Dungeons & Dragons

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
I saw it tonight and sat through this annoying pre movie spiel too. It didn't spoil major plot but there were a few scenes that would of sat better if I had gone in cold. But over all the movie was really fun. So much better than the early 2000's attempt from New Line. There weren't any characters of note involved but plenty of name drops of a few sprinkled in and lots of Places named that even a newb like me recognized. There was a certain peril that came up that had my entire D&D group busting up laughing.
Er, what was the certain peril?

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
It was
A huge fat Red Dragon that couldn't fit through quite a few caves it was trying to get through, rolled after not being able to stop itself a time or two, and could barely fly.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
It was
A huge fat Red Dragon that couldn't fit through quite a few caves it was trying to get through, rolled after not being able to stop itself a time or two, and could barely fly.
Oh I luuuuuv luv loved that part, hehe

Caldwin

Woobie Destroyer of Worlds
Citizen

Okay...so, I guess this means I'm going to have to back out of this thread until it comes to streaming.

Caldwin

Citizen
I had this in my "save for later" section of my Amazon cart. I was debating on whether or not I really wanted it when I bought something else and they said for $15 more I could get free same day shipping. So here it is!

9823D48B-17D3-4319-8469-7DEC4B437675.jpeg

just like Diana, I'm putting Bobby in some hot water to loosen the joints. Hasbro's "quality is leaving something to be desired. They couldn't even give Uni the same limited mobility of their other horse franchis.

E42C77F6-A096-48D1-A6EE-6CAC732214B7.jpeg

ZacWilliam1

Citizen
Just saw it with the family. Awesome fun. We all loved it and came out raving about our favorite parts.

-ZacWilliam, hope they fast track a sequel with some kobalds and goblins :)

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
Michelle Rodriguez with unshaven armpits, was that some sort of statement? Can't say if it was cuz of her race or culture in the movie or if it's all her.

Cool that they didn't do any pop culture references. All the humor was in their world. No lightning bolt, larping, saving throws, dice... I don't think they even mentioned a dungeon master.

Yes, the Dungeons and Dragons kids who got older were there. They were just background competition but didn't really talk.

Coolest name drop for me would be Harpers.

Oh and since I'm not really up to date on the beasties, I don't know what that black monster was.
Actually, there were several references and "pop culture" ones at that:

- https://www.looper.com/1240843/easter-eggs-missed-dungeons-dragons-honor-among-thieves/

Also, the original cartoon kids (as you mentioned)

Its a Dungeons & Dragons Ride.jpg

The black cat monster is a Displacer Beast.

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
The film is currently available on premium VOD services, with it being available to stream on Paramount+ on May 16 (supposedly, I’m not trusting of the sources I found for that)

M. Virion

If Hell is forever, then Heaven must be a lie
Citizen
I found the mimic diceling, this isn't supposed to be out till summer, right? Earliest release date I'm seeing online is end of July? Huh.

At any rate whenever he does show up, he's fantastic and probably my favorite diceling so far. Great sculpting and painting. Highly recommended.

Ironbite4

Citizen
So Hasbro/WoTC, you've burned through 50 years of consumer good will in the span of 6 months, tried to utterly destroy any for of creativity in the community by claiming you can own homebrew content if it's popular enough, sent the Pinkertons to some dude's house after he got an early shipment of your latest Magic set. What're you gonna do next!?

WE'RE GONNA RELEASE A 24 HOUR STREAMING SERVICE WITH THE MAIN FOCUS BEING A COOKING SHOW!

Ironbite-oh...my...god.

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
ALl they have to do is get Critical Role to only stream on it, and they're basically guaranteed viewers/subscriptions. I think the CR folks are savvy enough though to see that trap, given how they've been slowly moving their setting away from traditional D&D creatures and such, based on what I heard back during the whole OGL fiasco

Caldwin

Citizen
Are they trying to make themselves go out of business or does it just come naturally?

Dake

Citizen
Three years ago they alienated a lot of long-time players of Heroclix by really changing the gameplay and rules, yet it's still going. I imagine there will just be another reset here. Heck - there are still people playing 2e DnD.

As for the channel, it'll be the Hub but cheaper (and probably meet the same end).

Ultra Magnus13

Citizen
Three years ago they alienated a lot of long-time players of Heroclix by really changing the gameplay and rules, yet it's still going. I imagine there will just be another reset here. Heck - there are still people playing 2e DnD.

As for the channel, it'll be the Hub but cheaper (and probably meet the same end).

What did they do to clix?

Dake

Citizen
What did they do to clix?
In an effort to make it "more accessible" to new players, they changed rules and powers while also changing the way pieces were constructed (basically higher numbers but shorter dials). All of which essentially wiped out the usefulness/playability of the hundreds and hundreds of previous pieces if you wanted to use them under the new ruleset.

Of the dozen of us that used to play regularly, all but one of us gave it up altogether. But they keep making them, so presumably lots of folks kept going or started up.

Caldwin

Citizen
I saw the movie on Paramount +. It was entertaining. It had a nice balance of action and comedy. I'd certainly watch it any time over the old New Line movie.

I was a bit disappointed that with the trip through the Underdark we didn't see any drow. But al and all, it was a fun flick.

Top Bottom