[IC] Equestrian Radio Show's Adventure Variety Hour: Explorers of STOMP

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Shrugged off by Maple and not feeling at all free to concentrate on the business cards on the table, Amber finds herself staring at the two now silent and now wildly gesticulating ponies with everypony else. She'd been close enough to hear the opening salvos of the discussion, but the pair had become utterly silent. She shot a warning look at Snowy Skies. "Mr. Skies, if this is your doing, I do not think it very constructive." She slid off the bench from Rhapsody's side and stepped in between Rhapsody and Static. She narrowed her eyes at each of them. "Rhapsody, dearest, just what is going on here?", she asked, her tone wavering between conciliatory, genuinely uncertain, and slightly accusatory in equal turns.

Rhapsody looks to Amber and offers a smile. "I am sorry, love. Static and I were having a disagreement over my methods." She says, simplifying it and leaving out most the details, for what is the point of trying to keep it quit if she told everything? "I was trying to not to let it disrupt everypony else's conversations. It seems it still ended up doing such. We were pretty much at the end of it anyway." She says and trots back over to her seat.

Static rolls his eyes. He wanted to say more, but the argument had long since moved away from how Rhapsody was treating Night Cap and had just turned absolutely ugly. It had lost its purpose.

And to be frank, he was beginning to wonder if Rhapsody was worth wasting his breath over.

He spared a glance at Night Cap. He probably still saw Rhapsody as a friend. That was unfortunate. But Static had already warned him and it seemed to have fallen on deaf ears. He wasn't sure there was any more he could do for that situation.

Two faced, cold blooded...pfft! Whatever! He turned his attention back to his notebook.

Snowy looked up from tuning his lyre as Amber questioned him, and immediately recognized the signs of a muted conversation. "How long has this been going on?" He asks, as a general question to the group.

"I don't know Mr. Skies, but I'm tempted to give flying myself home a shot."

"So, a while, then." Snowy nods, and raises his voice so that it carries throughout the ship. "Well I'm not going into a cave with two people who would happily eat each other to survive." His tone turned sharp, and the whole room had an odd sense that the next sentence was spoken as he looked into their eyes with a knife at their throats. "You're both going to explain to me what this entire conversation was about. Top to bottom. Right now. One at a time. Whoever wants to go first can."

Static scowled. It was hardly any of as pays business. But if Night Cap happened to over hear.

We were talking rather loudly. I figured it was self explanatory...it...ory... He glared at Rhapsody. Audiomancer as well than, huh? Pony feathers, you magic users can be too liberal with your powers sometimes."

"I was telling her to lay off of Night Cap. She accused him of being a COIN double agent. Then it devolved from there."

Snowy levels a very sharp gaze at Static. "Top. To. Bottom. Devolved to what?"

"As I told Amber, Static disagrees with my methods. He doesn't like that I've not made instant friends with ponies I barely know. He thinks there is some moral high ground to be had because of it, especially having some wild hair about how it makes a difference on my ability to protect anypony, when I already told him that it doesn't matter if I like a pony or not, that I will still defend them like I would Amber. Most of you weren't with the first expedition. Amber, Night Cap, and Light all know the lengths I will take to keep the team safe. He considers me a 'cold hearted mule' because of it."

"Less ad hominem, more relating detail." Snowy comments. "Static? Comments?"

Static shrugged. "This is redundant. If it weren't for her pulling her magical crap, you'd already know what was said."
"FINE! Relationship issues. She'll protect us because it's her job. Me, I don't see how we can have a team that's worth a damn if we're only here because it's our job."

"I proceeded to tell her I view you all as family and she called me an idiot."

Snowy looks back and forth between them, letting the slightest hint of a perplexed expression cross his face. "So...you were both arguing over the proper motivation to protect people?"

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
"Tell me, Mr Signals. You already commented that you don't like me, that I'm not your 'sister' like you Claim Amber or Anchors to be. So, does that mean with you on your high saddle, that you won't protect me? You just got finished saying you'll protect them because they are family to you, while I've said several times to you that I could out-right hate your guts; but still that wouldn't matter to if I protect you or not. I've seen death, I've had my sister nearly die on an adventure. I don't like the possibility of anyone dying. And you are an idiot for 1. devolving everyone to simple labels and 2. being so far up your flank about who I do or do not like, that you don't actually listen to anything I say expect to find offense with it."

"And to leave Night Cap alone...and her accusations that he's a double agent"

"This was not an invitation to continue lambasting each other, Rhapsody." Snowy really wanted to call them both morons (as this was truly a breathtaking display of bullheaded idiocy), but knew that this wasn't the time. "At this point, I think you two have come up with too many reasons to hate each other. Which is a pity, because you both want the same thing." Letters flowed across the inside of the blimp, quickly spelling out 'I want to protect a mountain of people.' "Here's my proposal: Stop. Stop talking to each other, stop pissing each other off, just let the other pony to protect ponies their way. Don't waste one more breath, one more shred of energy, on this argument. Each of you watch the back of every pony on this blimp, and I'll watch both of yours." Snowy looks both of them in the eye with a focused, steady gaze. The sense of threat is gone now, replaced by a cold sort of affection. In another situation, it might convey the message, 'I love you, but you make it difficult some times.' In his case, perhaps the better message is 'I have faith in both of you. It's the enemy's job to make it waver, so stop doing it for them.' "Sound acceptable?"

Anchors Away sighed, "Fine mess of a leader I make. I didn't know about the...tensions...among the group as I was brought in but I'm here. It sounds like we're in this for the same goals so we gotta work this out. Though I guess this sorta explains the oddities of Brisk Iron's team splits. But...no, it still doesn't. Hmm."

Static sighs. They were both missing the point. "I don't hate Rhapsody. Buck! I don't even know her. And that business proposition is still on the table. I don't even reeeeeally care about her motivations so much. That's just what things devolved into.

"I just want her to cut Night Cap some slack. That's all. Just cut him some slack."

Static then turned to Anchors. "This isn't a judgement on your leadership skills. You were thrown in to a team that already had...issues. Probably why it's better that this happened now while we're still on the road rather than once we arrived on the field."

"This was not an invitation to continue lambasting each other, Rhapsody." Snowy really wanted to call them both morons (as this was truly a breathtaking display of bullheaded idiocy), but knew that this wasn't the time. "At this point, I think you two have come up with too many reasons to hate each other. Which is a pity, because you both want the same thing." Letters flowed across the inside of the blimp, quickly spelling out 'I want to protect a mountain of people.' "Here's my proposal: Stop. Stop talking to each other, stop pissing each other off, just let the other pony to protect ponies their way. Don't waste one more breath, one more shred of energy, on this argument. Each of you watch the back of every pony on this blimp, and I'll watch both of yours." Snowy looks both of them in the eye with a focused, steady gaze. The sense of threat is gone now, replaced by a cold sort of affection. In another situation, it might convey the message, 'I love you, but you make it difficult some times.' In his case, perhaps the better message is 'I have faith in both of you. It's the enemy's job to make it waver, so stop doing it for them.' "Sound acceptable?"

Rhapsody shrugs softly. "It was over before you dredged back up again, Snowy. He has his opinion, I have mine. We neither particularly care for the other's opinion. Doesn't change how I do my job on this team." She states matter-of-factually.

Anchors Away sighed, "Fine mess of a leader I make. I didn't know about the...tensions...among the group as I was brought in but I'm here. It sounds like we're in this for the same goals so we gotta work this out. Though I guess this sorta explains the oddities of Brisk Iron's team splits. But...no, it still doesn't. Hmm."

Rhapsody looks over to Anchors. "I have to wonder if you have any musical skill. Snowy and I are both Audiomancers, he has a focus on instruments and I focus on vocals. Putting us both on the same team? Either you have some kind of music based talent, or Brisk is really hoping for an impromptu musical number." She says with a slight giggle.

Static sighs. They were both missing the point. "I don't hate Rhapsody. Buck! I don't even know her. And that business proposition is still on the table. I don't even reeeeeally care about her motivations so much. That's just what things devolved into.

"I just want her to cut Night Cap some slack. That's all. Just cut him some slack."

Night Cap takes a few steps backwards. He's gone beet red under his fur. He had to know this accusation was coming, but still wasn't quite ready for it.

"Is this about the heist? I've already explained my presence there. It was the short version I'm afraid, but should have been sufficient. Does nopony read my reports?"

He suddenly recalls something.

"Rhapsody! You mentioned hearing that the brother was cooperative with the police. Did you hear of him saying something about me, and that's what this is about? Whatever he said, he's making it up."

"I have had my doubts on your sincerity since the first expedition. What I learned during the heist didn't help matters either. Having some kind of connection with two of the robbers, when you were already rather friendly with the COIN agents previously? Running from the cops and local hero? That isn't a sign of innocence. Then the whole fact you were 'surprisingly' absent from the whole heist till the end, just like you never once purposefully attacked any COIN agents on the mountain, when you weren't running for your life? There is a whole lot of circumstantial evidence to makes you an unknown variable to this team, but no actual proof which is why I've never brought it up officially." Rhapsody says, laying it all on the table, this is her version of cutting the brown earth pony some slack.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
"Maybe I'll just try walking home." Maple said as she tucked herself into a corner and faced away from all the angry.

Anchors Away sat and thought for a moment, "I'm not really a musician. I think one thing that stood out to me in the first briefing is that Night Cap himself didn't know why he's on the team. There's a rather specific and confidential reason but I think it may be backfiring if he doesn't know it. Or perhaps he's just out of his element."

Misty came over to where Maplejack was huddled. "Don't worry, everypony will feel better after they've let off some steam," she optimistically reassured the smaller mare.

Maple hugged Misty with her wings, but stayed in the corner.

Misty patted Maple lightly on the head with a wing and continued smiling pleasantly while watching the others sort things out.

"Thank you."

He's not stunned by the accusations. He's not angry. He's just sad.

"Since the first expedition? But things went so well. We got the wand. We beat them all. I thought... And the performance? And the training? You said..."

He turns his gaze to the floor and sits.

"It seems I've made a huge mistake. As did the Chief Director."

I did not have enough paper to write those reports.

Rhapsody huffs softly and walks over to Night Cap, her expression stern. "Yes, we won. We got the wand. While you ran or played in the snow. While you showed more concern for the enemies then your teammates. Then the performance, in that ridiculous get up." She states and shakes her head, "And the training..." She says, and just when it seems like she's gonna add more negativity... "Is the first time I felt you being sincere about something." Well... after the talk with Sky Lynx, the old griff was a good judge of character and always put stock in his opinions. "Sky Lynx told me about how you tried even with how badly hurt you were. IF nothing else... I respect that." She states, probably the closest thing to something nice she can say to him.

Snowy had a myriad collection of sharp comments to make (they had probably been multiplying in his head for some time; when had he started being so polite?), but he ignores them all, simply content to understand the situation (and to find that many ponies actually agreed with his suggestion; he should come to arguments late more often). Instead, he left the discussion of Night Cap's position to those uncertain of the outcome (the truth always came out, in the end), and moved towards where Maple and Misty sat. "I don't suppose there's much for me to offer here, but how about a song to pass the time?" He asks, settling down beside them and drawing his lyre close.

"Oh, yes, that would be great!" Misty replies.

Snowy brings his hooves to the lyre and hesitates. "My collection of lyre songs is...curiously limited." He lies. His real problem was that most lyre songs were elegiac tunes honoring the dead. Most civilizations that made use of lyres didn't bring it to battle, which was were most rousing songs were conducted. There were songs that were technically of merriment, but he'd never liked those. He suspected you had to be drunk to play some of the chords correctly. "Ah, but there's always something." He says with a smile, remembering an eclectic tune. He carefully removes the clamp from the harp and begins to play.

