Ninja Turtles - Cowabunga!

Shadewing

Citizen
That's because he is. Splinter, by FAR, gets the most character development of anyone on the show.

Nope, I think honor of best character goes to the unsung hero of this series: TODD!

----

So having finished the series: The finale kinda wins me over; but still makes me wish the series had been more like this since the beginning. Probably just edges out the 80's series to not be bottom of the list of animated Turtles series, but still vastly prefer the 2000's and 2012 series more. I will admit that, if this series hadn't gotten cancelled, and they managed to keep this energy going into a hypothetical season 3 and beyond; It might have had to potential to rise further. Does at least make me look forward to the movie that's coming out later this year.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
Nope, I think honor of best character goes to the unsung hero of this series: TODD!
Actually, I kinda like Todd a lot. He's got that Ned Flanders thing going on but he has puppies!!! And lemonade.

Rise Donnie is still the best but I'd love it if they got to explore this devious Leo more. Classic strait laced Leo is fine but this almost immoral Leo is horrible buuut effective?

Like, I loved the Sewer Olympics ep for Donnie stepping up and kicking shell even when Leo was cheating (cheating?!?!) but, dang, the ending.
There are teams where the leaders are jerks but still somehow get results? (Like, say, Billy Butcher in the Boys? Maybe Wolverine in some team incarnations? Jeff Winger from Community?). Rise Leo was perhaps gradually learning to be less selfish and use deceit for good?

Shadewing

Citizen
The side characters and villians are sorta where this series shines; Todd, Hypno-Potimus, Meat Sweats, Big Momma, Ghost Bear, Drax's gargoyles (shame they disappeared), Ms Cuddles, Piebald (Another one that its a shame disappeared, especially with the focus on family), also Rise April might actually be my favorite incarnation of her, but I do wish we'd gotten a 'how they met' story with her.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
I"ll say this for Rise: It didn't just lean on nostalgia. The majority of villains, side characters, and plots were wholly original, and mostly memorable. Unfortunately, that might have worked against them, especially waiting so long to get the Shredder in there, but still, this show really tried to be original.

And that finale is AMAZING! I still say, if the show isn't grabbing you, you can still skip ahead to the last 3 half-hour episodes and have a good time. I think this is a solid-enough show with a real banger of a finale. And, yeah, I want to see what they cook up for the movie, too.

Meanwhile, I just read the Odyssey and Origin fan-comics that attempt to wrap up the Mirage universe. Mirage is WEIRD, guys! And, no, I still haven't read through Mirage proper, so I'm doing this out of order but...Mirage really went off the rails at some point, didn't it?

I actually recommend Odyssey if you like Multiversal Turtles Forever-style hijinks in your comic books. It's actually a interesting read, and I think you can follow along if you've seen the 2003 series (and maybe read a few entries on TMNT Entity).

Origin...kind of deals with some odd side space and cosmic stuff that I only partially followed. They mention 3 or 4 Utrom factions...for starters, even though they don't come into play in the story very much. Origin does have a prequel for Odyssey included (and a fight against the Predator...for some reason). If you track down both I'd still say to read Odyssey first.

Last edited:

Shadewing

Citizen
You can only be so original with properties like these. Beware The Batman also went for a similar route of trying to be more original and not rely in the usual Bat villains, and also died a quick death. I think the series might have worked better if the Foot Clan had been introduced earlier, and more fully; rather then just odd Paper Theives with characters completely unknown. I think the "Dark Armor" plot might have helped get interest in the series if it was something introduced near the start rather then about halfway through. Beucase the lore and story really is the strong suit of Rise, but it takes SO long to actually get into it. I feel like anything that gave an idea of the lore would have gotten my attention sooner at least.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
Speaking of the Rise movie

O.M.G. I probably shouldn't have looked at that trailer cuz it gave the plot away. But I'm sooo hyped! But no voice work for Splinter? And where's Foot Recruit?

It's on Netflix? I HOPE they include the S1 and 2 of Rise there too so more people can see the series. (Hey, was Invader Zim eps included when they released the Enter the Florpus? Or Rocko's Modern Life?)

Caldwin

Woobie Destroyer of Worlds
Citizen
I'm still early on in the 2012 series. I haven't seen anything of Rise. So I may not be watching the movie any time soon. How many seasons of Rise are there? I only see one season on Netflix. But then, they only have 1 season on 2012, so that doesn't really mean much.

Shadewing

Citizen
I'm still early on in the 2012 series. I haven't seen anything of Rise. So I may not be watching the movie any time soon. How many seasons of Rise are there? I only see one season on Netflix. But then, they only have 1 season on 2012, so that doesn't really mean much.

Rise is 2 seasons, season 1 is 26 episodes and season 2 is 13. Whole series is on Paramount Plus if you have it.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Yeah, I feel like Nick made a deal with Netflix where the latter gets just one season of these shows so that people can get a taste of them and, if they really want to see the rest, will have to go to Paramount+ for the main course.

Shadewing

Citizen
Though I will warn you; at least on Paramount+, the first season is not in air date order so continuity is all over the place. But Netflix seems to have everything in the correct order.

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
That was before they realized they had a chance to weaponize the internet like they did TV.

Shadewing

Citizen
You can only be so original with properties like these. Beware The Batman also went for a similar route of trying to be more original and not rely in the usual Bat villains, and also died a quick death. I think the series might have worked better if the Foot Clan had been introduced earlier, and more fully; rather then just odd Paper Theives with characters completely unknown. I think the "Dark Armor" plot might have helped get interest in the series if it was something introduced near the start rather then about halfway through. Beucase the lore and story really is the strong suit of Rise, but it takes SO long to actually get into it. I feel like anything that gave an idea of the lore would have gotten my attention sooner at least.

Going back to this, I've decided to rewatch some of the 2012 series; and I think it handles this better overall with balancing new and old and lore hooks. We get the Kraang, a blended take on the Utroms and Krang, while still being completely new. We keep their connection to the origins of the Turtles (which also seems true with Rise, as hinted in the finale), but we also get new mutants characters like Snakeweed, Spiderbites, and Bradford; but also end of the origin episode we get the tease of Shredder and the Foot coming. Its a while before they start doing anything too familiar beyond that.

So yeah, if Rise had been able to give us a glimpse of what's to come in the first few episodes; I feel more people would have given it a chance, also anything more familiar might have also helped since they are deviating so much with the personalities of the turtles and April, while still staying true to their core. It starts off maybe a bit too different. Off the top of my head, I would have done something like remove the paper thieves episode, and have the first episode be the Foot Clan (changing really nothing about them in Rise, other then already having a clan) trying to get a Dark Armor piece, which also somehow is an intro for the April and the Turtles, like she's working one of her many failed jobs where the Foot Clan is attacking. Maybe have Lutentiant and Brute drop a mention at the end about Shredder (probably scrap the Skateboard episode as well and combine elements of it and the Paper Thieves one together) and then have Ep 2 be the normal episode 1. Nothing really changed, just planting some of the seeds a bit earlier while giving a more "familiar" feeling first episode (turtles vs Foot clan).

Top Bottom