G.I. Joe thread - 02/01 G.I. Joe Day Reveals: Doc, Torch and more

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
The original toy came with both.

I was just wondering myself if they'd bother with the second option. My gut is that it's probably just be toy mounted bay wings like in pretty much all the media.

UNLESS they are trying to pad out a deluxe figure set to charge more. Then I could see both.

-ZacWilliam, I always loved this figure so I do hope they do it justice. Sometimes I get real picky about toys I loved as a kid. No modern Spikor ever really works for me.
I fully expect Nemesis Enforcer to be a deluxe figure of some sort. The fact Hasbro is openly talking about him makes me optimistic that he’ll end up a “mass release” deluxe figure, with articulated wing and tentacle sets. Plus, probably, extending arm blades and some Cobra La creature/weapons.
Then again, I wouldn’t be adverse to some sort of Con exclusive two pack with Enforcer and a partially mutated Cobra Commander…
Tank!

Now where do I store the Tank?
The great question of our time.

I got Deathsaurus en route and I’m not sure where to put him, much less if I’d shelled out for a HISS tank or a Dragonfly. Again, I’ve always been more “character driven” in my GI Joe experiences, and I decided I’d much rather get several Classified characters than a HISS tank I, truthfully, have no place (LITERALLY) for.

electricidad

Citizen
IMG_4303.jpeg

Tunnel Rat is just going to keep an eye on this. If I can hold out, I’ve resolved to wait to Christmas morning to open it.

If I can hold out…

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
So, looks like GI Joe is closing out a strong year. Despite issues last year with the fallout of the "non-event" Snake Eyes film, 2023 seems to have been a good year for the brand, with Hasbro even citing brand growth in its investor reports.
Seems the momentum with the strong Classified line up continued into the comics realm, where GI Joe ARAH #301 launched to an astounding 50K unit sales. For comparison, ARAH under IDW was struggling to hit 7K on a regular basis.

Not only that, but Duke #1 has reported sales of over 70K, with Cobra Commander #1 possibly racking up presales in excess of 80K

The interest surprises me, given how indifferent the fandom was through most of IDW. That, and I wasn't even sure there were that many buyers of physical media left. I know I don't buy physical comics (not that I can easily get them around here to begin with), so my cynical side is waiting for some sort "implosion" from this launch hype.

Haywire

Collecter of Gobots and Godzilla
Citizen
I will always go for physical comics; I don't like reading comics on a screen.

That said, my local comic guy, that I do my best to support, does an absolutely ABYSMAL job handling my pulls (and I know it's not just me, can't say if it's everyone, i know he has pulls for some customers). I have spent the last 2 years playing catch-up trying to pick up stuff he failed to order or neglected to hold for me. (I cannot tell you how many times Ive found titles he was supposed to put in my pull file on the shelf or in a back issue box) The only saving grace was that most of the titles I collected had ended, GI Joe:ARAH being one of the exceptions. The next nearest shop is over an hour away; but I may just have to bite the bullet and see what they can do for me, because I'm tired of having holes in my collection that wouldn't have been there if my local guy was on the ball.

TriBlurr

Citizen
Updated the first post with the most recent Preorders and stuff that's starting to ship.

It's Chad mentioned a potential Haslab Rattler coming next during a live stream with Toyhabits. Gonna put it in the rumors pile for now.

Blot

Citizen
Per resident computer listings leaker, Jtprime17 we have a listing for:

Transformers Collaborative MOBAT Optimus Prime with General Hawk
I get "Iconic Evil Tank vs Iconic Good Tank" but at the same time I have to wonder if Joe had any big trucks Prime could have been instead.

Dake

Citizen
Cool. I guess this was probably a big ask, though...

View attachment 18395

...HasLab?

"BIG" being the operative word (next to Megatron HISS).

G9NbDNk.jpg

Though if they could turn everything behind the cab into a trailer/base, it'd be amazing. They could maybe give the cab a small set of wheels, leaving both sets of big wheels attached to the trailer. It would pretty much have to be Titan-priced, but considering the Rolling Thunder has never been rereleased and the number of small parts that tend to be missing, it'd probably sell well to Joe folks.

I have to wonder if Joe had any big trucks Prime could have been instead

They don't really. There are some vehicles with trailers like the Mean Dog or Thunderclap, but they're all pretty big too. The MOBAT probably is the most "sensible" for this particular line. I can't wait to see Optimus Prime with most of a tank just hanging lazily from his back. :confused:

Last edited:

Lobjob

Citizen
After recently acquiring a fair amount of peices for a Rolling Thunder, I'm okay with Prime not being one for now.

But like, if they want to Haslab a Rolling Thunder as him or anyone else in the future, I wouldnt be mad at it. As is, Im cool with the MOBAT. I don't have one of those. The only crossover Im not a huge fan of is Bumblebee, but Megatron is great and Soundwave is incredible. We have to be getting a Starscream plabe at some point, yeah?

electricidad

Citizen
It’s just amazing.

IMG_4363.jpegIMG_4362.jpeg

Easily the best Joe toy of the year. I set it up in this configuration the day after Christmas, and I haven’t stopped fiddling with it yet. I haven’t even opened the Tactician.

IMG_4364.jpeg

Favorite individual figure of the year just might be Hawk. I wanted a figure of him bad enough I made a custom out of a Marvel Legends movie Vulture.

IMG_4365.jpeg
Close seconds are Torpedo and Rock n Roll. These are perfect representations of both, and both feel updated in a meaningful way, and feature a bunch of strong accessories.

Holy crap. This was a good year for figures.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
So, something I've been wondering about for a while is how the opening of the G.I. Joe movie -- the original one, of course -- might have differed from what we got. Maybe they just swap out the words "G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero" for "Action Force: International Heroes", and the rest remains the same, right?

Nope!

Finally being in a state of mind to think about it AND in a position to actually look at the same time, I recently decided to pull it up.

What I found truly shocked me.

Holy moly, what a downgrade.

I mean, the tune isn't bad in its own right or anything, but... it doesn't feel like a theatrical-level upgrade from the weekday afternoon theme, you know? To say nothing of being truncated.

Here's ours, for those who need a reference:

To one fan's credit, they did try to at least add in the missing footage and some other stuff, but still...

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
And separate post, since it's unrelated to the above. Came by this, and rather enjoyed it:

Top Bottom