[IC] Equestrian Radio Show's Adventure Variety Hour: Explorers of STOMP

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Pendulumnae smiled at Maplejack's success, "Looks like you're picking up on this quickly." Sky Lynx flew over and pointed at Maplejack, "Why can't the rest of you pick things up as quickly as this one? Perhaps you haven't warmed up enough... Ten laps for EVERYONE in the gym!" There were various grumbles and glares throughout the gym as everyone stopped what they were doing to jog their laps.

Spoiler

Rolling down the lane, Light Fantastic's ball veered until it hit the gutter. On Steel Flint's turn, the ball rolled into the gutter even faster than Hazel Naught, leading to a frustrated whinny. Silky Double-Time was the only one to score at all, knocking over three pins for her team. "At least the lane isn't completely cursed. I do believe this will take some effort." "We're winning but you just might have a chance," Silky Double-Time playfully teased. "It's a shame Amber had to miss out on the fun. Of course, she's probably having just as much fun with the new discovery. I hope you get to experience some of that on tomorrow's expedition, Light Fantastic. Should be much less dreadful than the other things we've had to deal with recently."

Spoiler

Misty gets up again and rushes off to do more laps. She's still puzzling over things in her head. Rhapsody was strong and she knew she was strong... what did Misty know she could do well?

She runs up alongside Night Cap. "Night Cap, how do I know what I'm good at?"

Snowy Skies knew the store well and gradually wound his way towards the colder aisles. He used the travel time to ponder. "It's all a bit Paradoxical. I'm a musician who works as a janitor. I don't have much to 9ffer in terms of wealth or status. What I do have to offer is what I've been hoarding for so many years: truth. And yet, I've been hoarding it for good reason; if I give her the truth, I probably won't get to be with her at all. I might end up dead, and I'll probably end up back in jail. And I'm not even considering how she might react to it!" It occurs to him that he's said far too much, and he's suddenly quite thankful that his cone of silence followed him.

Static raised an eyebrow. You haven't told her yet? It's probably best not to keep something...so...major...from...crap! It just occured to me, I never told Anchors about what happened the night of the COIN attack on the museum. I mean, I think I thought it was common knowledge among those who are in the know about STOMP. But I never really did...

We should tell them. It would only get harder the longer we wait.

Wait a minute...end up dead? How much trouble are you in? I mean...

Okay, I'm going to go for broke here. If you don't want to tell me, then it's none of my business. But honestly...not just you...but STOMP as a whole just seems to have so many secrets between its members. I mean, we can put our lives in eachothers hands, but we can't let eachother in on our darker secrets?

So...especially if your life may be in danger...just know...I consider you a friend.

I'm not here to judge you. I'm not here to blackmail you. I'm not here to narc on you.

Static took a deep breath and then winced. I'm...rambling again. Sweet Luna, what's wrong with me? Please tell me you're doing that sound thing you do so that only we can hear eachother.

Snowy grins. "You think I'd talk about this without it?" His smile fades a little. "And it's not that simple. I've told her half of it. Well...it depends on how you weight things. It's really more like a third. That third was the reason why I was in jail, and, well, she agreed to meet me at the market this Sunday, so she hasn't run away yet. The rest of it...literally should not be able to affect me, as long as nobody else knows about it. My life is only in danger once the secret is out. And I'm trying really, REALLY, hard to forget that it ever happened, so telling ponies about it seems counter-intuitive." He grimaces, his face almost recoiling. "Except I can't let myself forget it, because...ugh, it's complicated. But yeah, telling anyone anymore than what I've already said...is probably not going to happen. And you thought you were rambling." He finishes with a smile. "What was Anchors so worried about, after the meeting, anyway? It seemed like it might have had something to do with me."

Maple was happy that she'd shown them she could do it... but then everyone got to do laps again, and she couldn't tell if it was her fault.

Spoiler

Catching up quickly to her two friends... Maple mused that the leotard binding her wins might be making her faster somehow.

"I'm Sorry I got us in trouble." Maple said as she easily moved between the two larger ponies, mixed emotions giving her almost a blank expression. Sad that they all had to do laps again, but happy they were at least running and not flying

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Why don't we go by your place first since you'll be wanting to get that milk into the fridge? Plus I really want to get started on making this quiche. I may have to make a couple batches before it's...edible.

As far as what Anchors was worried about...it...is kinda something she told me in confidence. I mean, it's nothing really Equestria shattering, but I'm not sure I should just talk about it.

And as far as your secret...don't worry, I won't push. I guess it does go a long way to explaining why your so secretive sometimes.

"One can only hope," said Light Fantastic.

Why don't we go by your place first since you'll be wanting to get that milk into the fridge? Plus I really want to get started on making this quiche. I may have to make a couple batches before it's...edible.

As far as what Anchors was worried about...it...is kinda something she told me in confidence. I mean, it's nothing really Equestria shattering, but I'm not sure I should just talk about it.

And as far as your secret...don't worry, I won't push. I guess it does go a long way to explaining why your so secretive sometimes.

Snowy chuckles, and winds his way back towards the checkout. "I have a penchant for setting up camp in wolf dens. Sooner or later, I always find myself joining the pack. STOMP is a little different from the usual. More like a flock of birds, perhaps."

"Huh..." Misty continues to ponder the issue.

"Oh, Maplejack, that landing you did was really awesome!"
she says when Maple runs up to join her and Night Cap.

It is quite a troop! Static said with a chuckle. He got in line behind Snowy and waited to be checked out.

An astronomer, a tinkerer, a museum greeter, movie projectionist, projectionist apprentice, janitor (though I doubt you got hired for your janitorial capabilities), and a ballet dancer. I can't imagine how a single one of us got chosen for our line of work...except for Rhapsody. She looks like she's not totally...untrained. And of course you. I'm glad you're on our side.

Still, compared to a group where you have to watch that your own people don't stab you in the back, I'm sure STOMP has to be a heck of a breather.

Static paid the cashier and left the store behind Snowy. So...which direction are we going?

"Left." Snowy says, pointing towards a thin alleyway with one hoof. "A basher, a zapper, a...museum greeter...a fighter, a monster hunter, an illusionist, and a doctor. Give Maple time, and I'm sure we'll find out what she's doing here." The route to his apartment was surprisingly direct, thanks to several select alleyways they cut through. "I live on the sixth floor, and the elevator's been broken since I got here, so you're welcome to stay downstairs if you wish."

Monster hunter? You seem to know more about Night Cap than the rest of us. I know he's a dreamwalker. Past that, the more I find out the more confused I am about him.

You on the other hand? You seem to have everyone pegged. Useful skill, but it might make others nervous if they knew they were being...studied.

Static looked at the flights of steps. Sixth floor? I used to be able to do that in my sleep when I was a young colt. Now that I have a job where I mostly sit in a projection booth all day? Static lets out a sigh. I guess that just means I can use all the exercise I can get...unless there's something up there I shouldn't see?

Snowy shrugs. "It's just logistics. I can't guarantee you'll make it through the front door." Up the stairs and down the hall, he unlocks his door, steps through the threshold, turns right, and immediately opens the refrigerator (directly in Static's face). "Told you." He says, depositing the milk and shutting the fridge door. Now that Static's view isn't blocked, he can see that the room should be quite roomy, but is forced into a cramped state by the coexistence of a dining table, two chairs, and a grand piano. He can see a space alongside the kitchen counter that could probably be used to move deeper into the house, if you were slim and bony.

Wow! You've got a lot of furniture! Static says in shock. Eh hem! Sorry. That was rude.

Static looks around, trying to take the place in before returning his attention to the discussion at hand.

What are your thoughts on Night Cap? I'm not saying I have everypony else figured, but Night Cap seems particularly...slippy.

Not intentionally, mind. He seems to want ponies to know more about him. But...like I said...the more I find out about him, the more confusing he gets.

"I never said I knew anything more about him than you did." Snowy says in good humor. "But I can definitely say that I would trust him with my life."

Oh, yeah. I didn't mean to imply I didn't trust him. He was there for me when I had to confront Dazzling Midnight. I absolutely trust him.

Just some of his...behaviors...seem to come out of nowhere sometimes. I'm just not sure what to make of him.

Rhapsody...I...don't think she likes him much. I mean, last night before the ballet, I thought maybe a little good natured ribbing might be in order with the outfit he chose. But Rhapsody...and to a lesser extent Amber...but definitely Rhapsody...that was not good natured.

"Rhapsody possesses a certain density of mind." Snowy says, deciding to step farther into the apartment. He slips in between the piano and the counter and rears up to open a cupboard and pull out two glasses. "She's highly observant, but she thinks that means she can take the measure of a pony in an extremely short time. I don't know why she hasn't learned yet that misjudging ponies is such an easy thing to do. Perhaps she didn't get out much as a filly." He pulls the milk back out of the fridge and fills a glass. "Night Caps often comes off as ditzy or foolish, and I'd imagine that she can't conceive of a redeeming quality in him. Though she'd better think one up soon, or start maligning Brisk Iron's hiring policy. Milk?"

Sure, thanks! Static takes the milk and takes a sip. He coughs a bit as it goes down. It's...not cider...that's for sure.

I dunno. I just hope with time she'll come around. Sooner rather than later would be good. STOMP has enough enemies without us trying to tear each other apart.

Static finishes the milk and sets the glass down. Heh! Haven't had that since I was a foal.

So! You ready? Night's not getting any younger and I've got quite a bit of baking ahead of me. Static grins with a glint in his eyes. You're my first victim!

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Maple smiled again hearing Miss Monsoon. "I just realized that I'd known how to do it all along from watching... Wrestling." Maple said the last word quietly, forgetting for a moment that this secret was way past out - at least to those inside the gym.
"Is there something that you can do Miss Monsoon that might help... if you use it in a different way?" Maple asked as the three continued to run together.

Snowy drains his milk and levitates both glasses to the sink. "Sure thing. Where did you say you lived? High Street?"

High Street W. Static confirms, leading the way. Bit further away from the rough side of town than what I'm used to. I kinda like it. I'll have to see if I can actually afford it once my three months are up. I'm actually living there rent free for a while...seeing as how I'm just barely shy of being in witness protection.

He leads Snowy to his apartment. It's spacious, but with very little filling it. There was a couch in the living room and a table in the kitchen with just a bare mimimum set of chairs. It had the normal kitchen appliences that would normally come with an apartment. That was it.

