[IC] Equestrian Radio Show's Adventure Variety Hour: Explorers of STOMP

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Deep in thought, Misty Monsoon eventually found herself at the southernmost part of the city. She was given sheet detailing a rolling fog that would shift to a light drizzle. The clouds were to be sent southward and it was being done in the morning in the hopes it would rain itself out by the afternoon.

Spoiler

Snowy contemplates the idea of a pegasi that dislikes her own wings. The concept is oddly...familiar.

At Maple's question, he lets out a cough of mild surprise, which melds into a short, bitter, laugh. "Goddesses, no. All I can do is make you forget that it hurts. Which usually hurts more than it helps, paradoxically."

Maple turned back to Snowy. "Oh that could be very helpful if you teamed up with another Unicorn who could heal ponies... you could keep a pony's mind occupied while the other pony fixes them up. I for sure wouldn't want to be focused on watching ...say a broken leg snap back together." Maple smiled up at Snowy.

Static winced a bit, looking back over to Night Cap. "Oh pony feathers! I'm so sorry, Night Cap. I just got so excited that I completely...I'm sorry. You okay?"

"Sounds good to me," said Light Fantastic.

She fell in line with Silky.

Snowy blinks, looking even more confused and conflicted, before hearing Static and Night Cap's exchange. "Rough night?" He say to Night Cap expectantly.

"Rhapsody," Static muttered. "I probably didn't help things just now...but...Rhapsody."

Snowy raises an eyebrow at Static while saying "You should get bruised more often, I guess. Now what did you two need?"

"Need? Oh right!" Static was so worried about Night Cap, he'd forgotten for a moment why he was here in the first place.

"Night Cap and I are making a documentary about Luna. We're in the research phase right now. I seem to remember there being an exhibit about the princesses. I was wondering if maybe Maple could help us out: maybe if she knew any of Luna's history or if she could just point us towards the exhibit?"

Maple rolled her eyes and and pointyed off toward the exhibit with a wing and a foreleg.

"All four of them are lined up just over there where the big skeleton use to be... apparently it fell down not very long ago. Something had to get thrown together last minute, I guess so they dragged those over."

Snowy wines at the mention of the thaumiceratops. "A documentary about Luna?" He turns to Night Cap. "Have you ever met her? I don't really know how that works."

"Is she a Paleoarcheoastronomer as well?" Maple asked.

Static faces Maple first. "They way you roll your eyes...I guess you must get asked about that exhibit all the time. An exhibit dedicated to the princesses must get a lot of attention."

He turns to Snowy next. "Yeah. Having sat through so many 'historical' documentaries about Luna...Night Mare Moon more specifically...I found it amazing how much we've gotten wrong. Just once I'd like to see a documentary that gets it right. So...I'm hoping we're up to the task. But that also means we're going to have to be really studious with our research, separating the truth from the...I'm rambling...again...sorry.

"I just want to make sure we finally give Luna the recognition she deserves."

"Not really, this is the first time. Today is only my second day on the job, and the second day the exhibit has been on the floor." Maple Shrugged.

Static did not seem to appreciate who he was working with. "Do you think you could ask her for an interview?" He asks Night Cap. "Primary sources and all that."

"Oh...I see..." Static said, thinking then that the eye-roll must've been directed at him and his stupidity for not immediately seeing the display. "I'm...sorry. I'll get out of your way."

He was about to walk on over to the display when Snowy's comment stopped him in his tracks.

"An interview? Like...an actual interview...with the Princess Luna?"
He stares at Night Cap, jaw on the floor. "Is that even possible?"

Seeing Static start to leave Maple reaches for one of the pamphlets on her post.

"Here Mr. Signal, this will tell you all about the displays involving the Princesses. I haven't had to see them all yet, since the tours offer a rotating show of exhibits... There is a map on the last page, It might not be as much help as Mr. Night Cap could provide... but it will at least give you up to date information on what we think we know." Maple sighed, "I'm sorry I can't be more helpful, the Princesses just don't really interest me at all."

"Oh, you're being to hard on yourself Mr. Night Cap. I'm sure they would love to help improve the Princess' image." Maple wanted to go hug the sad stallion, but it wouldn't be appropriate during work hours.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Spoiler

Misty joined up with her work group, who had already begun working on creating the fog. Drawing the moisture from the atmosphere, they condensed it until it was nice and thick, obscuring the city streets below. Looking down, she could vaguely make out the shapes of ponies going about their morning business.

Next task was summoning a breeze that would gently nudge the fog along, out over the bay, where it would dissipate with a light drizzle, releasing the condensed water droplets back into the ocean.

As she did her best to call up the wind, Misty couldn't wait until the job was done and her team could take a break. She was so excited to tell them all about what she'd been up to the night before!

After a half hour of work, the weather team came to a stopping point with the fog. The week had been quite productive and there weren't any outstanding weather orders waiting to be filled. Several members of the weather team casually relaxed on the few errant clouds hovering around that part of town.

Upon arriving at the police station, Silky Double-Time and Light Fantastic were acknowledged by a unicorn receptionist,
"How may I help you?"

Static sighed! "Oh well! I guess we'll have to use regular channels then. Thanks for the pamphlet, Maple!"

Static takes a step toward the exhibit when something dawns on him.

"I haven't had to see them all yet,"

Maple put a lot of emphasis on that. It made him wonder. He turned around to regard Maple. "Do you...?" He shook his head and started back towards the exhibit. "Never mind. None of my business."

And it really wasn't. Maple's political views were her own. In fact, it's not like Static much cared one way or the other a couple days ago either...and his interest in Luna was hardly political. Better to let it go.

Not wanting to drag Night Cap along anymore in his injured state, Static walked over to the exhibit and let Night Cap follow at his own pace.

"My friend and I have some pictures that might be of some interest," said Light Fantastic.

The receptionist looked over the photos with little reaction. A nearby officer looked over her shoulder, yelped in shock, then cowered on the floor. "I'll take that as a cue to contact the detective in charge of this case." The receptionist closed her eyes and made a subtle wave of her horn, then opened her eyes once more. "He'll be with you in just one..." "So the famous Light Fantastic stumbles upon more info for our case. How did you come across these?" The stallion walked up with a very serious, though not harsh, expression as he looked over the photos.

Static looked over the exhibit and the pamphlet for any insights they might give about Luna.

Spoiler

Snowy looks a little nonplussed as everyone separates. He was never very good at endings. "I will go ask around about some wood." He tells Maple, adding "Actually, another concern might be professional appearance. A few basic rectangles of wood would support it, but it wouldn't look like part of the museum anymore. What do you think?"

"Well Mr. Skies, I'm not a very knowledgeable pony when it comes to those sorts of things. I'm sure though if left in your hooves, whatever you think is best will be extraordinary." Maple smiled as big as she could, and then remembered something else.

"I'm staying at Saccharine Sweet's Sugar Shack right now since I'm new to the area, and she's letting me try her new candy batches as she makes them..but um, a few of us went to a pancake breakfast this morning thanks to coupons from the marketing department.. and I gave one to everyone that was there. Would you like to try one?"
Maple opened, her saddle bag and reached in for one with her wingtip.

Night Cap and Static Signal carefully searched for possible ways that the wax sculpture before them might expand their knowledge of Princess Luna. In their expert findings they discovered that Princess Luna had a very pretty set of armor that contrasted her coat quite well. It seemed that the sculptor was quite talented.

Static rubbed his temple with his hooves in frustration. "This is my job. This is what I do! Think, Static...think!"

Static looked over to Night Cap. "Maybe I'm overthinking it. I want so much to make this the best bucking documentary in the whole Luna blessed history of documentaries...maybe I'm making things too complicated. Any thoughts?"

Looking around Snowy, Maple could just barely see her other friends looking closely at the Luna Statue...

~O_O~ Maybe too close.

"No, no night footage. I've only had this equipment for a couple nights. I can tell you right now what I have. I have footage of Black Night in several poses...I think maybe Amber as well, Light Fantastic's ballet, the Anugypt Strut and a documentary about coral!

"If I want night photography...well...it should actually be pretty easy to get. I just have to wait until night. Something tells me we should be at Nightmare Heights by then, away from all the blasted city lights."

Static sighs. "Until then...I dunno. You maybe want to run by Ready Quills office and see what documents the museum may have on file? Maybe after hours after we get back from Nightmare Heights, we can go by the public library and see what they have.

"Speaking with Rhapsody's only going to be a single part of our research, after all."

Static sighed again. "It's just...I don't want to kill time just to kill time. I can't explain it. It's just...from now until this is finished it's going to feel like every second not spent on this is a second that's wasted, you know?"

"We happened to see the carriage as we were going about our business," said Light Fantastic, "We'd never seen it before, so we thought we'd take a few pictures of it."

Snowy regarded the offered candy with a hint of disbelief. "Thank you." He said quietly. "I'll tell you what I think of it when I get back." He took the candy in his magic and strolled back towards the stairwell that would take him to janitor central, the supply closets.

Along the way, he thought. The conversation had been perfectly ordinary. He was, habitually, extremely upbeat and entertained around smiley ponies; It seemed to be rather what they hoped for, and put them in a good mood. But Maple was on a whole different level of smiley from anything he had seen before. She made his old persona look like a tortured, reclusive artist. And her good cheer was downright infectious. He had really enjoyed himself, even in the face of Static's bullheadedness.

Also, her candy was delicious. He hadn't even noticed that he'd put it in his mouth. Mmm. Mmmmmmm.

He had arrived at the janitorial supply closets. There was still no wood present in them. Snowy pursed his lips, then stepped into the closet. Looking up in the dimly lit room, trying very hard not to knock over any errant mops or brooms, he finds the perpetually open ventilation shaft in the ceiling. This was going to sound very odd to anyone standing to close to a ventilation grill anywhere in the museum.

"DUSTY?" His magic produced the sound as far up the shaft as he could see, and as sound was wont to do it filled the space around it. Continuing at a quieter pace (hopefully now Dusty was listening), "Can you come back to the closets? I need your opinion...and your expertise."

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Alone again, Maple pondered what she'd learned. A movie about Princess Luna was in the works and Mr. Skies was a really nice Unicorn.

"Well, until Rhapsody gets back, I'm not sure what else to do.

"Is there something wrong with your eye?"

"The name is Detective Gem Champron. Come with me." He led Light Fantastic and Silky Double-Time to his office. "The mare in these pictures is named Dazzling Midnight and she was involved in a recent break-in at the Equestrian Expedition Keep. While I am glad to have these pictures of her carriage and some of her crew, I urge caution on taking more. She's to be considered dangerous and I'd hate to see a civilian caught up in this."

