Dungeons & Dragons

MEDdMI

Nonstop Baaka
Citizen
Eric was my fave as a kid, I liked seeing his character development (which wasn't something we often got in old kids cartoons).

ZacWilliam1

Citizen
I remember reading an interview with a cartoon creator of the period talking about how the powers that be often required you to put a "bad example" character in cartoons at the time. The Hero modeled how kids should act and was rewarded for it while the Eric-type demonstrated how not to act and was "punished" for it.

-ZacWilliam, he was really one of the consistently worst I can remember, just a constant jerk-hole.

MEDdMI

Nonstop Baaka
Citizen
Hank and Sheila were just boring. Presto, Diana, and Bobby were more interesting with their flaws. Uni was cute. I just liked seeing Eric turn more heroic later on. I think he also had issues with his dad.

Modern day me is amused that the Paladin had the worst personality.

Dvandom

Citizen
The d20 is basically their Signature Die, the "d20 System" being one of their trademarks, hence everything turning into d20 instead of trying other dice. On the off chance Dicelings get popular, though, I wouldn't be surprised if 3P outfits come out with d12s or d8s. (Technically, BeastBox has been doing un-numbered d6's for years.)

Eric is Goofus, Hank is Gallant.

---Dave

Dake

Citizen
Hank and Sheila were just boring. Presto, Diana, and Bobby were more interesting with their flaws. Uni was cute. I just liked seeing Eric turn more heroic later on. I think he also had issues with his dad.

Modern day me is amused that the Paladin had the worst personality.
I don't know, I think being a paladin requires one to be mostly unbearable. 😂

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
Depends on if you've got a Lawful Stupid, a Stupid Good, or an actual Lawful Good Paladin(which is the rarest of all!) Also on if they grasp that "Good does not mean nice" also means you can be nice if you choose(or that that concept exists in the first place instead of all paladins being Dudly Do-Right).

Caldwin

Woobie Destroyer of Worlds
Citizen
Also depends on if the GM understands the concept of "good does not mean nice."

Personally, I don't think I could play under a GM that gets hung up on alignment. Alignment is best as a guideline, never a rule. I personally rather play a character than an alignment.

Aerith said "shit" and hit a guy over the head with a chair!

Dake

Citizen
I mean, theoretically alignment is part of character. If you don't want to play a specific alignment, make your character something else.

Caldwin

Citizen
My objection isn't the alignment per se. It's the GM who's so rigid about it that you're not allowed to do anything against the alignment on the character sheet even if it's completely in character with what you've been doing.

Static (my RP character in Allsparkle) started out Neutral and became good over the course of the campaign. But if push came to shove, he could still show you he was rough around the edges, alignment or no.

A good GM knows that alignment is a guideline and not a hardfast rule. Even goody two-shoes can surprise you if put in the right situation.

A bad GM, well they do exist believe it or not.

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
I state my Goblin Barbarian as Chaotic Nutjob.
99BF6FE3-9423-4AD6-9CBE-C5D978F40184.jpeg

MEDdMI

Nonstop Baaka
Citizen
Oh, you jerks. How dare you tease that. And I know that's probably the only part they'll show up in.

Caldwin

Citizen
I may see this once it's on DVD. I feel little compulsion to see it in the theater. Maybe if they'd shown Drizzt and company...

The Mighty Mollusk

Scream all you like, 'cause we're all mad here
Citizen
Putting in Drizzt's party like that would feel too distracting. Especially just to have them

get jobbed by a displacer beast. Considering they've fought dragons, liches, balors, and all kinds of other epic-level threats, that would just feel spiteful.

Save them for a sequel or spinoff if it does well.

ZacWilliam1

Citizen
Everything I've seen of this looks really fun and very Dnd.

I don't get to the theater much since Covid and my daughter being too young for everything but Disney toons, but I want to see this if I can.

-ZacWilliam, I need more go-to Baby-sitting nearby...

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
Saw it. Extra scene in the middle of the credits, just for comedy.

It was ok. Not life altering or whatever. Didn't get me out of my seat or anything. It was just ok.

Druid girl was the coolest. Bard didn't do anything sexual (weird). Is there even a con man class?

Michelle Rodriguez with unshaven armpits, was that some sort of statement? Can't say if it was cuz of her race or culture in the movie or if it's all her.

Cool that they didn't do any pop culture references. All the humor was in their world. No lightning bolt, larping, saving throws, dice... I don't think they even mentioned a dungeon master.

Yes, the Dungeons and Dragons kids who got older were there. They were just background competition but didn't really talk.

Coolest name drop for me would be Harpers.

Oh and since I'm not really up to date on the beasties, I don't know what that black monster was.

Top Bottom