Food Thread - Post pictures of Food

MEDdMI

Nonstop Baaka
Citizen
Oh, I gotta try that sometime.

Last Sat TMM and I poked around and had lunch at a small restaurant, Elizabeth's Farmhouse in CT. Small nice place in front of some sketchy buildings. 20240217_115331.jpg
20240217_121153.jpg
TMM had a pizza with rib meat, fried onions, and BBQ sauce. Place had Valentines decor up, so they might have been trying for a heart shaped pizza?

20240217_121200.jpg
I had a chicken curry salad sandwich. Got garlic truffle fries with it. There actually is such a thing as too much garlic.
20240217_123213.jpg
For dessert we shared cinnamon cheesecake. Came with whipped cream and a chocolate cherry mouse XD

All very good, but expensive. Also the areas nearby had conservative/religious/pro-Trump vibes, so not going back anytime soon.

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
IMG_20240224_205951.jpg

(Ramen crisps)

IMG_20240224_185409.jpg

(My gf's homemade lasagna, with minced beef/pork because minced beef by itself is far too expensive in Japan...)

She also cooked beefburgers, with hot bbq sauce, from The Meat Guy in Japan.

IMG_20240225_193428.jpg

(As stated above, actual beef hamburgers in Japan are hard to get and/or expensive, so this was a rare well-done treat for me).

Last edited:

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
IMG_20240303_224516757_HDR.jpg

Made this pizza for my dinner last night.

Gotta love the weird mix of cheap and 'fancy' ingredients I used for this:
- Premade pizza crust
- Ragú pizza sauce
- Organic basil leaves
- Baby spinach
- Danish bleu cheese crumbles
- French goat cheese crumbles

Did I have to literally get cheese imported from Denmark and France? No, but I did anyway and goat cheese seriously does hit differently.

MEDdMI

Nonstop Baaka
Citizen
20240218_110012.jpg

20240219_073902~2.jpg

Forgot to post this when I made it a few weeks ago. It was decent, could have used more flavor. Maybe a minced onion sauteed with the beef, broth instead of water, some tomato paste, and/or crunchy onions on top.
Also made garlic bread out of leftover hotdog rolls and the extra garlic sauce from the restaurant I posted about last time.

20240303_133327~2.jpg
Tried out Kohlrouladen. Heat was too high for my ceramic pot, so the cabbage rolls got burned a bit (still ate it). Instead of straining the veg, I just left them as-is and tossed in the rest of the cabbage. Had this with mashed potatoes. It's tasty, but a lot of work.

MEDdMI

Nonstop Baaka
Citizen
20240311_112310~2.jpg
20240311_112302~2.jpg
This was decent. Forgot the gravy so I made my own gravy with roux and beef buillon. Subbed the onion for a leek, since I had some leftover from last time. Also served with rice since we recently had mashed potatoes.

Also tried making a Fiesta Lasagna, that was pretty tasty but I kept forgetting to take pics and it's gone. Basically a taco lasagna.

MEDdMI

Nonstop Baaka
Citizen
W-what? Wontons with pasta sauce and cheese? I was expecting a different sauce, at least. How was it?

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
W-what? Wontons with pasta sauce and cheese? I was expecting a different sauce, at least. How was it?
In Japan, they're called "gyoza" and they're different, as they're not served with soup:

- https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jiaozi#Gyōza

They're rather good. The pork meat and herbs inside are noticeably not the same taste, but it's a fun way to use up leftover gyoza in a different way. It's really easy to make too, as I just use frozen/ready-made gyoza.

Last edited:

MEDdMI

Nonstop Baaka
Citizen
I'm know gyoza, but tend to get the term mixed up b/t wontons and potstickers when trying to use the word most English speakers know.

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
I'm know gyoza, but tend to get the term mixed up b/t wontons and potstickers when trying to use the word most English speakers know.
Yes, the wiki article mentions that confusion too as it seems to be a common thing! In the UK, I've never heard of the term 'pot sticker' before I encountered Americans, so I guess the term is limited to mainly the US? In the UK, people familiar with oriental food might (arguably erroneously) call them dimsum perhaps?

Also, the reverse happened to me in Japan, with the English translation for gyoza as 'dumplings', but for me, we have a different type of dumpling in the UK. To make it you need to use either vegetarian or pork suet.

1710709550764.png

Atora Suet.gif

Btw, I just tried to click the link for the Kohlrouladen above, but the link doesn't work.

Is this link ok?

Last edited:

MEDdMI

Nonstop Baaka
Citizen
Yeah, "dumplings" makes me think of the little dough balls, too.

Edit: hmm. Weird. I have the recipe Faved on imgur and it works in there, but not when I link it.

Edit 2: Yeah, repice I had was way too long to post w/ pics. The one you found looks close.

Last edited:

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
I'm living dangerously as I've just had a lamb vindaloo (but lamb is referred to as 'mutton"', no matter the age, by most Indian/Asian restaurants over here). I had a sweet cheese naan to bring balance to the force (plus a mango lassi and two beers).

Wish me luck tomorrow morning!

IMG_20240327_174250.jpg

IMG_20240327_174254.jpg

Just be sure to play the appropriate music when you eat one for the first time.

Last edited:

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
IMG20240401215446127.jpg

I made a steak for dinner tonight. It was my first time making a steak and I think it came out pretty decently for my first try. Had no idea what I was doing but I seasoned the steak with some Montreal steak seasoning, put it in a hot pan that had a bit of oil in it for 3 minutes, flipped it and cooked the other side for 3 minutes. Was trying to cook it at a medium-rare to medium level of doneness but I slightly overcooked it and it was more medium to medium-well (thankfully I didn't ruin my steak by making it well-done, I was legit worried but there was still pink inside when I cut into it.

The vegetables on the side are just some frozen seasoned red potato wedges and onions that I did in the air fryer.

Top Bottom