"Oh, yes," said Light Fantastic, "I remember that. You can rest assured, Officer, that I have no intention of getting myself involved in this."

Umm...long story. To summarize, she was there when COIN broke into the Keep. She allowed me to get some footage of her to help mis-direct the COIN operatives." Static pauses for a beat. "Probably best if that little tid-bit didn't become public knowledge."

Static tilts his head towards Ready Quill's office. "C'mon. Let's see what kind of documents Mr. Quill has. If you need, I won't say anything if you start nodding off while we go through some of it. The research parts of these projects can be rather...tedious...for some. I doubt anypony would say anything."

Though Static doubted he'd be nodding off at all. There was still too much adrenaline, coffee and sugar from all the pancakes to keep him going...to say nothing of this being a dream project that Static planned on losing a log of sleep over the next few days.

Well, I know the two of you didn't exactly hit it off too well. But if not for her...who knows what would've happened to me and Amber?

"If it helps any, you have a job at the keep now. Black Night on the other hoof..."

Static winced. "I...rather not. She got set straight about who's side you're on. She was just...misdirected. Any luck, that little episode should be over.

"But in any case, she did help the Keep that night. I'd hate to repay the favor by outing her. If she tries anything against you again...well...that would be more than a simple case of being misdirected. Then we'll talk. I'd like to give her the benefit of the doubt though."

Static winces. "I...don't know what to say. I owe you. You were there when I had to face Dazzling Midnight. More than that, you've been my friend several times when I've really needed one.

"But I owe her too. If not for her, I probably wouldn't have survived that night."

Static sighed. "Whatever you need to do in regards to Black Night, I suppose I won't get in your way...except to warn you that in the very brief time I've known her, I know she's no fool. Be very careful how you handle her.

"More than that...I owe her too much to actively go after her."

Static sighed. "Night Cap, please try to understand. I owe her. As much as I owe you, I owe her. I'm in a difficult position here. I want to help you in any way I can. But doing something that could expose or harm Black Night...

"I'll help you in any way I can...up to that point. But if it comes down to blows between the two of you...well...I'm going to be in a hell of a position."

"Well, in that light, if you don't intend to harm or expose her, I can help as much as I can. Course, I'm not sure how much help I can be. I'm having a heck of a time just getting a research project about one of the most famous political heads of the country even started. Trying to get you a meeting with a masked vigilante I've only met once before...what's your plan?"

Amber nodded at Ms. Flint's suggestion. "Oh, yes, thank you, ma'am, I'll speak with Ms. Sard right away." She turned to head down the hallway. It was simply perfect timing.

"Luna bless!" Static exclaimed. How could he even begin to answer that? "I'm not certain how much of that night I'm still out of the loop on. I go home after an ordinary, ho hum day. I have a mystery guest...Dazzling Midnight. When I get back to the Keep to warn everypony, the wheels are already in motion.

"Before that night, I'd never actually met Ms. Iron, Amber, Snowy, Mr. Sands, Anchors...you. As crazy as it sounds, a masked vigilante appearing out of nowhere...I just kinda took it in stride with the rest of the insanity that was going on that night."

"Comfortable?" Static laughs is spite of himself. "I was just trying to keep my head above water that night."

"Speaking of your field though...I had a dream last night. I couldn't say if it was just another nightmare or if maybe it was a breakthrough."

Static proceeds to tell Night Cap of the dream he had last night.

http://www.allspark.com/forums/topi...hour-explorers-of-stomp/page-143#entry2931253

Static shrugged. "Dazzling Midnight, Silent Belle...I've been having the same nightmare over and over again since that night. Sometimes I don't even have to be asleep.

"Maybe you could call it controlling my fear. Honestly...I think I just got tired of running."

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
"Is it always so ugly? I mean, are there ever any dreams in this whole dreamwalking thing? Because all I've seen lately have been nightmares. Surely there has to be something better as some point."

Ready Quill walked up and looked at Static Signal and Night Cap, "Forgot-to-put-my-sign-up. Sorry. What-did-you-need?"

Dusty Winds tapped Snowy Skies on the shoulder. "Don't do that. It would be startling to hear that while in there. So...what's up?"

Gem Champron nodded accordingly upon hearing Light Fantastic's response. "Good to hear. We currently don't know just what she's capable of but certainly report to us if spot her. Was there anything else?"

Upon knocking on Savant Sard's door, Amber Spark heard a subtly accented voice announce, "Come in!" The mare had a monocle over one eye and a loupe over the other as she examined a silver horn ring with an embedded gem that was a circle of half red beryl and half prasiolite. "And what do I owe this morning's pleasantries?"
Spoiler

"Noted." Snowy says, turning around. "I'm supposed to be stabilizing Maplejack's new welcome stand, and I need some wood for the job. Where can I get some? Also, do you know any techniques for making wood match metal? I'm currently thinking varnish and some metallic paints. Where can I get some of those, too?"

Static nods towards Night Cap. "What he said. Plus, I didn't want to leave Keep grounds while on the clock. But I figured a trip to the public library might be in order. I just wanted to know what the policy was while researching for a documentary."

"We did see them in one of the restaurants earlier," said Light Fantastic, "Do you remember what they were talking about, Silky?"

Rhapsody was getting annoyed as she could find no way in. She huffs "Fine. You want to play hardball..." She says, apparently talking to the building. She takes a deep breath and focuses on something inside of her. "Chaos... CONTROL!" She says and stamps her hoof. Not really sure what's gonna happen, but desperate times call for desperate measures.

Spoiler

Something magical wafted through the air following the heavy hammer of her harmonized hoof. Through the bustle and calamity of the dock work, there was order in the disorder of sound and life. Every box moved and every puddle splashed had pulse and rhythm all their own. Nothing would escape Rhapsody's watchful eyes and this left her feeling like a song...

Spoiler

Rhapsody blinks suddenly everypony around the building has stopped and have eyes on her. Oh this was good. This was REAL good. She wasn't a totl stranger to her chaos abilities, just prefer not to use them very often, but this was a fun one. She giggles and claps her hooves together as she had an wonderful idea, an awful idea; a wonderfully awful idea... One song immediately came to mind for this situation... and when in Tartarus was she ever gonna get the chance to do something like this again on this scale? She takes to the skies giving the best view possible as she starts to sing, starting slower then she usually would, almost speaking the words.

I put a... spell on you
And now... you're mine
You can't stop the things I do
I ain't lyin'

An old favorite Nightmare Night song of hers, that was perfect for what she has in mind. She normally wouldn't use her abilites on this scale, but you don't pass up a silver platter when its handed so graciously to you. Besides, if she was gonna capture the hearts of minds of the ponies below she might as well do it with style.

Its been three hundred years
right down to the day
now the witch is back
and there's hell to pay...

I put a spell on you
And now... you're... MINE!

She says with a laugh as she gets into the swing of things.

Hello, Port!
My name's Rhapsody
What's yours?

Without waiting for an answer the black Pegasus begins to pick up the tempt and really sing, as she flies about in dance routine to keep all eyes on her. While she was mainly a singer,, she still was graceful and knowledgeable enough to put on a show in air. Nothing overly flashy something a bit slower and be fitting the mood of the song.

I put a spell on you
And now you're gone
Gone gone gone, so long!

My whammy fell on you
And it was strong
So strong, so strong, so strong.

Your boring little lives
Have all been cursed
cause of all the witches working
I'm the worst.

I put a spell on you
And now you're miiiine...

If you'd don't believe,
you better get superstitious
Ask my sisters
"ooh, she's vicious!"

I put a spell on you...
I put a spell on you...
And now... you're mine!

Ah say ento pi alpha mabi upendi
In comma Coriyama

Hey, hey, high high
Say bye-bye
Bye-Bye!

Once the show was over, and she had the attention of the ponies below. She speaks up.

"Alright, everyone still with me? Good. Cause there are some potentially VERY bad ponies in this warehouse below me, Ponies that are building dangerous weapons that could be used against you and your loved ones. They need to be stopped and I need a way inside. Break down the doors, let them them know the people of Calubuston won't stand for it! Though don't endanger yourselves, fall back if you have to but hopefully they won't be expecting to be stormed by everyone working here today!"

Spoiler

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
At first it seemed like the crowd was regarding the call to break down the doors as a line in a rock concert. Then several snapped to and grabbed hammers as they busted the padlock. Bursting through the loading bay doors, the mob of ponies rushed in, only to stop in surprise. A large trapdoor in the floor opened to a pool of water. The smell of the ocean meant this presumably led out to the canal somewhere or the ocean itself. A few folders full of paper were scattered about along with a few business cards and several tools.

Rhapsody blinks hearing the large collective splash as a mob of ponies fall to the canal below. "Well, I certainly wasn't expecting that..." She muses, and supposes that might be the side effect of an impromptu concert above an enemy hideout... She flies in over the trap door and looks around. "Pegasai and unicorns, help those that have fallen in the water. I'm gonna see if I can't find out more about what they were doing here, and maybe where they went. " She says as she finds the folders, cards, and tools. She inspects on of the cards first, before putting papers into her saddlebag. "Any pony not helping with the rescue, see if there's any signs of a where a group might have fled to." She wasn't sure just how long her influence would last, but she was gonna try to make the most of it in the mean time.

The crowd set about retrieving the ponies in the water but most seemed quite good at swimming to safety on their own. Others spread out for a quick area search. Upon not finding anything in the nearby canal or warehouses, the ponies slowly started going back to work. Rhapsody noticed that the business cards only had a single thing on them--an image of a tulip with stars circling as if it was dizzy.

Ready Quill laughed,
"I-was-about-to-tell-you-go-to-the-Document-Department-but-I-remembered-that's-us. Lack-of-coffee-getting-to-me. I'll-need-to-look-through-the-filing-system-to-see-just-what-is-where. You-willing-to-wait?"

Dusty Winds thought for a moment.
"I wouldn't suggest trying to paint metal. Rather, just try to find something that properly matches the wood. Actually, we might have a similar stand in Storage C. I remember some stuff that got ordered a while back but not used."

"Yes, one of the stallions pulling the carriage mentioned something about making deliveries for an inventor and I believe a marine biologist." Gem Champron placed the photos in a folder. "You ladies have been very helpful. Hopefully we'll be ahead of the curve if they show up again."

Rhapsody thanks the the mob for their help. She places some of the business cards in her saddlebags and looks at the scattered tools to see if there was anything special about them before returning home to get ready for work.

Static nodded. "I think I need to wait...calm down a tad. Too much coffee...and sugar...and...yeah, I can wait."

Dusty Winds thought for a moment. "I wouldn't suggest trying to paint metal. Rather, just try to find something that properly matches the wood. Actually, we might have a similar stand in Storage C. I remember some stuff that got ordered a while back but not used."