Static took out the ingredients and put it in the blender. Then he emptied it all into a pie plate and put it into the oven.

He set a timer and sat down on the couch.

That's it. Now we wait. That was...incredibly simple.

"Well, this is quite the change of pace." Snowy comments as he looks around the house.

Snowy dragged a chair in from the kitchen and sat opposite from Static. "I should warn you that I don't like eggs. They never sit well in my stomach."

That's okay. This is me cooking. I'd be surprised if it sat well on anypony's stomach.

After the laps, Sky Lynx growled, "Let's see you two have learned anything from Maplejack."

Spoiler

"Expedition?" Silky Double-Time perked up and then pondered for a moment. "While some stuff may be confidential, for the stuff that's not, would you mind taking a few photos for me?" Meanwhile, Hazel Naught rolled another gutter ball.

Spoiler

Maple looked at everyone in the room... everypony and everygryphon, as Mr. Skylinx spoke.
"I'm sure they will do wonderfully Mr. Skylinx."

"I'll be sure to take my camera with me," said Light Fantastic.

She picked up her ball again.

Spoiler

"First time coooking is usually surprising passable." Snowy replies. "Thanks for the documentary earlier, by the way. There wasn't much of use about the caves, but there were some interesting details about how magic interacts with crystals."

You're welcome. I hope it didn't insult your intelligence too much. These documentaries are really made with foals on field trips in mind. I was honestly surprised Ms. Iron suggested it.

"If there was much knowledge about this sort of thing, we wouldn't be needed there. The caves themselves seem remarkably ordinary, honestly. I wonder what we're supposed to expect inside."

Rock...rock...more rock.

Hey! I'm just hoping to have some time where Anchors and I can talk. Tonight was great...but...we've got a lot to work out. I'm guessing you and Light too?

Rock...rock...more rock.

Hey! I'm just hoping to have some time where Anchors and I can talk. Tonight was great...but...we've got a lot to work out. I'm guessing you and Light too?

Snowy raises an eyebrow. "Cartographers we are not. There are definitely people more qualified to look at rocks, and Brisk Iron does not strike me as inefficient." He shakes his head. "As for talking to Light...work is work. I'm not certain how much time we'll be spending chatting alone. I'm also...hm." He looks dissatisfied. "I'm worried. It's hard to put my finger on what."

Well, in complete honesty, I've been kind of apprehensive about this expedition too.

I try to tell myself that it's just nerves. After two straight nights of fighting, I guess it's hard to take any expedition briefing at face value without waiting for some hidden "end of all that exists" plot to come to light.

Still, just because it's wise to remain on your guard doesn't mean we have to let paranoia ruin a potentially memorable time. I get the sense that not just anypony is allowed into the caverns, after all.

For that matter, it could just be an elaborate way to get the team to work together. Luna knows we could use the chance. As it stands, STOMP seems less like a team and more like a ragtag bunch of misfits.

Luna, I'm rambling again! I just can't seem to help myself sometimes.

Static looks at the timer. Almost there, but not quite.

"Fair enough, fair enough." Snowy grins. "I rather like being a ragtag misfit, really. Being on a team sounds rather stringent, and a little dull."

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Upon opening the oven, Static Signal saw the quiche didn't seem to be burned. Nothing immediately seemed off. The smell wasn't nauseating. The quiche seemed passable from what he could tell.

Spoiler

Static made a few small slices, handing one over to Snowy, keeping one for himself and putting the rest in a container to take with him tomorrow.

He took a deep breath as he looked at the quiche in front of him and turned to Snowy. So...ready? He closes his eyes, prepares himself and takes a bite.

Spoiler

Misty thinks for a moment but comes up empty-handed. (Or was that empty-headed?) "Um... I don't think so?"

Spoiler

Misty feels especially pressured to perform with Sky Lynx watching her. She doesn't think about it beforehand, she just... does it.

Spoiler

Snowy was torn. On the one hand, it would be nothing short of a grand gesture to their friendship if he tried the quiche first. On the other hand, that was only true because his earlier comment about passable first attempts was an outright falsehood; The first time he had tried to cook, he'd added two tablespoons of salt instead of two teaspoons. So he elected to cut off smaller portions of slice, quietly watching as Static went first.

The first thing Static Signal realized after taking a bite was that he was still alive. His culinary palette was able to surmise that the quiche was...okay. It wasn't disgusting like some more recurring aspects of his diet but it wasn't a delight to his tastebuds like the quiche Anchors Away made nor some other particularly nice dishes he had. The quiche Static Signal prepared achieved a lofty pinnacle of mediocrity.

Sky Lynx scowled, "You continue to fail and disappoint, Night Cap." Pendulumnae saluted, "Requesting permission to handle the trainee, sir!" Sky Lynx paused for a moment, then nodded. Pendulumnae walked towards Night Cap, "You can't overthink this. You need to more naturally..." Pendulumnae suddenly tossed Night Cap with her magic!

Spoiler

Static chuckled as he noticed Snowy waiting for him to try first.

Well, not as good as Anchors...certainly not going to be opening my own resteraunt any time soon. But I think you'll survive it. It's just...thought that counts, right?

"I was just waiting for it to cool!" Snowy protests, taking a few bites. "Decidedly not bad." He agrees. "The eggs will hit my stomach eventually, though. Say, how was training with Sands?"

Are dreams whatever you make of them or are they perhaps something more?

Night Cap found himself in a massive, dimly lit room. The walls and ceiling were too far away to see but the floor was an oddity. The floorboards were as black as pitch while the the grooves between them were a coffee-like brown. Up ahead was a pale pink earth pony mare with a two tone pink mane. When her turquoise eyes looked at Night Cap, there was a look of shock and desperation,
"Who are...are you Night Cap? Get me out of here!"

Maple ran over to the fallen Night Cap when he didn't get up right away. Getting down on her belly (which wasn't that big of a drop) Maple could tell he was still breathing.

Rhapsody watches as Night Cap hits the floor hard and doesn't immediately get back up; she hehs softly, keeping her desires in check to not make a scene in front of Maple and Misty, but mentally she's down right giddy at the continued failure, things going exactly as she felt they would, and shakes her head. She looks over to Sky Lynx, wondering if he's still worried about the potential of 'strengthening an enemy' because this is what Night Cap is best at; failure and disappointment. She walks over to Misty. "Glad to see you got it at least. Two out of three is pretty good. Night Cap seems to prefer it to be nap time though."

Static grimaces. Training was more anger management than physical training. Though, trying to clean a place like Skivey's takes quite a bit of physical endurance too. But, yeah, mostly anger management. It took me to...unpleasant places.

Static hesitated to go on. He gave a deep sigh. If you ask, I'll tell. Otherwise I'd kinda like to forget about it.

"I'm trapped and can't get out. I've been trying to get help for the past month but those I'd usually contact are cut off and others are too distracted by what's already going on in their dream for them to notice me. You'll know how to find me, right? I don't know how much longer I'll last if no one finds me."

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Misty looks down at Night Cap. "Oh, was he that tired? He didn't seem like it when we were running. But, this training is pretty tough, guess it must have really worn him out. Well, I hope he feels better when he wakes up!"

"Give us some space. We'll attend to him medically. Ten laps for everyone! Except you, Pendulumnae. Help me with this."

Snowy caught a name, and was going to comment on how attempting to clean the Skivey's diner HE knew of was an excellent exercise in mental discipline (like polishing a pebble until you can see your reflection in it), but he could tell that it wasn't the time. He studied his quiche for a minute, weighing his options. "I don't need the past you to sort out the you of the here and now." He says, not really meaning for it to be said aloud. He pops another bite of quiche into his mouth. "You can check your pasht at the door, we don't need it. Hey, thish broccoli tashtes pretty good!"

Thanks! I'm glad you like it.

It...isn't really so much about past me vs. present me. It's just...issues.

Static leans back on his couch and sighs heavily.

Putting it as succinctly as possible? I was the runt of my class. The bigger kids took advantage of that. Whenever I fought back, I was the one who got into trouble.

My father left when I was five because...well...he may not even be my father. Never did find out for certain.

I've been on two dates total before I met Anchors. One already had a boyfriend two times bigger than me and left me counting my teeth. The other just needed a "plus one" for the night and I never saw her again. So you can see why someone as genuine as Anchors appeals to me. Took me long enough to try again

Aaaaaand...that's me. Several low paying jobs and a night of corporate espionage later...that's me!

"My name is..." Suddenly, the mare broke out in several congested coughs as she started to sink into the floorboards like it was quicksand. Night Cap could feel the floor under his own hooves becoming more unstable. *cough cough* "Please! Help me!"

Then, Night Cap woke up.

Light Fantastic suddenly coughed two heavily congested coughs. Odd. She hadn't been sick before and afterwards she felt perfectly fine. Silky Double-Time looked over,
"Are you okay?" Steel Flint and Hazel Naught also looked over in concern.

When Night Cap woke up, he realized he hurt in his everything. Sky Lynx was standing over him with a not quite as stern expression as usual. "Nothing broken but with these bruises you will not be able to participate the rest of the night. If you require transport home, it will be provided."

Snowy leans forward, letting his fork drop to his plate with a clink, and lightly knocks Static on the back of the head with an outstretched hoof. "Did you hear anything I just said? Check your past at the door." He leans back again, levitating his dish off to one side and settling in more comfortably. "The past's one great use is explaining the present. I don't need to explain you any more than I already can, so let's just leave our past behind, hm? It is, after all, behind us."

Easier said than done. When you've been holding on to something so hard for so long, the muscles forget how to let go.

Spoiler

But you're right. Enough about that for now. Today's been a good day. Static looks at the clock. Shame it has to end.

"And yet here we sit." Snowy says making a wide gesture to the room around him. "And besides, for once you have a reason to expect tomorrow to be about as good as today, instead of about as dull, or about as bad."

True! Static said with a grin. Life certainly has been interesting since joining STOMP if nothing else. Static looked around at the apartment. Sweet Luna, I should probably invest in a bed!

"I... I don't know," said Light Fantastic, "I was feeling perfectly fine a moment ago."

"The old one didn't make it here?

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Silky Double-Time gently placed a hoof on Light Fantastic's head, "Think you can continue?"

Sky Lynx spread his wings wide. "I forbid you from continuing training tonight."

