Random Thoughts From Out of Nowhere

unluckiness

Now with pinchy claw action!
Citizen
Dude came up with rituals for blood-drinking, looks like a living human and only showed up at night after his resurrection IIRC. Sounds pretty vampire-y to me.

Sharkshadow

Citizen
ah found the pic.
1650295670826.png

Caldwin

Woobie Destroyer of Worlds
Citizen
So I didn't see a thread in Forum of Solitude and didn't want to make one for one observation, but the aspect ratio is 4:3. Why is the ratio 4:3? I googled and saw that this was intentiona. But...why? I mean, I guess I'll watch it. I doubt I'll be able to return it since it's been opene. But...why?

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
Are you talking about Zack Snyder's Justice League?

Technically, those who have been paying attention amidst all the hubbub surrounding Snyder's cut will know that Snyder originally shot Justice League in 4:3 format because the film initially was to be released in cinemas, more importantly, IMAX, which is better suited for 4:3 format.

(IMAX isn't strictly 4:3 but 4:3 is the closest to IMAX resolution)

Caldwin

Citizen
Well, fair enough if that's how it was shot and it wasn't cropped for shits and giggles. It's just weird trying to adjust my brain to it. I honestly thought I had a defective disc at first.

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
Well, fair enough if that's how it was shot and it wasn't cropped for shits and giggles. It's just weird trying to adjust my brain to it. I honestly thought I had a defective disc at first.
Well it's good that you're not one of those people who stretches 4:3 content to widescreen because they don't like the black bars.

Those people are criminals.

Caldwin

Citizen
Dear heavens! I'd rather have a 4:3picture than to have the picture streatched and make everything look deformed. People actually do that?

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
Dear heavens! I'd rather have a 4:3picture than to have the picture streatched and make everything look deformed. People actually do that?
It's often done by people who's logic is: 'Well I paid for this big screen, so I want to use all the screen space' or old people who think it makes it look better because it fills the screen.

Same with old people who'll get a modern HDTV to replace their 30 year old CRT and then complain how 'It doesn't look any better' because they're used to watching CBS or whatever on channel 4 so they still go to channel 4 and are watching the SD channel. (Of course IDK if other services are different, but Comcast's modern cable boxes automatically switch to the HD channel for you)

unluckiness

Citizen
Thor 4 looks pretty bad TBH. Also, Love and Thunder sounds like one of them shitty dollars store romance novels or maybe the triple X parody

unluckiness

Citizen
It’s not a high bar but it is definitely better, a fairly decent movie. At the very least it’s a movie that’s not at thematic or tonal odds with itself like the theatric release

if only its runtime wasn’t measured on a geological scale

Last edited:

Caldwin

Citizen
Okay, it was good. It was really good. But holy crap, it was long! Like, I checked the run time against the Extended Editions of Lord of the Rings and only Return of the King was longer. That was insanely long.

I did enjoy it though. I've seen directors cuts that was only a few added/extended scenes but was mostly the same movie. I've seen directors cuts that really changed the movie into something different. This one in almost unrecognizable from the theatrical.

I really liked it. But holy hell, that run time!

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I've always had a thing for Extended Editions. Every one that exists should be released. I get the reasons why films have their running time cut down for the theatrical release but none of those reasons matter when we're just watching a movie at home.

Someday I will get into Universal's vault and they will have to drag me out.

unluckiness

Citizen
They're a neat look into the process of filmmaking if anything, although if Alien 3 was any proof, some things are beyond saving with extended cuts or whatever.

I still don't get the zillion different versions of Blade Runner

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
Wasn't there some film that was heavily edited before release and the deleted footage was stored in a Romanian salt mine but when they found it years later, it had deteriorated to the point of being unusable and unrestorable, so it's basically lost forever?

Top Bottom