"The stand is metal, not wood." Snowy notes. "I wouldn't be painting metal to match wood, I'd be painting wood to match metal. But in any case, Storage C is the deep storage, right? What do we have in there?"

Static takes a deep breath as he turns to Night Cap. "Hey, Night? I know I just kinda went off the deep end there. I just got really...really excited there.

"I'm sorry I just railroaded you there. I've...calmed down a bit. This is as much your project as it is mine."
Static opens the notebook. "If you have ideas, it looks like we have some brainstorming time while Mr. Quill gets those documents."

"And what do I owe this morning's pleasantries?".

Amber nodded at Ms. Sard's question as Amber stepped inside the office. "Something of a puzzle, Ms. Sard. Ms. Flint has assigned me an unmarked crate - nopony has any idea where it may have been excavated. But perhaps luclily, the artifacts were encrusted in stone that appears to be from the dig site." Amber glanced around the room at first as she spoke, then seemed to become more focused. "Do you think you might be able to assist me?"

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Maple popped another candy into her mouth, and wondered what kinds of neat things Mr. Skies could do for her little wooden stand.

Savant Sard smiled, "Always wonderful to have too much work, rather than not enough. Let me put my loupe away. 'A scientists's best friend'." She lowered her head so that the loupe rolled down her snout, then making an upward nod so that smoothly bounced up and landed behind her ear. "Lead the way."

As Maplejack waited for Snowy Skies to return, Bold Standard walked by and examined the signage. "Morning! It seems you're ready for whatever offer the day presents."

Ready Quill arched an eyebrow, "You-can't-really-expect-me-to-get-in-an-argument-with-Accounting-do-you?"

"Oh, Miss. Standard -hello, and yes I very much am... THANK YOU very much for the suggestion of the pancake breakfast, a bunch of us went and it was wonderful." Maple's wings rubbed her belly as she came out from between her posts to talk to very nice lady.

Static shuddered as the thought of arguing with accounting. "Hehe...looks like he has a few things to learn. Sorry about that, Mr. Quill." Static turns to Night Cap. "Yeah, one of the first things to learn around here...don't...buck...with accounting." He looks around himself to make sure no one from accounting was anywhere near by and proceeds in a hushed tone. "They have no sense of humor."

"You're welcome, officer," said Light Fantastic. "Have a nice day, and good luck with this case."

Finding nothing that stood out about the tools, Rhapsody headed home to get ready for work. She made another notes out to Det Champron.

Detective
An Agent of mine and several Dock workers raided the warehouse that belonged to the delivery mark. It was locked up tighter then a vault and Inside was booby trapped according to her, no one was hurt just drenched. No signs of whomever the catapult was to be delivered to. Could have been tipped off by the delivery ponies. Inside was a business card which I am inclosing so that you can see if it matches anything you know of. I have another lead to follow up on, and will likely be gone for the next few days. I'll check in with you after I get back, maybe we'll have learned something useful to each other in the meantime.
Rhapsody places one of the business card with note and seals the envelope for Tyberious to deliver when he has the time, placing it in his roost where he'll notice but would be hard for anypony to find if they were to somehow get in while she's away. She doesn't mention the folders of paperwork she found, needing time to go through them, and can present them later if they are relevant after the expedition. After that was dealt with, she grabs a cup off coffee, and finished getting ready for work, before dashing out the door. With luck she'll get there in only a few minutes.

After leaving the police station, Silky Double-Time asked, "So, will do you do from here? Get ready for your trip?"

Dusty Winds chuckled, "I wouldn't call Storage C our deep storage but yeah, west of the building."

Bold Standard suddenly seemed very excited. "Wonderful! Did you find your server charming?"

Ready Quill snorted in derision, "I-said-that-to-them-and-they-said-the-coffee-in-the-break-room-would-be-enough-unless-it-comes-from-our-own-pocket. Most-of-them-don't-even-drink-coffee. And-something's-up-with-the-break-room-allotment."

Following Amber Spark's lead, Savant Sard followed until they were in the lab with the mysterious puzzle pieces. Swiftly going to work, Savant Sard examined the volcanic rubble until the oddest smile crept across her face. "I've come to the conclusion...that I have no clue what this vein of extra material is. This could be a most remarkable breakthrough! I'll certainly be looking into it even more after I get farther along on my other projects. It's like I come back from vacation to find gifts of science awaiting."

Spoiler

Static suddenly remembers left over coffee he brought with him from home. He brings out his thermos. Meh...it's several hours cold. I tried a less bottom-shelfy brand than what I used to make. Pretty good, but like I said, several hours cold. I'm certainly awake enough, I don't need it. Takers?"

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Now that was a rare spot of luck. Snowy had expected to grudgingly pick up some wood-working skills by the end of the day. However, there was still the question of how he was supposed to move it anywhere, let alone downstairs. He pokes his head out into the hallway, looking for anyone nearby who he might be able to enlist as help...

Spoiler

"Thanks! Night Cap's report was more curiosity. I can read that at my leisure." Static starts thumbing through the files. "I really want..." keeps thumbing through the files..."to get started on..." more thumbing..."sweet merciful Luna!"

Static gives a wide eyed incredulous look to Night Cap. "Is this a mission report or an unabridged autobiography?"

Rhapsody huffs as Amber didn't answer. She guess she'll have to catch her later, probably on the expedition. Rhapsody heads back through the museum to go to the Observatory to start her normal work day.

Light Fantastic grinned.

"No worries there," she said.

"The title?" Static asked, checking the first page. "Good grief! How long did this take you to write?"

"I'm sorry Miss Standard.... I don't think I remember. We were all so very excited and this nice Unicorn from .... I didn't actually have much interaction with the staff." Maple frowned. A polite Mr. Skies had returned and had been waiting to speak to maple... maple frowned even more at the idea of 'replacing' her stand.

"if you think that is the best idea Mr. Skies."

Static's jaw still remained dropped, barely able to blink. His mind was blown.

In a rush to get coffee...so...he wrote all this in less than a day? Maybe less than an hour or so?

"So...yeah...I'll try and get to this later. Mean time, maybe we should get a start on getting through all the Luna stuff. I anticipate a lot of reading...a lot of note taking. That's all before we even think about actual filming. So...we should probably get started."

Static nods to Ready Quill. "Thanks for all this." Static sighed deeply and looked at his thermos of cold coffee. "I'm thinking cold coffee is better than no coffee. C'mon, Night. Let's find a place to read and take notes."

Static puts the box of documents on his back and leads Night Cap to the Documentary Planning area. He sets the box down and grabs one of the documents.

"Whelp! Let's get reading!"

Static bit back his response. He was about to say that the title also shouldn't be the complete story, but he was trying to be nice. Though he was sorry now that he asked to see Night Cap's report about the Wand of the North Wind.

"C'est la vie," he said instead. "Personally, I'm just a bit disappointed how many of these are saying the same things. Maybe a few new quirks about Night Mare Moon that now seem absurd. Nothing really profound yet."

He scratched out some notes as he goes on to the next document.

Arriving in the observatory Rhapsody sets aside her saddlebags and gets about her normal work day, there not being a whole lot for her to do at the moment, since with the expedition later it was going to be a shorter workday anyway.

After giving a delightfully spirited account of her adventures in training and pancake eating to her coworkers, Misty makes an early departure from work and heads back to the Keep. Wanting to get back early so she can be ready to perform her navigational duties, she realizes she has no idea what sort of vehicle the team would be taking to get to the expedition.

Arriving back at the Keep, she decides that the best course of action is to ask the Chief Director about it! ...if she's not busy, or in an important meeting, or anything like that.

She wanders through the halls for a bit until she finds the Chief Director's office. She stops, listening for any sound coming from inside the office before knocking lightly with her hoof.

Static's ears prick up as he reads.

"Hey, Night! Check this! Here's some documents that speak of some of Luna's diplomatic meetings. Seems she was a little rascal as a new princess.

"She ventured into a forbidden zone of Everfree and was the first to meet an isolationistic herd of zebras...the first contact with Zebras in recorded history.

"It also says here that she and Celestia once had to deal with a Princess Platinum who derided them for not having their cutie marks.

"Yeah, how 'bout that!? It seems for natural born alicorns, it's normal to get their cutie marks later in life than other ponies. It was long into their reign when Star Swirl and the other unicorns grew too weak to take care of the sun and moon that Luna and Celestia finally had their chance.

"I'm not sure how this would fit into our documentary...but...dang! This is definitely new!"

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Maple stood between her two friends not sure what to do. She didn't want to be rude to Miss Standard, she seemed a little down after Maple answered her last question and had gone quiet... and she didn't want to not help Mr. Skies ..especially if it was something he was doing to help her.

"Miss Standard, my tour group doesn't seem to be arriving just yet -and Mr. Skies has been really working hard to help fix up my sign and posts for me... if you wouldn't mind coming with us for a few minutes while I go help him with this, I would very much like to make you feel better... I'm sure if you give me some hints, it might spark my memory - I'm usually much better at remembering things."

Maple started trotting in place she was so desperately not wanting to upset either friend.

Snowy contemplates Maple for a moment before eying Bold Standard in an interrogative fashion, making it clear the ball was in her court and obfuscating the fact that he found Maple's little dance kind of funny.

Static takes a look at the document about the Night Guard. "Ever wonder what they must've thought when Luna became Nightmare Moon? On the one hoof, they were sworn to her. But I'm sure they were also sworn to protect Equestria as a whole. What it must've been like when they had to choose sides."

Static grabbed hold of Night Cap as he came upon another document. "Hey, Night! Remember that short film we found yesterday? There were some journeys with a navagator named 'Nightshine' and a leader named 'Black Night'? Look!"

"It's not much. It doesn't even really tell us much more than what we already gathered from the film yesterday. But it confirms the names!

Static thinks about the vigilante that helped during the COIN invasion of the Keep. "I wish we could get in contact with today's Black Night. She must know something about the historical Black Night. Why else would she choose the name?"

Bold Standard's coat went dull. "No, there's more marketing to do. I'm sure you'll be fine." She then walked off.

From within her office, Brisk Iron replied to the knock with,
"You may enter."

Misty gingerly pushes the door open and enters the room. "Ummm... Chief Director? I have a small question about the expedition today. How will we be traveling to the expedition site?"

"Well, that was odd." Snowy comments as Bold Standard walks away. He nudges his head in the direction of the storage room, and turns the nudge into a proper turn, trotting down the hall of exhibits.

