G.I. Joe thread - 02/01 G.I. Joe Day Reveals: Doc, Torch and more

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
Leaked in package images have cropped up for a couple new, unannounced, Joe items:
Mad Marauders Low Light and Spirit 2 pack and Marauders Sgt. Slaughter

The more eagle eyed have noticed that Low Light and Spirit are sporting remixed accessories, while Slaughter appears to be getting recolored training gear that first appeared with Big Boa.

Marauders Low Light I have a strong association thanks to the DiC cartoon, and Marauders Slaughter was my first toy of the character, so I’m feeling pretty locked in with both offerings. Assuming they aren’t TOO BS exclusive offerings.

MrBlud

Citizen
Amazon has Marauder BBQ on sale for $15 right now too if anyone wants to catch up assembling them.

Greebtron

Citizen
With thanks to Aquantis Trading Center, the Sunbow Marvel Archive now hosts over 500 Marvel Productions model sheets for the 1980s G.I Joe animated series. Covering most episodes of the series, as well as some of the post-cartoon 1987 characters.

To view M.A.S.S Device, Revenge of Cobra and Season 1 models, head to https://sunbowmarvelarchive.blogspot...hero-1983.html

For Season 2 and 1987 models, head to https://sunbowmarvelarchive.blogspot...ro-part-2.html

4005 GI Joe GENI Scanning 0652 Cobra Commander.jpg600-57 GI Joe GENI Scanning B - 0199 lady jay coat ep 57.jpg600-00 1986 BATS_frint.jpg600-00 1987 GI Joe GENI Scanning C - 0151 Gung-Ho Dress.jpg

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
Basic run down
Name only reveals for the SAW Viper and Dial-Tone.

Render reveals for Retro Beachhead, Retro Cobra Eel. Retro Snow Serpent, a d a Cobra Ferret vehicle with Ferret Scout figure.

Actual Preorders going live at 1pm eastern for premium members, 2 pm everyone.
Tiger Force Roadblock and Tripwire 2 pack. (Limited Pulse/ Target exclusive)
Doc
Night Creeper
Torch
Jinx
Gnawgahyde with his animals
A Hiss Tank squad Techno Viper with an SMS missile trailer

Steevy Maximus

Citizen
The Tiger Force set is already sold out at 1212 CST

It's a Target item, so I'm not overly worried...but it's not doing my Premium membership any favors when the big reason I have it is for exclusives.

Steevy Maximus

Citizen
I mean, there’s not much to say. Hasbro’s Joe team is consistently putting out damn good product, especially now that Retro is regular “supplement” to the main line, allowing for a bit more freedom in reinterpretation. All the figures looked fantastic, and my biggest concern continues to be trying to “budget” between all the solid stuff coming out this year across all my interests. I wanted the Tiger Force set, but it sold out quick on Pulse. As a pricey Classified item, though? I don’t expect it to be too hard to get.

Gnawgahyde is a definite buy. A big figure in my childhood, Lenny BEAUTIFULLY added even more personality to the character’s portrayal. The extended accessory compliment is great as well. My only complaint is that he got bumped to a deluxe offering. I could have lived without his pets, but at least Hasbro did a bang up job justifying their existence.

Jinx is a sure bet as well. The 87 movie was a big thing for me, so I need her to go with Falcon and Slaughter. Like many Classified, the updates, I feel, work well for the character.
On the fence on Nightcreeper. I love me some wacky ninja stuff, and I love that the second head sculpt was included.

Doc and Torch are no slouches either, though I’ll probably end up passing on both (LifeLine is my preferred medic). That’s not to say both aren’t FANTASTICALLY done. Love the modular gear Doc has going on, while Torch gets some amazing effects pieces.

Mass Retro Wave 2- Beachhead is a nice, but a bit of a wash compared to the first one. Each has their own “vibe”, so I can’t say one is better than the other. I prefer the revised mainline aesthetic, but I can see Retro appealing to many as well. Eel is a nice rerun for those that missed the deluxe version, but it looks like he lost some accessories in the transition.
Snow Serpent, though? I really liked the “Snow Wolf” influences we got with the first version, and I’m actually glad to see a true “retro” version on tap as well. And despite how awesome many of the accessories were, I’m glad to see them par things down so that the Retro Serpent should hit the standard $25 price point.
The HMS and Ferret are unlikely given budget and space constraints, but look nice

The biggest fuss I can make is the new packaging. I don’t like it. To me, GI Joe was still managing to maintain that “psuedo-kids line” thing going with the packaging, even though the myriad of changes made. Between the standardized artwork style and ESPECIALLY the sterile design, it feels more in line with Hasbro’s other 6” Collector lines. And for a brand with as little marketing as Hasbro seems to be giving it, I’m not a fan of Hasbro “homogenizing” their 6” collector lines on shelf looks.

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
I’m going to need Beachhead myself since I never saw the first one they put out. And honestly I do love the classic look. Honestly I had to cut back somewhere and Night creeper was the one to cut. Love my ninjas but I just have no attachment to the character and I’ve got a decent amount of Ninjas. Jinx though is a must being a good part of the original movie. Doc to me fills my medic role, and I like the collapsible stretcher. And gotta get my Dreadnoks.

The rest is in the air. I’d like the Techno Viper and Missile trailer for my HISS, but honestly it’s feeling like I’m catering to it alone lately. It’s cool to have a dedicated Cobra team to it but that’s a lot of figures just to one tank lately

Confuzor

Koopaling Aficionado
Citizen
Im in for anything Cobra/Dreadnocks. So I am so glad that vehicle was only a redner and not up for preorder alongside the missile launcher.

TriBlurr

Citizen
We had this guy leak last night alongside all the Transformers stuff.

No official identification yet. Body appears to be a Night Force Shockwave with optional Steel Brigade helmet. (Same helmet with Clutch).

IMG_5840.jpg

DefaultOption

Sourball
Citizen
Doesn't "COVERT SPECIAL TASK FORCE" in big white letters kind of counteract the attempt at, y'know, trying to be covert?

I mean, maybe not any more than having a massive rotary cannon hanging off the side of your motorcycle, but still...

(Also, that little drone looks like young Leia's droid from the Kenobi series.)

ZacWilliam1

Citizen
Yeah, I think it's pretty difficult to be covert with a gigantic side-car gatling gun whether you label it in block letters or not.

-ZacWilliam, that's gonna raise some flags whether it's painted like a cartoon tiger or a panther.

Steevy Maximus

Citizen
Target has a toy sale going on, and few notable items for GI Joe fans:
Python Patrol Vypra for $15, Cobra Island Roadblock for $10 and the Trouble Bubble with Televiper is just $26.99. Supposedly online only, but stores might price match.

Blot

Citizen
I get having him sign both Destro pages, but part of me feels that Iron Grenadier one should have been saved for Maurice LaMarche...

Agent X

Kreon Bastard
Citizen
Well I've been thoroughly put in my place.
Nonsense friend. Your preference made logical sense. I'm thankful Sorenson's work on the book followed that train of thought.

Now, if I can get a complete and accurate cast listing for the DiC series...sadly G.I. Joe lacks the comprehensive and accessable well of knowledge like the TFWiki.

Top Bottom