Spoiler

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
This lyre is the bane of my existence. I wanna put the Cloud Atlas Sextet right here, but nooo, I have the one stringed instrument you couldn't conceivably play that on. I guess I can save it for a more suitably dramatic moment. Here's what he's playing instead:

And this is probably why we've yet to see Lyra actually play the lyre in the show :p

*Maple's tiny hooves start tapping... and are no where close to following the beat of the song*

Static looked between Raphsody and Night Cap as the went back and forth. He was truly shocked when Rhapsody ended with something nice to say.

"Well...good. Looks like maybe we understand each other better?" Static turns his attention to Night Cap. "I understand that may have been a bit hurtful for you. But if I understood that last bit, I think there's still hope of you two having a better relationship."

"That said...our documentary is still your project too. I'll leave it up to you. Do you still want to bring her into it?

"It's not my project. It's our project. But I guess it's a bit raw right now. I'll ask again later."

Static shifts his attention to Rhapsody. "Thanks. It was harsh, but you were honest."

Maple's wings started buzzing and off she slid across the floor, stopping next to Mr. Night Cap... She gave the sad Stallion a big hug.

"I'm sorry Mr. Night Cap."

Snowy is torn. He wants to support Night Cap, but doesn't really have the slightest idea how. He knows how to defend Night Cap, but not how to respond to moping. He has a feeling Night Cap won't hold inaction against him, so he simply keeps playing.

Rhapsody takes a deep breather but still narrows her eyes. "That battle? Superior numbers? No. There were two, against three. Superior equipment? Yes they had ranged weapons and we didn't. I gave you specific orders, you disobeyed. You RAN when you should have been there. That left just Light and Myself to deal with them. You didn't say you were going, just one moment you were there and the next you weren't. If Light and I had lost, because you weren't there IT WOULD HAVE BEEN YOUR FAULT!" She had gone over this before with the whole team during the wand fiasco.

"As for 'first time in the snow'? I very much doubt ANY of the six of us had experience in winter combat, and YOU were the only that never bothered to land a hit. You're supposed to be some kind of explorer or something, you apparently have artifacts and some kind of dig experience, and Amber was more useful." She says and looks over to the beige unicorn in a bit of apology. "She's a desk mare, never seen any thing close to field work, and still was able to take down more enemies then you." She huffs again, and at this point she is pacing and barely able to not be continuously yelling. "You can explain all you want, but actions speak louder then words. And as I said, it was the training last night that finally made me think I might be wrong about you."

She huffs and looks to Static. "THIS is exactly why I DIDN'T want to bring it up. I told you, it was all circumstantial. There was NO POINT in bringing it up til there was actual proof, especially RIGHT. BEFORE. A. MISSION. Now, this is going to be on his mind throughout the whole expedition, which could lead to somepony doing something stupid and endangering themselves or others, because they suddenly believe they've got to prove themselves to me." She huffs again and stamps her foot, causing the whole air carriage to rock. "Its that exact kind of thinking that nearly got my sister killed. Harmony thought she had something to prove, because she's an earth pony in a family of pegasus and unicorns. If it wasn't for Symphony, she would have died doing that. THAT is why I do my job, and THAT is why I don't tell everyone every little issue I have with them." Rhapsody was fuming now, visibly shaking with her anger. There was a VERY good reason she kept the conversation private, and now it's all come out in the wash and could end up jeopardizing the whole expedition as a result.

"Now, if everyone is done here, I am going to see if I can exit this and go for a flight to clear my head." She says with an angry huff and heads toward the exit.

Static watches Rhapsody leave. "And I guess the moment of understanding and healing is gone," he said with a sigh. He turned his attention to Night Cap. "It wasn't my intention to have all that come out now. All I was trying to do was to get her to lay off. It...it just got out of hoof. You going to be okay?"

Anchors Away sat calmly looked at Rhapsody, "It's slightly pressurized so you can't really open it mid flight except for emergencies. And honestly? It doesn't sound like you said anything before. I get your reasons why but we might have been in a better position if this got cleared up sooner. I just don't know what to do from here. I wish I had some sort of rousing speech but I don't. I will say that this is a team and no one pony can take on everything at once. That causes problems."

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Rhapsody huffs at Anchors. "Fine. Plan B." She says, and looks over to Snowy. "Lets go with your idea. If i can't lose myself in flight, I'll lose myself in song. I got one in mind, something sorta fitting to the current mood, a bit somber, but tinged with a bit of hope and joy. Its a sea shanty, so hopefully you should be able to play on that Lyre, though your violin would have been better." She says and shakes her head and looks around to the others. "Since Calbustion is a port town, maybe some of the rest of you know the song as well. Feel free to join in if you do." She glances over to Misty at least who she's seen around the port.

Rhapsody takes a deep breath, and then another, as she clears her mind and focuses on the music in her head. Its a slower song, and maybe not the most fitting, but for some reason it kinda felt right to her, thought she decides to skip the first 'verse'.

Gather up all of the crew, it’'s time to ship out Binks’' brew.
Sea wind blows, to where, who knows? The waves will be our guide.
O’'er across the ocean’'s tide. Rays of sunshine far and wide.
Birds they sing, of cheerful things, in circles passing by.
Bid farewell to weaver's town, say so long to port renowned.
Sing a song, it won't be long, before we're casting off.
Cross the gold and silver seas, a salty spray puts us at ease,
Day and night, to our delight, the voyage never ends.

Spoiler

Snowy finally hadn't stopped playing through the recent exchange, but does when he's called upon. He doesn't normally get requests. He certainly knows the song, but he's never played it on the lyre. Just take the piano version, scrub out all the complex chords...this was workable. As best he can, he starts playing along.

"Gather up all of the crew, it's time to ship out Binks' brew.
Pirates, we eternally are challenging the sea.
With the waves to rest our heads, ship beneath us as our beds,
hoisted high upon the mast, our jolly roger flies.
Somewhere in the endless sky, stormy winds are blowing by,
waves are dancing, evening comes, it's time to sound the drums.
But steady men, and never fear, tomorrow's skies are always clear.
So pound your feet and clap your hands 'til sunny days return."

Amber looked over each of her shoulders, craning her neck and looking very slightly disoriented, uncertain how to respond as the two began to perform. But she did recognize the song, from a radio program about a foal run off to be a pirate she'd begrudgingly indulged in listening to on occasion.

As Static joined, she hesitantly began to mouth the words, then sing along, her slightly nasal voice surprisingly, at least, mostly on key.

"...Pirates we eternally are challenging the sea
With the waves to mumble 'ed
Ship beneath the mumble ahead...."

She began very quietly, but quickly lost herself in the chorus, feeling some deep form of conviction as she reached "Our Jolly Roger Flies!"

She wasn't quite certain what all of this had to do with Mr. Cap's loyalties, but it certainly was good to give everypony a chance to share something like ... whatever this was.

Maple joins in on the singing but puts a little Pegasus magic into it

Spoiler
all

The singing had already been a much needed breather. But as Maple joined in, Static felt even more invigorated.

He hadn't had any intention of dancing. He had four left hooves and he sure didn't want to put the structural integrity of the flight cabin to the test...especially while they were so far up in the air. But the sensation of the good vibes just flowing through him left no choice.

He got up, walked over to Anchors, bowed like the gentlecolt everypony knew he wasn't, and offered his hoof out for a dance.

Anchors Away hung her head, "I can't dance. Surprised I can walk some days."

"I can't dance either," Static said with a wide, toothy grin. "I fully expect embarrassment the likes of which even Ms. Iron hasn't seen me endure before."

"Ain't gonna stop me!"

She wasn't quite certain what all of this had to do with Mr. Cap's loyalties, but it certainly was good to give everypony a chance to share something like ... whatever this was.

Rhapsody smiles some as others start to join in, even at how badly Amber is at keeping up with the words, but she's got a good voice and is able to carry the tune regardless. This had nothing to do with Night Cap, this was a way to relieve tension, to just have fun. She picked a song that was somewhat somber because of the mood in the cabin, but its not really a sad song, more a song about perseverance and the belief tomorrow will be better; it was the idealism that made the song popular and able to be sung for just about any occasion on a ship. She mostly ignored... whatever it was Night Cap was doing...

"Stop worrying about how you'll look, and just enjoy yourself." She says, partly to Anchors but mostly to everyone, between verses.

Gather up all of the crew, it'’s time to ship out Binks'’ brew.
Pirates, we eternally are challenging the sea.
With the waves to rest our heads, ship beneath us as our beds,
hoisted high upon the mast, our jolly roger flies.
Somewhere in the endless sky, stormy winds are blowing by,
waves are dancing, evening comes, it's time to sound the drums.
But steady men, and never fear, tomorrow's skies are always clear.
So pound your feet and clap your hands 'til sunny days return.

Spoiler

Spoiler

"It's not embarrassment, just coordination."Despite initial refusal, Anchors Away stood up and joined the group. In her attempt to dance, she bumped into the benches several times but didn't seem that embarrassed.

Meanwhile, the fog began to thin and the STOMP team could see they were roughly a mile from Nightmare Heights. Over in the deluxe cabin, the flight attendant announced to Light Fantastic,
"It is rumored that Nightmare Heights got it's name from the difficult perils involved in climbing the cliff. However, our service means your arrival will be like a dream."

Misty, oddly enough, had not heard this song before. But that didn't stop her from dancing (badly) along to the music.

Static smiled as Anchors made the attempt. He danced with the others...badly. He was heartened that there were others who also couldn't dance. If you were going to make an absolute fool of yourself, best to be part of a group. Not that it would've stopped him anyway, but it was a relief.

Light Fantastic gave a pleased sigh and smiled at the attendant.

"You have no idea how happy that makes me feel," she said, "I could use a bit of relaxation after the past couple of days."

Static doesn't have clue one what the heck Night Cap's singing. But heck with it! If he's feeling better enough to be dancing, that's good enough for him. He goes over and ruffles his hair like a bratty brother.

Maple stopped singing ... the happy was in the others now, so she moved back to her window, it looked like they were getting close now. this would likely be her only chance to see the place from the air, until they left... and even though she'd likely not need to know what the town looked like from the sky - a new perspective could be fun.

Rhapsody narrows her eyes some at what sounds like a demonic chant from Night Cap, but otherwise continues to just try and ignore him. As they are nearing their destination, she wraps up the song.

Gather up all of the crew, it's time to ship out Binks' brew.
Wave goodbye, but don't you cry, our memories remain.
Our days are but a passing dream, everlasting though they seem.
Beneath the moon we'll meet again, the wind's our lullaby.
Gather up all of the crew, it’s time to ship out Binks’ brew.
Sing a song, and play along for all the oceans wide.
After all is said and done, you'll end up a skeleton,
so spread your tale from dawn 'til dusk upon these foamy seas.

As the song ended, Static smiled at Anchors. "Now tell me that wasn't fun!"

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Night Cap lets out a deep sigh. It would have been fun to join in the pirate song. But it would have been wrong. He can't just drop it and say there are no hard feelings. Not over a song. Who does that?

Anchors Away gave a halfhearted nod, then sat where she was. She smiled though she was breathing heavily.

The two air ferries landed, unloading the gear and allowing the STOMP team to exit. As the air ferries left, a curious crowd walked up. Suddenly, Night Cap found himself surrounded by foals.
"Did the Fire Lady come with you?" The adults were a fair bit less enthusiastic to see him again.

Misty was impressed. "Wow, Night Cap is like a celebrity here!"

"Oh HELLO EVERYPONY!" Maple said to the other little ponies. "Mr. Night Cap works with me in Cobbleston now... so make sure you tell your teachers you need to move the school trip next year." Maple smiled, remembering some of the faces from earlier in the year when they came to Manehatten.

"Aww...I wanted to see the Fire Lady." All of the foals walked off. All except one. She smiled and fluttered her wings happily. "Hi Mr Night Cap!"

