He-Man, and also the Masters of the Universe

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
Probably not very likely - they were lucky to get a paltry 5 episodes for this season. After all the b*tching over the first season I doubt Netflix wants any more to do with it.
From what I've read, it was an extremely small minority of right-wing trolls that whined about insignificant things. They was so insignificant and irrelevant that they were ignored and thus we got series 2.

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
Probably not very likely - they were lucky to get a paltry 5 episodes for this season. After all the bitching over the first season I doubt Netflix wants any more to do with it.
They left ample teases for a third season. It will all depend on the streaming numbers. I don’t think anything produced anymore is without its share of “bitching”. It will just depend on if people are bothering to watch it.

And I liked it! The biggest change for the better WAS halving the episode count. Revelation had a tendency to “meander”, like a LOT of these animated streaming projects (Transformers was guilty of it, to a degree). Not only that, but it felt like the production was, in general, willing to have more FUN, ditching the grim dark elements that also tend to permeate these kinds of projects. That’s not to say it doesn’t treat its stakes with appropriate gravitas, but it’s not so damn serious as to drain the fun out of the adventure itself. The cast seemed like they were having a ball as well, especially William Shatner as Keldor.

It was also nice for fans to see all the well integrated fan nods. All too often, stuff like this and the Netflix Transformers series, focus on what people remember. The “infected” Grayskull throne room had a LOT of call back to the 87 film (not to mention Gwildor and his home), comments during the last He-Man confrontation and the stinger reflect ideas from recent comics, the final He-Man design integrated a LOT of design elements from the 2021 Netflix series, etc. It was nice to see something be more inclusive to its own brand history rather than the “peak years”.
Also big props to the design guys for the Mechanical Titans. They were really pushing a real “Evangelion” vibe which was rather refreshing.

Again, I think I had more fun watching these 5 episodes than the 10 of the prior series. Voice actors were having a ball, the tone was lightened up where appropriate, and the pacing kept you engaged all the way through. Hopefully, all the teases pay off in the next one.

Last edited:

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
I just watched it and it's bloody brilliant. Full of emotion, action and some great storytelling. I've no idea why a small minority of grifting, neck-bearded right-wing neckbeards were crying and thrashing their man-rattles over this.

I also LOVED how he wrote "bait and switch" into one of Teela's scenes, just to bait the trolls. I'm surprised he didn't throw in a "pronouns!" line at the Horde ships from the, ahem, "starfield" to anger any more of them...

Keep it up, Mr Smith.

Last edited:

Caldwin

Woobie Destroyer of Worlds
Citizen
From what I've read, it was an extremely small minority of right-wing trolls that whined about insignificant things. They was so insignificant and irrelevant that they were ignored and thus we got series 2.
That was more than a bit condescending and I refuse to get sucked in to this debate again because at this point I really just don't give a damn about Smith and his little crap projects. I may or may not give this season a chance. But it whether I do or don't will have nothing to do with your left-wing trolling bull shit.

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
There was a comment earlier on that Teela made that makes me wonder...

When she was looking at the picture on her way into the dragon's place, she said there were -four- pillars. Was that a foreshadowing of Greyskull needing to add in, or was that a hint to something else in a possible 3rd season?

Other than that,

Love the whole Tri-sorceress angle, and kinda funny how both series at this point have ended with a Skeletor totally depowered into Keldor, and a future Hordak-related tease. Also digging the new He-Man look... very Barbarian King vibes, even if he isn't techncially a king.

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
I was trying to figure out what He-Man's final look homaged. I think it might be a nod to...
the live action film and The New Adventures cartoon.
What does anyone else think?

Also, on a different note, I've just noticed that NA Skeletor looks a bit like Bludgeon?

Skeletor & Bludgeon.png

Last edited:

NovaSaber

Citizen
G1 Bludgeon's torso didn't look nearly that skull-like, but it's very possible that RotF Bludgeon was influenced by that version of Skeletor.

Maruten

Citizen
The recasts were a shame, especially after Teela being so signficant in Revelation, but once the show got going I didn't really find myself bothered. Duncan and Lyn were intact and that's the most important thing!

Shatner was great (given the other new cast members Star Trek was clearly a very deliberate Thing here) and while I was happy with the retcons re: Skeletor's origins, I think I slightly preferred the Revelation take just for novelty's sake.

I love that they went with some of the weirder guys to fill out their Masters roster (elephant firefighter ftw) but agree it's bizarre that we never saw anything of so many of the iconic characters. Not much going on for non-Horde villains either.

