Police behaving badly

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
Shame he can't legally pardon them since it's a state crime, not a national one. It would have to be the Governor of Nebraska doing that.

If I were their lawyers, I'd point out that Roe hadn't been overturned at the point the incident occurred making the law legally unenforceable and was thus technically legal at the time.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Remember John Woods? No? He's some Arkansas state senator who's currently in prison for fraud.

Anyway, one of the FBI agents involved in the case just plead guilty to wiping his hard drive after the court asked to look at it, after the defense found out he hadn't given them some files they were supposed to see.

Agent Robert Cessario acted to alter, destroy and mutilate the computer’s hard drive with the intent to impair its integrity and availability for use in an official proceeding, according to the criminal information filed by prosecutors. That proceeding was the federal prosecution of former state Sen. Jon Woods of Springdale and others associated with Woods.

Cessario wiped the hard drive of a laptop he had used to gather and send electronic files to defense attorneys in several cases. He had the hard drive wiped professionally and then wiped it himself before turning it over to investigators after defense attorneys discovered he had not transferred all the files to them.

[...]

Cessario said during the Woods investigation, he obtained recordings from a cooperating defendant and placed those recordings on his government-issued computer, according to the factual basis for his guilty plea filed with the court.

"Questions arose in the case about when and in what manner I had obtained the recordings," according to Cessario. "Therefore, the court ordered that the computer be forensically examined by the FBI."

Cessario said on Dec. 4, 2017, before taking the computer for the court-ordered forensic examination, he paid a commercial computer business to wipe the hard drive and then wiped it again himself on Dec. 6, 2017.

"I erased the contents of the computer hard drive knowing that the court had ordered that the computer be submitted for a forensic examination. I did so with the intention of making the contents of the computer’s hard drive unavailable for forensic examination," according to the document.

"At the time, I knew the contents of the hard drive were relevant to an official proceeding. I corruptly performed, and had performed, the erasures with the intent to impair the integrity and availability of the computer hard drive and its contents for use in that official proceeding."

The evidence against Woods was solid enough that this didn't end up mattering but damn.

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
"The Metropolitan police is taking a former senior officer to court, claiming her allegations of racism and sexism broke an agreement meant to gag her from speaking out, the Guardian has learned.

The Met says former chief superintendent Parm Sandhu must pay £60,000 plus interest after breaking a confidentiality agreement, also known as a non-disclosure agreement.

The legal action by Britain’s biggest police force led to claims from one former Met chief that it is abusing taxpayers’ money and its power to bury uncomfortable allegations of discrimination. A Met solicitor has revealed the use of gagging or non-disclosure agreements in a sworn statement to the court, seen by the Guardian..."

(Source: - https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...x-officer-parm-sandhu-to-court-black-and-blue )

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
Of course he compared getting fired to getting lynched....

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
I mean... I can clearly see from the thumbnail that he's black. His statement is bullshit, yes, but maybe accusing him of being a literal Klansman is over the line in this case? Don't worry, you'll have plenty more opportunities to whip that one out; I'm sure there'll be another case of officers murdering a black person any day now.

The Mighty Mollusk

Scream all you like, 'cause we're all mad here
Citizen
Lynching is defined as an unlawful murder for an offense with or without a trial. The klan were certainly fond of it, but they didn't invent it.

In this case, I'm just calling him a cop. Race had nothing to do with it.

NovaSaber

Citizen
The police themselves don't seem to have done anything particularly wrong in this case, but since it involves swatting, I think this goes here:

Marjorie Taylor Greene is having her broken clock moment, calling for Kiwi Farms to be taken down.
Only because she was swatted herself, though.

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
Yeah, beau of the fifth did a video on this event, and frankly... the whole thing kinda seems like a setup meant to make people lose respect for trans activists and the movement.

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
"Alabama pastor arrested while watering neighbour's plants
Alabama pastor arrested while watering neighbour's plants.

Footage has emerged of a pastor in the US state of Alabama being wrongfully arrested as he watered his neighbour's flowers.
Michael Jennings was handcuffed during the good deed, despite another neighbour telling police it was all a misunderstanding.
His lawyer says the incident - in May of this year - was a clear case of racial profiling."

(Source: - https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-us-canada-62696077 )

Rhinox

too old for this
Citizen
It says something that the first thing I think of when watching that video is how glad I am he wasn't shot and killed.
He was absolutely in the right. He had no obligation or requirement to give them ID. He gave them his name, showed them where he lived. That they chose to pursue this further when it was clear there was no lawbreaking or suspicious behavior demonstrates just how poorly these officers handled this situation.
You are not required to talk to cops. You're not required to give them ID. But god forbid you challenge a bully's authority.

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
GettyImages-1282593515-800x534.jpg

Cops wanted to keep mass surveillance app secret; privacy advocates refused.
Fog Reveal is "almost invisible" when attempting to search for it online.

Much is known about how the federal government leverages location data by serving warrants to major tech companies like Google or Facebook to investigate crime in America. However, much less is known about how location data influences state and local law enforcement investigations. It turns out that's because many local police agencies intentionally avoid mentioning the under-the-radar tech they use—sometimes without warrants—to monitor private citizens.

(Source: - https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy...illance-app-secret-privacy-advocates-refused/ )

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
3500.jpg

Chris Kaba’s family demands suspension of Met officer involved in shooting
Thousands of protesters march through Whitehall demanding justice as police watchdog launches homicide investigation

The family of Chris Kaba has called for the immediate suspension of the Metropolitan police officer involved in his fatal shooting.

The 24-year-old, who was due to become a father for the first time, was shot dead by a firearms officer in Streatham, south London, on Monday night.

The Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) has since launched a homicide investigation into his death, yet the Met is yet to confirm if any of those involved have been disciplined.

On Saturday, thousands of protesters marched through Whitehall demanding justice for Kaba..."

(Source: - https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...d-suspension-of-officers-involved-in-shooting )

Top Bottom