Spoiler

Amber shrunk slightly from the unpredictable-looking pack of foals, and was relieved as they seemed to disperse. She stepped up to Rhapsody's side, slightly worried and wishing she could ask Rhapsody about the exchange over Night Cap, but quickly turned her attention to the crowd of adults, glancing between them and Anchors, waiting for somepony to step forward and make introductions.

Static gives a great sigh of relief as his hooves touch the ground. "Oh thank Luna! It's so good to be back on land." He feels like bowing down and kissing the dirt, promising never to leave it again, but restrains himself.

Static gives Night Cap an odd look as the foals surround him. After all but the one leave, he comes over to him. "Fire Lady?"

Maple sat down and and started sorting out her pack, dividing her candies into individual little bags for each of the team members

Misty watched the foals turn and walk away. "Fame is so short-lived..."

"Foals today are so easily ...ooh look at that!" Maple's eye's drifted over the area. moving from one building to another, noting interesting things.

Rhapsody exited and joined the others, though she remained quite. She had felt somewhat better, but still she pretty much wanted this over with as soon as possible. She lets out an annoyed huff at the adults that seemed less then pleased with Night Cap, seems he bucked up something here as well.

The filly continued, "While I was dreaming I was flying around whoosh and I bumped into Stripes Lady. She wasn't mad that I crashed into her and she said you and some friends helped her break free. Glad to know she's okay. Oh, and her stripes are really pretty." A bright yellow pegasus with an even brighter green mane flew over and greeted the STOMP team. "Velcome to Nightmare Heights. You are the ponies! from the Equestrian Expedition Keep, correct?" Anchors Away nodded. "Vonderful! Vhile ve don't have any sort of inn or hotel, ve have made a space for you in the town hall and ve are currently cooking a community stew that vill be done shortly."

Static looked around at the town. It seemed to him like most of these ponies were more down on their luck than even he used to be. It took him a moment to get rid of the lump in his throat. It seemed absurd that they should be making food for them.

He tried to take in as much of the town as he could, but remained silent.

"Community stew! That sounds very ... ah, rustic!," Amber said, her enthusiasm almost betraying a note of sincerity.

"What does 'rustic' mean?" Misty asked innocently. "I hope it means delicious!"

"Hmm, yes, I think that might have been the word I was searching for, Ms. Monsoon. Thank you."

"You're welcome!"

Rhapsody shakes her head at the mention of community stew. "Well... gotta be better then Static's offering..." She mumbles to herself, not sounding particularly thrilled.

Static flashes Rhapsody a dirty look. Sure he couldn't argue against the fact that the quiche wasn't all that great. But Rhapsody didn't even try it. Besides just an idle cheap shot, what business did she have saying anything? Not like she made anything for the others.

And as a whole, the others seemed to be a little bit rude. These people seemed so down on their luck, it seemed like a bit of super generosity that they were able to make anything for them at all!

"I'm sure it'll be fantastic," he says with a warm smile. "Thank you."

Maple's ears perked up at the mention of community stew... "Will everypony be there?"

Snowy, now shouldering his lyre case, looked around town and idly wondered if they would see any yaks. Community stew would either be horrific or delicious. One way to find out. "Stew sounds delicious right now." He says, speeding up so that he could stay between Rhapsody and Static. He had never really been the sort of pony to let others carry out his plans, anyways. If they were going to jab at each other, he would mediate. In the meantime, he needed to talk to Maple. But rather than call her over, there was a fun experiment to be had. He began shooting subtle glances over at the (momentarily) black pegasus, starting with eying her out of the corner of his eye! , and moving up the scale to obvious looks, nearly staring at her. He wanted to see how much he had to do before she would react.

Spoiler
Sunbeam

The filly waved, "Hello friends and new friends." "As far as everypony being there, the pot for the stew is in one location vhile ponies commune across town. Oh, forgive me, my name is Veldfire Green and I'm head of the parks and recreation. And...huh. Aren't you some sort of singer or something?" Veldfire Green tilted her head as she looked at Light Fantastic.

"oh" Maple mumbled, hoping it meant she'd have a chance to see everypony at once... oh course it wouldn't be that easy. Maple let her hoof drop from her locket and scritched her ear instead while she waited for Miss Fantastic to answer Miss Green.

"Dancer, to be exact," replied Light Fantastic.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Static had a perplexed looked as Snowy went through his range of looks. He made as if he was about to say something to him but decided against it.

He wasn't really sure if he was angry at Snowy or not. On the one hoof, the argument with Rhapsody had settled down by the time he decided to intervene and got things riled up again.

But on the other hoof, it was because of Snowy that Night Cap now knew what Rhapsody thought of him. No longer could she smile at him to his face while at the same time plotting to throw him under the bus.

So maybe he should be downright grateful to Snowy. Either way, it was probably best to leave him to his games.

Rhapsody was still upset at both of them, for as far as she was concerned if Night Cap now did anything stupid and got himself or others hurt, it would be on their heads for forcing such a confrontation right before an expedition, because now he was likely gonna try and prove himself which rarely ends well. She generally tried to keep her distance from the both of them.

Maple swatted at her ears thinking there might be bugs in the air.

Veldfire Green waved for the STOMP team to follow her to a one story building. It was larger than the homes of the town but not particularly large itself. Inside were several neatly arranged sleeping bags while there were charts and documents pinned on all of the walls. "I hoped ten sleeping bags vere enough. I'll leave you to get settled from your trip vhile I check with the mayor to see if the stew is ready. Sun is setting soon and ve wouldn't vant you to go to sleep hungry." After Veldfire Green exited, Anchors Away asked, "Could somepony please bring me my saddlebag? Feeling a little wobbly."

Static snapped to it, bringing her the saddlebags. He wanted to say something, anything. It seemed like they finally had the time to talk again.

But he was sick of talking at this point. He no longer had the energy for it. He sat her saddlebags down quietly then walked over to take a look at some of the charts and documents pinned on the walls.

Pulling a canteen out of one of the bags, Anchors Away splashed some water in her face, took a deep gasping breath, and absorbed the water.

"You alright there, Anchors?" Misty asked.

Static raised an eyebrow, turning back from the wall and walking back over to Anchors. "You okay?"

"Was suffocating a little since I hadn't planned to dance on the flight over but I'm fine now. Speaking of...how'd your flight go Light?"

"It went well," replied Light Fantastic, "Hit a bit of turbulence, but it was pretty good for the most part. How was yours?"

Static winced. He was sorry now he pushed her into dancing. He didn't know it would affect her like that. He opened his mouth to apologize, but Anchors had already turned her attention to Light.

Anchors Away put her canteen as she replied to Light Fantastic, "Ah, you felt the turbulence too. We also hit a little emotional turbulence and some stuff came out. Hope things are a little better now but another conversation will probably be needed in the future to see if things have improved over time. Then we ended off with some singing and dancing. Shame you missed it. Oh! Static, did you have any of your kelp quiche left?"

"A little bit," Static said, getting it out again. "I wanted to make sure I held back enough for Ms. Fantastic." He held some out to her. "Though, I'm afraid it hasn't gotten very many rave reviews."

"I...did have something to ask of you, Ms. Fantastic...though I'm not sure if now's the time?"

Maple had flopped her belongings down next to one of the sleeping bags. they could fit 2... maybe 3 of her into one of these. This was a very nice town. With that situated, she opened one of her bags and started collecting the individual sacks of sweets to ration out. Quick work quickly done, and she found herself in front of the town map.

"Oh how wonderful." Maple looked at the map for a few moments, adding details and extending streets in her head, beyond the picture she'd created before landing.;

Rhapsody quietly set her bag down to one of the unclaimed sleeping bags, but didn't stick around, turning around and exiting the building for the time being; she just really didn't feel like being around the group much at the moment.

"Aw, I missed dancing?" pouted Light Fantastic, "I'm glad, though, that I missed the drama."

She then perked up at the mention of food.

"Quiche?" she said, "You got my interest."

She gave Static a smile.

"Whenever you're ready."

Snowy was frustrated. How did a pony like Maple see so much, but realize so little? Anyone would've noticed him by the end of that. It was probably his lot for trying to experiment with his compatriots.

Utilizing his much more direct methods, his voice sounded in Maple's ear. "Some advice. You seem to have a habit of curling up in the corner when things go wrong. In the caves...don't. If you feel like doing that, run away instead. Try not to get lost, but don't just lie there."

Snowy was frustrated. How could a pony see so much, but realize so little? Anyone would have noticed him by now. It was probably just his lot for trying to experiment with his compatriots.

Utilizing his much more direct method, his voice sounded in Maple's ear. "Some advice: you seem to have a tendency to curl up in the corner when things go wrong. When we're in the caves...don't. If you ever want to do that, run instead. Getting lost is bad, but just lying there is worse."

Having thrown his two cents to the opposite end of his spectrum of allies, he trots over to Amber, hoping to flag her down before she decides to follow Rhapsody. "What do you know about the magical conductivity of crystals?" He asks quietly.

Static hands over the quiche to Light Fantastic. "Well, uh, here's the thing. In my anger management last night...well...it was suggested that I should find things outside of work, things that I can focus on or focus through when things are...crappy." Sure could've used that an hour ago, he thinks to himself. "And one of the things that was rather...heavily...suggested was...well...dancing."

"Of course, I have...like...four left hooves. So...I don't know if maybe you could...teach me?"

[Please don't bring out a tutu. Please don't bring out a tutu. Please don't bring out a tutu.]

Maple's eyes shot open as Snowy's voice spoke to her like he was right next to her.... but he wasn't. The words got kinda jumbled because it took her a while to realize what was happening ... unicorns...

she thought she caught the gist of it.... "When we're in the caves, don't run -getting lost is bad. Just lay there."

<_< Maple liked Snowy but his advice was silly, good thing Miss Monsoon would be team leader if they had to split up.

Light Fantastic grinned.

"I'd be delighted!" she said, "Once we get through with this, feel free to drop in, and we'll see what we can do."

Misty didn't bother unpacking anything. All she had was her saddlebags, and they were packed very lightly. She usually didn't bring much along on trips; extra weight made it harder to fly. Besides, she loved taking a chance with the local cuisine. She couldn't wait to try the stew!

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Spoiler

"Hmm - obviously, magical properties can certainly alter the optical properties of crystals, as we've seen recently in the false Sword of Shining Dark and even Mr. Signal's equipment, and magically manipulated crystals can be very versatile instruments for manipulating the conduction of other forms of energy. But as for the conduction of magical energy itself...." Amber paused to think and drew out her notebook and quill.

Spoiler

Rhapsody takes to the skies and idly flies around town, mostly spending time thinking, though she huffs lightly as no one seems to realize she left, not even Amber. 'Oh well' she thinks as she continues flying to no where in particular.

Static nods gratefully. Thank you. I'll definitely look you up when we get back.

He walks over to whatever sleeping bag is still available and sets his saddle bags down. He takes out his camera and starts taking snapshots of the map and documents on the wall. He isn't sure what, if any of it would be useful for his documentary, but better to have too much information than too little.

From her studies, Amber Spark remembered that the conduction and manipulation of magic through crystals fluctuated greatly with the type of crystal used.

"rumps!" Maple had passed out the toffees and committed the map to memory... and other than waiting there really wasn't much else to do. And that just wasn't in the cards.

A quick look around the room and we were down a Pegasus. Maple was happy to have something to do, not wanting to bother anyone she also slipped out quietly.
Once outside Maple looked up into the air... Miss Rhapsody was a good Pegasus so she'd likely be flying...

"double rumps!" Maple's wings started buzzing and she slowly took off... leaving the ground and covering her eyes with her hoofs after getting only a few meters off the earth.

Maple used the map she'd made in her head to blindly fly in the direction of a building that was taller than most where she might get a good solid place to land and maybe see Miss Rhapsody.

