Mental Health and Suicide

diamondgirl

Citizen
Another tragic cause of suicide, and one that families need to take heed of, is revenge. People feel abandoned, unloved, like their family doesn't care about them anymore, or a family member disappointed them or let them down. I've heard of may cases where they will commit suicide, sometimes in front of the family member(s), who they feel wronged them, just so they will feel bad, guilty, ashamed for the rest of their lives. I think in some cases people kill themselves because their family doesn't listen or hear them, and suicide is a way for them to get their attention or make themselves be heard.

diamondgirl

Citizen
Are antidepressants the miracle drug for depression?

It seems that there are millions of people taking Zoloft.

I think Robin Williams stopped Christoper Reeve from commiting suicide after becoming paralyzed, yet Robin could not stop himself from ultimately ending his life. That does not make sense. It's a head scratcher. Williams had a wife and daughter. Did he not care about them, or how they would feel? Does that make Robin Williams a bad, selfish person?

Caldwin

Woobie Destroyer of Worlds
Citizen
I don't like the term "miracle drug." Like any drugs, antidepressants affect different people different ways. For me, Fluoxetine (generic Prozac) worked great on my depression symptoms. Other people have to try different meds before finding the right one.

As for Robin Williams...having had suicidal thoughts myself at one point, I really can't consider suicidal people "bad" or "good." They're people suffering from a mental illness. They don't always see a way out.

And as far as someone stopping someone else from committing suicide but then doing it themselves, I can't presume to say what went through Robin's mind. But my guess is that he saw more value in other people than he saw in himself.

By its very definition, mental illness doesn't always make sense to those on the outside. They don't know the struggles, the hopelessness, the unending relentlessness of it all.

I'm not defending it. Suicide hurts a lot of people, not just the ones who actually die, but the families and friends. But having gone through it myself, I can hardly label someone going through the same thing as "bad" or "selfish." They're simply struggling with something that's really hard to struggle with.

diamondgirl

Citizen
I don't think suicide is very prevalent in children, if at all.

Perhaps we can learn something from this, from them.

As I'm listening to meditation podcasts I notice that they use alot of positive imagery and visualization that seems nonsensical, yet it appears to be effective for whatever reason.

I've come to the conclusion that superheroes have antidepressant effects in children.

I like to use superhero imagery in my meditations. For example, instead of just take the antidepressant, imagine yourself as Batman pressing a button on your utility belt releasing a couple of Zoloft pills from one of the chambers and popping them into your mouth.

The next time someone bullies you, visualize yourself as Spider-man webbing them up, including their mouth, and hanging them upside down in front of J. Jonah Jameson's office with a note attached to them from your friendly neighborhood Spider-man.

I'm not a mental health professional or psychologist, so if there's anyone out there who is feel free to correct my methodology. I'm just spitballing here based on what I can gather from listening to meditation podcasts.

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
Keep in mind that Robin Williams had JUST been diagnosed with lewy body dementia. He was known for his quick witt and deep cultural intelligence, both of which were slowly being erased by the progression of the disease. He also suffered from chronic depression and addiction issues. The idea of losing himself and becoming a burden to his family simply pushed him over the edge.

diamondgirl

Citizen
Homelessness is clearly a mental health issue with no apparent solution. First we need to get them off meth and these other hard drugs, but I think that's what's keeping them alive. It gives them a reason to live.

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
Homelessness is an entire spectrum of reasons and causes of which mental health is only one facet. You could have a perfectly functioning social system in which absolutely no one needs to be homeless and you will still have homeless people.

Drugs are a part of it, yeah, they aren't the only part. Mental health problems are a part of it, but not the only part. Just setting up something in which the desperation and deprivation are dealt with will get a HUGE chunk of the homeless in any given area: which frees up resources for the more... complicated, problems.

Ungnome

Citizen
Only around 1/3 of homeless people have issues with addiction. Of those the largest addiction isn't meth, but alcohol. It's really not fair to those struggling to act like they are all addicts to hard drugs. It also hurts the prospects of finding good solutions to the issue.

diamondgirl

Citizen
If people want to be homeless, which alot of people do seem to choose that lifestyle, why not let them. If doing drugs and getting high makes them happy, more power to them. Who's to say that the way so-called "normal" people live is right and the way homeless people live is wrong? From their perspective, they don't have to pay rent, or work, or be burdened with responsibilities that society puts on us. They have successfully escaped the rat race.

Caldwin

Woobie Destroyer of Worlds
Citizen
This isn't really the thread to make judgements on people with mental health issues or on homeless people. If you want to discuss that, that's what the P&R section of the boards are for.

This thread is for people who are facing issues in their lives to discuss their issues and basically unload.

diamondgirl

Citizen
Forgive me.

I was using hyperbole to make the point that I think mental illness could be caused by society telling people who are different, who don't fit in, that there's something wrong with them and that they need to change themselves.

Maybe if those people, the outsiders, would believe in themselves it could prevent them from committing suicide.

I'm sorry for going too far. I'll try to do better. Thank You.

diamondgirl

Citizen
Many times people's mental illness is rooted in their fear of death, and the uncertainty around that.

They want there to be something after death, but they're afraid there's not going to be. Or if there is, they're afraid they're going to a bad place and face eternal damnation.

So wouldn't religion need to come in to mental health treatment?

Ungnome

Citizen
As has been said, this sort of discussion should be had in the P&R sections. Only time it really should be discussed in this thread is if there's a specific need to help a specific member.

MEDdMI

Nonstop Baaka
Citizen
Starting to wonder if this poster is an alt for someone who has similar posting habits. Please avoid generic statements that are stirring the pot/aiming for reaction more than actual discussion.

diamondgirl

Citizen
I disappointed my family. I did not live up to their expectations. I'm not what my parents wanted me to be, what they hoped for me to be, what they counted on and planned for me to be, what they need me to be. I let them down. I made them sad. I'm an embarrassment to my family. Is this common, or am I just a failure and a screw-up, a loser and quitter?

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
My dad knew a lot of people. His phone still rings every day. Today someone showed up at my door wanting to know what's going on.

Nevermore

Citizen
Starting to wonder if this poster is an alt for someone who has similar posting habits. Please avoid generic statements that are stirring the pot/aiming for reaction more than actual discussion.
Yeah, this "random stream of consciousness apropos of nothing" sounds awfully familiar.

Top Bottom