Revelation turned Evil-Lyn into my favourite character in the franchise, and Revolution follows that up very nicely. I didn't see her final fate coming and I absolutely adore it. If they do more and she's not around, or only cameos, I'll miss her but if her story has ended here then it's satisfying and I'll take it.

I really hope they do get a chance to follow up that final tease. It looks like the next round of Dark Horse comics will at least touch on it, so fingers crossed.

As always... figures of everyone please, Mattel.

To get stupid briefly: when He-Man's in the Battle Armor, the toy gimmick is treated like a repair mechanism. "Oh, my armor is damaged, I'll press the heal button and fix it". Surely the concept behind the toy was the reverse, that you could start with a pristine fella and then show off the battle damage as he beat up Skeletor? It makes absolutely no difference and works either way, but am I crazy here?

Confuzor

Koopaling Aficionado
Citizen
There was a comment earlier on that Teela made that makes me wonder...

When she was looking at the picture on her way into the dragon's place, she said there were -four- pillars. Was that a foreshadowing of Greyskull needing to add in, or was that a hint to something else in a possible 3rd season?
I wondered about that too, hopefully its a seed for season 3 and not just a forgotten element or obtuse reference.

I also absolutely LOVE the pure Nerd-ery of
Skeletor being voice by Luke Skywalker and Keldor being James Kirk. The same dude is both of our childhood scifi heroes, but as a villain!

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen

I just watched it and it's bloody brilliant. Full of emotion, action and some great storytelling. I've no idea why a small minority of grifting, neck-bearded right-wing neckbeards were crying and thrashing their man-rattles over this.

I also LOVED how he wrote "bait and switch" into one of Teela's scenes, just to bait the trolls. I'm surprised he didn't throw in a "pronouns!" line at the Horde ships from the, ahem, "starfield" to anger any more of them...

Keep it up, Mr Smith.

That was more than a bit condescending and I refuse to get sucked in to this debate again because at this point I really just don't give a damn about Smith and his little crap projects. I may or may not give this season a chance. But it whether I do or don't will have nothing to do with your left-wing trolling bull shit.

Ahhhh, fun.

Okay, folks: Let's try to keep unveiled political commentary, no matter how innocuous it may seem, to the Politics & Religion channel.

Likewise, let's not get personal over this, okay? It's just a cartoon.

Let's just take a deep breath and try to keep the insults out, whether or not we think they're deserved.

...hell, I'm trying to avoid this thread until I can see it for myself, and now I've got to come in here because of this. To put not too fine a point on it, I'd rather not have to come back again until I do. Dig?

Caldwin

Citizen
Okay, this was good. I can admit that. It doesn't retroactively make Revelation good and I still detest Kevin Smith's douchebag guts. There were also a few eye-roll moments here and there. But, if they continue along this path and Kevin keeps his stupid mouth shut, I can may see myself watching this. Kevin's still an asshole.

Axaday

Citizen
I just got myself caught up on season 1 before going to bed last night.

I am aware that someone's voice is their voice and there's only so much you can do, but I never stopped hearing Joker and Mark Hammill doesn't sound like Joker when he is Luke Skywalker or doing an interview. I can hear some similarity to the 80s Skeleton voice, but I pretty much hear Joker being Skeletor.

My impression from the 80s cartoon is that Randor was always a pretty ideal king, making the right decisions and being a good guy. In the 2007 show I do remember a mean quip he threw at Adam, but it was a funny line in context. We didn't straight out see much problem in this series, but it implies that he's been a terrible, cold father. That's a shame to me. The Queen is just flat out annoying just about every line.

I did like the show as a whole. I appreciated the time to focus on other characters which with only 10 episodes probably did require sidelining Heman. He takes up a lot of space in a story and honestly he can easily become boring, since it is very difficult to challenge him. The second half of the 1st season felt a little bit more like "Hey I always wanted to see this" stuff. Enough that I felt like forgiveness was necessary to keep moving.

Caldwin

Citizen
So, if not for the notorious rights issues, I would normally say this is a very stupid question to ask. But because of said notorious rights issues, I have to ask.

Of course the flashback showing Hordak kidnapping a baby is absolutely implying Adora. And in the comics Despara (teased in the stinger of the last episode) is Adora. So under any normal circumstances I'd say next season we should expect Adora and probably even She-Ra.

But given that it's rather well known that the rights between cartoon She-Ra and He-Man can be tricky to say the least...does anyone want to lay odds on this actually being Adora and the chances of seeing She-Ra next season, or is this just going to be Despara?

Caldwin

Citizen
I mean, it probably depends on how well this season does whether or not there's another. But it looked less like an easter egg and more like a stinger/sequel hook.

Top Bottom