Really Useful: A Thomas the Tank Engine thread

Haywire

Collecter of Gobots and Godzilla
Citizen
20220730_155332.jpg
20220730_154810.jpg
20220730_154802.jpg

So, I know we have some Thomas the Tank Engine fans here, so I thought it might be good to have a dedicated thread for stuff like this.

The Family Museum in Bettendorf, Iowa had a traveling Thomas exhibit, and since my son, Haywire 3, just turned 4, we thought we would make the trip so he could see it. It was about what you can expect from a traveling exhibit, but these caught my eye enough to share: Thomas and Emily models from the live action Era. They look pretty legit, with movable eyes and stuff, so I would think they were genuine. Which is pretty cool, I think!

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Oh, I am gonna have fun in this thread!

Longtime fan, here. Been looking for a place to talk Thomas with other fans. Short of joining an actual Thomas forum, that is, which I really shouldn't do since my time is already divided between so many other websites. It's just better for me to stick where I'm at currently, but I digress.

I can get into more about my history with the series later (as it's almost 3am right now and I need to get to sleep), but I fully plan to contribute more conversation to this thread! And even sharing some pretty great videos from Thomas YouTubers like The Unlucky Tug and such.

The Wilbert Awdry Extravaganza 2 was this past weekend at the Talyllyn Railway over in Wales, and MAN do I wish I could have gone to it.

Last edited:

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
Hello? Yes, hi.

Been a big fan of Thomas & Friends since I was like 4 years old (not joking when I say my earliest memory is seeing Thomas and the Magic Railroad in theaters), but I grew out of the series around age 7-ish and a random nostalgia kick a couple years ago led to me being obsessed with the series again.

Haywire

Collecter of Gobots and Godzilla
Citizen
I remember watching Shining Time Station on PBS as a kid, and I remember really loving the model work. When my son got into Thomas a couple years ago, we started picking up dvds at thrift stores, and I've found I actually appreciate the models and stories more now.

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
Aye, and having recently finished reading the entirety of the original book series makes me cringe even more at what the series has become.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
I can get into more about my history with the series later
Okay! My history with Thomas!

It all began with Shining Time Station. Season 1, specifically. In its first run with this opening:

The first season began in 1989 with this intro, and played in reruns with this one instead:

Since I was born in 1990, I would have been too young at the time to catch the first season when it was first broadcast in reruns on PBS. Luckily, my parents and grandmother had taped all of the first season for my older brother, who was in his toddler years at the time of the first season's broadcast. And it through those VHS tape recordings that I was first introduced to the world of Shining Time Station, and by extension, Thomas the Tank Engine.

My parents continued to record the show on tape into its second and third seasons. To this day, I still have all of those tapes, on which were recorded all of Season 1 (though, the beginnings of "Show and Yell" and "Mapping it Out" got cut off, but I did get to see both in full at least once as a kid), the Christmas special, most of Season 2, and about half of Season 3. And for years, that's all I ever got to see of the show.

But then, when the Family Specials rolled around in 1995... I missed all four of them. By then, I was getting older and into other things (namely The Disney Afternoon), watching PBS less and less (and of course attending day care in the weekday mornings made watching PBS every morning impossible). But the biggest reason I missed the Family Specials was because... I simply didn't know about them. I never knew they existed. We saw no commercials advertising them nor any listings in the TV schedule (which I wouldn't start regularly checking until getting into my Fox Kids years in the late 90s). We thought Shining Time Station had long since ended. So I completely missed out on all four Family Specials in 1995.

However, by sheer happenstance, we managed to catch and record part of the third Family Special, "One of the Family" when a rerun of it aired in 1996! Again, we had no idea the specials even existed, so catching this took us completely by surprise! We got the second half of it recorded on a tape we were using to record episodes of Arthur. And after that, we were sure that Shining Time Station was over for good, never knowing about the "Mr. Conductor's Thomas Tales" episodes that aired in 1997, nor the reruns of Seasons 2 and 3 that later aired on Fox Family and Nick Jr. in the late 90s (and, well, we didn't have cable at the time, so those couldn't have been watched by us anyway).