"While there will be a meeting before you leave out, the group will be travelling by air ferry. If you've never been in one, it's a sort of covered carriage that's pulled by pegasi. It's already paid for."

oh no.." Maple mumbled, seeing Miss Standard walk away so sadly. "I will be right back Mr. Skies." Maple dashed off and caught up with Bold Standard.
"Miss Standard!" Jumping in the air and gliding a little Maple landed a few steps ahead of her.
"I remembered something! If you are looking for an opinion on the Pancake restauont, you need to speak to Mr. Night Cap - He seemed to be extremely happy with the meal." Hopefully that would be helpful. Maple smiled as big as ever and gave Miss Standard a quick hug before running back to Snowy.

Upon Maple's arrival at Storage C, Snowy held the large door open and pointed at the old stand that he'd spent a night next to. "I have a good head for size, and it looks to me like your sign would fit in there perfectly."

"Ohhhh..." Misty thinks for a moment. "Well... um... if that's the case then..." She fidgets nervously with her wings. "Is there anything I should be doing before we leave?"

"Oh that would be very nice... thank you for finding this for me Mr. Skies."

Static hold up the picture next to Night Cap, looking from one to the other. "It's definitely you!"

When she arrived back at her home, Light Fantastic began to pack up her saddlebag.

"Let's see," she murmured to herself, "I know I need my camera, first and foremost."

She levitated her camera over from one of her dressers and gently set it in the bag.

"Some warm clothes just in case."

She tossed in a scarf and a pair of earmuffs.

"And a few snacks won't hurt, either."

After putting in some small packets of nuts and dried fruit, she settled in for a quick rest.

"It wasn't in deep storage, it's not much trouble. Now help me move this thing." After a brief struggle to get it settled across their backs (Snowy had to slouch and Maple had to stand up very straight), they made their way out front, and deposited it next to the old sign with a muted *klang*. "So what in Equestria happened to Bold Standard just now?" Snowy asks as he helps Maple transfer the sign.

"I think she just really enjoys her work, and I wasn't as much help as she had hoped." Maple said.

"Hm." Snowy had been a little curious, but that was an impressively dull answer, and his curiosity waned quickly. "Well, you seem to be all set here. I guess I'm...Watering plants, until we ship out." He says with a hint of distaste. "Oh, right." He smiles. "The candy was absolutely delicious. You should bring some more." He turns and hurries away, already grumbling about how heavy watering cans could be.

Well at least somepony was happy with her... it could have been worse.

*grumble* ... "oooooh not good." Maple's little belly growled at her... Maybe she should have actually ate her pancakes.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Brisk Iron replied to Misty Monsoon, "Just make sure you're ready when the time comes. Also, here's a copy of the map of the location to commit to memory."

After the day's shift, the STOMP team arrived at Brisk Iron's office. After all had been seated, she began with the mission breifing. "The air ferry will be taking you to Nightmare Heights since it's the closest civilized area to the cave site. You will be making the initial asses! sment before any other exploration teams go in. Anything you discover will be fully credited to you. You are to stick together unless it is absolutely required for you to split up. If a situation requires you to split, the teams will be: Anchors Away, Rhapsody, and Snowy Skies with Anchors as group lead. Misty Monsoon, Static Signal, and Maplejack with Misty as group lead. Amber Spark, Night Cap, and Light Fantastic with Amber acting as group lead. Overall expedition lead is Anchors Away. Estimations put this at two and a half days total but may shift based on what you do or don't discover."

"Nightmare Heights is connected to the Caballuston police's Morse code frequency in case of emergencies. With the size of this team, additional first aid will be provided. I may have the utmost respect for Light Fantastic's medical skill but there's no point in overworking a healer. Three kits to be distributed one per team if you split up. This and some of the other gear such as sleeping bags and the Morse code transmitter should be loaded into the air ferry. I believe Light Fantastic has chartered her own for arrival and departure. Any questions?"

Spoiler

Maple did her best to hold her legs and wings down when Director Iron asked if there were any questions. The provisional team splits seemed interesting. Team one was a strong diverse group - With Miss Away, Miss Rhapsody and Mr. Skies... Maple felt confident that if worse came to worse these three could and would succeed on their own. Team two - the team Maple would be in, seemed strangely not so balanced... An Earth pony and a pair of Pegasus..one of whom might as well have been an earth pony. Especially since team three had two Unicorns and Mr. Night Cap -and he might just fly better than Maple does. Maple didn't doubt that her team could also be succ! essful, only that switching her with one of team three's unicorns ...

*Grumble* "Oh rumps...I really should have eaten, I always get sad when I'm hungry." Maple mumbled to herself as she fished through her bags for a candy.

O_O oh, Maple made a mental note to divide up her toffees evenly with the group when they arrived and were sorting out the gear. it would give her more room for things in her own bags, and would be small easy to fit in rations for every pony else.

Static had butterflies in his stomach. He was actually going to be doing some traveling! Of course, the down side of that being...he was going to be flying. Pony feathers! Earth ponies have no business being in the air.

While he knew things would be busy, particularly here at the beginning, he knew he'd have to make a point to find some time to talk with Anchors. It was too important to let this slide.

Snowy had no questions, and surprisingly few complaints, so he kept still, looking serious. His hooves were itching to get to his lute, at this point. He would certainly be playing on the airship.

"Isn't that great, Maplejack? We get to be on the same team! Maybe!" Misty gushes.

Then it hit him. Not only was he going to be flying in a ferry to get there, he's teamed up with two pegasi. Perfect!

Well, as long as he didn't have to do any flying once he got there!

Rhapsody remains quiet, not having any questions about the expedition, for a brief moment she was annoyed that she wasn't a team leader, but then realized that since this is pretty much Anchor's dig, of course she's gonna be the leader of the team she is on. She glances over at Snowy, so he'd be on her team as well.. It kinda makes her curious to see if Anchors has any musical abilities.

"Budget has only been alloted for what you're shipping with. Nightmare Heights is not a particularly wealthy area so they would only have so much to even sell to you."

"I was going to wait until we arrived to bring it up, since I don't do well at these meetings... Maple made a halfhearted smile ... but I have enough candy with me to evenly distribute around the group. Miss Sweet makes them energy dence, yet very light. they also wont take up much room in everypony's pack."

Amber was still distracted thinking of the puzzle in the lab. She'd smiled broadly at Rhapsody when they had entered and taken up a spot in the big office next to her, nudging her with a shoulder and a smile, and Amber was slightly disappointed not to be joining Rhapsody's team, but from Ms. Iron's explanation, it didn't sound as if they would be likely to split up in any case. Still, she'd need to be particularly responsible for Night Cap and Light Fantastic's performance. She nodded and smiled at both of them as Ms. Iron read out the assignments and only had to force the smile in Night Cap's case. Well, at least he had seemed quite reasonable in the l! ast expedition.

With the tiles securely locked away in the lab, Amber had returned to her office and fetched up her essentials in her saddlebag, including a few small, inscribed brass spheres from a meditational water clock orrery of hers. She wasn't sure what to expect, but she wanted to be prepared after Ms. Flint's training. As Ms. Iron explained the need for first aid, Amber developed a mix of feelings - glad that the provisions were being made but worried just what Ms. Iron expected them to encounter in the caves.

By this time, Amber had indeed taken out her notebook and began jotting down notes.

Amber took a moment to look over Ms. Away, trying to be as discreet as possible. Amber knew very little about the mare - she'd called herself a "sea pony," hadn't she, perhaps she was a sailor by day? - and she hardly cast the imposing figure of Ms. Wisp from the last expedition, with her big, watery eyes and odd little voice. But certainly Ms. Away must be quite experienced to be Ms. Iron's choice for leading this team. Amber imagined the mare captaining an expedition ship in uncharted waters, shouting orders, and the image didn't quite seem to settle with the quiet and ladylike Ms. Away, cutie mark aside. Amber didn't want to see a situation where the expedition party were forced to look to Anchors for her expertise but somepony else - very likely Rhapsody - for her leadership.

Amber hadn't met Ms. Monsoon, and hadn't expected to see a new member of the expedition team here. She hoped to learn more about her soon. The tall pegasus did at least seem quite friendly.

After Maple made the offer of her candy, Amber turned to her. "That's very thoughtful of you, Ms. Jack," she said. She turned back to Ms. Iron. "Ms. Iron, you mentioned first aid preparations - what kinds of hazards does the Keep expect for us in the tunnels?"

"Cave ins and falls are always a concern. This is simply erring on the side of having extra provisions."

Light Fantastic was humming to herself, when she heard the comment on food.

"I brought some dried fruit and nuts if we need them," she said.

"Well, if a cavein does happen, I guess we'll be lucky to have Rhapsody along." Static grins at any odd glances. "I've only leafed through Night Cap's report to get a feel how the size of it. But a pegusas splitting a boulder with her bare hooves is the kinda of thing that catches the eye."

Spoiler

Rhapsody smiles to Amber. 'I have something to show you, when we have time.' She whispers softly, since its not pertaining to the mission, but hopes to be able to do so before they have to leave for Nightmare Heights.

Spoiler

"I wouldn't want to count on my doing that again so easily." Rhapsody states, while it was a feat she was proud of and occasionally boasts about, she also tends to be realistic about how it likely was achieved; after all she hadn't set forth to demolish the boulder, just move it. "Various factors added up to my ability to do it once, being trapped in cave in would limit, if not remove, several of those. Such as my ability to gather up enough speed, and what angles I would be able to strike it at. Plus there was always the possibility that the extreme cold and and frozen water in it made it more brittle then it usually would be otherwise." She states listing off a few of the variables. "Its always possible I, or even Amber, could calculate a way for me to still do it; I just don't feel like we should rely on me as a sole option in such an event."

Static shrugged as if it hardly mattered. "Then we have me and my radio equipment to call in an SOS. Failing that, we have two navigators to find us a different path out. That's assuming one of our unicorns couldn't just teleport out and run for help.

That's assuming anything even happens. We look to be as prepared as any other spelunker.

"With a defined transportation pickup, it'll be known if you haven't returned. So a day after at most, though getting through the cave-in itself might have difficulties. And as Static Signal noted, you as a team have numerous ways to handle calamity."

While everyone else was talking Maple smiled and spoke back to Miss Monsoon quietly.

"yes, if we do have to split up -becoming better friends would be a welcome bonus. Also, you'd get to talk to Mr. Signal too."

"With no further questions, it's time for you to depart." Heading out for the Heart Bright & Star Flight Air Ferry Service, the STOMP team was loaded up and set out for their voyage.

What grand adventure awaits our intrepid explorers? Tune in next time folks for more of the Equestrian Radio Show's Adventure Variety Hour!

