Food Thread - Post pictures of Food

MEDdMI

Nonstop Baaka
Citizen
So what I'm going to need now, is a recipe. I've tried things other than waffle mix in a waffle iron and it was messy. Good, but messy.

Zamuel

Pittied fools.
Citizen
What I used was majority waffle mix. After that, is sorta more art than science. A lot of my initial worry was due to not having a set recipe outside of baking a sweet potato, waffle mix, and praying I don't set a fire.

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
IMG_20230815_144958123.jpg

IMG_20230815_145005284.jpg

IMG_20230815_145105261.jpg

Felt like Japanese today at the mall and had two choices: a food court option or a full on sit-down restaurant.

Yeah I went for the sit-down option and goddamn this was my first time having non-instant ramen and holy shit.

MEDdMI

Nonstop Baaka
Citizen
20230729_084152~2.jpg
Forgot to post this when I made it maybe a month ago?
Biscuits from scratch with some cinnamon butter leftover from a restaurant. Hickory smoked spam, toasted. Scrambled eggs with bell pepper. Pickled cucumber and daikon I made awhile ago. One little tomato from the garden.
Biscuits were pretty dry, but eating a little bit of everything in one bite was surprisingly good, added some moisture to the biscuit.

Attachments

• 20230729_084152~2.jpg
    20230729_084152~2.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 54

MEDdMI

Nonstop Baaka
Citizen
Decided to try out this simple Beef Wellington recipe. One of those things that I've heard about but never tried.
Couldn't find a tenderloin at the market so used a roast instead. Used rehydrated shiitake mushrooms and canned ones.
Didn't connect my two pieces of puff pastry properly so it split while cooking. Probably should've put egg wash on the bottom, but I was afraid of the whole thing breaking. Bottom dough ended up sticking to the foil.
Hardest part was waiting multiple times and getting hungrier and hungrier. It's pretty good, but probably needs something else to go with it.

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
Decided to try out this simple Beef Wellington recipe. One of those things that I've heard about but never tried.
Couldn't find a tenderloin at the market so used a roast instead. Used rehydrated shiitake mushrooms and canned ones.
Didn't connect my two pieces of puff pastry properly so it split while cooking. Probably should've put egg wash on the bottom, but I was afraid of the whole thing breaking. Bottom dough ended up sticking to the foil.
Hardest part was waiting multiple times and getting hungrier and hungrier. It's pretty good, but probably needs something else to go with it.
Eat it with boiled veggies, mashed potatoes and gravy.

This is the way.

(And as a British person, that meat needs to be brown ALL the way through... ) ;)

MEDdMI

Nonstop Baaka
Citizen
The video also shows a pink center, probably an Americanized version. I prefer beef around the medium rare range. Pork and chicken definitely have to be cooked all the way through. Fish, any way is fine as long as it's prepared right.
We were thinking mashed potatoes. Will have to see what kind of veg I have in the freezer.

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
The video also shows a pink center, probably an Americanized version. I prefer beef around the medium rare range. Pork and chicken definitely have to be cooked all the way through. Fish, any way is fine as long as it's prepared right.
We were thinking mashed potatoes. Will have to see what kind of veg I have in the freezer.
Ironically, I've eaten raw chicken with raw chicken egg in Japan, where is much safer to eat.

Although I read recently that they're trying to phase out...

MEDdMI

Nonstop Baaka
Citizen
I wouldn't trust the freshness/quality of chicken over here for that. XD
There's actually a place downtown that keeps live chickens in the back and will butcher/prep it on the spot. I'd feel too bad to try that.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I do wonder if we're a little too paranoid about it here. I've had salmonella and it really was not that exciting.

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
I do wonder if we're a little too paranoid about it here. I've had salmonella and it really was not that exciting.
Salmonella isn't really a thing in Japan, due to (stricter) safety precautions.

And yes, you should be REALLY worried about salmonella.

Some people with salmonella infection have no symptoms. Most people develop diarrhea, fever and stomach (abdominal) cramps within 8 to 72 hours after exposure. Most healthy people recover within a few days to a week without specific treatment.

In some cases, diarrhea can cause severe dehydration and requires prompt medical attention. Life-threatening complications also may develop if the infection spreads beyond the intestines. The risk of getting salmonella infection is higher with travel to countries without clean drinking water and proper sewage disposal.

(Source: - https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/salmonella/symptoms-causes/syc-20355329 )

MEDdMI

Nonstop Baaka
Citizen
I've had food poisoning a few times, and my stomach's more sensitive with age. Not something I'm going to risk.

Edit: forgot to mention, made mashed potatoes with sauteed onions and garlic to go with the leftovers. The dough on the Wellington isn't crispy anymore, but the mushrooms have more flavor now.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I have a tough stomach, I guess.

Oh ye of little faith.

That does look nice, though I wonder how nice it is when trying to chew it.

I'll concede that maybe I just don't know. There's people who think they don't like rare meat because they've never had it cooked properly. Rare doesn't mean raw. Rare doesn't mean just not cooking it. Rare is cooked. I'm sure there's cooks out there who just aren't cooking their steaks, and it leads people to think they don't like rare meat. So maybe there's some secret trick to well done meat too. I don't know.

But I grew up on terrible overcooked steaks, so it's hard to pass on any opportunity to have it medium-rare or below.

The Mighty Mollusk

Scream all you like, 'cause we're all mad here
Citizen
The problem with well done beef is that there's a fine line between "done" and "shoe leather" and a lot of people don't k ow where the line is.

MEDdMI

Nonstop Baaka
Citizen
Ditto, Fnu. My folks insisted on always getting well done to make sure it was cooked. Got more into med rare swiping bites from TMM's plate. It's easier to eat and gives some texture/taste variation.

Top Bottom