Outside of Shining Time Station, my parents bought me lots of Thomas toys and videos. My brother originally had wooden railroad track sets of Brio, but only normal non-Thomas engines. But when the Thomas Wooden Railway line came out, we snatched up several those toys since they were compatible with the Brio sets we already had. We also had lots of the metal Thomas models by ERTL, both in the normal scale and the slightly larger scale that used magnets, as well as in the teeny tiny miniature scale. We also had several of the ERTL playsets that the engines could be placed on. To this day, I still have all the Brio and Wooden Railway toys, but of the ERTL toys I only still have the normal and slighty-larger scaled toys. Both the big playsets and the miniatures are long gone.

As for the videos, I had (and still have) Volume 1, Volume 2 (both narrated by Ringo Starr; everything afterward is narrated by George Carlin), Volume 6, Volume 8, Volume 10, Volume 11, the Christmas volume, Volume 12, Volume 13, Volume 14, Volume 15, and Volume 16. Whew!

For the longest time, those tapes and the extent of Shining Time Station that we had recorded were all the exposure I had to Thomas. Between these, I was able to see all of Series 1, all except two episodes of Series 2 ("Daisy" and "Percy's Predicament"), all except three episodes of Series 3 ("Donald's Duck", "Thomas Gets Bumped", and "Tender Engines"), and all except six episodes of Series 4 ("Four Little Engines", "Special Funnel", "Train Stops Play", "Bull's Eyes", "Paint Pots and Queens/Thomas Meets the Queen", and "Mind that Bike"). All of which were of the US dub narrated by Ringo and/or Carlin.

Then... it happened. Thomas and the Magic Railroad hit theaters in 2000 and I begged my parents to take me to see it. Even though I was pushing 10 years old by then and had seen none Series 5 at the time, never knowing about the change in narrator from George Carlin to Alec Baldwin. My mother took both me and younger sister to see it. I loved it at the time (especially with all the Shining Time Station elements, which were a big surprise for me since I never expected to see anything from Shining Time Station ever again all those years after the show had ended it run on PBS), but now... I have more of a love/hate relationship with that movie. And I'm sure most can understand why.

After that, Thomas kind of retreated into the background of my life. The last Wooden Railway and ERTL toys I got were ones released for the Magic Railroad movie (Wooden Railway Lady, Diesel 10, Splatter, and Dodge; and ERTL Lady), and my parents put their foot down on no more new Thomas VHS tapes or DVDs, since I was supposedly "too old for Thomas". I had gotten into other things by then, anyway, so Thomas pretty much took a back seat to Transformers, Digimon, Power Rangers, Gundam, Pokemon, Bionicle, and more.

Yet, there was still one more Thomas thing I was to get at the time. The 1997 edition of the complete volume of The Railway Series books, all 26 written by the Reverend Wilbert Vere Awdry himself! I picked this book up from a local bookstore in the early 2000s and was amazed to see stories that I'd never seen in the TV show before, featuring characters who were never on the show but whom I did have toys of, such as the Culdee Fell Railway engines and Diesel 199. This was my first exposure to the original books and to the original UK terminology like "the Fat Controller" and "trucks" instead of "Sir Topham Hatt" and "freight cars". I kept this big book and still have it too, but didn't read it often since, again, I had other interests at the time.

When Thomas made its return to PBS in the US back in the mid-2000s, I took a casual notice and was curious to see what the then-new episodes were like. This would have been around when HiT took over the series and had Michael Brandon as the new US narrator. Checking out some of these episode when I could... I was not impressed. Either I really had grown too old, or the series had gotten much dumber, or both. Years later, after doing the proper research, I'd find out that "the series got dumber" was the real answer. I didn't watch any of the CGI series, not even when the Brenner Era started and people were saying it was good again. I guess I'd just lost too much faith in the series by that point. It didn't help that the one CGI episode I did tune into out of morbid curiosity was a real stinker: Toby tried to find a place for Bash, Dash, and Ferdinand to live. If they've been on Sodor for a while now, they'd have already been living at some place beforehand. Toby's logic made no sense!

Anyway...

Last edited:

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
(Post was too long. Had to split in two.)

Fast forward to just last year when I discovered that the entirety of Shining Time Station had been uploaded by fans onto YouTube. On a whim, I figured "Eh, why not?" and decided to give the show a complete watch from start to finish, getting to see many episodes and specials that I'd never seen before for the first time in my life (including all the Series, 2, 3, and 4 episodes of Thomas that I'd missed out on). It was quite the nostalgia trip. Around this time, I also got to see the full extended cut of the Magic Railroad movie. It's... fine. I then saw that Amazon had the entire "Classic Era" of Thomas, Series 1-7, available to stream digitally, all narrated by George Carlin, Alec Baldwin, and Michael Brandon. So I gave those a watch, getting to see all the Series 5 and 6 for the first time, while Season 7 I chose not to watch because of what I'd heard about how bad the US version was.