Spoiler
Zam

Not long after Maplejack left town hall, Veldfire Green returned. "The community stew is ready. It's mostly carrots, parsnips, and beets. Ve're unfortunately running low on swamp pepper so it's not seasoned as strongly as ve'd like but hopefully it's adequate. Please follow me." Veldfire Green motioned for the STOMP team to follow to an open square with two large cauldrons. There was a line leading to it as the mayor was using a ladle to dole out servings to everypony's bowl. The savory scent succulently surrounded the STOMP! team as they stood in line.

"Hmm. Of course the thaumatic properties of crystals are as varied as their acoustic and optical properties. Without knowing the precise composition of these crystals, I don't suppose I can really determine anything more."

Amber looked around at the group as Ms. Green returned and began to worry as she realized that Rhapsody was absent. She nodded at Ms. Green's description of the stew and began to wish she'd brought an oat muffin or two, but her attention was elsewhere, trying to catch sight of Rhapsody.

Perhaps she had gone for a short flight? With the stew now eminent and all of the smiling and complimenting to do, Amber rather wished Rhapsody had taken her along.

As the scents wafted through Statics nostrils, he inhaled deeply, letting the stew be forever tied to his memories of this place. "This" he sighed dreamily. "I must learn and perfect this!

He took out his notepad:
Carrots
Parsnips
Beets
Swamp pepper?

Find out what swamp peppers are.

"Oh hey! There's the mayor." Static leans over to Night Cap. "Did you happen to meet her your last time here? Maybe you could introduce us?"

"So, Night Cap, you seem to be well known here. How's it feel to be back?"

Maple landed safely on the roof of the town hall... she hadn't gone as far as she thought, she'd have to go back and check the map again... maybe it had a notation about scale. .. >_>

Maple looked around for any sign of Miss Rhapsody...

Spoiler
Zam/Shadewing

Static looked around. The entire town looked destitute. How could it be any better? That seemed...self-explanitory.

Still, nopony seemed to go hungry. Everypony seemed to have a roof over their heads.

"We should retire here." He winced as he said it, remembering how literal Night Cap could be. 'Just kidding' often went right over his head.

"Hmm. Of course the thaumatic properties of crystals are as varied as their acoustic and optical properties. Without knowing the precise composition of these crystals, I don't suppose I can really determine anything more."

"Well the caves beneath Canterlot are primarily crystal. So if these caves are similarly built, be careful aiming what you cast." Snowy says, following Amber out to the stew pot. He was pleased to see that judging by the scent, the soup was delectable. He slipped into line next to Light Fantastic and, after a split-second's hesitation, gave her a short nuzzle. "Your perfume smells nice."

Light Fantastic gave Snowy a puzzled look.

"But... I'm not wearing any perfume," she said, "You're the second pony who's mentioned that."

A thought occurred to her.

"By the way, has anypony heard of Dazzling Midnight?"

Static claps Night Cap on the shoulder. "At least you have a goal in mind. Me, I figure as long as I can keep my hooves solidly on the ground, I can be happy wherever."

Static nearly drops his bowl at Light Fantastic's mention of Dazzling Midnight. "Heard of her? I met her twice. She tried to..." Static looks around and lowers his voice so that only Light Fantastic can hear. "She tried to recruit me into COIN. If not for a few ill-spoken words on her part, I might have accepted in my ignorance."

"There is something not right with her. Her magic isn't like the magic I've seen from other unicorns. There's something...she's not natural. If you've had a run in with her, do yourself a favor and make sure you never have another."

"She's the reason I had to relocate."

Anchors Away perked up. "Oh yeah, Static mentioned her in the meeting before the break in. Did you have a run in with her?"

Maple landed safely on the roof of the town hall... she hadn't gone as far as she thought, she'd have to go back and check the map again... maybe it had a notation about scale. .. >_>

Maple looked around for any sign of Miss Rhapsody...

Spoiler
Zam/Shadewing

Every now and then a dark spot could be seen crossing the skies, as Maple focused, she would realize the that dark spot is the team's black pegaus that had gone MIA. There didn't seem to be much thought to where she was going, no destination in mind. She was just flying above the town, having gotten away from everyone at the moment.

"Well, I didn't actually meet her," said Light Fantastic. "Silky, one of the other dancers in my company, and I noticed her carriage in town. We then caught a glimpse of her in a shop."

Static shuddered. "Were you following her or was she following you? Either way, be extremely careful. I know you can take care of yourself. I've seen it. But that unicorn...she's just not right. Just be really careful around her."

Maple spotted Miss Rhapsody...

teehee 'spotted'...Maple laughed at her own little joke, more out of nerves then actual comedy.

A small spot of black moving here and there around the sky... Maple's eyes crossed as she tried to track her friend, shaking it off Maple powered up her tiny wings again and lifted off the top of the building. Heading up and forward to a spot that Rhapsody had crossed a number of times in the short time Maple had been watching. Unfortunately this was already well above the height Maple was comfortable with, and once again her hooves shot up over her eyes.... unlike last time however -this time her back legs decided to help as well...

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
As the STOMP team reached the cauldron, the mayor frowned at Night Cap but said nothing as she ladled stew into each of their bowls. There wasn't a main sitting area but individual families and friends were sitting about eating and chatting.

Maple thinks she has reached the spot she was headed to... but dare not uncover and open her eyes to check... the best she can do is maintain a hover and call out to the other Pegasus.

"Miss Rhapsody... are you okay? Please come here.. I very much don't like this..." Maple, her voice shaking a little.

Static took his bowl and sat down with the others. He leaned over to Night Cap. "I'm guessing your last meeting with the server didn't go too well?"

Light Fantastic gratefully accepted the stew.

"You don't have to worry," she told Static, "We both weren't sure what her agenda was, so we just left her alone."

"Good to hear," Static says to Light Fantastic. "Don't mean to spaz, but all I have to do is hear her name and the hair on the back of my neck just stands on end. And that's after I've already faced a COIN invasion of the Keep and an ancient Anugypt princess possessing the entire crowd of..." Static cuts himself off, realizing that of all ponies, that may still be a sore spot for Light Fantastic. He shakes his head and takes a breath. "Yeah, Dazzling's the one run-in that still creeps me out."

"I believe you. You do seem to heal fast, though. Just this morning you could barely walk. Maybe they mistook that for faking?"

Maple thinks she has reached the spot she was headed to... but dare not uncover and open her eyes to check... the best she can do is maintain a hover and call out to the other Pegasus.

"Miss Rhapsody... are you okay? Please come here.. I very much don't like this..." Maple yelled, her voice shaking a little.

Rhapsody blinks and looks to Maple, heaving heard her as she yells and flies over to her to make things easier on the small mare. "I am fine. I just need to think." She replies.

Static was unsure how to respond to that. There were times when he was convinced Night Cap exaggerated a bit. Other times, it seemed he was being uncomfortably honest.

And in those moments, it made him think of how he was disowned by his father at five years old, how he was bullied in school, how he always lived on the edge of poverty and now how he was in a constant fight for the fate of Equestria as well as his own life...and how compared to the pony at his side, he didn't have a damn thing to complain about.

"Pony feathers!"

"What? Oh...no! It's just a saying." Static sighed. "It's just, I sometimes get so caught up in my own life...I forget that..." Static shook his head. "Never mind. It's nothing."

"Elementary, my dear Night Cap...Elementary. And 'pony feathers' is among the more...mild curses I learned there."

Maple sighed heavily, Miss Rhapsody had found her.
"Miss Rhapsody, I came looking for you because I wanted to say I'm sorry." Maple risked a peak out from between her hooves... doing her best to focus entirely on the pony in front of her. "You shouldn't have to feel as responsible for us as we make ourselves seem to need you to be." Maple lunged at the larger pegasus getting her in a tight hug around the neck. "thank ..you ..fffor ...llloookkinng.. oooutt fooor uuuss." Maple was trembling so much at this point it was chattering her teeth.

"I learned how to defend myself against someone twice my size...and get punished for it. Perfectly valid lesson I think."

Anchors Away looked up from her stew with concern,
"That sounds terrible."

"It...wasn't fun...but..." Static gave a glance at Night Cap...then looked sullenly at the town around them, "at the moment, my problems just seem so...petty!"

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Rhapsody blinks at the tight hug and acknowledgement and thanks for what she does. She slowly descends and puts the smaller mare. "That might just change my mind on something." She muses softly before looking at Maple with a smile. "It is nothing to do with how you, or anyone else presents themselves as that makes me feel responsible, Maple." She says and sits down. She takes a deep breathe, closing her eyes for a moment. She really didn't like talking about her past, but is had slightly come up on the plane, and somewhat with Snowy... She'd even avoided talking much about it with Amber. To her, the past should be left in the past. But now, maybe it might help some pony understand her a bit more.

"I am one of three sisters, triplets though you'd likely never tell as I am a pegasus, Symphony is a Unicorn, and Harmony is an Earth pony. When we were younger, we did a LOT of stupid stuff, you know how foals are, stupid and think they are invincible." She says with a huff and a shake of her head. "We did everything we could to prove ourselves. I was a hot shot braggart, Symphony... well she's was and pretty much still is kinda a coward but she never lets that stop her... much... usually... and then Harmony was generally the more level headed of the three of us, but also kinda smug at times. While mom mostly taught me, and Dad mostly taught Symphony due to our tribes, they both seemed to overcompensate for Harmony. She was treated like a princess, more or less, because she was different, the only Earth pony in the family and they wanted to make sure she never felt like she was missing out on anything because she couldn't fly or do magic as easily." Rhapsody says as she explains, though by now she's gotten up and started to pace around the smaller pony as she talked. She just couldn't sit still while this was on her mind.

"One day, I got really upset with Harmony's attitude. I can't really remember why or what the fight was over, but I do remember telling her that she was only a stupid earth pony and wasn't special at all, and she had no reason to always act so high and mighty. That stung her deeper then I realized at the time. Harmony, despite it all, I learned later on, always dealt with an inferiority complex and having her own sister tell her she was practically worthless? She ran off. She had decided that she was gonna prove herself once and for all to everyone me, our family, the village, it didn't matter she was gonna be an Earth pony everypony remembered." As she talks, maple might noticed a visual tick, Rhapsody's eye start to twitch. "Stupid. So very stupid." She huffs and shakes her head. "She headed out into the forest, to try and deal with one of the shadow foxes that were in the area. Shadow Foxes, if you don't know, are pitch black in color and able to move through the darkness like we move through doors. They're skilled hunters and had been a nuisance to our farmers for several months. She felt that if she could even fell just one, she would be a town hero." She stamps her hoof and digs at the ground in frustration. "She almost ended up their lunch." She huffs, barely holding back tears.

"I still don't know the full story, she refuses to talk about it even nowadays. Symphony and I ad followed after her, after I calmed down and out parents told us to go get her. We never expected her to go past the village boarder over a stupid fight. Being the flyer, I found her first. She was being attacked by a shadow fox. I tried to drive it off. Using my speed to fluster it and a few battering ram moves I'd seen in fiction, though I was losing. It was Symphony that finally managed to run it off, a fireworks spell that didn't go exactly as she wanted... Rather then meangin to me a signal for adults it kinda exploded... next to the shadow fox... Scared and injured it fled as quickly as it could. Harmony had been badly mauled by it already and was bleeding badly. Symphony knew a weak healing spelling that managed to keep her stable til we got her back to the village. If it had been only me, there was no way she would have survived. I wouldn't have been able to drive the shadow fox off alone nor would I been able to carry her back fast enough to save her if I did. Symphony recovered, but avoided going near the forest for any reason. She eventually took up archery to learn how to fight at a distance as she never wanted to be that close to something that wanted to kill her ever again. For myself, I spent most my free time driving myself to get stronger, faster... I wasn't going to let anyone die because I wasn't good enough, I wasn't gonna leave survival up to chance that someone more skilled might come along." She says her eyes clenched though that right one still throbs and twitches.