Static chuckles, patting his couch with his hoof a couple times. This is the old one.

Snowy grimaces. "Buy a bed, and try not to backslide. No matter what happens."

Hearing Night Cap's voice maple comes rushing in....

"ARE YOU OKAY MR. NIGHT CAP!?!" ... she says while running in place. Having not exactly finished her laps yet.

"I think so," said Light Fantastic, "I feel fine now."

Ahh lifes extravagant luxuries! Static said dramatically. I don't know. Maybe I will get a bed. A bed sounds really nice, he said with a yawn.

Thing is though, right now, I can live without a bed. I can live with bottom shelf food. I can live without...stuff. He lets out a slightly longer yawn.

But what...what if I get these nice things? What if I grow used to having them? What if I get to the point where I wouldn't know what to do without these nice things?

And then what if I get fired? What if my anger gets the better of me again? What if this monster I feel inside myself takes over and the "final warning" I got from Ms. Iron becomes "your fired?" What if after getting so used to nice things...I lose it all?

Sky Lynx scowled at Maplejack, "Your laps aren't finished. As for you Night Cap, you should have seen yourself. You have exactly one more chance. If you can't prove you have what it takes, then you won't be doing anything else tonight."

Spoiler

"Friends worry about each other Mr. Night Cap."
Maple smiled, before rushing back out to finish her laps with Miss Monsoon.

"Where do you live, Night Cap?"

"Well, you'd have a few options. You could steal it all back, in a variety of ways." Snowy says, sounding completely normal. "Personally, I find that living in a quasi-debased state is like riding a unicycle: You never really lose your touch, once you've tried it. So you could backslide, and mourn the loss of the life you had. Let it chain you to the entry-level position you'd find to pay for your daily food needs. Boldly stay in one place for the rest of your life, cultivating...nothing, really. I'm running out of good descriptions." He shrugs. "You could earn it all back. Either beg for forgiveness, or force your way back in, somehow. You'd probably end up as the villain of your own life, though. Or--and hear me out here, this one's the really silly one--you could accept that all good things in life come with risks, and play the game. You know tomorrow is going to be good. The next day is a little more uncertain. Spend half your time ensuring that the next day will be just as good as today, and the other half enjoying how good it is. I think the description 'fighting for your life' has a lot of merit in this situation."

Sounds easy. I guess it's only to be expected that a corpse that suddenly becomes alive would fear becoming a corpse again, though. Static pauses. What a perfectly odd way of putting it! Static sighs. Don't mind me. It's late. I say...things.

Don't want to go to sleep though. It's been *yawn* such a perfect day!

"Still, we'll need sleep for tomorrow." Snowy stands up, moving towards the door. "Static..." Snowy pauses. He wants to say that they should do this in a few days, at his apartment. But his instincts tell him not to interfere too much with Static's thoughts on leaving Callabuston at a moment's notice. "Goodnight."

Sky Lynx frowned, "Bubonic Inn? That's no place for someone of your current condition." "I know somepony who has a spare room. I can take you to the inn to get your stuff." Pendulumnae gently lifted Night Cap with her magic and walked out the door.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
As she runs along, Misty turns to Maplejack. How was Night Cap doing? He looked like he had a rough landing. Rhapsody said he was taking a nap so I guess he must have been pretty tired.

"We're going to the inn to get your stuff. Night Cap...why were you there tonight? Do you have no formal training at all?"

Goodnight, Static mutters, barely conscious. He was in dreamland before Snowy even closed the door behind him.

Static found himself in a field of jagged black rock. Yellow chain lightning flowed up like a Jacobs ladder against the crimson red sky.

Back for more?

A shudder of fear went down Static's spine. What do you want from me? he cried out.

Dazzling Midnight stepped out of the shadows, dark magic flowing all around her. What the buck are you?

Such language! You really should watch that. Static's mouth levitated off of his face. His eyes widened in horror as Dazzling Midnight telekinetically held it in front of him. Run, little foal!

Static backed away, turned and started to run.

"The first step is that you need to not let your nightmares wake you up. When you're facing the blackest depths of your mind, you need to run towards them, not away."

Static stopped as the sound of Night Cap's voice reverberated through his mind.

If I can handle dream walking, at some point maybe I can handle those fears. Who knows? I may just wind up stronger for it.

His own words helped strengthen his resolve. I see. I'm only dreaming. That means you can't really hurt me.

Dazzling Midnight laughed, dashing in to Static and holding him up by his throat. Static kicked futilely at her, trying desperately to breath. Little foal, if you wish to dreamwalk, that means your dreams will be just as dangerous as the waking world. It will be even easier for me to hurt you here now!

Static managed a lucky kick to Dazzling's face. He landed on his hooves and stood defiant. Well then, I guess that means I better learn how to fight then, doesn't it?

Dazzling Midnight laughed. Oh this is cute! Well it seems you're no longer afraid of me then. Maybe I should drop this disguise and show you who I truly am!

Static was face to face with a darker version of himself. His coat was a darker shade of yellow and his eyes glowed red. You can lie to Dazzling. You still believe this is all just a dream. But lie to me all you wish, I know you know the truth when you hear it.

Static could see himself beating up a prone Silent Belle. That's not who I am! I've learned from my mistakes. It's never going to happen again.

Hardly the point
his darker self chided.

As more of the mist cleared he saw Anchors Away looking on in horror as she saw what he did to Silent Belle. You didn't tell me about this!Anchors! No, I can explain. This isn't... You're a monster!

STOP IT! Static screamed at his darker self. It's just a dream.

And yet you still know it's true, dark Static said. Do you really think she could love someone like you?

Again, Static took a step back.

"The first step is that you need to not let your nightmares wake you up. When you're facing the blackest depths of your mind, you need to run towards them, not away."

Static's eyes narrowed in determination. He gave a snort and pawed the ground in a challenge.

I guess we'll find out. It's not something I even intended on hiding forever. She'll find out...and then I'll be rid of you!

NEVER!!!!

Static pawed at the ground once more before charging his darker self.

Static woke to the buzzing of his alarm. With a deep breath, he shook the dream away. What the buck?

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Sky Lynx cleared his throat and addressed the remaining STOMP members, "Defense is needed first since it is a primary fundamental. However, not everything can be solved by running away. The final exercise will be showing you a basic counter flip. This will allow you to use your opponent's momentum against them instead of purely relying upon brute strength. Rhapsody will attempt to grab me from behind and I will show you the proper way to shift your weight. Rhapsody will obviously know how to land from this."

Spoiler

Rhapsody nods to Sky Lynx, showing the other two what she can do. She's quick as she moves to grapple the larger griffon, getting a good hold on him. A small and quick struggle occurs between the pair; as Maple should know sometimes one has to put on a good show when in front of others. Of course Sky Lynx wins out, the black pegasus not putting her all into for a demonstration as she gets tossed as Sky Lynx counters, and with the greatest of ease she recovers and lands, looking like she's ready for more, before relaxing and looking over to the pair.

Spoiler

"Mr. Night Cap seemed to be okay... but I don't think being knocked unconscious is ever really a good thing." Maple whispered to Miss Monsoon while watching the counter flip demonstration

"For the sake of size, Rhapsody, you switch to Maplejack. I'll train Misty Monsoon."

Spoiler

After everypony was reassured that Light Fantastic was okay, bowling continued. While they all improved over the night, Light Fantastic and Silky Double-Time pulled ahead for the night's win. Steel Flint remarked, "While there's a fair bit we still need to learn, I'm glad you decided to join us. Hope we can do this again some time"

Pendulumnae moved at a swift pace, almost like she was running, "Evasion and resistance have their worth but they aren't everything. Then again, different ponies have different strengths. I do apologize for my hoof in your injuries. I've often found that a surprise causes everything to fall into place after training since it's more like a real world scenario. But that's not what happened this time. Also, you should have gotten yourself checked over after a nasty fall. No wonder you weren't at 100% tonight. So...what do you do for a living?"

Spoiler

Maple knew this, she could do this

While Maple might be ready, so was Rhapsody, and Rhapsody had much more training in this regard.

Spoiler

"Um... gosh... is it really all right to do this?" Misty was a little hesistant to grapple with the griffon.

Spoiler

While Maplejack expertly made the toss and Rhapsody easily recovered, Misty Monsoon was noticeably less successful. With her ineffectual struggles, she soon realized the entire room was silent. Everypony was looking at her. Sky Lynx was clearly in position to be tossed but was looking at her with an intense frown, "Are you even trying?"

Spoiler

Pendulumnae lost no speed to her stride as she entered the inn and headed to where Night Cap said his room was. "Hopefully a desk job should have better health benefits. If things have improved, you should take advantage of that. As far as my job..." Pendulumnae whispered so others nearby wouldn't hear. "I'm about to set you down so that can grab your stuff."

Amber Spark managed to connect enough tiles to the new grooves to make a short wall around the initial piece that made the "floor". Looking at the time, it had gotten quite late. Making sure everything was labeled so it wouldn't be disturbed, she clocked out for the night. What wonders might these pieces reveal? What mysteries might she discover? What...was that sound? Standing at her door, she heard a noise until it dawned on her. Her puzzle alarm was seemingly displeased that it had not been properly deactivated since Amber had not returned home until now.

Spoiler

Misty gave a sheepish look. "Ahahaha... sorry?" She didn't want to disappoint the honored old griffin...

Spoiler

Misty Monsoon cleanly flipped Sky Lynx over as if she had been doing this her whole life. After rolling to recovery, Sky Lynx stood proud. "See, this is the profound excellence one can achieve from my training. I'm proud that..." He looked around at the rest of the gym. "What are you gawking at? Do you want to run more laps?" As they went back to what they were doing, Sky Lynx and the STOMP team practiced a few more times before they were dismissed for the night.

Pendulumnae blinked in disbelief. "If this was some sort of horror themed hotel, I'd say this was beautiful. It's not...so I figure we better go now." Pendulumnae lifted Night Cap and his luggage as she walked out. "I guess I should thank you for the exercise. Haven't done this kind of lifting for a while. So, what are your plans from here?"

"I get a curious tickle in my lungs when I'm in here too long."

