Random Transformers Videos

Shadewing

Citizen
That seemed to be a all-the-way-from-the-top issue, as the "Transformers" title was minimized in the Beast Era on both the shows and the figure packaging.

It's somewhat comparable to how Enterprise was just Enterprise in its first two seasons, prompting fans to wonder if someone in production was purposefully avoiding drawing connections, and if so why that was....

The funny thing is that Bob and Larry weren't shy about making connections to What Had Gone Before, once they found out about it. And while they didn't quite have the resources, Mainframe seemed to relish the challenge of bringing the MTMTE cast and "sets" back briefly in their Agenda flashbacks. So if the creative end wasn't embarrassed by G1 (or even G2) connections, who in corporate was, was the question at the back of some minds?

Probably because Beast Wars was put out initially by Kenner, rather then Hasbro proper and G2 had just came and went. This was probably something akin to Nintendo not wanting the DS linked to the Gameboy; new line of transformers, that weren't mechanical or vehicles? Lets hype it as its own brand BEAST WARS transformers That way if it failed, it was just a distant cousin to the brand like Animorph toys were. A sub brand put out by a subdivision, no one wanted touch the main line that had just had it second breath.

As for creative side, they initially wanted to also distance themselves from the original series, acknowledging it while wanting to do their own thing; until the fans started talking and they quickly changed their plans to be "yeah sure, why not?" in the midst of making season 1. It's pretty much because of fan input that we got a lot of the Easter eggs and nods, and eventually The Agenda. The series would have probably been VERY different if not for early internet fandom.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I was kinda surprised that The Daily Show didn't mention or riff on it. Then again, maybe they didn't know.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Sadly, this dismissive attitude toward kids shows was really quite common back then, as children's television in general was looked down upon by the news media as some of the lowest forms of entertainment not worth the time of any mature adult.

To give an example, there are recordings on YouTube of tons of news and talk show interviews with Beatles drummer Ringo Starr from back in the 80s when he became both the first narrator of the Thomas series and one of its main promoters when it was first brought over from the UK to the US, and in every single one of these interviews, the interviewers always asked Ringo the same question each time, something along the lines of "Why? Why would you get yourself involved with children's television? You're a living legend. Why would you waste your time with something so far beneath you?" Of course, they didn't use those exact words to his face, but you could tell (and Ringo could tell) from their tone and body language that that's what they were thinking.

And to each and every single one of these interviewers who asked him this, Ringo always gave the same answer nearly verbatim: "Why not? I like children. I used to be one." This was a man who simply wanted to help spread joy and amusement to the hearts and minds of young viewers on both sides of the Atlantic, and all the TV folk who interviewed him about it were utterly baffled that someone as famous as he would make such an effort for something that they viewed to be a complete waste of time and money, just because it was something aimed at kids.

Last edited:

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
So they reuploaded the fight by itself without any of the rest of the video to explain it? Why?

Also, since when can the Matrix be used as a generic all-powerful laser that hurts anything besides entities of pure evil? Amuro's not exactly Unicron or D-Void, is what I'm saying.

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
So they reuploaded the fight by itself without any of the rest of the video to explain it? Why?

Also, since when can the Matrix be used as a generic all-powerful laser that hurts anything besides entities of pure evil? Amuro's not exactly Unicron or D-Void, is what I'm saying.

I'm guessing its done by someone who has very little clue about the Transformers lore regarding the matrix

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
bonk.jpg

NovaSaber

Citizen
Probably trying to get more views for little effort. They did the same thing with Ryu vs. Jin not long ago.

Yeah, that bugged me when they first did it too. They just...assumed the Matrix could be used as a generic weapon to destroy anything up to Unicron's size, ignoring key facts like Unicron having a specific weakness to the Matrix, and even Unicron's own destruction by the Matrix being more "chain reaction of internal explosions" than "destroyed in one blast"

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen

On that second one: Wow. Some of those voices sound more like GoBots than Transformers.

I don't mean that in a derogatory way, either -- Bumblebee sounds closer to Scooter to me than Bumblebee, for instance.

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
Ugh... god I hate the Animated aesthetics.
I don't mind them in the cartoon, but I hated them for the toys. I think I only bought a two-pack of Optimus and Megatron and that was only due to them being slathered in a Takara metallic paintjob. Other than that, I shunned the whole cursed line.

Top Bottom