"It is ALSO why, I don't talk about stuff... particularly if I don't like someone... I'm not going to falsely accuse anyone, especially to their faces, unless I have some real form of proof. But now I was forced to. Because Static couldn't deal with the fact I'm not friendly towards ONE pony in the group. And now, it is very likely, that this is somehow gonna blow up in our faces, because now Night Cap feels like he can't be trusted... fool can't even join in properly on a sing-a-long, because he doesn't feel like he's part of the group." She says with another huff and finally seems to calm herself down. "To be honest with you, I was planning to quit STOMP once we got back." That might explain her earlier comment after the hug. "No point in having somepony most the team doesn't seem to know or like much around, no point in being called a heartless mule by your coworker just because you don't want to be open and friendly to everyone, no reason to stick around when I get chewed out because some self-righteous twit thinks he's better then me because he protects 'because its the right thing to do'" She says momentarily doing an intentionally bad impersonation of Static "rather then it being a my role on the team. Yes, let the projectionist with anger issues save you rather the the mare that's actually a trained fighter. Let see him break a boulder with his barehoof." She huffs. Its obvious that while she might have told him she didn't care, it still got to her. "And now, if because of this something does happen, an I'll admit the petty mean side of me really really wants something bad to happen so that this expedition goes belly up and Anchors has to be reassigned so very very very far away from him all because he had to force an issue at the wrong time, but even i know that would be wrong to want for, but if it does happen I will for certain resign. So yes, this could be the last STOMP mission I am on, but it depends on how everything goes. And I would REALLY appreciate it if you didn't tell anyone, because I really don't want another big stupid argument weighing this team down before we go into a very likely dangerous swamp and into caved filled with Luna knows what."

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Anchors Away sighed, "We all have problems Static. What it comes down to is how we handle it. A sing & dance party will be easier for me while we're in the swamp but I'd hope we wouldn't be starting out the expedition in a bad mood. By the way, how's your stew?"

"It's delicious," he replied, though he took no joy in it. He sighed as he set the spoon down in his bowl. "Was I wrong, Anchors? Is it so wrong that I refuse to let someone smile at someone else in the face while at the same time holding some kind of grudge against them? "

"She may protect him same as anypony else out here on the field. But I've met ponies just like her before. She would throw Night Cap under the bus over the slightest opportunity in her report to Ms. Iron."

"Not that I don't have faith in Ms. Iron to see right through it, but, Luna bless! I wasn't saying they should become best friends or anything. I just wanted her to lay off!"

"Buck! I even went back to my notebook after I said my piece, only she kept needling me...and yet I'm the bad guy? Buck!"

"Just wanted her to lay off. It wasn't supposed to be some big bucking production."

"It's delicious," he replied, though he took no joy in it. He sighed as he set the spoon down in his bowl. "Was I wrong, Anchors? Is it so wrong that I refuse to let someone smile at someone else in the face while at the same time holding some kind of grudge against them? "

"She may protect him same as anypony else out here on the field. But I've met ponies just like her before. She would throw Night Cap under the bus over the slightest opportunity in her report to Ms. Iron."

"Not that I don't have faith in Ms. Iron to see right through it, but, Luna bless! I wasn't saying they should become best friends or anything. I just wanted her to lay off!"

"Buck! I even went back to my notebook after I said my piece, only she kept needling me...and yet I'm the bad guy? Buck!"

"Just wanted her to lay off. It wasn't supposed to be some big bucking production."

"It's delicious,"
he replied, though he took no joy in it. He sighed as he set the spoon down in his bowl. "Was I wrong, Anchors? Is it so wrong that I refuse to let someone smile at someone else in the face while at the same time holding some kind of grudge against them? "

Anchors Away put her hoof over Static Signal's mouth, waited a long moment, then put her hoof back down, "Focus on the stew for now. Why is it delicious?"

Static sighed helplessly. He was less and less hungry by the moment. He took another taste though, trying to focus on it.

"I...I don't know. I'm finding it hard to concentrate on food now," he says taking another bite, really trying for Anchors sake.

"I mean, with such limited resources...ponyfeathers...they didn't even have the swamp peppers they needed...but they still pulled it off. They didn't have what they would normally use, so they adapted their...recipe...and they made it anyway."

Misty puts her lips to the stew in her bowl.

*Schluuuuurrrrrppppp*

"Wow! That was great!"

Veldfire Green flew over to the group carrying a large stack of papers held tight by a paper clip. "Sorry to interrupt but vith Night Cap here assisting vith charting the tunnels inside of the mountain I was vondering if there vas any sort of official procedure for submitting documentation to the Equestrian Expedition Keep. This vas much more detailed than our aerial map so I vondered if the museum might have an interest. Or...

Nevermind, it was vrong of me to bother you vhile you were eating. Sorry."

Night Cap's ears perk.

"We work for the Documents department at the Keep. I would imagine that any documentation would go through us."

"And every little bit helps, I'm sure. And you're no bother!" Static says with a warm smile. "Thank you. You and your town have been very kind to us."

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
They were on the ground ... Maple was happy about that, but not about all of the things Miss Rhapsody was saying. The story of her and her sisters was sad, the idea that she was thinking about leaving was sad... and when Maple got sad, she couldn't avoid thinking about her own life.

"I might not look it, but I know what it's like to 'have to be strong'... Maple futzed with some dirt that had piled up from Rhapsody's movements. she then unhooked her locket and held it up open for the larger Pegasus to see the portrait inside. The picture was a head shot of a pony that looked exactly like Maple ..other than being older and she was differently coloured. - Obviously a relative.

"Everywhere I go, I look for this pony... I don't know who or where she is... or why she's in my locket, All I remember is a loud noise, a flash of light and falling rocks. I think she might be my mother... Miss Sweet -the lady I live with, told me she thinks I've repressed the memory ...or somehow or the other got amnesia." Maple's eyes began leaking the sad water, and she quickly drew the locket back and hugged it to her chest.

"Before you taking us to train last night ...I'd never flown, I'm to scared, I must have been flying when whatever I forgot happened ..happened, Ponies smarter than me -Amber smart ponies, have talked to me about it... but nothing they did got me off the ground very much. enough to prove that my wings did work... " Maple's sobbing had slowed to a trickle as she refastened the clasp on the locket's necklace.

"I agreed to join the team because I could travel to places I'd normally never make it to, where I could ask Pony's if they knew who she was. But when the Chief Director said our first mission was here... I was so worried, but then we got to train with you... and You and Mr. Skylinx showed me I could do it... made me want to do it. and now I'm here with the chance to meet everyone in town for stew... But the pony responsible for all of it... You... weren't there to enjoy it with me."

Maple's wings and legs shot out in six directions "THE STEW!" she might be a better Pegasus now then she was two days ago... but Maple still had to build her confidence... so sadly she flops onto her belly in the dirt, legs akimbo ... wings flapping ineffectually.

Veldfire Green gave them the papers.
"Vell, a lot of the town is...disappointed...to see Night Cap's presence. I just hope they're fair to the rest of you. Speaking of that, I didn't get the rest of your names." "Anchors Away, team lead for the expedition."

Sheesh. They complain when I start fires, and they complain when I don't help start fires. There's just no winning with these small towns.

Rhapsody listens to the story, part of her wonders if its better not to remember something like that, then to have it always weigh on you and your actions. "Well, with luck you'll find her, or maybe remember what happened eventually. Failing that, there always a chance a Unicorn could maybe do a memory spell on you or something."

The black pegasus blinks a bit at the talk of the training and how she was thankful for it. "Huh, and here I though you were rather pissed at me last night after the training." She says with a half smile to the smaller pony, she was certainly starting to feel better now. "Here, let me help." Rhapsody lifts Maple up onto her back and lets her ride as she makes to the town hall where the stew is.

Static Signal, documentary maker.

Static took Night Caps smiling wave as a good sign. With a friendly smile he waved Rhapsody to a nearby seat at the same table after she'd gotten her stew. "Hey, Rhapsody, got somethin' to ask ya!"

Misty waves to Veldfire Green. "My name's Misty Monsoon, and I'm the team navigator!"

~on the quick ride over~
"I wasn't.... hmmed ...., I just took a few things at face value you without stopping to think there was something deeper going on behind it. I like Mr. Night Cap, but now knowing your perspective..I understand what an interesting spot you were in having him there to train with us." Maple smiled like she was just given a whole cake as she held tight to Miss Rhapsody... they were going so fast...

Spoiler
Shadewing

"Amber Spark, that's Spark, singular, antiquarian and restorations expert trained at the Barb School of Cursorial Studies," said Amber, eying the stew and taking a tentative nibble, still glancing up at the sky at intervals, wondering what had happened to the pegasi.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Snowy dips his head towards Veldfire. "Snowy Skies." He says simply. "This soup is lovely. Lively, too. Do you think when we return from the caves, I could see a ghost pepper?"

"It's 'svamp pepper'. You might see some sooner since my brother vill be leaving out at the same time as you to harvest some more."

Snowy blinked. He hadn't had strings that tangled in a while. But it was certainly fun to hear Veldfire use w words. "Right, sorry. Is Nightmare Heights high enough for snow?"

~on the quick ride over~
"I wasn't.... hmmed ...., I just took a few things at face value without stopping to think there was something deeper going on behind it. I like Mr. Night Cap, but now knowing your perspective..I understand what an interesting spot you were in having him there to train with us." Maple smiled like she was just given a whole cake as she held tight to Miss Rhapsody... they were going so fast...

Spoiler
Shadewing

"I specifically asked Sky Lynx to be rough with him, I wanted to see if he would break. After all, getting your flank handed to you by an angry griffon is gonna cause some cracks to appear if everything is a lie. I'm still not sure if I trust Night Cap, but I am at least willing to admit he's dedicated, to what I don't really know, and I can respect him trying to continue even when hurt." Rhapsody replies as they make their way to the town hall much quicker then she thought it would take. Maybe the town is just really smaller then it looks...

Static took Night Cap's smiling wave as a good sign. With a friendly smile he waved Rhapsody to a nearby seat at the same table after she'd gotten her stew. "Hey, Rhapsody, got somethin' to ask ya!"

After getting her stew and sitting down next to Amber, Rhapsody gave static a curt nod, not really wanting to speak more to him, but isn't going to avoid him and have another bucking scene erupt. "Yes?"

Misty stares intently at Night Cap's trophy. Or, rather, she appears to stare, given that her eyes are invisible under the bangs of her name.

After a moment she speaks up."Huh. That thing looks kinda familiar?"

Maple was thinking about what Rhapsody had said... but a very loud grumble -rumbled from her empty belly and all thoughts besides food had to be put on a shelf for a few moments. Maple was relieved to see that they hadn't missed the meal entirely. The bowl of stew was actually rather large with a generous portion, so much so that it was slightly awkward for the tiny pony and she needed the air of her wings and front hooves to hold it while stumbling -carefully- toward a table.

"Hello Miss Green, my name is Maple." Maple said as she sat her bowl down neat Misty and Snowy. "I'm very much looking forward to meeting as many ponies I can while we're here, would you like a caramel toffee?"

[This is Snowy]​
"They're quite good."

Amber smiled at Rhapsody as she approached and nodded appreciatively over her bowl of stew. She began to look a very little bit worried as Static addressed Rhapsody, but said nothing, seeming to contemplate a bit of beet on her tongue.

As the filly gave Night Cap a quick hug and then scampered off, Veldfire Green replied, "Ve sometimes schedule snow for some vinters but not too much. As far as candy, no thanks. Not particularly big on sweets."

"oh okay..." Maple sighed.

Static let out a breath he was holding. She sounded curt, but he could hardly blame her. He was still kinda raw himself. Still, this wasn't about hurt feelings. He put on as much of an upbeat and friendly tone in his voice as possible.