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
"You've got a curious amount of optimism. Usually that's a good thing but..." "Give me all your bits and nopony gets hurt!" A pegasus stallion stepped out of a dark alley and threatened Pendulumnae. She looked the assailant up and down then continued her conversation. "So anyway, the new job should be good for you. You might want to ask for an advance if you're low on funds." "Don't ignore me, I'm robbing you!" Pendulumnae stopped and stared the assailant down, glaring in annoyance. "I'm trying to have a conversation here. If you had a lick of sense, you'd know you're outnumbered, outmatched, and simply outclassed. I'm going to give you until the count of ten to decide if you want to go to the police or the hospital. One. Two..." After a brief hesitation, the stallion bolted. "Whew. I almost said 'police or fire department'. Hmm. That actually might be useful in some situations."

"You should have asked. The museum has a good reputation but you never leave that to chance. You think you'll be okay or are you skipping work tomorrow?"

"And if you do sleep on a mattress, at least it won't crawl away.

That's depressing. Well, looks like we're here."
Pendulumnae pointed at a large warehouse. "The pony who owns it converted it to an apartment. The outside is drab but they fixed the inside up real nice and pastel. I helped with a lot of the heavy lifting so they let me room for free. Since this place is a bit of a secret, it's usually not too populated so I'm sure they have space." She waved to the clerk in the lobby then walked to a room. Night Cap saw that it was sparse with a small dresser and simple bed but at least it was sanitary. "You need anything before I go? You mentioned not eating much so I might get you something in the morning."

Snowy wound his way back to his apartment, up 5 flights of stairs, and into his rooms. He viola was still resting atop the piano where he had left it, so he put it back in its case with a sigh. He wanted to pull his hair out, a little. He had no earthly idea what to think of today. It had been so...ordinary. And yet, so rich. There had been fun, and happiness, and frustration, discussion and banter and chatter. It was, in its own way, more exhausting than fight an evil queen of music who had possessed the body of your friend and two dozen other odd ponies to threaten the safety of the free world. Was normal life always like this? He'd been away so long (if he'd ever been there at all), he couldn't remember. He stumbled under the sheets, and fell asleep quickly, stumbling his way into a dreamless sleep...

Pendulumnae smiled and walked out the door, "It was the least I could do. Remember, life's about opportunities."

Maple went home and gave Saccharine Sweet a hug goodnight.

After bidding her companions good night, Misty took off to the night skies. It was understandable, but still somewhat disappointing, that they couldn't go out to eat with Night Cap afterwards. She hoped he would feel better after a good night's sleep.

She flew along over the waterfront district until she found an inviting rooftop, where she landed and curled up for the night. The sound of the waves rolling in soon lukled her into sleep; when the morning came, the sun's warm touch on her flank would wake her bright and early for the next day's adventure.

As the other two left without a word Rhapsody was somewhat disappointed. She shook her head some and looks over to Sky Lynx. "Well, that went about as well as I expected." She huffs.

Sky Lynx frowned, "It feels like disharmony is being spread among your group. While Night Cap might possibly be incompetent, he doesn't strike me as corrupt from tonight's interactions. I can't see an infiltrator trying a final time after serious injury. It's leaving me with a lot to think about." With that, he waved a wing in dismissal, then flew to his office.

Rhapsody nods silently and heads home after being dismissed.

Maple tossed and turned all night, fitful dreams. Tall dark, wings, laughing. Her new friends hurt and sad. Shaken awake, Maple shimmies over to her lamp and presses the button to turn it on.

Opening her locket Maple looked at the picture inside. "...Training was supposed to be to help us. ..." Maple closed her locket and checked her watch, not doing anything after training had left her with more free time then she had planned for -and sleep wasn't happening.

Getting out of her bunny slippers and pjs, Maple left the sugar shack and went for a walk.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
The walk did a lot of good to clear Maplejack's head and she returned for a restful night. The rest of the STOMP team closed out their nightly routines and drifted off to slumber. Eventually, morning came and each prepared for the brand new day.

Night Cap awoke to a loud knocking on his bedroom door. He heard Pendulumnae holler, "Are you ready for a robbery of flavor?!?"

Misty Monsoon awoke just in time for a flyer blow into her face. It was an ad for the Pancake Pilferer and it had a coupon for 'Buy 5 pancakes and get the 6th free'.

Maple awoke well rested and came bouncing down the stairs just in time to see her saddlebags being topped up with new candies.

"Good Beautiful Morning Saccharine Sweet!" Maple smiled, noticing that the pancake shop flyer was out on the counter next to her pack.

"I got to talk to a nice lady... Miss Standard, from the marketing department and she'd love to talk to you about some sort of arrangement, and she gave me this. I think I might head over there today before work and check it out, nice helpful directions on the back. Thank you Very much. BYE BYE!"

Miss Sweet just smiled and waved farewell to the small excited pegasus, as she hurried off.

Misty reads over the ad. She didn't even know if she could eat five pancakes, but the sixth one was free! That was not the kind of offer one could simply pass up.

She checks to make sure she has enough bits, then takes off like a hungry rocket.

Static tried to shake the nightmare off as he went over to the kitchen. He took a slice of the quiche with some coffee.

The quiche, while not as good as Anchor's, was still much better than the tasteless oat bars he was used to. He was also glad he upgraded his coffee. While not necessarily, gourmet, it was better than what he used to get. This stuff actually helped him to wake up.

After breakfast and a shower, he put some more coffee in a travel cup and headed off to work.

Pendulumnae gleefully picked up Night Cap with her magic and galloped off. After trekking across the city, they arrived at the Pancake Pilferer. Jail bars were thematically painted over the windows. Upon walking into the building, a grey crystal pony stallion popped in front of them. He wore a black domino mask, a black and white striped shirt, a dark blue bandana on his head, and an obviously fake curly mustache. With the goofiest "evil" grin, he asked, "Are you ready for a robbery of flavor?!?"

Spoiler

Maple didn't immediately recognize the back end of the pony in front of her, But as she came to a stop, she did recognize the voice of a pony not so very much further ahead ... floating in the air was Mr. Night Cap.

"Excellent Flying Mr. Night Cap, I'm happy you are feeling better!" Maple said as she got a better look at - and remembered Miss. Pendulumnae

Following the conveniently placed map on the flyer, Misty arrives at the restaurant. Spotting Maplejack, she lands just a short distance away. "Hiya Maplejack! Are you here for the pancake special too?"

Static was absorbed in his own thoughts as he walked to the keep. Did last night's nightmare put him any closer to dreamwalking, or was it just another nightmare? Does he still even want to dream walk? Night Cap made it sound rather dangerous.

And what was he going to tell Anchors Away? He knew what he needed to say...but...how does a pony just bring this sort of stuff up?

He thought about all these things as he walked: Dreamwalking, Anchors Away, making a better quiche next time, Night Cap flying along behind a unicorn...

Night Cap flying behind a...WHA!?

Static started off in a dead sprint chasing after the two. He wasn't able to catch up to them until he saw them going into a building with jail bars over the windows.

Oh Night Cap, you poor fool! What have you done? Static muttered. He walks into the building to see tables with waiters dressed up in prison outfits.

What in the...? He walks around trying to find Night Cap. He finds him sitting beside Maple Jack and a unicorn and a pegasus he doesn't know.

Night Cap, Maple Jack...he nodded to each in turn. What is this place? And who are your new friends?

"Oh Yes, Miss Standard even gave me a coupon." Maple answered Misty, as they sat down just in time to see Static enter as well.

~~

"Good morning Mr. Signal! These are my new friends." Maple waved, and then went back to kicking her hooves a little while sitting on the Bench seat.

Uh huh! Static turned to Pendulumnae and Misty giving each a nod in turn. Nice to meet you, Maple's friends. I'm Static.

Static perked up. PANCAKES!? Static looks around and shrinks a little after his outburst. Eh hem...yeah. Been a while since I've had them too. You think they have some with blueberries?

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
The crystal pony server blinked in confusion at Night Cap's verbose greeting. However, his dumbstruck expression was interrupted by Pendulumnae announcing, "I have a ticket from visiting the Equestrian Expedition Keep, I've got a Keep employee right here, and several of his friends have arrived so I'd like a discount on your princess sized stack of pancakes." The server's eyes opened wide with joy, "Right away!" and he ran into the back. Setting Night Cap down, Pendulumnae addressed the group with, "Hello Night Cap's friends. I'm Pendulumnae. Are all of you Keep employees?"

Eeyup! I work at the theatre.

Static looks from Pendulumnae to Misty and back to Pendulumnae. I don't recognize you two. Are you both from Sky Lynx's?

"Oh! My name's Misty Monsoon and I work for the Keep too. I'm going to be the navigator for the expedition today. Pleased to meet you, Static!" Misty says cheerfully.

Misty, nice to meet you! So what do you do on a normal day for the keep?

"I'm a weather pony. I've been assigned to the Caballuston weather team!" She thinks for a moment.

The Keep has its own weather team? Yeah, you know what? Buck it! I'm not surprised by anything anymore. Can't wait to get to know you, Misty.

Maple grinned, if things work out the Sugar Shack could get business like this from the Keep. All thanks to Maple pointing out the error on the floor plan. Something that had started out worrying her so much was turning into something wonderful.

Her grin softened slightly hearing the name of the pancake special...

"Being a weather pony is really fun!" Misty bubbles. "Everything's done by schedule so it doesn't get too confusing. When it needs to rain, we're there to make it rain."

Sure, sounds fascinating. Still, I think I rather keep my hooves on the ground where they belong. No offense!

Pendulumnae arched an eyebrow, "Hooves on the ground? Where's your sense of adventure?"

Static grinned at the unicorn. I've had more adventure in the past couple days than most ponies have their entire lives. I doubt tomorrow will be any duller. I think I'll manage just fine with my hooves on the ground!

By the way,
he said turning to the others, Mr. Sands said that from now on I'll be training with the rest of you. So...what ever it is you did last night, no spoilers!

"I hope so." Maple added ... under her breath

That bad, huh? Static grins. Can't wait!

"Oh no the training was excellent." Maple smiled as she tilted her head at Miss Pendulumnae - for Mr. Signal's benefit.

Spoiler
"Umm... I dunno how to describe it, but... after you do it for a while, it just makes sense?"

"Oh no the training was excellent." Maple smiled as she tilted her head at Miss Pendulumnae - for Mr. Signal's benefit.

That's...not what I meant. I expect that training's going to be rigorous, painful and all around heart breaking? Given all the time I sit behind a projector all day, it's probably exactly the kind of regimen I need...even if I do wind up regretting saying that later.

