Gotta Catch 'Em All! - Pokémon Thread

Glitch

Citizen
I was expecting the announcement of a Home update but I guess we'll get one in a few months.

Caldwin

Woobie Destroyer of Worlds
Citizen
Well after grabbing Shining Pearl Digitally and feeling the need to go through Ultra Sun and grabbing that digitally, I just went and got Legends Arceus off the E-Shop too. I'm still wanting to grab a physical copy just in case but I'm eager to see where this game goes. But one thing that kind of bugs me is the scale of technology in this time Pokeballs are just coming into useage but smart phones are a thing? Weird
Smart phones have always been a thing. They predate things like fire and the wheel. Didn't you know? Dude! Read a history book. 🤪

Glitch

Citizen
We don't have Pokeballs in todays world, maybe in a few decades with matter to energy conversion technology.

Tm_Silverclaw

Citizen
This is a game with the literal Avatars of TIme and Space... I actually hope there are a few more OopParts than just the Arc phone.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
There's actually some interesting stuff behind both the phone and pokeballs in general, if the leaks are to be believed...

(Big ol' spoilers below, you've been warned)
About the phone...
Turns out, the player character is actually either a time traveler from the future, or maybe a Faller from another dimension such as Anabel from Sun and Moon. Arceus himself seems to upgrade your phone for you in the opening cutscene. Now, that's a service plan!

And about Pokeballs...
Turns out, Pokeballs never turned Pokemon into energy in the first place. All Pokemon just have the natural ability to shrink. Like the move Minimize or like in the Adventrues/Special manga. (Thus, y'know...Pocket Monsters, I guess). This is a weird revelation, but I've seen a screenshot, so it seems legitimate.

Last edited:

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
So how we feel about being able to swap learned moves on the fly?!

Still restricted to the usual four moves at a time per Pokémon, but any move learned can be swapped out in the menu with any other move it has learned before. And the NPC at the training grounds can tutor egg moves for cash!

And you must master a move in order to use Agile and Strong styles of it. Unsure how mastery works yet other than just using the move.

Also Sleep has been reworked into Drowsy. Still acts mostly the same but it gives a damage boost against the Drowsy Pokémon.

And Frozen had become Frostbite which sadly loses its movement impairment ability to act as another burn effect that also halves the afflicted Pokémons special attack by half unless it has the Flare Boost ability which will double their SpAtk instead

Caldwin

Citizen
Okay, the beginning reminded me so much of Breath of the Wild I even muttered "Wake up, Link. You must wake up." Only for the very next line on screen to actually be "wake up!" :ROFLMAO:

The ball throw mechanic seems pretty good. I'm about to wake up for my first trial. So I guess I'll say more later. So far so good.

Maruten

Citizen
Historically I'm not sure that Pokémon is a franchise that has had a great hit rate when deviating from its core formula, but man, this is good. I'm absolutely loving it.

Caldwin

Citizen
So how we feel about being able to swap learned moves on the fly?!

Still restricted to the usual four moves at a time per Pokémon, but any move learned can be swapped out in the menu with any other move it has learned before. And the NPC at the training grounds can tutor egg moves for cash!

And you must master a move in order to use Agile and Strong styles of it. Unsure how mastery works yet other than just using the move.

Also Sleep has been reworked into Drowsy. Still acts mostly the same but it gives a damage boost against the Drowsy Pokémon.

And Frozen had become Frostbite which sadly loses its movement impairment ability to act as another burn effect that also halves the afflicted Pokémons special attack by half unless it has the Flare Boost ability which will double their SpAtk instead
I love it so far. You can't do it while in battle of course. So that keeps it from being too broken. It seems to be the next logical step from Sword/Shield where they took away heart scales and let you change the moves at Pokecenters.

It does seem to come at the cost of not being able to switch out the Pokémon in your party outside of base camp or in the city. I think I rather be able to switch out Pokémon more freely than moves. But I love that they're trying new things.

M. Virion

If Hell is forever, then Heaven must be a lie
Citizen
I am having an absolute blast, and caught my first shiny, a random Kricketot that I didn't even realize was shiny till I checked in at the base camp.

I'd heard the shiny bell, but it had happened on the ledge above where I was and couldn't get up to. I went way around to finally go check and figured it must have despawned. Grabbed a Kricketot that was up there in the shadow of a tree and moved on. It wasn't till I ran across another group of them that my brain went. "Wait. Kricketot is red. What color was that last one?" And ran off to base camp to check.

Absolute gem of a game.

Spin-Out

terminal shitposter
Citizen
And right on cue, Pokemon "fans" are review bombing Legends Arceus.

Imagine hating something you claim to be a fan of so much that you go out of your way to shit on anything related to it =/

Caldwin

Citizen
I got an Umbreon! Those Eevees are skittish as hell!

On a totally unrelated note, I didn't even touch Mass Effect today.

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
I got a shiny Shinx! I heard a musical tone I hadn't heard and looked around and there was a lil golden Shinx! Now if I hadn't already got a Luxray on my main team being the load bearer already I'd get him trained up.

Paladin

Citizen
Two Shinys in one day!!!

Attachments

• LAdrift.jpg
    LAdrift.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 53
  • LAmagik.jpg
    LAmagik.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 42

Caldwin

Citizen
Haven't gotten one yet, but I'll be keeping a look out.

@Daith: You could train them both up and then once the shiny catches up to the non-shiny, dump the non-shiny.

@Paladin: Shiny Magikarp, nice! I would absolutely love to get a shiny Gyarados at some point. Congrats!

Top Bottom