Mental Health and Suicide

Noip

I'll think of something later.
Citizen
Deepest sympathies. I went through that in 2019. I'm very sorry you had to go through it now.

Tm_Silverclaw

Citizen
Thanks.. Besides my Aunt and Uncle.. I don't have any family.

And I don't really have any local friends.. so it's hard.

Rhinox

too old for this
Citizen
So I'm at the police academy. Finally made it. A dream realized.
We have to do testing every week. If you get below passing you have to email your chief or sheriff, the head of your department. They're easy tests, multiple choice. You pay attention in class and you have it.

Except some people don't. Some people just don't test well. It happens.
The gentleman I sat next to is 59 years old. Goes to the gym every day, has one of those bodies that looks like a triangle on it's point. Massive chest, no waist, clearly spends a lot of time in the gym. He's a good man, knows what he's doing. But written tests get into his head and he just can't seem to pass. He's failed the past two. I know it's bothered him and I've been offering to help him study. He told me he'd think about it and we went out for a PT stress test. Interval training designed to raise the heartrate. He does well. Hell, better than me.
We all go in for more training. A few minutes pass and he drops to the floor.

He had a heart attack. We heard they had to do an emergency quadruple bypass. He's stable, but you know. It was a heart attack and emergency surgery.

So yeah. Bad day at school.

Get home. I only get to come home on the weekends. This is the week the Missus works and I don't have my kids. Got sat down and was told that her yearly cancer screening test was not clean. We haven't been told exactly what that means. Her doctor's appointment is another 2 weeks away.

Bad day at home.

M. Virion

If Hell is forever, then Heaven must be a lie
Citizen
I'm having a rough one at the moment.

I don't know what to do. I want to be able to work to help our financial worries, but between the fact I can't stand for more than 15 minutes without severe pain, being out of work for five years or so, and credit that is absolutely destroyed no one is going to hire me and I don't even know WHERE or HOW to start looking.

Getting disability approval in my state is abysmally difficult as is (less than 30% approval) and I can't afford to see a doctor since I don't have an income of my own.

I don't know what to do.

MEDdMI

Nonstop Baaka
Citizen
Are there any free clinics nearby for low income households? Working from home is more viable now since the pandemic, that might be an option. I would also recommend a temporary agency. Maybe they can find you a desk job. There's always a chance of getting a permanent position later on.
Try going to an unemployment office, they should have resources to help you find work.

I'm not ashamed to admit that TMM and I went to a food pantry for awhile when we were going through a rough patch. Might help alleviate the food bill a little.

M. Virion

If Hell is forever, then Heaven must be a lie
Citizen
Biggest issue with those suggestions is I don't have a vehicle of my own, and that's a big issue for many temp agencies from my experience and I'm too far away from the city to walk. As for the other suggestions, we're not that badly off. I'm just feeling guilty because I know we have to tighten our belts a small but due to some hour changes at Doc's work, and it hit me really hard earlier.

We'll be alright, I just wish I could do something more to get us from "alright" to good.

I do appreciate the kind words and suggestions though, genuinely. I did pick up some survey taking for pocket money at least which should help me at least have some cash of my own, if only just a little

Nevermore

Citizen
An update on my part:

Feeling much better overall, been back to work for a while now. Also had an MRI of my cervical spine, and it turns out I have a minor spinal disc herniation, which might explain some of my symptoms.

Got a prescription for physical therapy.

MEDdMI

Nonstop Baaka
Citizen
I did pick up some survey taking for pocket money at least which should help me at least have some cash of my own, if only just a little
Yeah, not having a car when public transport is unreliable is tough. I did surveys for a bit, that was handy for some change. I tried being a secret shopper for a bit, but only did it once or twice. They required you to talk to an employee about an issue to see how they handled it. I didn't enjoy faking a problem.

If you like mobile games, there's a few rewards programs that you can earn gift cards for playing. Down side is they encourage to play more games, and of course they have to track you. I'm going to stop using mine (Mistplay) after one more gift card. Only have one game left that's still valid for points, not really worth it anymore.

Caldwin

Woobie Destroyer of Worlds
Citizen
I'm pro-medication if that's what you and your doctor decide you need. I'm on Flouxitine (Prozac) and it's really helped me. Others could take it and it does nothing. Some people are helped with some simple change in living/thinking techniques. There is no one size fits all path to recovery.

I hope you can find some helpful advice though, here, somewhere else...wherever you can find it. Whatever path to recovery you choose, with or without meds, just make sure you're as informed and comfortable with the choice(s) as possible.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Having just had another sleepless night, anyone with a sleep disorder has my sympathies.

I'm not on any medications myself. It's not that I'm solidly against it, but I'd need to understand what I'm taking, so I'd need a doctor willing to stick around and have a real conversation about it.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
My sister has left the state of Florida. We'll probably never meet again, so that's the end of an era. This week was goodbye. Thursday night I couldn't sleep. Friday night I stayed up all night to help her pack and just be with her for the remaining time we had. Saturday I dropped her off at the airport and helped haul her luggage, and there was a lot of luggage because it's a permanent move. And we parked on the wrong side of the airport so I had to drag that stuff a long way in scorching Florida summer heat. Then I went home and slept for 14 hours.

Emotionally I'm feeling fine. Eventually it is going to hit me that I don't have much family left in this state and the few that are left are not in easy driving distance, but I'm not there yet.

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
My dude: she's not dead, she's out living her life and being herself. Sure you'll miss her; but you can call her, face time her, send her a letter or post card, and here's the very important part... she's giving you an excuse for a road trip.

Hell, once she's settled: go visit her. You might like where she ended up so much that you move out there near her.

Edit: or maybe you don't like her; so this is an excuse to find the geographically farthest possible point you can easily move to, and move there, just to spite her.

diamondgirl

Citizen
I think we all as we get older become have thoughts of suicide. There's just less and less to live for.

Families if they stuck together could prevent this, but they're off doing their own thing.

Why is it that when you're young your parents and siblings are willing to help you, but as you get older they want less and less to do with you. They move away and leave you. They stop calling and texting you.

It's no wonder as you get older you see less and less reasons to live because people have abandoned you. Society even helps old people to end their lives.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I think we all as we get older become have thoughts of suicide. There's just less and less to live for.

Families if they stuck together could prevent this, but they're off doing their own thing.

Why is it that when you're young your parents and siblings are willing to help you, but as you get older they want less and less to do with you. They move away and leave you. They stop calling and texting you.

It's no wonder as you get older you see less and less reasons to live because people have abandoned you. Society even helps old people to end their lives.

National Suicide Prevention Hotline
1-800-273-8255

I'm the opposite. I had my suicidal phase early, and I only get more attached to life as I get older. Maybe it's just the sunken cost fallacy but giving up no longer remotely seems like an option. I have to reach a good ending.

diamondgirl

Citizen
I don't think there's any way to prevent Alzheimer's Disease, even really smart people fall victim to it.

I heard many cases where the spouses of Alzheimer's patients end up shooting them in the back of the head saying that it was a mercy killing. They usually go to prison and get leniency for it.

Alzheimer's sounds like a really bad disease.

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
They've got a few meds and treatments that greatly ****** the development of alzheimers, the caveat being that they need to catch it as early as possible for those to be effective.

But yeah, horrible affliction.

Edit: did not know that particular word was in the censor... yeah.

Top Bottom