Yeah, not to bust your bubble, but my father also told me he'd always be there. Adults lie to foals, Night!

Maple smiled, "I've seen Mr. Night Cap fly twice now, Mr. Signal... It's not a lie if it takes effort, or help from friends. Things sometimes just happen differently than we expect, when we're little."

Maple continued to sit on the bench swinging her little hooves.

"Yeah, maybe sometime I can give Night Cap a lift and show him what it's like to work with clouds! If he's not too heavy," Misty adds.

He's an earth pony! Static said gravely. Sure, take him on a flight, but don't...on your life...set him alone on a cloud.

I'm not saying this to be mean. We're earth ponies. We do not fly. We do not walk on clouds...and we can't telekinetically move film canisters!

Static remembers yesterday how he saw Night Cap trying to use unicorn magic on a film tin. Heaven help him if he tried to jump off a building or a cliff while trying to be a pegasus!

Some fantasy's can be nice. Other's can be deadly. Reality's harsh, but it's what we have to work with.

And for Luna's sake, be glad of what you do have! You have abilities I'd love to have. You know what I'm talking about. You can do so much more than fly!

Static then caught on to something he hadn't noticed before. Night Cap seemed considerably more bruised than the others. His eyes narrowed as he studied him. He leaned in closer in a whisper.

Also speaking of fantasies, don't count Rhapsody as one of your friends. I can't fathom why, but she does...not..like...you.

Static sighs. Just promise me that if you must try and fly like a pegasus, you won't jump off anything mortally high while doing it.

"My goodness, how many pancakes are they making back there."
Maple questioned aloud, more to change the subject than any real notion of wanting to hurry and eat.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Pony feathers, Night! You really need to cut out this one meal a day thing. It can't be good for ya!

"If earth ponies weren't meant to fly, why do we have helicopters and blimps? Sometimes things require a lateral approach." Pendulumnae very calmly interjected.

Only helicopter I've ever heard about was made by a pink pony in Ponyville that has a propensity for positively crazy projects.

And I hardly trust those blimps either.

Earth ponies are meant to be earth bound. Otherwise we'd have been born with wings.

Pendulumnae stood on the table and looked Static Signal directly in the eye. Then she smoothly backflipped and landed back in her seat. "I disagree about needing wings to be airborne."

Static squinted in a "are you serious" type look at Pendulumnae. That's jumping...not flying.

Pendulumnae pondered for a moment, "Do you have magic?"

Maple was getting nervous with all this talk about flying.

"We all start somewhere Mr. Signal."

Static turns his patented "are you bucking serious" look to Maple. Are you saying that if earth ponys practiced jumping enough, they'd eventually learn to fly?

Maple Returned the stare in kind.

"Actualy, Mr. Signal... I'm wondering if they have Cyder here."

Pendulumnae cleared her throat, "There's more than one way to husk corn. While an earth pony wasn't born with flight, there's alternative options. To shift things a bit, I gotta that museum is pretty top notch. Didn't have time to check out the theater when I went but the dinosaur exhibit was pretty cool."

Don't tempt me, Maple Static returned with a dangerous sneer. Sun's barely risen and already it's been a crap day!

[replace, replace, replace]

Static blew out a long exhausted breath. You know what? Cancel my order. I'll see you all at the Keep.

Static leaves, focusing his anger in each step. There was a fair distance to the keep. Hopefully that would be enough to blow off the steam.

Static feels himself get dragged back into the restaurant and plopped back down in his chair, "I don't like doing that but breakfast is a nice thing. We're gonna enjoy it."

"Oh! I love dinosaurs!"

Static feels himself get dragged back into the restaurant and plopped back down in his chair, "I don't like doing that but breakfast is a nice thing. We're gonna enjoy it."

Static levels the deadliest glare he can muster at Pendulumnae. Don't do that again, he growled. I've only had one day of anger management and I'm already using all my tricks. You don't want to see me run out. Static gets back up again and heads for the door.

"I'm Sorry too Mr. Signal. But I'm tired of people picking on Mr. Night Cap." Maple said.

*sigh* "The way I did it may have come off rude but I'd like to be nice to you. I'd say this would be a better way to work on leveling your anger. I don't even know what I said."

"It was a low blow and I'm sorry I said it, I'm actually really proud of you Mr. Signal." Maple said, still not ready to bring her voice above a hushed tone.

"...Do you like dinosaurs? " Misty asks Night Cap.

"Oh! I didn't know they were still around. Have you reslly seen dinosaurs before? Misty is amazed by this sudden revelation.

*sigh* "The way I did it may have come off rude but I'd like to be nice to you. I'd say this would be a better way to work on leveling your anger. I don't even know what I said."

Static stops mid stride. Last time I felt a unicorn yank me back like that was when I was in high school, and it ended with several of my ribs getting kicked in.

"It was a low blow and I'm sorry I said it, I'm actually really proud of you Mr. Signal." Maple said, still not ready to bring her voice above a hushed tone.

It's been hard, Maple. I can't tell you how many times I've come soooo close to folding. So just...no apologies. Just...don't do it again.

Night Cap has a look of genuine cluelessness.

"Aww, but you'll miss pancakes! I thought we were all having fun here."

Static shakes it off and sits back down. If it's okay, can we change the subject?

"We have a subject?"

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
"Understood. I won't do it again." Suddenly, a klaxon sounded through the restaurant. In the kitchen were two echoing stomps and Pendulumnae shouted, "Get down!" First, a large platter landed on the table. Then, a stack of pancakes landed on the platter. The stack was taller than Maplejack. In fact, it was well over twice as tall as Pendulumnae. She stared at the pancakes with hungry, ecstatic glee.

Static ducked in panic. WHAT THE BUCK!!!! He peeked over the table as the tray and pancakes landed and blew out a long sigh. Well, suddenly I'm not sure I'm going to need the rest of the coffee I brought with me. Sure could use a cid...side order of maple syrup though.

"Waiter, bring maple syrup! Also, bring honey and peanut butter!" Pendulumnae was making no attempt to hide her excitement.

"NO NEED!" Maple reached into her saddle bag and handed everyone one of Saccharine Sweet's fresh new maple candies.

"These are only minutes old, put them on your pancakes and you'll be set. But yes Mr. Waiter, please bring everything." Maple added as the poor fellow spun in circles

Peanut butter? On pancakes? Really? Static tried unsuccessfully to hide his disgust at the thought of peanut butter on pancakes. But then again...Pony feathers! Why not? I've eaten weirder.

Static shakes it off and sits back down. If it's okay, can we change the subject?

"We have a subject?"

Umm...I'm quite taken with that whole peanut butter on pancakes thing. I mean...I've had syrup on pancakes, fruit topping on pancakes, powdered sugar on pancakes...peanut butter is entirely new.

Static stops Night Cap from digging in too quickly. Hold on, Night. I think we really need to try this peanut butter thing. I just don't think it would be right to rob ourselves of this opportunity.

"We have a subject?"

Umm...I'm quite taken with that whole peanut butter on pancakes thing. I mean...I've had syrup on pancakes, fruit topping on pancakes, powdered sugar on pancakes...peanut butter is entirely new.

Static stops Night Cap from digging in too quickly. Hold on, Night. I think we really need to try this peanut butter thing. I just don't think it would be right to rob ourselves of this opportunity.

Not even sure what that is. But I've eaten weirder too. Ever been to a place called Skivey's?

Then he remembered Night Cap was staying at a place called the Boubonic Inn and that maybe this wasn't a contest he wanted to have.

Anyway, it's been so long since I've had pancakes. We should definetly try it all. Peanut Butter, maple syrup, blueberry topping...what else is there?

His mind far away from the meltdown he just had, Static's face was now beaming with foalish glee at the thought of having a reunion with his long lost childhood friend, the pancake.

Maple wondered what everyone was going to like more, the candies she gave out, or the peanut butter.

Uhh...it's normal diner type food. But give it a week or so before you go there. Skivey's in the middle of some...restructuring.

As in the whole structure should be burnt to the ground and rebuilt, Static thinks to himself.

Maple wasn't waiting for anything the waiter was bringing back, so she grabbed two pancakes while they were hot, and slipped her candy in between them to let it melt. Sitting quietly waiting until everypony else had what they needed, before beginning to eat.

Misty stops covering her head with her hooves once the klaxon stops. She wanted to hear more from Night Cap about dinosaurs, and perhaps ask what kaelmite pods were, but pancakes!!

A group of servers wheeled out carts with honey, berries, peanut butter, whipped cream, butter, and various syrups. Though lifted a few pancakes onto the plates of others, she swiftly diverted her attention to spreading peanut butter and honey on various pancakes like sandwiches. Between joyous bites, she announced to the server, "Oh, I think somepony wanted coffee, too."

Maple ate one of her candies quietly while everyone started getting ready to eat.

Static still wasn't too hungry after the quiche. But since it had been so long since he'd had pancakes, he was going to enjoy this if he had to ram the stack down his own throat.

He took one of the ones with peanut butter, one with syrup and one with blueberries. Out of difference to Maplejack, he also tried one with one of her candies.

Oh sweet Luna! This...this is...so...good!

Static smiles at Night Cap. Pretty good, eh? I could get so spoiled here.

I never thought I'd say this, he says,
turning his attention to Pendulumnae, but thanks for pulling me back.

Static chuckled. Once you get your first paycheck, we really need to get you on a schedule where you get three squares a day. This one meal a day thing just...but then look who's calling the kettle black.

Misty doesn't have much to say while her face is full of pancake. She makes sure to try out every topping available.

Static gives Night Cap a squinting confused look. Square pan...wha? You...you're really litteral minded, aren't you?

This was better, her friends happily eating breakfast together. Maple smiled, and went back to swinging her hooves a little while she watched everyone eat. Mr. Night Cap seemed to be enjoying himself, and Mr. Signal seemed to have calmed down. Everyone was having a good time and it filled Maple with a warm glow. The Quest in the caves was going to go fine.

At least with the three ponies that were with her now who were going. Miss Fantastic, Maple liked her... she was a beautiful and nice lady. Maple was worried about the rest of the party though. Good thing she had a nearly full supply of sweets.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
It seemed like there would be little more conversation now that everypony was eating. Having already had breakfast before he'd even gotten there, it didn't take long until Static was full. He still tried to take little nibbles to pass time until everpony else was finished. While the peanut butter and syrup pancakes were good, he still gravitated to his foalhood favorite, blueberry pancakes.

