Random Thoughts From Out of Nowhere

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
I should point out that no nurse came yesterday and instead they are going to come today at some point lmao. I think my grandpa's supposed to get a couple of bandages from his surgery changed daily but well he couldn't get them changed yesterday because not only do I have no idea what the hell to even do, I also don't have any bandages to replace them with. (I would also mention that I very much do not deal with wounds and blood well at all, like 'even a little bit of blood makes me feel woozy and like I'm going to pass out' is the level I am at, but also I would imagine at this point, there likely wouldn't be blood or an open wound anymore from the surgery anyways?)

And I should note that me saying 'I have things I gotta do' is talking about like dental work that I need done. I've had a crown ready to replace a temporary crown for about a week now and haven't gone because 'Oh I'll just wait until my grandpa's home so we can go together because he has some dental work he needs finishing up too' but I still can't go and do that. And I have to go through this same process with another tooth that also has a cavity too.

So basically my grandpa's just been in bed since Thursday evening. I mean I helped him walk to the toilet to take a shit a couple times (and helped him walk back to bed) so he hasn't been just in bed and nothing else but obviously it ain't my job to help him with any physical therapy he still has to deal with. (Like genuinely the discharge papers specifies that the nurse that's coming has to deal with that, which makes sense because I am just his dipshit unemployed 27 year old grandkid, I ain't trained in that kind of stuff)

unluckiness

Not Mecha-Broccoli
Citizen
At this point after the surgery, there shouldn't be blood and if any, it'll be a bit of the crusty dried stuff. Without seeing the operative site and seeing the mention of a bandage, I'd guess it's an elastic bandage secured by a metal pin or tape with a gauze dressing underneath. The bandage is reusable and the gauze is what's supposed to be replaced.
maxresdefault.jpg
Alternatively, they can also place a pre-prepared plastic dressing like the one on the left
ajo044090415_h.jpg
If it's the commercially available dressing, you can take a photo of the dressing and a pharmacy should be able to provide a replacement. You can also replace it with gauze dressing secured with surgical tape but the premade stuff's easier .

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
Well a nurse came yesterday and didn't really do much, all they did was just ask us some questions, look over the paper with the medicines my grandpa is supposed to take (which he hasn't been taking because we don't have any of them), look over some other papers, and then tell us that another nurse will be here on Monday to actually start with like the physical and occupational therapy stuff and also help him do things like wash up and the like.

He's also supposed to start getting meals delivered on Tuesday, which is a bit annoying because our fridges are f-u-l-l.

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
Alright good news, bad news, and good news.

Good news: I have my laptop again

Bad news: I can't turn it on or do anything with it

Good news: Its not dead

If you're wondering 'But if you can't turn it on or use it, how is it not dead?' It's because the ******* people who my repair guy was getting the DC-in part from kept sending him the wrong part while insisting that it was the right part for my laptop. They figured when they had the OG part connected and plugged in and were wiggling it and the charging light turned on and he hit the power button and it started turning on. And then they were wondering 'OK so why is the OG piece working but these replacements aren't?' and they checked and they saw that the replacement parts they'd been sending him were not identical in terms of their pins to the original part.

So what's gonna happen? He's gonna order that part from HP proper (so that way he'll know 100% it's the right part), he'll call me when it arrives, I'll head on over there and it'll literally be a 5 minute job of just removing the bottom panel of my laptop, unscrewing the hinge, installing the new part, double checking to make sure it works, screwing in the hinge, putting the bottom panel back on, paying, and then I'll be outta there.
So that was a ******* lie.

My laptop is now 100% confirmed dead (the new part, which was direct-from-HP the same part as the DC-in) unless I wanna get a motherboard replacement and like...ugh it sucks cause he already replaced my keyboard and screen but also like a new motherboard is $300 at the cheapest on eBay and I really could just use the money towards a new laptop instead.

I mean I've already accepted at this point that my laptop was dead but still.

unluckiness

Not Mecha-Broccoli
Citizen
Yeah you could get a decent brand new laptop or a reasonably good condition comparatively higher end used/refurbished one for that much.

unluckiness

Not Mecha-Broccoli
Citizen
had to add another sheet of glass to my aquarium cover because my betta jumped out of the tank. Thankfully, since the things breathe air, he’s back to normal after getting rehydrated.

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
For $300 I would just buy a new laptop. Enough's enough.
I mean I'm gonna get another gaming laptop so add at least another couple hundred to that (depending on sales and where you look, you can get a budget gaming laptop for around $500-600, think this HP one was like $650 on-sale back in 2020).

I'd go to Best Buy to get one cause they have a pretty decent looking one for like $600 right now (on sale from like $950) but also considering my grandpa's condition, I'd rather order one online after Christmas and get it delivered cause it'd be too risky for me to buy one and then get a ride home with it.

Plus if I order one online, I'll have more options than just what's in-stock at my local Best Buy, Target, or (god forbid) Walmart.

The Mighty Mollusk

Scream all you like, 'cause we're all mad here
Citizen
So a couple months ago the maintenance guy at work quit, because he was tired of dealing with half the equipment falling apart and trying to Macguyver it back into working order (a lot of the machines are so old that the correct parts are no longer manufactured, so they have to be custom ordered, which takes forever.....if management can be talked into paying for it), while also having to put in 60+ hour weeks because they wouldn't hire more help. He was professional enough to answer a couple of call backs for emergencies, but he was clearly getting pissed off about it, because the guy hired to replace him is.....let's be nice and call him a slow learner. The last time the old guy came back, he came about a hair's breadth from taking a swing at the new guy and had to be walked back to his truck by the floor supervisor.

Today we had a visit from OSHA with a bunch of "concerns" about several of the issues the old guy left over.

Coincidence?

Caldwin

Woobie Destroyer of Worlds
Citizen
So the lesson here, I take it, is that you should never disgruntle an employee that can wreck your company with a phone call.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Whelp. It's my turn. Laptop got bricked by a Windows update.

Let's see if I can orc science my way out of this once again.

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
If it's the "task bar missing after upgrading to WIndows 11" thing, grab the windows upgrade assistant - Microsoft didn't update their cache servers or something so the default W11 upgrade patch is installing an old broken 21H2 build instead of the 23H2 it should be. Forcing it to 23H2 should fix it I believe.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
It's a budget laptop I got in 2017. It's definitely going to be hugged if they try to upgrade it to Windows 11.

It's unstuck. Something is happening.

Update finally completed, but I have a black screen.

It's done. I have my laptop back.

Oh, they added some bloat to the search box. Thanks. I've always wanted my laptop to be slower.

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
Microsoft explaining how locking out CPUs that are perfectly capable of running Windows 11 but are just incompatible for security reasons (unless you **** around with the BIOS or do some other shit that 99% of people won't bother doing because they don't have the knowledge on how to do it) is totally a good idea and please ignore how Windows 11 only just cracked 26% market share for Windows versions despite being on the market for 2 years now and Windows 10 still has nearly 70% of the Windows market share btw
7ab.gif

For the record, two years after Windows 10's release, it had 36% market share vs Windows 7 having 45%.

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
Nah, Windows releases follow the old "every other one is good" rule that Star Trek films used to until Nemesis(though depending on where GalaxyQuest falls....). Windows 12 will be the next one everyone likes.

Top Bottom