*static crackle*

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
*static crackle*

Good evening folks! It's time for another exciting Saturday night with the Equestrian Radio Show's Adventure Variety Hour! Brought to you by the rock bottom deals of Barnyard Bargains. This week we once again bring you to the explorative exploits of the Explorers of STOMP. Last time, the STOMP team set off for a brand new exploration with two separate air ferries. The majority of the team traveled in a simple yet comfortable vessel pulled by a small fleet of pegasi. There was an aisle running down the center with benches that could fit two ponies on either side. Anchors Away had her face pressed against the window as she looked outside at the light fog. Separately, Light Fantastic rode in the deluxe class air ferry. The mahogany trimmed interior had a subtle scent of mint and the benches had luxurious silk pillows for her to sit on. The attendant had Saddle Arabian coffee and a small plate of fresh baked cookies awaiting her. In a few hours, the STOMP team would arrive at Nightmare Heights...

With a few hours to spare, Static thought now was as good a time as ever. His heart racing, his legs fighting him at every step, he walked up to where Anchors Away was sitting.

"Umm...Anchors? Do you have a minute to talk? I mean, I'm sure you must have a lot to think about with the expedition and all. But...I guess there's something I really need to talk to you about though."

Pulling her face off of the window, Anchors Away smiled, "Sure. What's on your mind?"

Static takes a deep breath. "I...I...I really don't know what to say. I mean...I know what I need to say...but I'm not sure how to...now would be a good time for one of those mind overriding my mouth moments."

Static takes another deep breath. "It's just...last night was the best night of my life. I know we've only known each other for a couple days, but you're very important to me.

"I guess when I was younger, I had some bad experiences that made me not want to trust anypony. But you broke through that. Even the first night we met when I was being a total spaz, you were still kind to me. I can't count how many times I've had my hoof in my mouth the past couple days, had some really embarrassing situations...and yet you're still there for me.

"I just...I know you'll be leaving soon because of your job. But I just...I just...I just don't want to lose you.

"Everything I've heard says long distance relationships just don't work. I don't want that to happen.

"I don't know what I'm saying, what I'm asking. I just...I...I know it wouldn't be fair to ask you to ask for a transfer to stay in Cabullustan just for me...especially since you've only known me for such a short time.

"I've seriously considered seeing if there's a way I could go with you wherever you go. I don't know what all that would entail...

"I don't know. I just...I don't want last night to be...the last night. And I guess...I'd like to know what you think."

Static held his breath. This could be a reeeeeally awkward silence if Anchors didn't say something. But Static knew it needed to be said.

Snowy finally had a chance to get in some practice. He opened the lyre's case and lifted it out, blinking as he saw a small wooden tray beneath it. He'd forgotten that that was there. He lifted it up and peered at it suspiciously, slowly remembering how it worked. It was, in essence, an extra hand. It fit roughly around the midsection of the lyre, and slid between the strings, never touching any of them. With the push of the right button, different strings would be pressed, increasing the range of octaves the lyre could produce. Dealing with it was one of the reasons he hadn't enjoyed playing the lyre as much; there was a different button for every chord, and it! greatly complicated the actions needed to play the lyre. However, it literally doubled the range of the instrument, so he carefully secured it to the sides of the lyre and searched his head for a simple song to begin with. He had just the piece. It was repetitive, but it required some good focus, and it covered most of the increased range. He held the harp in front of him, gingerly spreading over the clamp, brought his hooves to the strings, and began to play.

"OH WOW MR. NIGHT CAP LOOK HOW HIGH UP WE ARE!" Maple said.

Misty, who had her face pressed to the window, turned around to face Night Cap. "You should come take a look at this! It's not quite the same as flying in the clouds on your own, but it's close?"

"You can have my seat next to the window if you want Mr. Night Cap..."

Rhapsody sits next to amber, her ears perk as she listens to Night Cap and Maple... She knows it would be wrong to tell Night Cap to go out and achieve his dreams... but still she considers it for several moments before realizing that it'd not look good if a teammate died before they even got to the expedition...

Anchors Away sat an thought for a moment, "Well, I'd think a good relationship should be able to survive distances. As long as both are honest. But my travel is based on assignments. I guess this all comes down to the Chief Director. She's in charge of where I go so I guess I'll have to see about getting permanently assigned to this team. That also means this expedition needs to go well."

Misty is at a loss for a response. Night Cap seemed so downcast about not being able to fly among the clouds. She feels like doing something to cheer him up.

"I'm sorry if I made you sad Night Cap! Don't feel bad!" she says as she comes up and gives him a hug. A really BIG hug. Perhaps a bit TOO big.

After an uncomfortably long moment, Misty lets go. She gives Night Cap a big smile. "That's the spirit!"

"If I ever get good at it Mr. Night Cap, maybe Miss Monsoon and I can fly with you between us." Maple shrugged and put a candy in her mouth.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Amber found flying surprisingly pleasant - looking out the window and wondering if this was what it must be like for Rhapsody all the time, though she didn't say anything. She did nudge Rhapsody and point now and then as the ferry passed over something that looked a bit different than Amber expected from above, but tried to quell her enthusiasm at something that must seem terribly mundane to a pegasus.

It was very difficult for Amber to pretend that she hadn't heard Static's latest - well, really, there must be a term for that, to speak for a minute or two apropos of nothing about one's deepest concerns and feelings with no regard for who might be listening or what it could have to do with anypony. Like a diary, but performed in monologue, a sort of live journal. Realizing that this hadn't been a peculiar incident for him in the meeting, but simply a habit of his, Amber nonetheless found herself blinking at him, perplexed, as he divested himself of his emotional burdens. But she couldn't help noting Anchors' careful, efficient response, either. A good sign, to be sure.

"We haven't had much chance to talk since the first briefing," Amber said to Rhapsody. "What are you thinking about this expedition?"

"I usually walk or take trains, this is actually my first time in one of these... Maple squinted her eyes and leaned toward Misty and whispered ... I'm trying to resist seeing if I can put my head out the window."

Anchors Away sat an thought for a moment, "Well, I'd think a good relationship should be able to survive distances. As long as both are honest. But my travel is based on assignments. I guess this all comes down to the Chief Director. She's in charge of where I go so I guess I'll have to see about getting permanently assigned to this team. That also means this expedition needs to go well."

You...you would do that? I don't know what to say? I...thank you. I'm sure this expedition will go great.

Static perks up. Oh yeah! Just remembered something. I'll be right back.

Static goes back to his seat, gets out a slice of the queche and comes back to Anchors. It's...not as good as yours. But Snowy and I haven't keeled over dead...so I must've done something right. It's my first time actually cooking. There should still be enough for the rest of the team, but...I just...I wanted to do something for you.

Rhapsody smiles and nods as Amber pointed things out, while this wasn't anything spectacular for her... honestly it was kinda dull to just be sitting rather then doing any actual flying... she did humor her lover and take interest in stuff pointed out; as it was after all new and exciting to the beige unicorn. Just because it bored her, didn't mean she was gonna rain on Amber's parade.

"I'm not exactly thrilled to be going to a swamp near a place called Nightmare Heights; one or the other would be 'fine'" she air quotes "But both seem just really ominous together. So I don't particularly have a good feeling about this whole thing. We'll be lucky if some one doesn't go bumbling in and wake a Hydra or something." She says giving a glance to Night Cap.

Anchors Away sniffed then delicately took a bite. She thought for a moment, then gently placed a hoof on Static Signal's chest, "This is okay but...is it your's? I mean, I know you cooked it but...how do I put this...I want you to make something that's YOU. Not just to impress me but something with art and heart to it. That tasted exactly like a recipe."

"It...was a recipe." How do you not cook from a recipe, he thought to himself. I just got the cook book last night. It's actually the first time I've cooked anything...not just the first time I cooked a quiche...first time I cooked anything. So...I don't know. Maybe some cooking lessons may be in order?

Misty tapped the glass window lightly with her hoof. "It would probably hurt if you tried to do that?"

"Maybe my Mane will get blown off O_O! ... that would make it easier to get my mask on though... *mumble mumble*" Maple sighed and moved back to looking ahead. Getting embarrassed again as she remembered that some of the people in the room weren't in on her secret.

Anchors Away sighed then smiled, "I bet I know the exact measurements of every single ingredient in your quiche. Cookbooks are a great start but you need to branch out from there. Maybe add more kelp to it. Perhaps come up with a secret ingredient, even if that's just an extra dash of pepper. There's a way to word this...ah! Good cooking is science. Great cooking is art. My challenge to you is to be an arti--EEK!"Suddenly, the air ferry was jostled for a moment.

Meanwhile in the deluxe air ferry, the attendant was the utmost calm as she addressed Light Fantastic, "My goodness, it seems like we hit a stray gust but hopefully your voyage won't be disturbed too greatly."

"SWEET MERCIFUL LUNA!" Static steadied himself. This is why he didn't like flying. "This is why earth ponies are supposed to stay on...the bucking...ground!" He sighed and looked to Anchors. "You okay?"

Anchors Away took a few breaths then relaxed, "It could have been worse. So, about what I said...?"

"Wooooo!" Feeling the air ferry hit the turbulence, Misty's wings instinctively spread out to help her keep her balance.

Amber nodded at Rhapsody's assessment, and caught her glance at the strange little Mr. Cap. "It does seem rather foreboding. Of course, I've been to some very unpleasant places with very pleasant names. I suppose they should have some credit at least for candor. Oh! -" Amber exclaimed as the ferry shuddered, leaning against Rhapsody as it settled. "Oh, my, airships really do shudder in the wind, like in books? That's exciting!"

"Well, I'd like to get there at some point, definitely. Just...like I said...last night was my first time cooking. We all have to start somewhere, after all.

"I can take lessons, I suppose."
Static gave Anchors a sly grin. "Know anypony who'd be willing to teach me?"

"Well...lessons are ONE way but...do you mind if I put you on the spot?"

"No, go ahead. I'm kinda getting used to it."

Anchors Away stood up on the bench, "Hello everypony! Static made quiche for the whole team and he's looking for feedback on how he can improve his cooking skills.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Light Fantastic braced herself as the gust rocked the air ferry.

"No worries," she said, "It's fine."

Oh...buck! Static's eyes shot wide open. His pupils shrunk to the size of pin heads. His ears laid back and his throat seized.

He was just going to hand them out when they got there with little to no fan fare. Light Fantastic wasn't even there to get hers.

Still, he did tell Anchors it was okay to put him on the spot. He just thought that meant some sort of ego shattering insight.

He had to command his hooves to go back to his seat to get the quiche and start hoofing it out.

"I don't know what that is? ... is it sweet?" Maple asked.

Misty's ears twitched upon hearing Anchors speak the word "quiche." "What kind of quiche is it?"

"It's kelp quiche. I wouldn't say it's sweet...but it's...well...it's easier if you try it for yourself.

"Is...is Night okay?"

