Mayhem Transformers Discussion: United We Shelfwarm

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Hound is a gem. I find a lot of Diaclone era molds less enjoyable than I expect them to be. So many joints that seem like they should be a simple 90 degree turn are weirdly wiggly and creaky.

Hound is G1 done right. His joints just work.

The Mighty Mollusk

Scream all you like, 'cause we're all mad here
Citizen
My only problem with the G1 reissues is that they feel overpriced. There's no reason for them to cost so much except for nostalgia tax. And at least here, they don't ship in enough numbers (if at all) to hit clearance.

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
I'd say I'm part of the problem for buying them but the only (recent) G1 reissues I've bought are Bumblebee, Swerve, Soundwave, Starscream, and Hound.

Edit: And I say 'recent' but I'm pretty sure the first three were all in like 2018-2019, that was when they did the Vintage G1 line, wasn't it?

(Tbh they also had a reissue Astrotrain at that store and I was sure damn tempted to get that cuz you know how I love trains but I think they wanted $50 for it and like naaaaaaaaaaaaaaah)

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
I don't understand why every Starscream reissue has the comically oversized missiles.

Like yeah 'Well they reenabled the springs in the missile launchers so they have to make the missiles larger for safety reasons' but their reissue of Thrust from 2015 had the original sized missiles and just removed the springs from the missile launcher (or just had them weak like the OG G1 toys, IDK I never got that reissue even though Thrust is my fave seeker for reasons), so why not just use the missiles and launcher mold from that reissue in future reissues of the 1984 seekers?

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
It's especially weird because Hasbro managed to get the fists and Megatron accessory from the old TFC Starscream reissue. It's not like they're stuck with whatever molds they have on hand from the Commemorative days and would have had to use the Thrust mold if they wanted unmodified missiles. They clearly had access to Takara's Starscream mold which has unmodified missiles, and then they added their dumb missiles to it.

They worked harder to get a worse result.

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
I legitimately forgot the Vintage G1 reissue (and the TFTM animation colors reissue I have) came with the TFC Megatron gun accessory lol.

Probably because the stupid friggin painted fists on the TFTM reissue means I just leave that in the box because I basically can't attach the lower part of the gun to the peg on the fist.

Hasbro are idiots.

The Mighty Mollusk

Citizen
All of the guys I'd actually want reissues of are probably lost molds, like the Dinobots. Or characters who weren't in the cartoon, but were important in other media, which inflated their original toy's aftermarket value, like Bludgeon or Thunderwing.

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
If random factories in China can reverse engineer lost G1 molds using G1 toys to produce those KO G1 reissues, why doesn't Hastak do the same?

(I mean 'cost' is probably a big reason why but IDK I mean I'd think a line of 'never been reissued before' reissues would attract more attention than yet another G1 Optimus Prime reissue or something)

The Mighty Mollusk

Citizen
Entirely cost, I suspect. The molds they already have can be used for no real development cost. Otherwise I don't think Hound was ever really that major of a character to be worthwhile (especially in a reissue line labelled as being from the Movie, where Hound is blink-and-you-miss-him cameo). Making other characters like the Dinobots would mean paying out for new molds, and these reissue lines probably don't sell enough to justify it.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Maybe reissue lines would sell well enough if they didn't charge genuinely exorbitant prices. $30 for an Insecticon is pants on head insane.

unluckiness

Now with pinchy claw action!
Citizen
Yeah, G1 toys have their charm but not at damn-near MP prices pound for pound.

Entirely cost, I suspect. The molds they already have can be used for no real development cost. Otherwise I don't think Hound was ever really that major of a character to be worthwhile (especially in a reissue line labelled as being from the Movie, where Hound is blink-and-you-miss-him cameo). Making other characters like the Dinobots would mean paying out for new molds, and these reissue lines probably don't sell enough to justify it.
Encore Devastator was a strange situwtion where they designed entirely new molds to replicate the G1 toy. Guess they (incorrectly?) decided that Devy would sell well enough to justify it.

can we get a picture of the offensive trunk junk... you know for reference

<_<
Rather not risk getting banned over a 3-inch tall robot lady’s butt. It’s defined enough ti have separate cheeks

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
Maybe reissue lines would sell well enough if they didn't charge genuinely exorbitant prices. $30 for an Insecticon is pants on head insane.

$30 for all three Insecticons would be a bit high, but somewhat reasonable. For just one is nuts.

(annoying nerd voice): umm actyually if u adjust for inflation the original MSRP of an insecticon toy in 1985 would be $40 today so hasbro is actually charging u less comparatively 🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓

(there probably are people who genuinely do look at inflation to determine if the price for a reissue 'good' or not lol)

Top Bottom