"Yes, well, Night Cap and I are co-creating something you might be interested in.

"We were watching some old Luna documentaries yesterday. Quite depressing how off ponies were in what we thought we knew. I'm sure you know better than most.

"Well, we got permission to make our own documentary: what history had wrong, what really happened, her life before and after Nightmare Moon.

"I was hoping we could add you on as an adviser. You could point us in directions, keep us honest, factual, respectful. You'd get full credit and..."

Static did a double take. "Sweet Luna!" He framed Rhapsody's face with his hooves, squinting and tilting his head. "Add a horn, armor...maybe we could convince Snowy to add some effects to the hair..."

Static shook out of it. *ahem* "Sorry! That's beside the point."

Static took another deep breath, his tone becoming more serious.

"Here's the caveat. This is as much Night Cap's project as it is mine. It's a great opportunity for him. It'll look good on a resume and could open up some doors for him. For me, it's my dream project. I'll finally be getting my own work out to the public, start to finish. The fact that it's about Luna only sweetens the deal. And for you, well, I'm hoping it will be a lot of fun.

"So I want this to be fun for all of us. While I'm sure there's going to be a certain amount of butting heads, just like any project, I want the over all tone of this to be pleasent.

"So...can we work together?"

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
"I probably know better then most." She says as she looks over to him. "My family, on my mother's side, used to serve as part of her Royal Guard before she fell. Supposedly, my great great great great... you likely get the idea... grandfather was the Captain of her guards during her downfall. As such, my family have passed down tales and stories of Luna, some would say 'the truth' but stories as you know, always get embellished. Heck, even among my family their a stories about how we might actually be descended from Luna." She says with the first honest l! augh she's had in a while. "That story basically says that he and Luna had a foal and raised in in secret after her banishment. Never put much stock into that one myself." She says and shakes her head. "Though it is widely believed among my family that they may indeed be lovers, it would just be crazy if any kinda 'god' blood flowed through me..." She says with just a slight hint of falsity.

"I can help a lot, though my Mother is the one that currently holds the family's chronicle. If we ever end up in Canterlot, maybe we could see her, or maybe I could see about borrowing it from her. Regardless, yes I know that there is a lot of lies and falsehoods that arose from the 'Nightmare War' or whatever term they are calling it nowadays. What's become of Nightmare night is the worst, with how much it's been corrupted from its original intent after her fall." Rhapsody says with a sigh and a shake of her head before focusing her attention back on Static, her gaze still harsh towards him. "So yeah, I'll help as much as I can, but I'm doing it for Luna rather then either of you. So If you can accept that I don't particularly like either of you currently, then I am sure we get this done."

Spoiler

So If you can accept that I don't particularly like either of you

I don't particularly like either of you

either of you

either of you

either of you

No

So If you can accept that I don't particularly like either of you DELETE Y / N ?

So If you can accept that I don't particularly like you

Poor Static. Rhapsody's still mad about earlier.

Hey, food.

Nigh Cap smiles and eats the remainder of his stew. It's delicious.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
"I didn't realize your family was that close to the royal family. I'm glad we came to you.

"While it's on my mind, Night Cap and I found a really old film yesterday. I'm afraid it was damaged. Mr. Quill's trying what he can to repair it. I have my notes right here though if you want to look at them. But off hand, it said something about some journeys Luna used to take with a navigator named 'Nightshine' and a leader named 'Black Night'. Given the hero pegasus that guards over Caballuston, that last one interested me. Not sure if you may have any insight on that?"

Static paused for just half a moment to brace himself.

"As far as liking either of us...fair enough. At the moment, I'm doubt there's a lot of warm fuzzies between any of us. This is probably going to be a long project, though. So I do hope that eventually that changes.

"Not to drudge anything up...but you were right. As long as the job gets done, screw motivations. I get that. I do. I'd rather be saved by someone I have a rivalry with than to get killed.

"At the same time, would you rather have a co-worker who you can't stand being around, or a co-worker who you can take a group to a local club, sing loudly to a room full of strangers, dance on tables and make memories that you can never tell the kids about?

"You're an interesting pony, Rhapsody. You just became infinitely more interesting. We may not like each other now, but eventually, I'd like to test the endurance of some tables.

"That...came out wrong,"
Static backtracked quickly. "What I mean is...well..." Static sighs. "You know what I mean."

Rhapsody looks down to the note reading over it a bit and back up to static, shrugging faintly. "Maybe they're a history buff? Not like it would be really hard to find out information about him if you look." She pauses for a moment. "Have you looked up information on the Night Guard? The last Captain of the guard before it was more or less disbanded? He was a hero in his time, though after Luna's fall pretty much everything related to her ended up getting corrupted. Regardless, its not uncommon for parents to name foals after historical figures, or even take nicknames ba! sed off of them. Look up Firefly sometime, I'm sure you'll find plenty of pegasi named after General Firefly of the Wonderbolts. Doesn't mean any of them are actually connected to her." The black pegasus replies with shrug before adding other possibilities. "Maybe some pony gave them that name hoping to bring back honor to a name history has forgotten and treated as part of a bunch of monsters Luna sent to attack poor innocent ponies that worshiped her sister... Or Maybe its just pure coincidence. Dark figure that stalks the night and scares criminals taking a name to remind that the night can dark and unforgiving?" Rhapsody asks with a half smile.

Rhapsody smiles a bit more at being told she is right, but then shakes her head. "I don't really socialize." She replies, "I pretty much just do my job, both of them: Astronomer of the Keep and member of STOMP, and then go home an relax, or go to Sky Lynx's gym to hit things." Though she was at the dinner after the opera battle, but that's about the only time Static has seen her outside of work.

Static takes notes as Rhapsody talks. "This is our first day working on it. We looked over as many document that the Keep had before meeting to come here. I plan on hitting the library once we get back."

Static turned downcast as Rhapsody talked about her social life. "Well, I'm not sure I'm one to talk about social lives. Used to be I'd go to work, go home and drink so much cider I pass out. Then the morning comes and I'd do it all over again.

"I just...I couldn't keep doing that. It got so...lonely. I do hope that maybe just once in a while you might make it a point to get out and meet ponies.

"I know the perfect place. It's the Prance and Dance over on 16th and Puddinghead Boulevard. They have 3 different levels, a lower deck so that even the poorest of ponies can still enjoy a good time, street level for family friendly entertainment and of course the VIP section. They're open 7pm to 3am Fridays and Saturdays. You should check it out some time. I bet Amber would like it."

Maple smiled and stopped acting like a monster and instead struck a much more heroic pose, with her chest puffed out and her little wings drawn back.

"Little, she's practically as big as me. Maybe she even has a bit of a crush on you Mr. Night Cap. I know if some Dashing Stallion saved me from a horrible monster, it would take some poor colt an awful amount of effort to sway me on hearts and hooves day." Maple knew she was being silly... but maybe Miss Rhapsody was right about what she said before, maybe if he was low on self confidence going into this mission, he would try something extra risky... Maple wanted Night Cap to know that there were ponies that saw his true value.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Anchors Away stretched, "That was a wonderful meal. We're setting out first thing tomorrow so I'm going to bed. Goodnight everypony. Don't be up too late."

Maple sat down as Miss Away began speaking ... If a good night sleep was the team leader's suggestion Maple would have to question the locals as quickly as she could.

Static takes notes as Rhapsody talks. "This is our first day working on it. We looked over as many document that the Keep had before meeting to come here. I plan on hitting the library once we get back."

Static turned downcast as Rhapsody talked about her social life. "Well, I'm not sure I'm one to talk about social lives. Used to be I'd go to work, go home and drink so much cider I pass out. Then the morning comes and I'd do it all over again.

"I just...I couldn't keep doing that. It got so...lonely. I do hope that maybe just once in a while you might make it a point to get out and meet ponies.

"I know the perfect place. It's the Prance and Dance over on 16th and Puddinghead Boulevard. They have 3 different levels, a lower deck so that even the poorest of ponies can still enjoy a good time, street level for family friendly entertainment and of course the VIP section. They're open 7pm to 3am Fridays and Saturdays. You should check it out some time. I bet Amber would like it."

Rhapsody looks over to Night Cap. "Different libraries have different resources, usually focused on what is needed most for that town. A town that has heavy fishing trade, is gonna have more information on those topics. At least in my experience." She states before looking back to Static, of course she couldn't say that her reason for not being social involved spending a lot of her actual free time as a masked vigilante.

"While I don't have much of a social life, you'd be surprised the amount of ponies I end up interacting with just by doing my normal routine. I don't drink myself to unconsciousness, I don't struggle through doing my jobs, because I enjoy them. When you join us for the next training session, you'll realize the Gym I go to isn't exactly lacking in personalities." She laughs. "Sky Lynx will talk your ears off if you give him even the slightest bit of an opening." She says and then shakes her head.

"The main difference between us is that I have always known I have something to live for, I know why I need deal with all that gets thrown at me; while you are really only now discovering that. Its good that you are trying to connect, trying to find similarities and common ground between us, but I've never given up on life." Rhapsody says in a clam tone, not attacking or accusing Static of anything... not really since it seemed pretty obvious that he didn't have much to live for before recently. "I'm not cold and distant because I am filled with anger, I am not isolated because I don't freely socialize like other ponies. I just have clear goals, and sometimes I might be too focused on them that I blind myself to other things... but sometimes that is the price one pays for dedication to a cause." This wasn't a dressing down, she wasn't scolding Static for the comparison he was making. Her tone remained neutral, and simply stated fact wanting him to understand to some extent of why she did itt, without having to go into too deep of details.

Though she did glance at Amber who remained mostly quiet. "Though, maybe we will check out that club, one night when we both have time." She smiles.

"sometimes that is the price one pays for dedication to a cause."

Night Cap stares at Rhapsody with a weary look. Well, more weary than his usual weary look. There's more to it than lack of deep sleep this time.

"I understand" he says as somberly as he ever says anything. "You and I really need to talk sometime. Maybe after the next training session."

Static nodded as Rhapsody spoke and smiled as she got to the point of taking Amber out.

"Well, that's fair enough." Static yawns. "Goodness! Sorry about that. Came out of nowhere. I think Anchors may be right." He gets up from the table. "Today's been a...I wouldn't say long day...but it's certainly been a heck of an emotional rollercoaster. I'm going to call it a night.

"And Rhapsody...thanks."

Maple took one last look at Night Cap... gave him a silly grin and lopsided look over his comment, and then she had to leave and go talk to other ponies.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Snowy stands up from the table, nodding to Veldfire. "Thank you again for the meal. It was delicious. I look forward to meeting your brother." He nuzzles Light Fantastic one more time, idly wondering what made her smell so nice. "Good night." He says softly, turning tail and slowly meandering towards their group quarters. There was just something about this town that made the world slow down a little. He liked it. By the time he reaches the door, his brain has processed who else had turned in at this point, so he hesitates before entering, listening to see if Static and Anchors were talking about anything.

Spoiler

Snowy Skies saw that Anchors Away was fast asleep. There was a small glass of water sitting next to her and an ice cube setting on her head.

Static noticed he and Anchors were alone in the room. He doubted that would last fore more than a minute...tops. Now probably wasn't the time for any conversation that was too deep. Still, there was one thing that had been bothering him.

"I'm sorry about pressuring you to dance on the ride over. I didn't realize it would take so much out of you," he said, remembering how she'd been gasping for air.

Misty headed back to the sleeping quarters, inwardly puzzling over Night Cap's trophy and why it looked so familiar. Had she seen it before? If so... where? Back home? That didn't seem to make sense, how would it have gotten all the way here?

She doesn't let it bother her for very long, though, and is soon curled up in the corner, fast asleep.