Absentmindedly using a spare pancake to point at Misty Monsoon, Pendulumnae asked, "Something about your voice. You aren't local, are you?"

After weeks of uneasy dreams, Light Fantastic awoke to well rested bliss. It was a little cloudy but otherwise quite pleasant outside. Decent enough weather for the later expedition. What could possibly go wrong?

Static looks amused at Night Cap as he attacks the pancakes. He wonders, if he were to edge his hoof near Night Caps pancakes, would Night Cap try to bite it off?

He really shouldn't. But he just can't help himself. Slowly, with a mischievous grin plastered on his face, Static inches his hoof near Night Cap's plate.

Another day, another smashed alarm clock. Things seemed quite routine for Rhapsody. That was, until she heard a loud crash outside!

Spoiler

With a pancake sitting on her head like a beret, Misty swallows a mouthful and responds. "Oh, yeah, I only arrived here in Caballuston a month or so ago. I'm actually from Butterfly Island."

Light Fantastic stretched as she crawled out of her bed.

"So nice to finally have a good night's sleep," she said to no one in particular, "Only thing that'd make it better is coffee!"

She happily trotted over to her coffee pot and began to make that sweet elixir she (so she thought) needed to function.

Static chuckles and withdraws his hoof. Just messin' with ya. Hey, if you want these, he says indicating his blueberry pancakes, I'm afraid I overestimated my appetite.

Pendulumnae seemed quite impressed by Misty Monsoon's reveal, "Wow, that's pretty far away. What brought you around these parts?"

Misty shrugged. "I left and headed for Equestria, and this is where I ended up?"

Pendulumnae nodded as she munched a pancake,
"Cool. What was it like traveling across Equestria and seeing the sights?"

Static's smile at the good natured ribbing suddenly turns upside down into a look of pity.

All this time he thought he had it bad living off tasteless oat bars and frozen chimicherrychangas. But at least he'd never missed a meal, meager as they sometimes were. He just hoped that now that Night Cap had a steady income, that would mean a steady diet as well.

Static took a deep swig of coffee and tried to find somewhere else to direct his attention.

Butterfly Island? Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that pretty much an island of isolationists? What made you decide to leave?

Rhapsody gets up groggily as she hears the crash, steeping over the collecting pile of debris from previous clocks... she swears she'll clean the up one day.. maybe her next day off... She heads outside to see what the commotion is.

Pendulumnae nodded as she munched a pancake, "Cool. What was it like traveling across Equestria and seeing the sights?"

Misty seems confused. "Across?... Ummm... this was the first place I came to."

Butterfly Island? Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that pretty much an island of isolationists? What made you decide to leave?

"When I was a foal, my mother used to read books to me about Equestria. Wonderful places like Canterlot and Manehattan... I just wanted to get out and see them all when I got old enough!"
cleardot.gif

Pendulumnae blinked and set down her pancake, "The first place? That...that can't be right. Butterfly Island is off of Equestria's west coast. This is the east."

Spoiler

Maple smiled seeing Mr. Signal and Mr. Night Cap playing together, and Misses Monsoon and Pendulumnae had struck up a conversation. Seeing that Night Cap had nearly finished with the pancakes Static had offered him, Maple slid her own plate over.

"Here Mr. Night Cap, enjoy."

Spoiler

Misty paused and stroked her chin thoughtfully with a hoof. "Hmm, you're right, that is weird," she says after a few moments.

The pancake on her head slid off and landed on her plate. "Oh, hey! I was looking for that one."

Pendulumnae tilted her head, "And you don't find it odd to be here?"

Rhapsody stepped outside to witness a collective cataclysm of cobalt cogs. Two ponies were frantically trying to clean up the mess. One was a white earth pony stallion with a dark brown mane while the other was a pale grey pegasus mare with a dark grey mane and a bright pink eyepatch. Neither had seemed to notice Rhapsody yet.

Something about Light Fantastic's coffee seemed ever so fragrant compared to other days. The savory scent wafted gently to her nostrils as the beverage was prepared. Could others in the Canterlot Ballet Company be partaking in a similar moment as they awoke?

"What the buck happened out here? Don't you realize some ponies are trying to sleep?" She grumbles to the pair of them; of course she should be up anyway... but that was facts getting in the way of more important things, like another half hour or so of sleep...

Rhapsody could smell a subtle potpourri from the mess of metal. The mare glared at Rhapsody, "Don't you realize some ponies are trying to work?" The stallion tried to work even faster.

"Well... part of the reason I wound up here was that I ran into a storm over the sea. It was a big one! I tried to make it stop, but it only seemed to get bigger and angrier. And I got blown all over the place." She pauses for a moment to have another bite of pancake, then continues. "When things finally cleared up, I didn't know where I was. I kept going, looking for land, and... well, here I am!"

Spoiler
Rhapsody wasn't a morning mare, and being rudely awakened made her normal personality flaws much worse. She huffs and glares back, stamping her front hoof heavily, letting a little shock wave rumble across the ground as she stomps over, a death glare in her eyes. "Work quieter or you'll be missing the OTHER eye." She says in deep gravely voice.

Spoiler

So do you like it here in Cabullistan or are you still hoping to make your way to Equestria?

The mare paused for a moment then...grinned, "Don't worry. We'll be done soon enough, sunshine." As the mare turned back to clean up, Rhapsody felt little an odd sense of caution. There was something innately dangerous about the objects being retrieved.

Spoiler

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
So, Misty, do you like it here in Cabullistan or are you still hoping to travel across Equestria?

"I've already been to a few places, Manehatten is fun." Maple said.

"Well, I do like it here in Caballuston, but I also want to see the rest of Equestria... the good part about working as a navigator is that I can do that as part of the job!"

Never been to Ponyville. Static said in response to Maple. It sounds interesting, what with Princess Twilight living there and all. I hear she was the first to befriend Luna while the rest of the populace was still wary of her. Static still didn't realize Maple didn't really like the Princesses.

Still seems like a rather backwater town. I'd love to go to Canterlot just once to meet Luna face to face.

Spoiler

Rhapsody huffs and and grapples the mare, thanks to her training with Sky Lynx she knows several affective ways to restrain a pony. She looks over to the stallion. "I already don't like you two. That is a dangerous place to be in, so make this easy on yourselves. Tell me what the hey this is," She says pointing to the pieces "and what exactly you are doing with it, or I will personally buck both your flanks to the moon." She replies, her voice having a serious edge as she remains as calm as possible, the strong black pegasus looking very much capable of doing so...

Spoiler

"Well, now that you have a job here, I trust you'll be staying a while?" Static asks Night Cap. "Except when we're on assignment of course."

"Personally, the only place I've ever really wanted to get the buck out of was Manehatten. Now that I've succeeded in that, I think I could quite comfortably stay here in Cabullistan...for as long as it will have me, at least."

The stallion looked at Rhapsody nervously before blurting out,
"I don't know what it does. I'm just paid to make deliveries and they don't tell me the details."

After hearty eating, Pendulumnae got up from the table.
"Gotta pay for this. Be right back and then we'll be out."

Rhapsody nods to the stallion. "Alright, I believe you." She says and then looks to the mare she has in an effective stranglehold. "You on the other hand," She says, tightening her grip subtly. "You seem to be the boss, so you best start talking. A hold like this, with this much pressure applies will knock you out shortly. So you can talk to me now, or once you're unconscious I'll drag you and your little subordinate to the police and let them investigate this. I'm betting whoever hired you, really won't like that."

Static sighs contentedly. "Ah that was good. I must remember this place. I'd forgotten how good pancakes are." Static glances over at Night Cap. "As filling as this was, I hope you don't intend on making this your only meal today."

The mare snarled at Rhapsody, "All I know is that it builds a sort of catapult thing with a fancy pretentious name and we were given a delivery address. Buyer names are kept confidential." Meanwhile, several onlookers walked towards the scene with curiosity and concern.

Maple ducks slightly ...reflexively, at hearing that the Princess was nearby. Not understanding the meaning of Night Cap's words.

"You okay there, Maple?"

"Fancy name? Lets see: Trebuchet, Couillard, Mangonel, Onager?" Rhapsody asks, listing off several types of Catapults with fancy names and then giggles a bit. "Ah, or maybe Petraria Arcatinus. Doesn't get much fancier then that..." She muses that last bit slightly to herself. "And you say it just builds the Catapult, and isn't one itself?"

"Trebuchet! That's what it was. The pieces build it when you put them together. The instructions were the one thing that didn't spill."

Rhapsody nods. "I figured that was the most likely one, they seem to be the most common type." She muses. "So what is that scent then? The potpourri scent, was that to be some kind of ammo?"

"Don't know what it is but the builder uses it on some of her stuff." One of the onlookers walked a little closer. "Um, what's going on here?"

Rhapsody nods again. "One last question, then I want you to Give me the delivery address, after that I'll let you go. Do you believe that there is no profit in the end of the world?" She asks in a hushed tone, noticing the gathering crowd. Something about this didn't sit right with her, and of course her first suspicion is that this has something to do with COIN. Rhapsody looks over to the voice as one of the ponies speaks up. No point in lying, and if somepony else called the police, then that would work in her favor. "These two here, were apparently going to deliver a dangerous weapon to some mysterious buyer, but bucked it up. So you might want to keep your distance to be safe."

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
As the bystanders backed up, the mare looked at Rhapsody with confusion, "What kind of saying is that? Anyway, South Canal at Warehouse B7."

"A troubling one, if you had said yes." Rhapsody replies as she lets the mare go. While COIN could still be involved, she was convinced that neither of these two were operatives and were indeed just doing their job. "Now both of you go. This delivery was a failure, and with this crowd you're not gonna get much work done. Also who knows if somepony else has alerted any authorities by now, so it's probably not wise to hang around."

"I'll remember this, sunshine." With that, the duo dashed off.

Pendulumnae returned to the table.
"Well, it's all paid for. Got a box for these last few waffles in case you want lunch or a snack later. I got some stuff to take care of so I gotta go. Besides, don't want any of you to be late for work."

