Random Thoughts From Out of Nowhere

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
It's like the opposite of The Passion of Joan of Arc where a copy of the original cut of the film, presumed lost since 1929, was found in a mental institution in Norway in 1981.

Or how the original 2h33m cut of Metropolis was discovered in Argentina in 2008 and it turns out that it'd been in the country since the 1960s or 1970s and was even occasionally screened there. So it wasn't like it was in some archive and randomly discovered, people had actually watched this cut of the film, thought unseen since 1927, and no one realized it until someone heard an anecdote from someone involved with a movie club talking about the length of the version of Metropolis that he'd seen.

The Mighty Mollusk

Scream all you like, 'cause we're all mad here
Citizen
Event Horizon's original cut supposedly had so much gore that it would've been rated NC-17, and the studio refused to release it. There are stories of it driving test audiences out of the screening from disturbing imagery and even some of the film staff and actors refused to remain on set alone.

Then they over-corrected and it became PG-13. You can still see bits of what was cut if you go frame by frame in some scenes where they slipped in some of the bad stuff by just flashing it by too rapidly to focus. There's some sick shit in there.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
One of my holy grails is a workprint of Jaws 2. Everyone who was actually involved in the production day to day wanted it to be good, but the executives wanted it to be stupid. And they didn't want to get an R rating because there was no way they were going to get away with a PG rating again. So they edited down all the attacks (removing one in its entirety which breaks the surrounding scenes!) as well as editing out anything that risked humanizing the characters too much. Can't have that in your movie.

And then there's whatever footage the first director managed to shoot before they fired him as well as the writer and about half the cast. They claimed he was doing a terrible job, but one of his shots is still in the movie and it is the only atmospheric shot in the entire thing. The story doesn't add up.

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
One of my holy grails was a workprint of Thomas and the Magic Railroad. That film was infamously heavily edited following negative response from test screenings, resulting in the replacement of several members of the voice cast (Thomas was originally voiced by a resident of the Island of Man [where they filmed the Sodor scenes] who was a part-time taxi driver and firefighter and James and Percy were both voiced by Michael Angelis, who was the UK narrator for the series at the time, but all their voices were replaced because the American test audiences thought they sounded 'too old' and Diesel 10 was originally voiced by Keith Scott but his voice was replaced because they thought his voice was too scary for kids. They also replaced the voice actor for the characters Splatter and Dodge no one knows 100% why he was replaced nor how much he had recorded for the characters) and, most infamously, the near-complete removal of the character of PT Boomer, a human character who was supposed to be the main villain of the entire film. I say 'near-complete removal' because Boomer is still in two scenes in the final film: there's one scene where another character is talking to someone on a motorcycle and that character is Boomer (with his voice being redubbed) and you can see him on top of Diesel 10 during the final chase scene. There were also some other minor changes like the film was supposed to be narrated by the character of Lily as an adult instead of Mr Conductor.

And this editing genuinely was very last minute. Keith Scott's Diesel 10 audio was used in trailers for the film and PT Boomer not only appeared in the film's theatrical trailer, but he was also in a Japanese trailer, appeared in a couple of tie-in books, and was supposed to have a (cancelled) figure as part of the line of die-cast toys.

So for years, people were trying to find this mythical workprint/director's cut of the film once it became known how much was edited, just to see what the original version was like, especially because one of the most common complaints is how disjoined the theatrical release of TATMR was. (Like a good example of this is during the final chase scene, the character of Burnett Stone tells Diesel 10 that he won't win because 'the magic you refuse to believe in will get the better of you'. The problem with this line is that it's very clear in the film that Diesel 10 believes in magic. He's talks about how Mr Conductor's magic railway is going be over and later on he even tells him that he knows all about the buffers and the magic railway as well. Of course, in the original cut, this line was being delivered to PT Boomer who, even when he's literally interacting with the sentient and talking locomotives still thinks they're nothing more than giant toys) We'd get crumbs here and there like some of PT Boomer's scenes were leaked and the 1999 script was found and archived as well. But the full original cut? Nope, people were still hunting for it.

Then back in 2020 someone found and uploaded the original workprint online and, later that year, the deleted scenes were included on the 20th anniversary BD/DVD release from Shout Factory, so there's that grail having been found and is now watchable.

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
Shout Factory and Discotek Media if you're into vintage anime.

Especially when you consider the fact that apparently Discotek has a grand total of three employees.

unluckiness

Now with pinchy claw action!
Citizen
New DBZ movie looks like a cutscene from Kakarot which isn't really my cup of tea after Broly's artstyle.

Nice to see they remembered non-Goku non-Vegeta people exist. Red Ribbon Army makes me think that this is a ploy to bring back Cell

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen

Only 90s kids will remember. Whether we like it or not.
I remember back like 10 years ago one of those small digital subchannels that no one watches aired this show in repeats as part of their children's block.

I can only assume they either did it because they wanted to air some children's programming and this show was dirt cheap to get the repeat rights to or maybe the children's block was owned by the company that owns the rights to the show.

Caldwin

Woobie Destroyer of Worlds
Citizen
I remember back like 10 years ago one of those small digital subchannels that no one watches aired this show in repeats as part of their children's block.

I can only assume they either did it because they wanted to air some children's programming and this show was dirt cheap to get the repeat rights to or maybe the children's block was owned by the company that owns the rights to the show.

That's really all subchannels are in general: cheap programming streams that the operators can pay minimal attention to and sales departments can still monetize. That some of them have programs people consider worth watching astounds me.

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
I can understand the digital subchannels that either target a specific demographic or air a specific niche of programming (like the ones that just air true crime shows, old game shows, or old sci-fi shows).

But what I can't understand is how there's like ten different ones that are just 'We air classic TV shows from the 1950s to the early 2000s'.

Top Bottom