Spoiler

"I suppose, still doesn't fill me with confidence though. You don't name your town 'foreboding sense of doom' if you want to attract tourists, ya know?" Rhapsody replies and nods to Amber. "Yeah, just a bit of turbulence, Pegasai have to deal with it when flying occasionally." She glances at Misty for a moment. "Some enjoy it more then others..."

As Anchors speaks up she blinks. "I'm not sure, I'm not really the type for fancy stuff like that."

"Kelp quiche?! I love kelp quiche! Misty says, practically leaping into the air for joy. "I'd be glad to try some of yours!" She bounds over to Static, nearly bowling over Night Cap in her excitement.

As the airship bounced, Snowy missed exactly one note, then carried on, but at Anchors' announcement (and the ensuing modicum of rancor), he slows his music and looks around, taking the airship in again. He slowly walks over to Night Cap and helps the twice-unseated pony to his feet. "I've already had it." He says, not bothering to quiet anything. "It's not bad, and it's filling. I hope you like egg."

Shadewing:
"I'm not sure, I'm not really the type for fancy stuff like that."

"Well, good thing I was the one who made it then. Nothing fancy about it."

Fnu Aw:
"What's going on now?"

"Free food. Just request a critique and suggestions for improvement."

Patchouli Knowledge:
"Kelp quiche?! I love kelp quiche!" Misty says, practically leaping into the air for joy. "I'd be glad to try some of yours!" She bounds over to Static, nearly bowling over Night Cap in her excitement.

Static winces. "Watch out for Night, Misty. Quiche isn't going anywhere."

"I'm sorry Mr. Signal, but I think I'll have to pass... I might be air sick... I've never been this high off the ground. I'm sure Miss Monsoon or Mr. Night Cap could have better suggestions for you - after seconds."
Maple smiled and sat contently as the other ponies herded around the food

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
"Hmm? Oh, yes," said Amber, taking her slice of the quiche politely but enthusiastically. "I never would have expected you as the sort to cook, Static," she said, then seemed to second-guess herself with an odd look, as if not certain whether her comment would be insulting.

"Me either," Static said. "Of course, of the possible hobbies suggested to me last night...cooking was probably the least...harrowing."

"Oh, hey! We haven't really talked since last night after the ballet. How did things between you and Rhapsody go?"

Caldwin:
Static winces. "Watch out for Night, Misty. Quiche isn't going anywhere."

"Whoops, sorry Night Cap!" Misty says sheepishly. She decides to stand aside and let the bleary-eyed earth pony have a slice first.

"Thank's Night, but you don't have to worry about hurting my feelings. This is a learning experience for me. So...you know...better to have honesty over kindness. Really lay into it!"

Static gets out a notebook and winces. This is gonna suck!

Static opened his mouth as if to answer than shut it right back up again. That was what the recipe said to do. But the way Night Cap said that, it made it seem like that was the stupidest thing for him to do. And now Static was just downright afraid to cop to it.

Feeling the eyes on him though, he could tell he wasn't getting out of there without some sort of answer. "That was what the cook book said to do," he said weakly.

"It's, ahm, it's quite quiche. You seem to have been successful, Static," Amber said, smiling, and nodding in Rhapsody's direction for confirmation. "Don't you think so, dear?"

Static grinned a bit. She called her 'dear,' so things must've gone well. Still, he was hoping for a bit more of a conversation, not necessarily on her relationshiop if that was too personal. But being that Amber was the first friend he made in the STOMP team, he was hoping for...something.

"Thanks. That's very kind." He was disspointed that they were trying to be so kind though. He was hoping for some more constructive criticism...even if it would be painful to hear.

Of course, he still had Rhapsody's criticism to look forward to. She didn't strike him as somepony that would pull her punches. He wasn't sure what to expect from Misty. He braced himself for whatever may come.

cleardot.gif
Static scribbles down notes as Night Cap talks. Great! Thank you. Any other pointers?

Misty takes a delicate bite of the quiche. She chews it slowly on one side of her mouth. Then the other. Then she swallows.

"If I'm not mistaken, this is store-bought kelp. It's okay, but doesn't really compare to fresh kelp bought from a local kelp farmer. Not only is it healthier to buy fresh produce, the flavor is on a whole different level. There's a farmer's market that meets on weekdays near the docks in Callabuston where you can buy fresh kelp. If you go on Friday in the afternoon you can sometimes get a deal, too. Once you get it home, keep it nice and cool. When properly preserved, fresh kelp will last for a couple weeks, and be ready for any recipe you might need it for."

That said, she scarfs down the rest of the quiche. "Thanks for the food!" *urp* "...oh, excuse me!"

"You're welcome. Thanks for the tips." Static scratches down more notes.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Spoiler

Rhapsody would much rather discuss the night before then try some sort of knock-off Prench cuisine. "Things went pretty well I'd say. Mostly just a lot of talking and getting to know each other better, really." She says with a smile, though of course she wasn't gonna give any real details beyond that. She blinks at the question, and fumbles a bit. "Oh, yes... there was something I wanted to show you!" She says taking Amber aside, and gets her carry on luggage, pulling out the catapult part and shows it to Amber.

"I had a rather rude awakening this morning, two inept delivery ponies fouled up a delivery, this was inside. Its part of a trebuchet, but I don't know much about ti beyond that. They were delivering it to some warehouse, which was empty when I went to look at it, except for a few business cards and some papers I've not had time to go through. I don't like the idea of some kind of weapon smuggling. We have enough to worry about lately." Rhapsody says, explaining the basics of what happened this morning, while leaving out the chaos fueled musical number and inciting a mob to break into said warehouse...

"Oh, my," said Amber, looking over the component, drawing out a loupe and inspecting it closely. "Weapon smuggling. That's simply capital, Rhapsody."

Spoiler

Suddenly Maple was beside the pair of ponies pondering the part.
"Did you say you found a trampoline part Miss Rhapsody?" Maple could not keep the excitement off her face, or out of her hooves as she very slowly started bouncing a little.
"Also how was your training yesterday Miss. Spark? I hope it was as rewarding as the training I got from Miss Rhapsody and her friends at the gym." Maple smiled passed the unicorn to the dark Pegasus. "I'm sorry I left so quickly Miss. Rhapsody... but I got upset about Mr. Night Cap getting hurt... but we sorted everything out at breakfast this morning and I'd really like to continue training with you and everypony else when this mission is over."
Maple didn't give the two big little ponies a chance to respond before she started rustling through her saddlebags.
"Its a long standing tradition in the ring that a pony's outfit changes when she joins a new stable, and since I can't very well make myself look like a gryphon... I pulled this one out of the closet." Maple whispered... still unsure of the ponies reaction to her secret. Not that it would soon be a secret given that as she whispered she'd began putting on an all black version of her Leonard... this one even had wing wholes and nylon socks... the effect being that with the mask and boots on... and a sudden *poof* of her mane and tail...

there was a tiny black Pegasus with red hair standing next to them.

"If only there was something I could do with this mane... but it doesn't like hair dye >_>." Maple finally stopped yammering and let the two ponies have a moment to take this all in.

With the discussion of the quiche seeming over, Static tried to think of a new topic of discussion with Anchors, something...anything to get his mind off the fact of how high off the ground they were.

Then all of a sudden Maple started slipping into her wrestling outfit. What the buck did I miss last night at the training session?

"Oh, training was really quite nice," said Amber absently, still inspecting the trebuchet component. "I was hit in the head repeatedly." She glanced in Maple's direction in time to see her latest costume change but turned back to the trebuchet.

[So raise your hoof if you're not completely insane] Static thought to himself. But then he realized...he wouldn't be one to raise his hoof either. He shook his head dubiously as he turned back to Anchors. "We really are a rag tag bunch of misfits...aren't we?"

"Oh, also if it helps there was a scent of potpourri around all the parts, much of it has faded, but since its been in my saddle bag all day, maybe there still some scent carried in there." Rhapsody looks to Amber as she comments being hit in the head several times. "You sure you are okay?"

"I don't think either of us know the half of it." Snowy says, patting Static on the back.

"Oh my, yes, quite alright," said Amber, smiling very subtly, with the machine part levitating in front of her, very gradually turning.

Anchors Away motioned towards Static Signal, "So as you see, critique can vary. Gotta learn what to use, especially since it'll vary with how you cook things. Sometimes what you make for yourself is different from how you'd make things for others. For instance, kelp quiche is my favorite food...but there's a specific way I like it. I usually don't prefer for others to make it."

As Amber Spark inspected the machine part, she found that it was rather unremarkable in the grand scheme of things. The metal coloration was obviously unique and it hadn't been used but it was quite a simple piece of a rather complex whole. However, she could smell the subtly flowered scent wafting off of it now that it was held by her magic.

Maple slunk back to her seat, this obviously was another mistake.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Spoiler

Rhapsody looks over to Maple. "I am not ignoring you." She states with a soft smile. "Its just this could be very important. There was a recent break in to the Museum before you arrived, and I worry if this possible weapons smuggling might be done by the same group that tried the heist, and also tried to foul up our first expedition. Its sort of my roll on the team to try and keep everyone safe, since I am the closest thing to a trained fighter that we actually have.. and my astronomy skills don't always come in handy in broad day light or dark caves." She explains. "I guess I have sort of a tunnel vision when it comes to these things. I get so focused on them, that the rest of the world sort fades into the background."

Static sighed, his face turning slightly downcast. He could take the critiques. Being his first time cooking, he fully expected plenty of room for improvement. It would be something to work at.

Zamuel:
"kelp quiche is my favorite food...but there's a specific way I like it. I usually don't prefer for others to make it."

But that part kinda hurt. It sounded as if even if he had gotten it right the first time, it wouldn't have been appreciated. So...what could he do for her?

She just told him that she'd try and see about being assigned to this team...for him. He wanted to do something special for her in return. But what?

He had the feeling that she was trying to guide him to make something he liked...a food he preferred.

But what would that be? Ever since he moved out of his mothers house, it had been frozen chemicherrychangas, tasteless oat bars and the occasional sandwich from Skivey's...and of course the blasted cider! He didn't have a food he particularly liked.

So...what could he do? Luna, he felt worthless!

"Is that what happened to that big skeleton?" Maple said ...Eyes lighting back up when Rhapsody spoke.

"Hmm. Yes, well, it's quite direct, isn't it? Not a great deal of subtlety," Amber said vaguely to herself. "Yes, I do see what you mean about the odor. Quite an odd affectation for a weapon component, indeed." Amber shook her head. "I'm honestly at something of a loss. It's neither old nor magical, so I'm somewhat out of my element. Probably machined by hoof, and the trebuchet probably hadn't been assembled before you found this."

Amber thought for a moment, then said, "So I assume that training for the rest of you did not involve unpredictable tennis balls. How did the rest of you fare?"