After a delightful coffee and her usual morning routine, Light Fantastic set out to meet with the Canterlot Ballet Company. Once she arrived, one of the other dancers walked by her and paused, That's a nice...perfume? Lotion? Shampoo? It smells nice and it's subtle instead of overpowering. Can't place my hoof on just what that scent is, though. The mare waved over Silky Double-Time, "It smells...kinda like chamomile. That's a pretty unique choice."

Rhapsody looks to the crowd after the two fled. "Nothing more to see here. Get on with your day." She states, before dashing inside her house once more. "Tyberious, I need you take two letters for me." She says as she quickly starts to scrawl them out. "This one needs to go to Detective Champron, it details the confrontation I had outside just now and about this whole delivery business that might need looking into from more official channels." She says signing it Black Night. "This next one take to Brisk Iron at the Keep. Explaining that I might be late for work, where I am going and why." She states, even she wants to be careful in case something goes wrong. Tyberious might not be the fastest method, but he was reliable.

She darts down stairs to her basement to gather some materials and heads outside, creating a barricade around the parts. It wasn't the best in the world, but it should get the point across that the stuff is dangerous and for others to beware. She does take a piece with her, as it could be important, but hopefully the police will arrive soon enough to deal with the rest. She heads back inside for the last time to gather a few supplies and place them and the piece in a saddlebag to take with her before locking everything up and heading to the warehouse.

Snowy awoke to his alarm feeling refreshed. It was the first good night's sleep he'd had in three days, and it felt amazing. He strolled into the kitchen and set about reheating the leftover's of last night's poutine. Like any good poutine recipe, it would doubtless be even more delicious today.

While chewing away at his breakfast, he considered what instrument to bring. They were going into a cave, so size was a definite factor. Gentle Repose spells were good, but every instrument that came with one had its own warning label about not exposing the instrument to extreme conditions. He briefly considered building his attacks purely with magic, but it just didn't seem right. Also, he hadn't practiced it at all. That would have been a much better use of his time than what he had practiced last night, he thought with a grimace. No, what he needed was a good lyre. It didn't rely on the shape of the wood as much, if there was any warping, and he could keep it unstrung. He could string a lyre in a heartbeat; it wasn't the sort of motion one forgot. Unfortunately, he didn't have a good lyre. What he had was...well...

To call it a bad lyre would be too cruel. It was a perfectly serviceable lyre. It was just...signed. He deposited his dishes in the sink and walked with reluctant tread to his closet. Gingerly stepping around his cello, he reached back and gingerly lifted the lyre from its stand, extricating the case from behind it. He removed himself from the closet and contemplated the grain of the wood, the texture of the strings. He pulled at the strings experimentally. The sound was beautiful. The chords were smooth. He really should play it more. And yet...

He sighs, turning it to inspect the outside edge, looking just under the string moorings, where he knew he would find the words: A memory or five to a wonderful fan and protege, from Lyra Heartstrings.

He wasn't certain what he was reacting to, but he felt the need to grimace. He had his pick of reasons, certainly. He was 5 years her senior, for one, and still bristled a little at being called her protege. He had been young, and she had happened to be spending a week in Neighlem for a performance...this was before she really "hit it big," as they called it, so tickets were cheap...he had been young, and hadn't understood how to treat instruments...He knew he shouldn't have offered her a lyre to sign, but what else was important enough to hold a signature? The whole experience was so alien to the then-small-time musician that they'd ended up spending most of the night chatting. That was just the sort of pony Lyra was; she could draw ponies (well, musicians, anyways) out of their shells. They'd both been pleasantly surprised to find someone to talk to about music who wasn't an uptight encyclopedia. And as dawn came calling, she had signed the lyre, and he had never heard from her again. He was sure it had never played the same after the ink had been applied. Still, it was what he needed today, so he carefully placed it in its case and wormed his way around the grand piano, down the stairs, and out the door, heading for the museum.

Maybe he should pluck a few chords before they left for the caves, make certain that he was back in playing shape...

Maple sighed, happy to avoid answering Mr. Signal's question. As it appeared from her covert scans of the restaurant that Mr. Night Cap was only using Celestia's name emphatically.

"She's right, we really should head over there... Maple paused to look at her mental map, We are about 10 minutes away from the Keep. and Most of us will be walking." Maple grinned toward Mr. Night Cap, as she used her wings to help herself down from the bench seat.

"Thanks for breakfast," Static says to Pendulumnae. Static then turns to Maple. "Yeah, there used to be a time I could make it in 5. I'm glad I'll be training with the rest of you from now on. I need to get in shape. You though, you're lucky you can fly."

Light Fantastic looked puzzled.

"But... I don't recall putting on anything," she said.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Static rushed to catch the wobbly Night Cap. "Woah there!" Static's eyes narrowed at the thought of Rhapsody. Suddenly Night Cap being telekinetically carried by a Unicorn made sense. "How bad did she hurt you?" he asked with a growl.

"If you want to find out Mr. Signal, you can have my spot." Maple said as she moved to the door holding it open for everypony else.

Misty hops out of her seat. "Wow, I'm stuffed! Thanks for the meal!"

Traversing the city in an expedient speed, Rhapsody eventually arrived at the southernmost canal and soon at Warehouse B7. It looked mostly identical to the other warehouses with one key difference. While the others were bustling with activity from their various shipments, B7 was closed with a very heavy padlock. However, it didn't look abandoned.

Silky Double-Time pondered for a moment,
"I bet it was one of those street vendors. If you walked by one of them, the smell might be lingering. I mean, it's not a bad smell or anything. Anyways, I'm trying to figure out what to do about those pictures of that carriage from yesterday. There's something suspicious about it that makes me think I should turn it into the police but we don't have any names or any evidence of her actually doing anything wrong. What do you think we should do?"

Static goes over to Maples point of view to see if he can see just how badly Night Cap is injured.

Maple laughed, silly Mr. Signal

"teehee, I didn't mean this spot Mr. Signal. My spot at training with Rhapsody... oh course you'll need to get her as mad at you as she is with him... and I wouldn't recommend that. I also don't think I'll be going back for more 'training' after the trip."

Pendulumnae frowned. "That's disappointing. You seemed to be catching on fast once you got warmed up."

Maple turned a sad face to the friendly Unicorn, "Miss Rhapsody enjoyed seeing Mr. Night Cap fail and get hurt, and the one thing he seemed talented at -she mocked, right to his face..." Maple sighed, "The rest of it was wonderful, but that part isn't for me."

"Maybe you should talk to her about it. It would be better than just quitting outright when you might be able to clear things up."

"Seems to me Ms. Rhapsody needs a bit of a talking to." Static growled.

Maple didn't want this to go in that direction, she had no idea what this team had already been through together and she would not be the one to set it to self-destruct.

"I'm certain she has our best interests at heart, Mr. Night Cap must have accidentally struck a raw nerve." Maple Shrugged her shoulders and put a grin back on her face. "Okay Miss Pendulumnae, I'll come back for more training - maybe after I ask Miss Rhapsody if she'll explain it to me."

Maple's grin became a genuine smile. Mister Night Cap might just be the bravest stallion she ever met.

Static gave a skeptical grunt, but decided to let the subject drop. He was thinking Night Cap was a bit naive for his own good. He stuck close to Night Cap as they walked to the Keep, ready to support him if he started getting wobbly again.

Rhapsody took the the sky and flew leisurely around the building, trying not to attract attention to herself as she scanned the air for an alternate way in; open window, roof hatch, stupidly large air ducts...

"Could be that," said Light Fantastic, "As for the pictures, I honestly don't know."

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Upon entering the employee entrance, Maplejack headed off to prepare for the day's tours. Meanwhile, Night Cap and Static Signal headed to the Documents Department. Upon arriving, they were met with a surprise. There was a large cart covered with donuts. Most had already been eaten but they were clearly glazed and covered with sprinkles. An excited Ready Quill ran up to them. "Wow-I-can't-believe-you-bought-these-for-the-whole-department. Keep-this-up-and-you'll-be-one-of-our-best-secretaries!" Several other coworkers also walked up to Night Cap.
"Gosh, this was great. I look forward to next time."
"I really hope you do this again."
"Can't wait to see you top this."
"Wow, this is your first week. I wonder how big this'll be next time."
"I look forward to seeing even bigger donuts!"
"This was nice but I wish it came with coffee."

"I want to see us be the best department in the whole Keep."

I will be the most powerful department secretary ever and all will love me.

Maple greeted her workplace in the same way as yesterday. and set about setting up, while she looked over the posted schedule -conveniently hung on one of her posts. On the opposite one hung her board with the "guided tours and open" signs.

Static looked at the pastries. It seemed out of politeness he should have one. Under any other circumstance, he's attack those donuts.

But he already had two breakfasts. If he had one more bite...glazed! Aww! He couldn't pass up glazed.

His stomach told him otherwise as his hoof reached for one of the glazed bits of heaven. "I can do this." He took hold of one of the donuts. "I can do this."

He took a single bite as his stomach protested. [so help me if you take another bite, I'll make you regret it] With a deep breath, Static took another bite.

His eyes popped wide open as his stomach made a fearsome growl. "Be right back!" Static runs off. Nopony sees him for the next 10 minutes.

"That was...painful!" he says as he walks up to Night Cap and Ready Quill. "So...what's on the schedule for today."

With a quick scan, Rhapsody noticed that the windows seemed to have bars over them on the inside. Ventilation wasn't immediately visible and everything seemed tightly secure. Out of the corner of her eye, Rhapsody spotted Misty Monsoon heading that way.

Rhapsody hmms softly, she was trying to remain inconspicuous, too much examination of looking around might start to gather unwanted attention, and who knows if anyone down there is on the payroll fro whoever owns this warehouse. Seeing Misty, Rhapsody currently intends on letting the blue pegasus go about her day; she didn't really know the other mare that well and wasn't sure if it would be wise to include a newbie on this, especially such a ditzy one.

Replying to Static Signal, Ready Quill said, "Today-you'll-be-working-on-a-new-documentary-about-what-we-now-know-about-Princess-Luna-and-Nightmare-Moon."

Amber's morning had been a quiet one. She'd glanced over the newspaper over a scone from the cabinet and a piping-hot black coffee, scowling at another fluff headline on new antics from that new princess in Ponyville, and worked through a quick stretch routine before setting out to work. It occurred to her as she set out that she hadn't had the chance to speak to Rhapsody after work, and she worried briefly that Rhapsody might be upset with her, but she tried to shelve the thought aside. She checked her mailbox, latched the white wooden fence with a tilt of her head, and set out to the museum. She'd left the mysterious metal modules from the curious crusty crate assembled into a sort of box in the laboratory, with several pieces still awaiting assembly.