Static was running through the museum, excited about his new project. He seemed to be dragging something but couldn't remember what. *ba-bump* Hmm...that was interesting. But he couldn't puzzle that out right now. He had to get to Mr. Quill's office. *ba-bump* What the heck is that? Oh well. He made it to Mr. Quill's office.

That's when he turned around to see Night Cap, broken, bruised and bloody. "Night Cap! Oh geeze! I'm sorry. I just..." "It's not bad. Do you think we can slow down a tad?"

Night Cap fell to the ground. Static rushed to check on him. "Oh no! He...he's not breathing. Somepony help!"

He could hear a huff behind him. "And here I thought you were supposed to be protecting them!"

"Them?"

Static turned to see Rhapsody. Anchors was right next to her, gasping for air from the exhaustion. She soon went limp and fell to the ground next to Rhapsody.

"Anchors! No! I...I didn't know it would exhaust her like that. I just wanted..."

"It's all about what you want, isn't it? Some hero!"

Static shot up in his sleeping bag. Anchors was still sleeping peacefully with an icecube on her head. Misty had just walked in and gotten into her corner. Static doubted she noticed him bolting up right. Others were still coming in.

Pony feathers! That meant he was barely asleep for a minute...and already the nightmares were starting.

Static shook his head, rubbing his temples with his hooves. It was going to be a long night.

Snowy carefully stepped into the room, making certain he wasn't going to step on anypony. Moving silently certainly wasn't a problem. Of course, none of that helped him when Static bolted upright just as he passed behind him. Quietly regarding Static's shifting shoulders and sweat-streaked coat, Snowy purses his lips and raises an eyebrow, holding the expression and waiting for his visage to come back into Static's field of vision.

Light Fantastic nuzzled Snowy back.

"I think it's high time I turned in as well," she said, "Good night everypony, and thank you for the delicious meal."

She trotted off to the sleeping quarters.

"Oh, Snowy! Didn't mean to startle you," he whispered, trying not to disturb the others. "everything okay?"

Snowy nods. "Sure. Everything okay with you?" He asks, eyebrow still raised, at a completely normal volume. Sooner or later Static would remember who he was talking to.

"sometimes that is the price one pays for dedication to a cause."
Night Cap stares at Rhapsody with a weary look. Well, more weary than his usual weary look. There's more to it than lack of deep sleep this time.

"I understand" he says as somberly as he ever says anything. "You and I really need to talk sometime. Maybe after the next training session."

Rhapsody looks over to Night. "Yes. Maybe." She replies curtly, sure to put that on her list of things to do. Somewhere far down on her list...

As the other ponies seem to be retiring for the night, Rhapsody finishes up her meal, and waits for Amber before heading to be with her.

Static scoffed. "At this point, I'd be more weirded out if I had an actual good dream. Not even sure what that would be like." Static shook his head in resignation. "I just hope I don't wind up waking up anypony else."

"Well I'm not silencing your sleeping bag for the night. If something ridiculous happens I want you awake immediately. 'Night." Snowy pads over to his own sleeping bag, snuggling in and sighing internally as he remembers that he's always had a rubbish time falling asleep in new places. He always forgot after a few months in one place. With a quiet grumble, he stares at the ceiling, idly wondering what good dreams are like. A good night involved dreamless sleep, but a good dream...hm.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
While many of the ponies in the town were tired, they were quickly drawn to Maplejack's plight. Most were unable to offer anything other than the hope that she'd succeed but the mayor was taken aback. The mare in the locket looked similar to someone she bumped into when visiting a friend far north. However, no names were exchanged. Maplejack turned in for the night to a similar dream as usual but it was as if there was something different in the corner of her mind's eye.

Heading to bed and drifting off to a world of slumber, Night Cap ! soon found himself in a cavernous room filled with books stacked high as towers. Perched atop a stack, a familiar face inquisitively looked down on Night Cap. "My my. A dreamwalker explains some things."

Dazzling Midnight smiled. "Something like that. When I was younger, I read far faster than my mind could comprehend. While other ponies rest at night, I take the time to read." She very daintily turned a page with her snout. "Oh, and thank you for the compliment on my mane."

"Simply part of a lifelong goal. Since you're a guest here, may I have your name?"

"I've never heard of you but I'll be sure to do my research. My name is Dazzling Midnight. How is your friend Static Signal doing?"

"Alas, it's such a shame he didn't take our job offer."

"Isn't it? It's so sad when ponies don't accept the offers that come their way. Just how did you meet Static? He doesn't seem to be the most sociable type."

Dazzling Midnight flipped another page. "Interesting. He's never referenced you for entry. Hiring Woes have been quite a thing recently."

Maple had completed all she could do... it was disturbing to think she might have been traveling the entirely wrong direction this entire time... The mayor had said north. - She had to put it out of her mind for now though, she had work to do in the morning... and that required a good night of sleep.

Slipping into the area where everypony else was sleeping, Maple saw a nice cozy spot.

Moving Past Mr. Night Cap, Maple's heart filled with joy... fast asleep, He had the biggest smile ever on his face.

"Enjoy a good dream Mr. Night Cap, Fly high and save the day and win the heart of a beautiful mare." Maple whispered, before scrunching down into her spot. She wasn't comfortable in sleeping bags... to many nights on the road with rocks for pillows.

"Of course. We simply must be patient and better will come along. We lost a higher up recently but I feel it was for the best. He wasn't particularly good for morale. Very few wanted to work with him due to his views. I have the utmost respect for a skilled earth pony but he had an over-inflated sense of self. I know somepony who matches his strength and she's ever so much more clever.

But enough about that. To change things up a bit, who is your favorite princess?"

[He must have name dropped Pound Sterling here.]​

"Call me old fashioned but I still rather prefer Celestia. All the kids today say Luna but she has no sense of humor."

"You've heard of him..? Ah...of course you have. Anyways, I have respect for Celestia but my favorite is Cadance. Love is such a powerful emotion and can push ponies to do great things. It's really only matched by fear."

"Oh my. You seem quite knowledgeable of this. Wielding both is the fun part of my job."

"You are a rather interest individual. I just may need to expedite your background check. The benefit of being high up in an organization is the ability to require others do what you say."

"That sounds a lot better than my job. I really don't do a whole lot. Again, I'm not sure the job actually exists. I don't think they had a secretary before; I have no real responsibilities, and I don't even have a desk. I mostly follow Static around all day, waiting for him to toss me a few crumbs of work. When he's done with me I go back to his boss to see if he has any crumbs to give. It feels like they've been asked to foalsit me, and they're just taking turns keeping me busy."

Dazzling Midnight frowned. "Profit is what you make of a situation. Ponies look down upon things like secretaries, waiters, and the like when they do so much work for others. My rank has changed over the years but my job has not." She smiled again. "And I do so love my job. Recruitment allows me to befriend ponies and friendship is quite magical, no? The lonely stallion who'd just like a pretty mare to smile his way. The insecure young mare who'd like a big sister figure to look up to. The elder who'd like somepony to humor their wish for one final hurrah of adventure. I'm in the business of selling dreams. Something I think you'd appreciate, Night Cap."

Amber had kept out of Rhapsody's conversation with Static, but it had been good to see the two of them speaking civilly to one another. Her mind had quickly drifted away from the perfectly serviceable and unremarkable stew and comparable conversation (the documentary and the Prench bar sounded quite lovely, of course, and Amber would be quite willing to come along for either as a supportive marefriend ought) as she considered the expedition ahead, the strange unsolved puzzle waiting for her at the museum, and somewhat more ominously, Ms. Monsoon's questions about COIN and whether or not the expedition team might encounter them again.

As much as Amber felt that now was a very good time to be asking questions, it was an even better time for sorting out just which questions needed answering, and by whom.

And of course, one conspicuous question mark had been sitting right across from Amber sipping her stew, and Amber couldn't help occasionally looking in Anchors Away's direction and trying not to stare. Would Ms. Away even have stepped in on Rhapsody and Static's argument on the ferry if Amber and Mr. Skies had not?

As the ponies began to tuck themselves away, Amber tried to file away her preoccupations as well. A warm nuzzle and a fond look exchanged with Rhapsody helped as she curled herself into her sleeping bag, but she found herself still turning things over in her head as she drifted off to sleep, unsure whether she was solving a puzzle cube or just trying not to flinch at the next tennis ball.

"Dreamwalking isn't in my repertoire. It's just a pretty basic assumption to make since there's no other reason why you'd be here carrying on a conversation in my dreams."

Dazzling Midnight chuckled as she looked at Night Cap. "It can be disappointing when one doesn't see their own potential. With a key as a cutie mark, you are somepony who can unlock doors. It all goes back to profit being what you make of it. It's not just money. Well, this has been quite a difference in my usual nightly routine and it was very informative but I have a lot of work to do. Until we meet again..." The room collapsed inward in a shudder of papers like feathers swirling in a twister.

"Au revoir."

Night Cap was left alone in a vast and desolate tundra in the peak of a blinding arctic summer.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Rhapsody smiles to Amber, nuzzling her warmly and giving her a soft kiss on the cheek before curling up in her sleeping bag. It'd been a long, mentally exhausting day for her and she was just ready to deal with sleep now. It didn't take the black pegasus long to drift into the land of dreams, and anything her mind could come up with was surely better then what reality has given her so far today.

The STOMP team awoke to a high pitched whistling noise and a sizzling scent lingering in the air. The sun had just barely peaked over the horizon as they could see a table had been moved into the room. Each plate had sauteed carrots on it and near each was a small mug. Anchors Away waited for the team to wake up before she moved the tea kettle off of the old stove sitting by the wall. "Good morning everypony, breakfast is served. You'll have twenty minutes before we leave out for our expedition so eat up and get ready."

Static bolted upright, covered in sweat and eyes wide. He did a quick check around. Everypony was still alive.

[Just a dream. Just a dream. Just a dream.]

He took a deep breath and kicked out of the sleeping bag. Not having bothered to unpack the previous evening, he was already ready to go. He walked over to the table, hoping nopony noticed his catapult wakeup.

Thanks, Anchors. Smells good.

Snowy groggily opened his eyes, not remotely surprised that he wasn't in his own room. He'd forgotten just how awful sleeping in a new bed was. Shaking his head, he slid out of his sleeping bag and stepping very close to the neck of the kettle, the source of the hissing high note. It had a nice resonance to it, if you listened closely. It also smelled quite nice. More properly awake now, he padded towards a plate of carrots and munched them down. They were quite nice, and reminded him that he hadn't had carrots in ages. He really needed to eat something besides poutine and stuffed peppers, nutrient requirements be damned. His carrots quickly dispatched, he idly ! wonders just how normal of an awakening Night Cap just had, while pulling his lyre out and tuning it carefully. He adjusts a string and looks up at Anchors. "Are you normally such an early riser?" He asks, twanging the same chord a second time.

Spoiler

"If I go to sleep early, yeah. Especially if I'm on land."

As the scent of sauteed carrots entered her nostrils, the first part of Misty to respond was her wings, suddenly shooting out to their full wingspan. They carry her still-not-fully-awake body over to the table, where she settled down in an unoccupied chair. Her head nodded for a few moments before seemingly reaching full alertness. "Wow! Breakfast! Thanks, Anchors!"

Static gives a concerned look to Anchors. "I didn't consider...is it terribly difficult for you staying for a prolonged time on land?"

"It depends. Think of it like a frog. I need to be in wet areas for a while but don't need to be underwater all the time. Caballuston is great for this with the canal system. And really, I can be on land a while as long as I keep hydrated and don't over exert myself. I didn't drink enough water before getting on the air ferry. Besides, I prefer cooking on land."

I'm sorry for pressuring you into dancing. I didn't realise it would be so debilitating.

Anchors Away shrugged, "Nothing wrong with getting tired for a good reason."

"If you're ever in a pinch and need a bit of hydrating, I can help?" Misty offers.

