G.I. Joe thread - 02/01 G.I. Joe Day Reveals: Doc, Torch and more

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
That doesn't look any better.
I, too, remain unimpressed with what I’m seeing.

The game is trying SO hard to be like Shredder’s Revenge, it almost feels like a reskin of that game given the stylings I’m seeing. The problem is…this kind of game and those stylings? I don’t feel they really fit with the nature of the GI Joe franchise. It just feels like such a copycat- “Shredder’s Revenge did really well, let’s do that but with another 80s property!”

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Honestly? I'm open to it.

Is it copying Shredder's Revenge? Yes, yes it is. Will it be as good as Shredder's Revenge? No, probably not. Just from these trailers, it kind of looks like it'll probably play a little "stiffer" than that game does, and it's trying to hide that with epic rock music.

But, that almost doesn't matter. Because my nostalgia goggles are firmly strapped to my head. I'm all in on the return of old school arcade beat em ups. I'm kind of looking forward to this in the same way I'm looking forward to the Toxic Crusaders game.

I'm not expecting greatness. I'm hoping for competence.

As long as it's not broken, it's probably going to be fun. For a hour or two. It's probably not going to be a long game. But, again, that almost doesn't matter that much. I'm just digging this style. As long as it's a 7/10 or 8/10 level game, I'll be happy. Sometimes "good enough" is indeed "good enough".

Last edited:

TriBlurr

Citizen
Emily, Lenny and Tony dropped by the Adventures in collecting Podcast today. Where they gave the following name only Reveals for upcoming Classified figures.

Road Pig
Blowtorch

Autobubbs

Citizen
Y'all remember back when I said that Steel Brigade set was tempting?

Welp... the temptation proved too great. Hadn't seen it before until I found it at a local toy show, paid $60 for it. Could have sprung for a $30 Helix but I'd already spent enough of Magic cards.

TriBlurr

Citizen
From Wondercon panel

Retro Beach Head
Retro Snow Serpent
Retro Eel
Cobra Ferret with Driver

All going up for Preorder on the 4th

Name only Reveal:

Once a Man Cobra Commander

Steevy Maximus

Citizen
Images from the panel reveal. Reportedly, the Ferret didn’t make it to the show in time for the showcase:

Autobubbs

Citizen
Welp, I've faltered yet again.

Tuesday I snagged Vypra at Target. Only single fig in stock, and I didn't feel like shelling out $55 for the Python Tele-viper/flight pod.

This morning Ran to Wal-mart and discovered they had their remaining stuff on clearance. Found Scrap Iron & a banged up Snake-eyes/Timper sets, which I grabbed. While dissapointed with the bandanna, can't complain with all the weapons and the articulation.

Heads up to any Joe fans in Sioux Falls, SD. As of 7ish in the AM there was still one of the Scrap Irons left for $22 as the Southern Wal-mart location.

Steevy Maximus

Citizen
Walmart is clearancing stuff. In addition to the 3rd Party sellers, Walmart has the Retro carded Lady Jay and Destro for $5 and $15, respectively.

Autobubbs

Citizen
Walmart is clearancing stuff. In addition to the 3rd Party sellers, Walmart has the Retro carded Lady Jay and Destro for $5 and $15, respectively.

Noticed that too... though they only have Jaye, Baroness, and Gung Ho.

Might have to run to see if they've clearanced at the OG and if there are any Rock n Rolls left. He was my first joe after all.

Confuzor

Koopaling Aficionado
Citizen
Damn. I missed the preorder on the Cobra Ferret. Is that It, Im SOL? Or is there the chance to be able to buy again later?

I recall the VAMP had similar issues with people not being able to grab one.

Steevy Maximus

Citizen
Tiger Paw and Wreckage leaked:

Repaint of the Ferret with a repainted Firefly (seemingly blending the original 2003 figure and his unproduced inspiration, Sabretooth). *sigh*

Another for the Tiger Force Collection....

Donocropolis

Olde-Timey Member
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Seems like a good place to ask this. Does anyone here know if this guys missiles:

20240412_165054.jpg

are 5mm ports on the end? it's a cool effect.

Steevy Maximus

Citizen
Dumb Question: the Retro Cards the same scale as the Classified?
It’s not dumb, because Hasbro can’t keep things simple. Not ALL the retro carded figures are scaled to Classified. Hasbro did a few waves of retro carded 4” Joe figures as Walmart exclusives a couple years back. Those have, subsequently, flooded the fan channel. Or, at least Stalker, Grunt and MAYBE the odd Cobra Trooper or Officer.

That said, the NEW Retro carded figures ARE Classified products. Any reputable retailer/reseller should be able to denote them as “Classified Retro”. Line started as Walmart exclusive before moving to general availability this year, YMMV on what you can find at retail. I just got Lady Jane for $5 from Walmart, and Pulse still has Destro and Baroness available. No word on when/if Hasbro will rerun harder to find offerings like Snake Eyes (Commando), Crimson Guard or Zartan.

Autobubbs

Citizen
It’s not dumb, because Hasbro can’t keep things simple. Not ALL the retro carded figures are scaled to Classified. Hasbro did a few waves of retro carded 4” Joe figures as Walmart exclusives a couple years back. Those have, subsequently, flooded the fan channel. Or, at least Stalker, Grunt and MAYBE the odd Cobra Trooper or Officer.

That said, the NEW Retro carded figures ARE Classified products. Any reputable retailer/reseller should be able to denote them as “Classified Retro”. Line started as Walmart exclusive before moving to general availability this year, YMMV on what you can find at retail. I just got Lady Jane for $5 from Walmart, and Pulse still has Destro and Baroness available. No word on when/if Hasbro will rerun harder to find offerings like Snake Eyes (Commando), Crimson Guard or Zartan.

*nodnod* Thought I'd double check before grabbing one of the Baroness' still warming the pegs at Wal-mart. Not quite down to $5 yet though.

Top Bottom