Then I decided to re-watch all of the Classic Era of Thomas again, but this time in the original UK narration. Hearing Ringo say completely different lines, words, and phrases from what I'd grew up with was something else. And then I heard Michael Angelis's dub for the first time and... Oof, not a fan! Just... Okay, he's grown on me a bit since then, but... Yeesh, some of his narrations are just so grating. So many of his lines just ram into each other like Zero Punctuation. His Fat Controller voice is just so dull and lifeless. But I do really like his snooty Cranky the Crane voice, moreso than Alec Baldwin's Cranky. And speaking of Baldwin, I am really not a fan of his character voices for the big engines. He makes Gordon sound like a big dumb oaf, James sounds so whiny all the time, and the less said about his stuffy-nosed Henry voice the better. Conversely, I like his Sir Topham Hatt voice, I LOVE his pirate-y Salty voice, and I find his natural voice to be a perfect match for Toby. So, Angelis and Baldwin both have a lot of ups and downs for me.

When watching the UK version, I also got to see both TUGS and the Jack and the Pack episodes for the first time ever. The Pack is pretty neat, while TUGS is amazing! But once I got past those and Series 7, I just... couldn't keep going into Series 8. Every time I try, I just lose interest by that point. Series 8 marks the start of the HiT Era and it's just so frustrating. I really wanna keep going and see everything, especially the Brenner Era and its movies that all sound wonderful, but getting through the HiT Era and the Miller Era just sounds so painful. It might have been easier for me ifI had grown up with those eras, but I didn't. I'm an old fart who was there at the beginning when things were arguably so much better.

More recently, I've taken to watching several Thomas YouTubers. My favorite has to The Unlucky Tug, whose videos are of a quality unmatched by any other Thomas YouTuber. And it's thanks to him that I finally got to read the Christopher Awdry books, as he found a PDF containing all of them (though one page is missing from the story "Speedkiller" in the book "New Little Engine", but there are voiced readings of that story found on YouTube. I prefer this one). The Finest Cocoa has some great comparison videos between the original Railway Series book stories and their TV series episode adaptations. Headmaster Hastings has done some incredible re-compositions of many vocalized songs from the Thomas TV series. And Train of Thought Podcast is a new series that began earlier this year with two episodes that are anniversary reunions for members of the cast and crew of Shining Time Station, including Didi Conn (Stacy Jones), Rick Siggelkow (executive producer), Nicole Rochelle (Tanya), Craig Marin & Olga Felgemacher (Flexitoon Puppets, Tex and DiDi of the Jukebox Band), Brian O'Connor (Schemer), Danielle Marcot (Becky), and Jonathan Freeman (Tito Swing of the Jukebox Band), with cameo appearances by Kevin Roth (theme song performer), Vaneese Thomas (singing voice for Grace the Bass of the Jukebox Band), Jason Woliner (Matt), and Erica Luttrell (Kara Cupper).

So yeah, that's my lifelong history with Thomas, 32 years in the making.

Last edited:

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
That's a figure I have mixed feelings on (when it comes to the design, I have no experience with the actual figure).

Cause on the hand, it's combining two things I'm a fan of and that's neat.

But on the other hand, it obviously doesn't look anything like Thomas the Tank Engine despite being painted blue and having a Thomas face on it in vehicle mode.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
But on the other hand, it obviously doesn't look anything like Thomas the Tank Engine despite being painted blue and having a Thomas face on it in vehicle mode.
Yeah, one can't just stick Thomas's face on any blue steam engine design and suddenly make it Thomas.

Outside of incredibly rare special-case instances (most famously with Henry in "The Flying Kipper"), total body-form changes like those in Transformers are just not a thing in Thomas fiction.

Last edited:

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
images - 2022-08-03T141051.481.jpeg

There's this Thomas and friends Combiner. It's not even Rail Racer.

Btw, I watched Bullet Train (loved it) and they reference a character named Diesel being the worst train in the Thomas show. Who is he? Is he really that bad?