Maple just stood up from where she was. The smell of the breakfast Miss Away had made ..reminded her that her full bowl of stew still sat where she left it. Sighing heavily Maple moved past Miss Rhapsody and Miss Spark as best she could. Even in a sleeping bag, long legs need a lot of room -she mused as she finally gave up and buzzed up into the air and skimmed over the two landing safely on the other side.

"Good Morning!" Maple whisper yelled as she came over to where the others were gathered.

Anchors Away seemed enthused, "I forgot about that, thanks Misty. Used to just handling it myself and carrying some canteens but I guess there's no point of being too embarrassed to ask a pegasus. Luckily, this won't be a problem in the swamp."

"Morning, MJ. Sleep well?"

"Alright, it's all good!" Misty replies to Anchors.

She turns to Maplejack. "Good morning to you too!" she says cheerfully.

Maple gave Misty a "wing thumbs up" ... Having a few good Pegasus around would really help Miss Away if she got to dry... Which made putting Miss Rhapsody in her mini-team make even more sense.

"I slept fine Mr. Signal, thank you for asking. I've conditioned myself to be able to sleep just about anywhere, I've spent a lot of time on my own out under the starts. I hope you slept well also."

"I...slept through the night."

"I slept like a rock!"

"Ohh did you beat up the baddies and save ponies?" Maple asked her eyes going wide with enthusiasm

"For anypony who wants any, I have some lemon ginger tea. There isn't any coffee though."

"Tea would be lovely! Thank you Miss Away."

No...coffee? Just tell me there's no oxygen breath! How does one survive with no coffee? Better to just kill me now than to force me to live under such circumstances!

"Sure! Sounds delightful, thank you!"

"They don't grow it here and I didn't bring any since I can't drink it. I guess nopony here has asthma, since I've seen emergency packs put in med kit for those purposes but there weren't any of those in our supplies."

"I think my trip to the break room gave me all the coffee I'll ever need."

Static tastes the tea. Not coffee. Definitely not coffee. It wasn't even the normal black tea he'd seen before. He could only hope there was at least some measure of caffeine in it.

This was going to be a long mission. No coffee...coffee...coffee.

"It's interesting. Haven't had tea quite like it before."

I will have coffee again. By Luna, I will have coffee again. And next mission, I will see to it personally that I never go without coffee again!

Anchors Away poured tea for the others, "It doesn't have the kick coffee does but it should clear your head. Also, remember the taste."

Light Fantastic stretched as she woke up. She slowly made her way to where the rest of the group was.

"Good morning, everypony," she said, somewhat blearily, "Why don't I smell any coffee?"

Static will indeed remember the taste. The utter betrayal of it not being coffee alone has forever etched this foul concoction's taste into Static's psyche for all time.

"It's so delicious. How could I help but remember?"

Rhapsody wakes up, thanks to that annoying whistling. She had felt mostly better after a decent nights sleep. Though she still seems groggy and slow to respond. At least until she hears the 'no coffee' part and face hoofs, so much for being in a better mood... "No coffee?" She grumbles. "Didn't we go over this on the last expedition?" She huffs and shakes her head. "How's a pony supposed to function properly without a decent amount of coffee to ensure maximum wakefulness?"

While ever wanting to defend Anchors from any perceived attack...any bit of rudeness...lack of coffee left Static without a decent retort to Rhapsody's words. He simply continued to greedily suck on the only source of caffeine, poor though it was.

Anchors Away blinked. "I've been on tons expeditions with ponies who didn't drink coffee. I guess you'll have to ask the Chief Director about it. Or the accoun...no, just the Chief Director. That or pack your own. Usually a pony brings their own on an expedition."

Wish I'd known that before! Static continues to drink the tea. He was probably going to have to use the facilities before too long. "I've never had to deal with accounting before, aside from a personal inquiry about Manehatten's inability to pay their employee's. But everything I've heard from everypony else seems to tell me they're all a bunch of coffee nazi's!"

He went back to drink the tea...even though the cup was long since empty. He looked down at his empty cup. "Buck!"

Anchors Away chuckled, "It's not coffee specifically. They just don't like to spend money unless they think it's needed. But if you can get through to them on this, good on you."

Static could think of a few ways to 'get through to them'. Though his anger management coach might have a few reservations about those methods. [Redirect] Empty tea cup. [Replace] Next couple days side by side with Anchors...much better! Still want my bucking coffee!

"I gave everypony a ration of candies ... it might help give you some energy." Maple tried to help, but all these old ponies really seem to like coffee.

Anchors Away arched an eyebrow at Night Cap, "I'd say the same to you. The Chief Accountant is one of the few with the permission and ability to tell Brisk Iron 'no'."

Static arches an eyebrow. "Tell Brisk Iron...the pony who just a day ago stood up to a royal guard and won...'no'?" Static coughed a bit. "Okay...so...don't buck with accounting."

Anchors Away briefly looked confused, "Why in Equestria would she stand up to...oh. I guess she had to put up with Major Delight again. Well, let's not worry about him. We need to head out soon so let's not get worked up."

"Miss Naught is a very nice lady." Maple added.

"We were told that our packs with the provisions we needed. It seems like that should include coffee... even if its that swill they gave us last time." Rhapsody scoffs and shakes her head. "I swear, coffee is like the main thing that holds this team together..." She huffs and shakes her head, reluctantly taking a cup of this false god named 'tea'.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Wow! That seemed unnecessarily mean.

But then again, maybe he's just saying that because Anchors was his girlfriend? Anyone else...a lack of caffeine would make it completely necessary.

In any case...still no compelling argument to level against what Rhapsody was saying.

"Soooo.... what do we know about this swamp we're heading to...?" Maple asked, attempting to move the conversation in a productive direction. Time was wasting and these grown ponies whining about a luxury item were the ones wasting it.

There was a knock on the town hall door and a bright blue pegasus stallion with an even brighter green mane stuck his head in, "I know I'm a little early but just letting you know I'm ready vhen you are. Big sis said you might need help getting down to the svamp and I vas heading that vay anyvay."

"I just need to grab my pack." Maple was completely ready to go, and this moaning was doing her in, but she still wanted to hear anything Miss Away had to say.

Static picked up his saddlebags and equipment and was ready to go.

Snowy resists the urge to roll his eyes at the coffee discussion. At the very least, you'd think the quantity of adrenaline needed to wake somebody up via muscle spasms would be enough to exempt Static from a caffeine dependence. Taking the dis-interesting turn of conversation as an opportunity to finish tuning his lyre, he deposits it back in its case and snaps it shut, shouldering his saddlebags and resting the case atop them before looping a strap over and securing it with his teeth. "We're nearly there." He comments to Veldfire's brother. "What's your name?"

He sighed, "The name's 'Inferno Blue'."

Misty takes her breakfast plate and tilts it over her open mouth, letting all the carrots fall in. She chews them all at once, cheeks bulging, and sets the plate back on the table. Finally, she swallows her meal in one might gulp. "I'll be ready in just a moment!" she announces, before moving to collect her saddlebags.

He sighed, "The pegasi vill carry the others down, unless some of you plan to climb." "Any sudden cliffs or trees?""Nah, the mountain is pretty smooth." "I'll just roll down."

Static cringes. "More flying?" he asks with a pathetic whimper. He considers his options. Climbing wouldn't leave him any less high up. At least with the pegasi, the trip would be over faster. With a heavy sigh, he opts for the pegasi.

Maple looks around nervously...

"Down shouldn't be a problem... how fast we go down might be."

Maple looked at all the ponies heading out...

I guess none of my bosses like my questions...

getting her bags, Maple carefully slid her carrots into a pouch for later and stood ready to go.

Rhapsody finishes her tea and breakfast, and looks to the group. "Down is easy, Much easier then up or staying aloft Maple." She says looking to the smallest pegasus. "Just keep your wings stable and you should be able to just glide down in a controlled decent."

Maple smiled, as a genuine surprise came so early in the morning.

"Thank you Miss Rhapsody." Maple's tiny body filled with confidence. She also wondered if skipping coffee might not be something she needs to suggest becoming a regular thing.

"That would mean having to fly back up for another trip down with a Pony." Easy come, easy go confidence.

"Oh like the other day!.... what about you Mr. Skies?"

"It's a bit of a strain, but I can lift troublesome foals at the museum until about age - " Amber shook her head - "about two or three stone," she finished, adjusting her glasses with a pained squint, clearly not adjusting well to the entirely unexpected arrival of morning. "Any more than that, I can't levitate for more than a few minutes."

"would it be easier on you Miss Spark if a pegasus could get you and the earth pony down faster?"

Maple wondered aloud

Amber rolled her head to one side and drew out her notebook. "In a few minutes ... Rhapsody could carry me down while I lower, perhaps, Mr. Signal and our respective gear. But, ah," Amber looked at Mr. Skies, then back to the tiny Maplejack. "We may not have quite enough of wing and horn to go around, Ms. Jack," she said. Amber found herself smiling all the same - Ms. Jack's enthusiasm was quite commendable.

Static sighed. "If it'll help lighten the burden, I'll climb." What the heck. It was going to be a harrowing experience either way.

He sighed, "The name's 'Inferno Blue'."

Snowy does his best to match the stallion's facial expression. "Colors, am I right?"

Everything else

Snowy looks thoroughly displeased at the discussion of magical transport, but at least this time his face doesn't look like gathering storm clouds. He turns to Anchors. "Did you say roll?"

For a split fraction of a second, Static considered rolling down might actually be fun...if not for all the very expensive equipment he was carrying on his back. It was either climbing or pegasus.

He just wished this had been planned out before. They were going to start losing daylight.

Maple looked at her watch... "Well lets at least continue the discussion on the way to the edge instead of standing here and then having to get there before we do anything."

Inferno Blue replied to Snowy Skies, "Nah, it's just that...I'm scared of fire so it's not great to have a type of it for my name." "Since you're helping us, Maplejack had a question. What do you know about the swamp?""Vell, svamp peppers grow in it. It's spooky so if I hear something, I run. And that's it." Anchors Away looked at Maplejack and shrugged. "Come on everypony, we'll figure this out. We do have climbing gear and well...I guess I'm just used to seeing teams make the climb on! their own. One of the few times I teamed with Steel Flint, she scaled a ruin with little problem. Carried me with her magic, in fact."As the STOMP team reached the cliff edge, a few pegasi were waiting for them. "We heard about little Maple's plight and wanted to at least help you get to the base of the mountain. We'll carry any of you...except him." The mare pointed at Night Cap. "Don't vorry, I'll carry him."

"Oh my gosh! Thank you!" Maple made sure every pony got a hug.

"Oh, I can carry someone too," Misty offers in earnest. "Anyone want me to give them a lift?"

Rhapsody glances over to Night Cap. "Well, you certainly are Mr. Popular here." She comments with a huff before looking to Amber. "I'll carry you if you want, love." She smiles to the beige Unicorn next to her.

"Well, we can't all be Steel Flint now, can we?" Snowy says, just a hint of a growl to his voice. He looks up at the sky for a few breaths, before asking in a more pleasant tone, "Misty, can you carry me?"

What to do? Static wanted to climb down if only to impress Anchors. But they were so...high...up! He really just wanted to take the quickest path down. Besides, the quickest path down meant the sooner they could get started. But he reeeeeally wanted to impress Anchors!

He actually looked over the cliff and saw how far up they were. So...far...down! He inched backwards. "I think I'll..." Impress Anchors? Quick way down? "I'll..." Impress Anchors? "I'll try climbing."

Light Fantastic stretched her legs.

"I think I can manage climbing," she said.

With all these nice ponies around Maple's grin was threatening to engulf the rest of her head... and that was a job usually given to her mane...

"I'm willing to try flying down if some pony could just keep a hoof and wing ready... just in case."

Top Bottom