Ninja Turtles - Cowabunga!

Caldwin

Woobie Destroyer of Worlds
Citizen
Oh, well, I guess they needed to include a female villain somehow.

I don't remember Cement Man. I only played the SNES version of Turtles in Time.
Cement Man was the boss for Prehistoric Turtlesaurus in the arcade. He was replaced with Slash for the SNES...which I think was a good choice.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Both versions had so many different things going for them, it's a shame there's not a single, definitive version.

Still, getting both in the Cowabunga Collection is almost as good, so I'll take it.

Caldwin

Citizen
274E9AD4-CBB7-47B8-A4F6-A889A2E1B322.jpeg

This came from Ebay today.

81A38E66-1912-4A43-B01A-102AEC42FE44.jpeg

Oh goodie! Fresh turtles for lunch!

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Indeed, the 2013 series might be a bit of a slow boil, but its got really strong characters, stories, and plotting. While yeah, "Ultimate TMNT" works, it feels like its trying to be between 2003 series and the 80's series. Not as dark and serious as the former, but not as campy and lighthearted as the latter. And yeah, easily my second favorite TMNT series as well.
So, not sure how long this will last, but Vudu has the complete 2013 series on sale for $20 https://www.vudu.com/content/movies...ja-Turtles-The-Complete-Series-Bundle-/953502
2012, you mean.

Caldwin

Citizen
Yeah, that's why I went for this one. I saw some vintage ones, some cheaper than this. But it just didn't look posable at all.

Robogeek1973

An oldie but a goodie!
Citizen

From the fine folks bringing us the Samurai Turtles and that Leatherhead I posted about multiple pages back.

Shadewing

Citizen
So finally decided to get around to watching Rise. I'm about half way through the first season. I'm still not sure if I like this series or not. Its got is moments and characters that I like, but its also got stuff that annoys me. Though it very much the modern successor to the 80's cartoon, being more focused on comedy and over the top wacky characters.

Caldwin

Citizen
So I already had the individual issues of Last Ronan on my ComiXology app. But I wanted a physical version and so preordered the hardback collection. It arrives Tuesday.

Nothing like having to watch the money until payday just to see a preorder you forgot about finally hit the bank.

Caldwin

Citizen
No sooner do I say that than I see something new at Target.

68F4148D-32F7-4BEB-9588-574DAF4B9BB3.jpeg

I do have my credit card, but is that really a responsible use of a credit card. I'm going to walk around a bit. I'll let you know what happened when I get home.

Caldwin

Citizen
igQRd0W.jpg

*SIGH*

Was there really any doubt. Yeah, it's not the most responsible thing to do with a credit card, but one thing I've learned about TMNT and Target is that you have to take any chance you get if you want it.

They also have a Napoleon/Attila NECA set, but I only have some passing memories of those guys and can't really tell them apart. They also have a couple "Toxicity Now" Muck Man's, but I have absolutely no memory or nostalgia for him.

These two on the other hand are part of the original Mutanimals. So I do have some memories of these guys.

Caldwin

Citizen
I finally got around to seeing 2012 on Netflix. I'm on episode 14 already. they made Rat King truly horrifying. Leatherhead also looked awesome.

So, tell me again how this was made for kids?

Shadewing

Citizen
Ah yes, Ratchet King; just another example of 2012's character design being pretty far out there, in a good way.

Caldwin

Citizen
Unfortunately, I just found out that there were 5 seasons and Netflix only has the first one. It kinda sucked me into it already in just one night. I'm going to have to figure something out.

Shadewing

Citizen

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
So finally decided to get around to watching Rise. I'm about half way through the first season. I'm still not sure if I like this series or not. Its got is moments and characters that I like, but its also got stuff that annoys me. Though it very much the modern successor to the 80's cartoon, being more focused on comedy and over the top wacky characters.
Please try to give it until the end of the first season. I feel like it develops more as it goes.

Shadewing

Citizen
Please try to give it until the end of the first season. I feel like it develops more as it goes.

Several eps into season 2, and some stuff get better, but it's still not really winning much favor with me. Like, I don't dislike or hate it; but my enjoyment of it is still on the low end of things. More then likely will finish it, but will likely be my least favorite of the animated series. I think my biggest issue overall, is that the turtles seem... semi-competent at best. Much of the first season was them just failing upwards. Almost never winning on their own merits and through sheer dumb luck or pyrrhic victories. That does start to change some as the series goes on, mostly when Splinter finally stops being a lazy asshole and starts taking things seriously himself; but I feel like the 2012 series did the concept better of being inexperienced and improving their skills, while they still seems young and stupid they at least took things more seriously then these four.

And its not like I really got any issue with the revamped personalities, after this many cartoons, comics, and movies; it makes sense to try something that is basically, completely different. The only one that bothered me, was Splinter... until he starts actually being a character in the show and not a gag. Like once he actually becomes part of the story, I actually find I like him a lot, I just we got some of that sooner. I kinda like Smart Jerk Donnie, and Psuedo-Drax Raph. Leo is basically just Ben Schwartz being himself, and does get kinda annoying at times, but if there was more moments like 'Many unhappy returns' where he more or less outmaneuvers Big Momma I think he'd actually be my favorite of the series. Mikey is... interesting being sorta the emotional core of the team, but he feels the most lacking to me, as again we kinda had that with 2012 Mikey, but had the bonus of being something of an idiot savant (for lack of a non-insulting term) where he might not have been the smartest on the team, but had a knack for working on pure instinct. Rise Mikey, just kinda lacks in other departments. he just feels like he's lacking... something even when compared to his others. Maybe just because there's not be many episodes actually about him, it feels like everyone else gets more focus.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
I finally got around to seeing 2012 on Netflix. I'm on episode 14 already. they made Rat King truly horrifying. Leatherhead also looked awesome.

So, tell me again how this was made for kids?
Unfortunately, I just found out that there were 5 seasons and Netflix only has the first one. It kinda sucked me into it already in just one night. I'm going to have to figure something out.
Fair warning, when you do eventually get to the final season (retitled "Tales of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles), DO NOT watch the episodes in their original broadcast order (which is sadly how they are arranged in most places). Nickelodeon aired them drastically out of order from how they were produced (airing two story arcs only on Nicktoons, even, instead of Nick proper), which made for a much more jumbled viewing experience. The original production order flows much better overall, and uses a more appropriate story arc as the series finale, rather than the one that aired last on TV, which didn't feel like a proper ending at all compared to the actual last one produced.

Top Bottom