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
There's this Thomas and friends Combiner.
That's a cheap Chinese KO and you know it!

Specifically a bootleg of Loco Squad.

Btw, I watched Bullet Train (loved it) and they reference a character named Diesel being the worst train in the Thomas show. Who is he? Is he really that bad?
Depends on which "Diesel" they're referring to.

The original "Diesel" (sometimes nicknamed "Devious Diesel") came to the Island of Sodor to be given a trial run. He was supposed to learn how things are done, but instead felt that he was sent to improve things, believing that diesels are "revolutionary". In the original books, this was a metaphor for the dieselization of railways with steam engines being scrapped and replaced by diesel engines. Diesel in particular sought to replace a steam engine named Duck, whom Diesel developed a grudge against after a minor bout of humiliation that Diesel suffered by Duck when Diesel tried to show off.

This grudge led Diesel to try turning the other engines against Duck by spreading lies about him, painting Duck in such a bad light that the man in charge of the engines, Sir Topham Hatt, had little choice but to have Duck sent away to work at another part of the island until things could be sorted out between him and the other engines, who basically wanted Duck's head on a platter after Diesel's dirty work. The episode in which this happens literally ends with Diesel slinking away smirking in gleeful triumph of having successfully made Duck a pariah.

Of course, he was found out in the next episode and sent away. Duck redeemed himself when he saved a runaway train, crashing face first into a building in the process. When he was repaired, he was welcomed back home by the engines who had previously shunned him and were sorry for it. In the books, this was Diesel's last appearance, never to return again. The TV series, however, brought him back multiple times to continue causing mischief and be a general nuisance to the other engines. He'd be sent away a few times more, until the show decided to just keep him around as a regular antagonist but have him work at the steelworks away from the other steam engines, only occasionally crossing paths with them and eventually softening up to learn lessons now and then.

The other "Diesel", properly named "Diesel 10", was first introduced in the movie Thomas and the Magic Railroad as its main antagonist, in which he was a generally homicidal psychopath who actively sought to destroy all the steam engines so he could take over. He had a mechanical grabber claw nicknamed "Pinchy" attached to his top (which some have pointed out as being illegal for the kind of diesel engine that he is), and which he used in the movie to threaten the other characters, both engines and humans alike. He even almost killed Alec Baldwin's character by grabbing him with his claw and nearly dropping him off a tall bridge into a very deep gorge (Baldwin's character only survived by sabotaging the claw to fling him up and away just before it could drop him). Diesel 10 was defeated at the end of the movie when he himself fell on the same bridge as it collapsed underneath him from damage it had sustained earlier in the film. He landed in a barge passing under the bridge in a river that lay far below at the bottom of the gorge. The barge took him away.

Diesel 10 appeared a few more times after that movie, mostly in other direct-to-VHS/DVD movies, still as an antagonist but not quite as evil as he was in the first movie.

There's a few other nameless diesels, but they're mostly one-offs and not likely the "Diesel" that that show was referring to.

Last edited:

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
I'm gonna be real: Diesel 10 scared the shit out of 4 year old me when I saw TATMR in theaters. I remember asking my dad to take me to the bathroom several times when he was on screen.

I still maintain his original characterization is one of the best antagonists this franchise ever had (even if the movie, both the theatrical cut and the workprint, are kind of mediocre films at best that I still love for various reasons and not just nostalgia).

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Specifically a bootleg of Loco Squad.

Huh. I might be wrong about this, but THAT looks like a heavy retool of Liner Dagwon from the Brave series.

Which is possibly ALSO a retool of Tri Bomber from Might Gaine, also part of the Brave series. (This might be a stretch, since this one lacks the Wing Unit, like all the others)

Now, this might just be a VERY similar transformation scheme. But, there at least seems to be some inspiration taken here. We might have a entire evolutionary line!

Last edited:

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
Thanks for the Diesel history. In the Bullet Train movie, he was shown in a sticker sheet but since I don't know what he looks like, I can't tell if he's the one with the claw or without.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
To help kick things off a bit in this thread, I thought I'd share some of The Unlucky Tug's videos. Specifically his "Sodor's Finest" series.

They're kinda like Chris McFeely's "Transformers: The Basics" videos, but for Thomas characters and much longer in length.

The first two were more prototypical in format, with the third one being where the series really took off.

Enjoy:

Last edited:

Top Bottom