Before she completed the puzzle, whatever it might be, she wanted to ask Ms. Flint or Ms. Iron about a geologist or possibly a slightly better-informed metallurgist (there were no significantly better-informed metallurgists, but a slightly better-informed somepony might be able to catch something she had missed) and try to tease out a bit more about the origins of the tiles. She couldn't help worrying that something might happen when the puzzle was complete, and she found herself of two minds about that - best practices suggested caution, which only slightly tamped back her inexplicable compulsion to complete the puzzle.

Of course, there was no reason to just assume that all the tiles were present, or that they would respond in some way when the configuration was complete ... but here, too, she found herself trapped between her logical sensibilities and the strong sense that there was something truly exciting just waiting for her in the museum laboratory, and no amount of careful reasoning was going to change that.

Static's ears perked up. His smile went from ear to ear. He barely registered the barrage of "thank you's" he was bowling Ready Quill over with as his mind went into overdrive.

[Where's that list I made?]

[Forget the list! I'll make a new one.]

[Luna, Nightmare Moon, Mare on the Moon, Nightmare Night, bearer of...what elements did she bear?]

This was going to take a lot of research. Static couldn't wait to get started.

Maple smiled and waved as staff filtered in from all points of the city, Earth ponies, Pegasus ponies, Unicorns and the odd Griffin, Donkey, or Zebra ... It was fun getting to know all new faces, even a few ponies she waved to for the first time only just yesterday - had remembered her and smiled/waved and or said hello/good morning back to her.

There were new faces too, well newer faces. Maple wondered if some of the Keep departments worked on rotating shifts, she realized she never even thought to ask. It could also be that some of these ponies were away yesterday, sick or perhaps recovering form whatever event had befallen the keep and the STOMP team recently.

Today will be a great day.

Ready Quill nodded to Static Signal, "Let-me-know-if-you-need-anything-but-otherwise-I'm-leaving-it-up-to-you."

Steel Flint greeted Amber upon seeing her enter the Antiquities Department. "Good morning, Amber. Hopefully the expedition later on will be most pleasant."

"Oh, hey, Mr. Quill! Just one thing before we get started," Static said, his mind still racing a million miles a minute. "How much of that film was able to be saved yesterday?"

Misty passes over rooftops on her way to work, though her mind is preoccupied with thoughts of the expedition later today, and getting to see her new friends again. She's distracted enough that she doesn't notice anything out of the ordinary going on below.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Ready Quill blinked, "It's-gonna-take-a-while-to-get-that-film-restored-and-it's-gonna-be-costly. Glad-we-found-it-but-sad-since-the-Keep-just-got-back-in-the-black."

As Snowy Skies looked over the list of the day's work assignments, he found that he was to check for stability of the greeting station, then he was on watering duty for the building's plants.

Silky Double-Time shrugged,
"I guess we might as well ask them. If the police don't need it, they'll let us know."

"Yes, ma'am," said Amber, who had forgotten entirely about the expedition. "I'm quite a little excited to see the tunnels." She paused. "Ma'am, I'm of course working with the new artifact from the undocumented crate that we discussed yesterday, well, I suppose that I've become more than a little intrigued with it, and I've been wondering whether you might suggest somepony with some training in rock science to help to identify the origin of the encrustment on the tiles."

The expedition - Amber was suddenly concerned at the thought of leaving the tiles unattended for some unspecified number of days while she was away. But if she could solve the puzzle today, before they left....

Static winced and then nodded. "I hope it winds up paying for itself."

Static turned back around with a sense of purpose. "C'mon, Night Cap! We got work to do!"

Static runs off, pulling Night Cap behind him so fast he's practically flying, again. He finally pulled up short at one of the planning tables in the editing room.

"We'll want to talk to Rhapsody at some point about this. She said something about being a bit of a Lunaphile in the meeting yesterday. I'd bet she'd have a few things to add. But before we go asking her a bunch of questions, we should probably figure out what questions to ask."

Static pulled out a note pad and a quill.

"Okay, four main sections we really want to hit with this.

1.) There was a time when Luna was a bearer of at least one of the Elements of Harmony. This is the point I really want to hit. She was a hero. Along with Celestia, she went up against Discord, Sombra, Tirek. We may want to ask Rhapsody what specifics she may know, particularly what elements of harmony Luna was specifically in control of.

2.) There was a fall to Nightmare Moon. While we may not want to dwell too much on this, it did happen and needs to be noted. We know that Luna grew bitter that her subjects didn't appreciate her as they did Celestia. But it's one thing to say "she grew bitter because her subjects didn't appreciate her." It's another thing to make your audience feel it. We need something to really drive the point home. Why didn't they show her the respect they showed Celestia? What measurements were taken to try and keep Luna from becoming Nightmare Moon? What parlay was put forth? Rejected? Was this a war between Luna and Celestia? A single battle? Did Luna have any followers?

3.) Then there was a 1000 year span where our understanding of Luna became vastly distorted. Mare on the Moon, Nightmare Moon...two separate traditions that stem from Luna...and yet nopony ever really connected the two until Luna's Return. Nightmare Night painted Nightmare Moon as a monster that would eat children if they didn't leave her candy. We had a lot of mis-information that nopony questioned that now we no is simply ridiculous. Even most glaring, we didn't even know Celestia had a sister until she came back. How did our history books get so screwed up, especially when we have a princess that was alive through it all?

4.) Luna's return and redemption. Luna's popularity seems to have skyrocketed since her return. What's so different now than 1000 years ago that she's got this boost? Maybe we should get interviews from average ponies? I dunno. We may want to get Rhapsody's views on this as well."

Static took a deep breath and put the quill down, looking over to Night Cap.

"We've got a lot of work to do. Our last documentary we were able to throw together in a couple days. We were fortunate with that one. We lived through it and I was able to get a lot of footage just because of us having been there.

"This is going to be different though. This is going to take a lot of research. We're going to have to really work to get footage that we can use. So...any questions, answers, suggestions?"

Steel Flint motioned with her horn. "There's a Savant Sard down the hall to the left that just got back from her vacation. Timing couldn't be more perfect."

"Right! Rhapsody! We should go right now!"

Static puts the notepad and quill in his saddlebags, grabs hold of Night Cap and runs with Night Cap in tow to the planetarium.

*nock nock nock*

"Rhapsody?"

*nock nock nock*

"Rhapsody?"

*nock nock nock*

"Rhapsody?"

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Static deflates. But then he remembers..."Wait a minute? Wasn't there a whole exhibit about the princesses? Maybe Maple can point us in the right direction."

Off Static runs with Night Cap in tow. As they come to the greeting station, they see Snowy and Maple.

"Hey Snowy! Maple! Hey Maple, gotta ask you something..." Static comes to a screeching halt, complete with sound effects. "Sorry...didn't mean to interrupt. Just been..." Static tries to catch his breath. "I'll wait. Need to catch my breath anyway."

Light Fantastic nodded.

"Alright then," she said, "Do you want to take them now or later?"

As far as Rhapsody could see, there didn't seem to be any other ways into the warehouse.

Silky Double-Time headed to the door,
"We should probably do it now. I doubt they're as busy in the morning."

Maple Had been Waiting for the first tour group to arrive, but they weren't scheduled in for quite some time. Then she Saw Mr. Skies, he smiled and waved as he made his way over to the station.

"Good morning Mr. Skies, I was hoping I'd get to talk to you before we left today... Maple grinned at his question, ...actually for right now I am the only one doing this. It's a trial program here, We started doing it at the Manehatten branch a few years ago." Maple's chest and grin puffed up with pride as she continued. "It's a new initiative here, and they only needed the best." Maple said, as she quoted what her former supervisor said to her before she left.

Just then Mr. Signal and Mr. Night Cap appear.

"Hello again this morning Mr. Night Cap, Mr. Signal... um, Mr. Skies and I were just talking about.... ? Oh, Sorry Mr. Skies I didn't mean to let my mouth gallop away like that, what did you need?"

Snowy nods to Static and Night Cap. "I'm supposed to check the 'stability' of this stand. If you work here, then hopefully you have some ideas of how to do that aside from jumping on top of it." He says with a smile.

Maple tilted her head. "Some pony's worried about my little old sign and posts?" pausing for a second to look at the structure from her side of it. Then walking between the posts to look at it from Snowy's side.. Maple shrugged her wings.

"It's just a sign and two posts. At the end of the shift, I take the board with the sign on it down and take it and to posts over there against the wall. It isn't that much trouble, even though I'm not very big." Maple pondered for a moment about the design, and then remembered one particularly busy day in Manehatten when the crowd was really interested on the then new Crystal pony exhibits, and all the bumping and jostling in the line up actually knocked the stand over.

"Maybe if there was a way to add some small walls to the backs of the posts?" Maple thought out loud. She put he forelegs up in the air and put her wings out straight behind her, to show Snowy what she was picturing in her head. "We had an accident once where everything got knocked over, but do you have anything strong and light enough that would work..? I don't want to be a bother."

Snowy had to dip a little to the side to avoid being *baf*ed by one of Maple's wings. He considered the structure, trying to picture Maple's idea in practice. "Wooden supports would definitely help," He comments. "But I don't know what supplies we have. I also don't know if the wood in Storage B is a supply, or some ancient petrified piece of earth pony culture." He was also not a particularly skilled carpenter. He shrugs. "I guess I'll have to ask around. So Static, what did you need?"

Maple's face went red and she tucked her wings back in .... "Sorry Mr. Skies."

Snowy looks genuinely confused. "...For what?"

"Sometimes these things just get in the way." Maple's wings rustle slightly before quickly tucking back in.

She then turned to her other two friends to see if they were ready to speak... the run must have been to much for Mr. Signal, though she doubted it even effected Mr. Night Cap... not after how good he'd done yesterday at training. O_O oh right.

"Are you okay Mr. Night Cap, should Mr. Static really be hauling you around like that..? You should maybe talk to Miss Fantastic as soon as possible, she can use her magic really well for healing." Maple turned to Snowy, "Oh, Mr. Skies ...um can your magic heal ponies too?"

Top Bottom