks composed by Steve Horelick, who was the composer and music producer for the Jukebox Band musical segments of Shining Time Station.

The album's name: Shining Time Station: The Juke Box Puppet Band and Animated SingSongs from Season One

3cXU5Pr.jpg

It features 28 of the 37 songs that were played across the first season of the series and its Christmas special. This includes every song performed by the Jukebox Band in that season and four songs from the "Anything Tunnel" sequences (specifically the four stop-motion animated videos featuring a cartoon character on a drinking glass that emerges from a flying kitchen saucer).

The nine remaining Season 1 songs missing from this album are those from either the Picture Machine or Mr. Conductor's Magic Bubble, which were made from either recycled clips of public domain cartoons from the 1930s/1940s, or were made from live-action original works. I'm guessing the reason for their absence in this release is because those nine probably weren't composed by Steve Horelick. The most noticeable absence from this release is the show's theme song!

This album is available for digital purchase at all of the usual places, but can also be listened to for free on YouTube! An auto-generated "Steve Horelick - Topic" channel has created a playlist for the complete album with all 18 tracks:

Speaking personally, this release is incredibly nostalgic for me since Season 1 has always been my favorite season of Shining Time Station, and I eagerly hope to see further releases of the rest of the songs from Season 2, Season 3, and the Family Specials.

Last edited:

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
A new Sodor's Finest is up today, and the character for this one is a bit of a surprising choice:

Cranky the Crane!

Also, I've since gone back and fixed all of The Unlucky Tug's videos that were previously broken in this thread.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
It completely slipped my mind that the Awdry Extravaganza 3 came and went this past weekend.

Here's the announcement trailer that was put up for it:

And here's the six-hour livestream they posted for the event:

Hopefully any oral presentation given at this event will be put online later this Christmas, as has been done for the previous two years.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Though, before he moves on to Series 8 (and the HiT Entertainment era as a whole) after this, he'll be doing one more retrospective video for the very last piece of Classic Era Thomas: the short-lived spinoff series Jack and the Sodor Construction Company.
And here it is!

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Well, here's something I honestly didn't see coming, and comes as impeccable timing for me since, just a few days ago, I finally finished reading the entirety of the Island of Sodor lore book (in PDF form) for the first time ever.

The Unlucky Tug has posted a thorough (but digestible) overview of the Rev. Wilbert Awdry's official map and track layout for the Island of Sodor, going over the geography of every rail line, every station, and every town in accordance to the Railway Series books and Awdry's own designs outside of those books.

Last edited:

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Who's up for another helping of Sodor's Finest? This time... it's a villain!

EDIT: At the very end of this one is also an exclusive teaser trailer for something truly special.

Last edited:

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
This complete flew under my radar.

Six posts above, I shared news of the release, from last May, of a digital album release containing nearly all of the songs from the first season of Shining Time Station. Well, it's happened again.

Four weeks ago, on October 5, 2023, came the release of Shining Time Station: The Juke Box Puppet Band SingSongs from Season Two

I3PeE3m.jpg

Unlike the first release, this album contains only the 20 songs performed in the show by the Jukebox Band, none of the songs from the show's music video sequences. And, the show's theme song itself still remains absent.

But like the first album, this one is available for digital download at all the usual places, and available to listen to for free on YouTube:

One particular song in this album I'd like to draw attention to is the penultimate song in this album, "City of New Orleans". When this song was originally played in the second-to-last episode of Season 2 ("Jingle, Jingle, Jingle"), it was given the unique treatment of continuing to play after to the episode was over, playing over the show's end credits in place of the ending theme song. Yet, even with this extended play time, the song still had to be trimmed down to fit the runtime. Not so, here!

In this album, the FULL version of "City of New Orleans" as originally recorded for Shining Time Station is finally released for the first time ever, featuring the entire version of the song's third verse that was only partially heard in the original episode. This was one of the few songs that never got reused in the Jukebox Band's home video specials, so its full version had never seen the light of day until now!

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Begun, the HiT era, has.

The Unlucky Tug has reached Season 8 in his Thomas retrospective series, finally entering the age of the show when it was fully produced under HiT Entertainment.

Top Bottom