Spoiler

Rhapsody looks briefly at Night Cap before turning away to look to Maple. “The answer to both is yes. The skeleton was knocked over by a fleeing culprit, at least according to what I heard. I was busy chasing down another suspicious character at the time. “ She says and the looks to the rest of the room. “This morning a pair of inept delivery ponies spilled a crate outside my house. These parts were inside and scattered everywhere. Upon interrogating the pair, I learned they were delivering it to a warehouse where it was to be assembled. This may or may not be connected directly to COIN, but its underhanded and dangerous even if it isn't.”

As Amber finishes her examination the black pegasus looks over to her. “That is unfortunate. I was hoping that you could gather more info from it. Maybe if I had had more on me, but the rest should he in police custody by now. Even if somehow it wasn't, missing this piece means it can't be completed, at least not without a replacement.” She walks over to her saddlebag and pulls out a file and several business cards. “When I got to the warehouse, this and some tools were all I found.” She states and passes the business cards around so everyone could get a look, maybe someone might recognize the logo, as she opened the file for the first time and started to leaf through it to see what it contained.

"Ummm... what's a COIN?" Misty asks.

"Some very unprofessional but nonetheless very well organized treasure hunters we encountered on our previous expedition,"
said Amber. "They further attempted to break into the museum to steal a pair of artifacts the night before the ballet. To our credit, they proved quite unsuccessful," Amber finished with grin.

"Treasure hunters..." Static started off with a scoff. "Home invaders, opportunists who'll take a pony down on their luck and twist and manipulate them into spying on their employers...among other unsavory, law breaking acts. Poor pawns wouldn't even know what they're getting themselves into before it's too late."

Static looks dramatically at Misty. "If anypony ever tells you that 'there's no profit to be made from the end of the world', feel free to buck them where it hurts. You'll be doing the world a favor."

"But Mr Signal, if the world ends how would they get paid..?"

Maple has a look at the card and tries to remember if she's seen the logo before on her travels.
Spoiler

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Rhapsody looks over to Maple. "I am not ignoring you." She states with a soft smile. "Its just this could be very important. There was a recent break in to the Museum before you arrived, and I worry if this possible weapons smuggling might be done by the same group that tried the heist, and also tried to foul up our first expedition. Its sort of my roll on the team to try and keep everyone safe, since I am the closest thing to a trained fighter that we actually have.. and my astronomy skills don't always come in handy in broad day light or dark caves." She explains. "I guess I have sort of a tunnel vision when it comes to these things. I get so focused on them, that the rest of the world sort fades into the background."

So you are, by definition, ignoring her, Snowy notes, though he has the sense not to say it out loud. Ponies around here had a remarkable amount of emotional instability. Then again, Static was always a little down, this wasn't that different for him. Maybe it was just Maple. He grimaces at the mention of the Thaumiceratops statue. Was anyone ever going to let him forget that?

"But Mr Signal, if the world ends how would they get paid..?"

"That is the general impetus of the statement, Maple. But as best as I can tell, they're liable to buck up an destroy the world anyways."

"I'm sure they aren't all bad, and even the ones who are... with Miss Rhapsody's training I'm sure they wont be a problem" Maple slams her forehooves together with a grin and a heap of bravado.

Statics anger flares a bit at Maples total naïveté about COIN not being all bad. He lets it go, however. She'll learn soon enough, the moment she first comes into contact with them...she'll learn.

"If the things going on at the Manehatten branch were as bad as I've heard, it's likely some of the ponies I thought were my friends...may not have been. Or maybe they were and they also happened to be these coin ponies too." Maple says, making a quick glance to Mr. Signal -these same ponies would know him as well after all.

To be clear...I'm no friend of COIN. It turns out you're a member, you get one chance. Then the friendship is over.

"Good goddesses, Static, don't scare the poor mare."

"Some very unprofessional but nonetheless very well organized treasure hunters we encountered on our previous expedition," said Amber. "They further attempted to break into the museum to steal a pair of artifacts the night before the ballet. To our credit, they proved quite unsuccessful," Amber finished with grin.
Misty took a moment to process those words. "So... they're bad ponies?"

Static looks intensely at Misty. "If anypony ever tells you that 'there's no profit to be made from the end of the world', feel free to buck them where it hurts. You'll be doing the world a favor."
Seeming confused at first, Misty then changes expression to one of feisty determination. "Right!" she concurs. Doing the world a favor was never a bad thing!

Spoiler

Rhapsody hadn't been intentionally ignoring the smaller mare, just focused more on the trebuchet part. She was aware of what Maple was saying and doing, just it was in the background of her mind. She looks to Maple. "No, they aren't all bad. From what I can tell, they work in cells. The lower down they are on the totem pole, the more likely they are to not actually be bad. On the first expedition we met a pair who were more or less friendly after we beat them, if we hadn't been on a deadline maybe they would had joined us; but there wasn't time to just sit around and talk and I wasn't in the mood for dealing with a pair that could have potentially stabbed us in the back while the fate of Equestria was on the line." She states before continuing.

"There was also apparently a brother and sister in the museum heist, something happened to the sister and the Brother only cared for getting her help. From what I heard from the cops later is that he pretty much willing surrendered in exchange for her being taken to the hospital. So that is a total of four that aren't all bad." She says looking over to Static, she understood his position to an extent, but it was less personal for her. She wasn't willing to take a chance and endanger the team, so for her it was easier to paint them all as black rather they gray.

"But, I want to stress: Treat them as if they are. There is no way of knowing if they're gonna be friendly, and they more likely won't be as simply doing their job means they oppose us. So forget that they could be potential allies, forget that they might be good ponies caught up in something they don't understand. They are a threat, and until neutralized they need to be treated as such. That only goes for the underlings. The bosses? Yeah, don't expect them to be nice once you bucked their flanks." Rhapsody says, mostly for Maple's and Misty's benefit.

She then focuses all her attention on Maple. "And I need you dial it down a bit when it comes to combat." She states calmly. "I like your enthusiasm, and this isn't a reprimand, but one night of training and some wrestling moves aren't gonna guarantee your safety. I don't want you to get in over your head and get hurt; while we can deal with it if that happens, but I would prefer that it doesn't."

She then looks to Static. "And you, whatever issues you have with them: Drop it. You apparently have angry issues, right? We don't need your anger towards one specific member making you reckless or violent to everyone. This expedition comes first, if it is a choice between your hatred for them and your desire to see this successful." She says glancing over to Anchors for subtle emphasis. "Do the right thing."

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Snowy tries to look severe, supportive, and approving throughout most of Rhapsody's speech. He agreed with what she was saying, and knew how the image of group consensus could sway people. However, he did let out a single wet choking nose as the use of the phrase 'angry issues.' Rhapsody's speech occasionally broke with normal rhythms, but that was a new one.

Static looks pointedly from Rhapsody, to Night Cap and back to Rhapsody. "Yeah, funny you'd be the one to say that. But don't worry. I know when we have a job to do and I'm not going to let any personal issues with COIN get in the way of that.

"Don't underestimate them either. Just because you've met a handfull that are pushovers doesn't mean they all are. It's because of them I had to move."

Spoiler

"Indeed, We can't go about expecting them to always be an easy battle. Eventually they are going to know to prepare for us. Its better to treat them as a threat then as a joke or pushover to try and prevent them getting to drop on us when they start stepping up their game." Rhapsody says in support of Static's position, before stepping closer to him. Once close enough she whispers so only he can hear. "Yes, and when that actually makes me buck up on a mission, you can call me on it. Til then it remains a non-issue." For a moment she considered bringing up how he beat up an unconscious prisoner, but would rather not call him out anything specific.

Static lowers his voice to a whisper. "Fair enough. Just know that for as long as I've known the guy, he's said nothing but kind things about you. He thinks of you as a friend, and you're being cruel in return.

"By the way, while you're here, see me later. I've got a business proposition for you."

"I think if I'd been anyone other than a member of STOMP, I probably would have."

Maple sat down where she stood, to dejected to make it back to her seat.

"any pony can be a friend if you try hard enough." ... she mumbled, as she started taking her outfit off and putting it back in her bag

"any pony can be a friend if you try hard enough." ... she mumbled, as she started taking her outfit off and putting it back in her bag

Static wanted to shoot back at that. Dazzling Midnight, Silent Belle, the princess of Anugypt...Static doubted any one of them would share her desire for friendship. If Maple had met them...

But maybe that was the problem. All Maple had seen so far are the tourists at the museum. What kind of evil had she really seen? Maybe once she'd been on a few missions...

Besides, she seemed depressed enough. He didn't want to rub salt in the wound. He sighed as he turned back for his seat.

"I hope you still believe that after actually meeting up with some of these ponies. I truly do. Me...? I'm sorry. I just can't." He shook his head and sat down, taking out his note pad and reviewing notes he'd taken.

Static lowers his voice to a whisper. "Fair enough. Just know that for as long as I've known the guy, he's said nothing but kind things about you. He thinks of you as a friend, and you're being cruel in return.

"By the way, while you're here, see me later. I've got a business proposition for you."

"He can believe whatever he wants, he's yet to show me he's as altruistic as you seem to think he is." Rhapsody relies in a whisper and leaves it at that for now in regards to Night Cap. "When I've got some time t speak more freely, sure I'll come see you."

"I really hope you're not removing that because you disagree with me." Rhapsody shakes her head. "You've got heart, that'll never stop being a good thing. But that is still idealism. Its very nice idealism, but no. Not everypony wants to be your friend. While I do believe many of those we'll encounter are likely neutral enough that they can befriended and shown the error of their ways, the higher up the ladder you go for a criminal organization the less likely they are in to be making friends. They are motivated more by greed and personal gain. About the only way I could see them being 'friendly' to us, is if they really live up to their motto and something is likely to kill them then turn a profit, then they might aid us out of a need of self preservation."

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
"A reassuring thought as always, Mr. Cap."

"Survival is a powerful motivator." Maple's eyes locked onto Rhapsody's and there was not even the faintest hint of a smile in them. It quickly bled back into them as she turned to Night Cap.

"oh, that's funny Mr. Night Cap... Fun is like the number 3 reason I'm here."

"Yes, and when survival STOPS being a motivator, they're gonna revert to their previous ways. Surely you've seen enough wrestling to realize that when the heel and face make nice for a common goal, the heel turns on the face as soon as that goal is achieved." Rhapsody replies as she looks at her, not being bothered by the lack of smile.

Shadewing:
"He can believe whatever he wants, he's yet to show me he's as altruistic as you seem to think he is."

"If everypony has to prove themselves to you before you'll consider them a friend, well, that's just exhausting.

