Disney animation and related media

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
When King's egg was found, was Hooty already around? I like the idea that possibly the tiny Hooty coming from Titan Dad's eye is linked to Owl House Hooty. Cuz the Dad is keeping an eye out for his son.
Oh...I hadn't thought about that. That'd be a nice touch, I like that.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
So here's something I missed. There was a livestream Q&A with the creator of the Owl House revealing some of the unanswered questions and lore behind the world.

And here's a shorter video that summarizes what was said.

And a third video that is referenced as being "correct" by the creator.

And a follow up.

Last edited:

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
Oh, I saw the summary video. Who's Hunter bisexual for? Btw, I forget that grave episode with the paintings in the background but the Hunter clones are grown like plants?

Powered Convoy

Randy
Citizen
Evelyn the wife was named? I don't remember this.

I know Futurama Parasite Lost! Hehe. Since I assumed the show is named Owl House because of Hooty, I like the idea that Hooty is directly tied to the Titan.

When King's egg was found, was Hooty already around? I like the idea that possibly the tiny Hooty coming from Titan Dad's eye is linked to Owl House Hooty. Cuz the Dad is keeping an eye out for his son.
The emperor when he possessed Hunter references her name. It was easy to miss.

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
I just got back. And I gotta say they do the original justice. It hits a lot of the same beats but not always in the same way.
They did omit a couple of songs and added in a couple more. The songs taken out weren't important to the narrative overall, although I do miss the one only for the scene it is in, but it's not one that would have worked as well in live action. Eric benefits the most from the scene reworking even giving him reason that he is still Prince Eric as his Mother is around. I do think Halle gives Jodi a run for her money on Part of your World, but most of the original songs redone are about on par with the originals. And it is a little less physical and emotive at times but that is pretty much due to being in live action over cartoon.

If anything Under the Sea suffers a bit by the visuals not always synching as well to the lyrics and not being as active until the end of the sequence

My opinion overall is it is a well worth adaptation. As always I'd say go to the original cartoon over it, but that is very much my nostalgia talking. Either is a great watch

MEDdMI

Nonstop Baaka
Citizen
I need to know if Ursula is still awesomely evil (did not look at spoiler content). The animated version is one of my fave Disney villains.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
I have a theory about something that I may have brought up on here back on the old site before the hack attack.

Some years back, there was a claim given on so many wikis (and TV Tropes) that stated there had been an episode of Goof Troop where Goofy had sat down with Max to talk to him about his mother, and that said scene hinted that she was deceased, with Goofy saying "She's up there with the stars" or "She's up there amongst the stars."

That claim is no longer on all these wikis because, a few years ago, I went and corrected them all since there was no such scene in any Goof Troop episode, either of the two Goofy movies, or anything else. It was all hearsay.

That said, the idea of how this hearsay could have started up got me wondering if maybe someone had misremembered a similar father/son scene from another show or movie released during the same 90s/early 2000s era, and could have mentally misattributed it to Goofy and Max.

So I got to thinking about other cartoons/movies from that time that had any single fathers/motherless sons in them, and then I remembered Chuckie and his dad, Chas, from Rugrats. That was definitely a possibility. And then, today, I found Rugrats in Paris playing on Pluto TV, and after giving it a watch, I found this particular scene from 6:04 to 7:00 (apologies for the low video quality):

That heart-to-heart moment between Chas and Chuckie talking about Chuckie's late mother, with Chas even saying "I'll bet she's in Heaven right now looking down on us," feels like a very strong contender for where the "She's up there with/amongst the stars" false memory between Goofy and Max originated from.

And that movie came out in 2000, the same year An Extremely Goofy Movie was released, a movie which contains a scene where Goofy mourns his son's departure to college and grieves over how he is now truly alone (which also likely fueled the belief that Max's mother was dead). Said scene even features Goofy finding his son's old stuffed teddy bear, just as Chas finds Chuckie's old bear in the Rugrats scene in question.

It's very possible that whoever wrote the original claim about the alleged scene between Goofy and Max could have conflated the scene from Rugrats in Paris with Goofy's grief in AEGM and misremembered Goofy and Max having had a similar scene in a Goof Troop episode to the Chas and Chuckie scene from Rugrats in Paris.

Last edited:

MrBlud

Citizen
It is time for Disney to recognize the contributions that production workers make to ensure the creative, financial, and cultural success of Disney’s animated features and special projects.

Disney be like
IMG_0774.jpeg

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
They have an extra life!

The Genesis Gargoyles game is getting the Remastered treatment, with fancy cartoon-inspired graphics and everything.

On the one hand, it's probably going to be a little expensive for what is essentially a SINGLE relatively short Genesis game. And this is NOT being done by Wayforward like Ducktales Remastered was, but Empty Clip Studios who have done...a bunch of stuff I've never heard of.

But, on the other hand I REALLY want to support Disney doing more stuff with Gargoyles. And IF they have some of the voice actors back for this (I haven't seen if they have or not), like they did for Ducktales Remastered...I don't think I can resist that.

Last edited:

Teufel

Citizen
Darn, was hoping this would be a Blu Ray release of the series kind of like Chip N Dale got. I was hoping that would be the first of other classic Disney cartoons getting HD remasters and releases, but I guess it was just because of the Disney+ movie.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Darn, was hoping this would be a Blu Ray release of the series kind of like Chip N Dale got. I was hoping that would be the first of other classic Disney cartoons getting HD remasters and releases, but I guess it was just because of the Disney+ movie.
Goof Troop got an HD remaster too, but long before Disney+ came out. It was first put on Amazon Video, but when Disney+ went up and it was put on there, it was weirdly cropped to a fake widescreen aspect ratio instead of leaving it uncropped in fullscreen like on Amazon.

Spin-Out

terminal shitposter
Citizen
I need to know if Ursula is still awesomely evil (did not look at spoiler content). The animated version is one of my fave Disney villains.
As someone who watched the remake and found it to be the first good remake since Jungle Book 2016, I'm happy to say that unlike remake!Gaston, she's as bombastic and funny as ever. Pat Carroll would have been proud of Melissa McCarthy.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
The sheer amount of struggle that this movie went through during its production just makes its eventual success all the more impressive:

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
So saw the new movie “Wish” yesterday. To me it’s an okay movie. Decent songs, an okay story, and lots of fun with Disney fantasy tropes. Chris Pine’s King Magnifico starts with a story to make him feel empathetic to why he does what he does but by the end he’s gone fully Absolute Power on us. The other big name with Alan Tudyk is again a fun Animal sidekick as Valentino. Him as the tiny pet goat kid with a deep voice is fun, but sadly if you have seen the marketing his best has been spoiled well in advance.

And then we go into our lead Asha and well …. She’s just the generic contemporary female Disney character. And really that’s a lot of this movies feel. There are nods to a lot of early Disney throughout the movie. And most are pretty much hitting you over the head like Rapunzel with her frying pan in how obvious they are.

Anyways, overall it’s a decent Disney flick that tries a bit too much of nostalgia baiting you with references. And as the 100 year anniversary film the credits celebrate most of films before it with some obvious exceptions. Song of the South, The Rescuers, The Black Cauldron, and Meet the Robinsons all get snubbed. As most sequels in the Animated Film Canon like Rescuers Down Under, Frozen 2 and Ralph Breaks the Internet… yet Fantasia 2000 got a nod I realize now. And there is a sweet little post credit scene.

I’m hard pressed to recommend it or not. If you like Disney movies you’ll most likely enjoy it. But don’t expect it to be the next big Disney flick.

Top Bottom