"But considering he's the only one on this team who went with me to face Dazzling Midnight at my home, then yes, he's earned that trust...at least from me. Anyway, love him, hate him...just be straight up with him. He may be eccentric, but so far I've seen much more honesty from him then I have from some others on this team."

Static really wanted to add "including you" to that quip. But considering he was also posing a business proposition with this pony, he figured it best to be more diplomatic.

"When I've got some time t speak more freely, sure I'll come see you."

"It's nothing top secret or anything. I just didn't want to interrupt you while you were busy. Earliest convenience."

"He can believe whatever he wants, he's yet to show me he's as altruistic as you seem to think he is."
"If everypony has to prove themselves to you before you'll consider them a friend, well, that's just exhausting.

"But considering he's the only one on this team who went with me to face Dazzling Midnight at my home, then yes, he's earned that trust...at least from me. Anyway, love him, hate him...just be straight up with him. He may be eccentric, but so far I've seen much more honesty from him then I have from some others on this team."

Static really wanted to add "including you" to that quip. But considering he was also posing a business proposition with this pony, he figured it best to be more diplomatic.

Rhapsody huffs as he won't let this go. "No, not everypony. Just the ones that show more concern for themselves and enemies then teammates, not ever bothering to actually fight any of those wanting to turn the world into a frozen wasteland. Yes THOSE ponies have to prove to me they are in fact, actually not threats to you and everypony else on this team." Rhapsody replies with a hiss and rolls her eyes. "Yes. Of course the potential double agent, goes to meet with you with a known COIN agent. And I bet he was all smiles and sunshine with her, treated her like he knew her for ages and didn't see what was wrong with being nice to pony that wants to cause you grievous bodily harm, yes?" At this point she was using her audiomancy skills to keep the conversation quiet, despite the whispers.

Maple looked around the room and felt better about everyone, even Miss Rhapsody - Maple figured that was the one Pony she could 'let down her mask' around. Not so for Mr. Signal... he seems to be really on edge with trust issues, this past week must have hit him hard, or maybe he was always like this and the cyder actually helped him.

"Miss Away, Miss Monsoon.... Mr. Skies - do you think I should give up on potential friends if I meet these Coin ponies." Maple asked, not wanting to leave anyone out of the conversation, as well as seeing if any of her team mates had issues like Mr. Signal.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Rhapsody huffs as he won't let this go. "No, not everypony. Just the ones that show more concern for themselves and enemies then teammates, not ever bothering to actually fight any of those wanting to turn the world into a frozen wasteland. Yes THOSE ponies have to prove to me they are in fact, actually not threats to you and everypony else on this team." Rhapsody replies with a hiss and rolls her eyes. "Yes. Of course the potential double agent, goes to meet with you with a known COIN agent. And I bet he was all smiles and sunshine with her, treated her like he knew her for ages and didn't see what was wrong with being nice to pony that wants to cause you grievous bodily harm, yes?" At this point she was using her audiomancy skills to keep the conversation quiet, despite the whispers.

Static didn't even pause. Sure she might have been right about Night Cap being a bit too enamored with Dazzling Midnight. But she went way too far accusing him of being a double agent.

"Last time I acted on the thought that someone may be a double agent before I had any proof of it...I wound up looking incredibly stupid," Static replied with an equal hiss. "You call him a COIN double agent, that's a very serious allegation. I sure hope you have the proof to back it up."

"He was the only one there for me when I needed someone to back me up. I trust him and I will not allow you to try and sway me on that...least of all without any evidence to back it up."

Static was seething at this point. He almost wanted to forget about the business proposition and just do his own research in the library.

"I don't give one good Luna blessed, pony feathered buck whether you like him or not. All I was asking was that you be straight up with him. Now I'm telling you...stay the buck away from him. He's my friend...my brother...and I will not allow any more harm to come to him."

No wonder no pony responded to her question... even Maple had turned her attention to Static and Rhapsody...

yes the cyder wasn't entirely a bad thing. Maple thought, she hadn't had a lot of interaction with Mr. Signal in Manehatten... but this was for sure a new thing.

Spoiler

Rhapsody looks Static right in the eye, being deathly serious. "Be careful how you phrase things. I don't have to like someone to want to keep them safe, and as long as he is on this team; that means I will put up with him and protect him like any other, because that is my job here. Wither I am right or wrong about him, he is officially on the team, and until he proves otherwise I will try to keep him as safe as you, or Maple, or Amber or any pony else. That is a large part of why Brisk hired me for STOMP, because I can and will do all in my power to protect everypony around me. But if you're gonna order me to stay away from him, then you take over ALL responsibilities for his safety. If he is in danger, I will not help him because you don't want me near him. Now, I'll ask you once, and just once, do you really want me to 'stay the buck away from him' knowing that I will follow that agreement to. the. letter. " She says specifically stressing that bit. "If I make it?" This wasn't a threat, her tone wasn't harsh. She was informing Static of the full weight of such a command as she keeps the conversation strictly between them.

Amber looked from Rhapsody to Static and then back to Rhapsody again. This was getting well out of hand, and Amber wasn't even certain where it had started. Night Cap was of course harmless when nopony made the dire mistake of listening to his advice, reassurances, or ramblings about nightmarish creatures from the ether, and generally quite friendly, even under circumstances under which aloofness would have been preferable. Rhapsody was ... Rhapsody, even when she was angry for reasons Amber couldn't fully understand; her intentions were good. Static was, if anything, the most innocent of the three, and Amber had felt some pride in protecting such a bright-eyed, optimistic, and vulnerable rookie during the museum heist.

At present, she was left wishing for a thaumoptic camouflage cloak.

She turned her attention to Maple. "Manipulation can at times be a ... hmm, ah. Opening the channels of friendship can at times be a dangerous course, Ms. Jack. It is to the benefit of our rivals if we give them the opportunity to sway our objectives. We should not wish to be, ah, played. Most particularly when it presents opportunity for stressing weak joins within our own organization."

"Considering the condition I saw him in this morning, you seem to be doing a bang up job. But fine, since it is your job...protect him. I wouldn't want you to fail at your job. So, yeah, protect those you protect because it's your...job."

"Me, I'll protect them because,"
he points at Amber "she's my sister," he points at Maple, "sister," he points at Misty, Snowy, Night Cap and Anchors...calling them each 'sister' or 'brother' as the case may be. He then points to Rhapsody, "I haven't figured you out yet. But you're on the team. So I'll protect you to because you're my comrade...if nothing else...but not because its my job."

"Yes of course..." Maple responded to Amber because she heard what she said... but it was only slightly above the distraction of not hearing what was going on with Static and Rhapsody... those faces and hoof gestures should be louder than this.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
"Considering the condition I saw him in this morning, you seem to be doing a bang up job. But fine, since it is your job...protect him. I wouldn't want you to fail at your job. So, yeah, protect those you protect because it's your...job."

"Me, I'll protect them because,"
he points at Amber "she's my sister," he points at Maple, "sister," he points at Misty, Snowy, Night Cap and Anchors...calling them each 'sister' or 'brother' as the case may be. He then points to Rhapsody, "I haven't figured you out yet. But you're on the team. So I'll protect you to because you're my comrade...if nothing else...but not because its my job."

At the repeated utterance of 'job' Rhapsody rolls her eyes. "You're an idiot." She states bluntly. She points around the room. "Lover." Amber. "Acquaintance." Snowy, Maple and Misty; she didn't know any of them well enough yet to call them friend, but she still liked them. "Unknown Variable" Night Cap. "Boss." She points to Anchor. And then grins softly considering his choice of words in trying to make a point. "Must be weird dating someone that's your sister. Didn't know you were into that." She says before shaking her head. "Put whatever labels you want on them, they don't matter to me and I don't see them when lives are on the line. I don't care what you think of me. I'm not here to be liked, and if I've got the be the enemy of the piece to ensure everyone is safe, then so be it."

As long as your okay with that, because I just figured you out. 'Aquaintance'?" he asked pointing to Snowy. "Unknown Variable? Boss?" he said pointing to each in turn.

"Yeah, my mouth kinda went faster than my brain there for a second with Anchors. You know me. But I've figured you out. Cold...hearted...mule."

"Easy enough to care for your lover. She's the only one you really give a flying feather about, isn't she? The rest of us...well...we're just lucky mules who happened to be in your job description."

"You don't deserve her...any more than I deserve Anchors."

"Pony feathers! I used to be cold hearted just like you. I just hope Amber does for you what Anchors did for me."

Rhapsody rolls her eyes at Static, who continues to prove his narrow-mindedness on the topic "Yes, Acquaintance. Somepony that is known, but not yet a close friend. Snowy I would almost call a friend, but still wants to be distant and I'm not gonna force myself on him. While Maple and Misty I've spent maybe.. lets be generous and say 6 hours total with them, and most of that involved them getting their flanks repeatedly handed to them by myself, a large griffon, and an unicorn. And yes, there is a lot more to the training then how that sounds, just so you don't get any further wrong ideas. So no, I don't know them well en! ough to call either friend, but I am amicable with them until I actually get to know who they are. I don't even know Anchors beyond two meetings and what she revealed in them, so yes as she is leading this expedition 'boss' is all she is to me at the moment. You seem to forget that not every pony has spent the same amount of time with every pony else here."

"This is why you are an idiot. You use labels, labels over simplify things to a stupid degree. You are not a just projectionist, you are not a drunkard anymore, you are not actually an idiot," She says, pointing out that she is doing it as well, so that it doesn't need to be pointed out to her like its not super-obvious. "Despite your great lack of common sense and need to mouth off, those are all labels that greatly simplify you whether they are wrong or right. Anyone could call you those, but they miss out any other thing that might also be part of who you are. Relationships are much more complex then simple one or two word descriptions." She replies, neither taking offense of even commenting on being called a cold-hearted mule, she doesn't even react. She already told him she didn't care what he thought of her.

Amber finds herself staring at the two now silent and now wildly gesticulating ponies with everypony else. She'd been close enough to hear the opening salvos of the discussion, but the pair had become utterly silent. She shot a warning look at Snowy Skies. "Mr. Skies, if this is your doing, I do not think it very constructive." She slid off the bench from Rhapsody's side and stepped in between Rhapsody and Static. She narrowed her eyes at each of them. "Rhapsody, dearest, just what is going on here?", she asked, her tone wavering between conciliatory, genuinely uncertain, and slightly accusatory in equal turns.

"Hmmm... we probably won't find any COINs in the cave, so we don't need to get all worried about it just yet," Misty says in response to Maplejack's question.

She smiles pleasantly but notices a bit of tension in the room.

"I think you're Right Miss Monsoon." Maple said, giving a genuine smile back to the nice Pegasus

Top Bottom