Disney animation and related media

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
Thanks for the review. Sooo just wait until it's in Disney Plus? That's disappointing, aw.

Edit- I did NOT know the goat was Tudyk. I thought it Patrick Stewart.

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
I was about to say he missed a few but no you’re right. It’s just he’s Disneys new Frank Welker doing a lot of animal sounds.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
I was about to say he missed a few but no you’re right. It’s just he’s Disneys new Frank Welker doing a lot of animal sounds.
It's kinda like how Pixar keeps sneaking John Ratzenberger into each of their movies.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
Well, "sneaking"... he's kinda hard to miss. That's the difference with Tudyk: he's actually got more than one voice he can do. Also, Ratzenberger left a few years ago at this point; that's why you don't notice him anymore.

Spin-Out

terminal shitposter
Citizen
So saw the new movie “Wish” yesterday. To me it’s an okay movie. Decent songs, an okay story, and lots of fun with Disney fantasy tropes. Chris Pine’s King Magnifico starts with a story to make him feel empathetic to why he does what he does but by the end he’s gone fully Absolute Power on us. The other big name with Alan Tudyk is again a fun Animal sidekick as Valentino. Him as the tiny pet goat kid with a deep voice is fun, but sadly if you have seen the marketing his best has been spoiled well in advance.

And then we go into our lead Asha and well …. She’s just the generic contemporary female Disney character. And really that’s a lot of this movies feel. There are nods to a lot of early Disney throughout the movie. And most are pretty much hitting you over the head like Rapunzel with her frying pan in how obvious they are.

Anyways, overall it’s a decent Disney flick that tries a bit too much of nostalgia baiting you with references. And as the 100 year anniversary film the credits celebrate most of films before it with some obvious exceptions. Song of the South, The Rescuers, The Black Cauldron, and Meet the Robinsons all get snubbed. As most sequels in the Animated Film Canon like Rescuers Down Under, Frozen 2 and Ralph Breaks the Internet… yet Fantasia 2000 got a nod I realize now. And there is a sweet little post credit scene.

I’m hard pressed to recommend it or not. If you like Disney movies you’ll most likely enjoy it. But don’t expect it to be the next big Disney flick.

did treasure planet get referenced in the credits

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
Yep. Heck “Home on the Range “ got a nod. Truthfully I’m sure they also skipped over some of the early compilation films like Saludos Amigos but it’s easy to forget they were part of the cannon

Spin-Out

terminal shitposter
Citizen
me when i see home on the range got a nod, but rescuers down under didn't:
wtf is OLD MAN reading.png

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Okay, I haven't actually SEEN Wish. But, I have been watching a few different reviews of it out of morbid curiosity, and something popped into my mind and I'm wondering if I'm at all on the right track or if I'm completely off base.

So, this villain, King Magnifico is taking everyone's wishes and only granting a few of them, while making them lose their memory of those wishes in the first place. The heroine has a interview to work with him and is horrified that he's treating these parts of people's souls like this?

Is it possible that this is all a commentary on Modern Corporate Disney? I mean, if you replace "Wishes" with "Movie Scripts" or "Ideas"...the story kind of starts taking on a new light.

The Disney Corporation probably gets THOUSANDS of spec scripts and ideas from various places all the time. And only a FEW of them ever really get a CHANCE to become a movie...or to have their "wish" granted. But, Disney probably keeps pretty tight legal ownership of any idea that gets submitted to them. If you submit a script to them...Disney probably OWNS it. And the writer or creator probably can't just shop that idea around to other studios, at least as long as Disney itself is "considering" it, legally. If you give them a "wish", you have to either wait until Disney greenlights it...or just give up on it. Disney owns that script now, even if they never DO anything with it.

And now there's this fresh-faced new "intern" who finally gets to work at the place she's always wanted to work at probably since she was a kid. But, then she gets there and finds out how the sausage is actually made, and it just breaks the magic for her. So, she tries to find new magic and a new way for this all to work.

And then later, the villain ends up smashing together different wishes in order to create new things. Kind of like...stitching completely different scripts from completely different writers together to get a hackneyed movie script? Combining so many different ideas that it makes a "messy, poorly written movie" out of all their wishes?

Is Wish...actually a corporate drama in disguise?

I'm probably reading WAY too much into this, but...maybe the movie is a little deeper than it's currently getting credit for? I'm not saying it's well done or not, I can't really judge that without seeing it. But, it seems to be, at some stage of scripting, there MIGHT have been some more depth to this story that I'm not seeing anyone point out.

Last edited:

Spin-Out

terminal shitposter
Citizen
i tried listening to some of the songs on the soundtrack, but unlike almost every other disney musical made in the past four decades, they never clicked with me. i didn't know why until i saw a review that compared them to songs from the greatest showman (which i can't stand), and honestly? that's a pretty fair assessment.

i really have no idea why they didn't just hire alan menken, lin-manuel miranda, the anderson-lopezes, or hell, even pop composers/songwriters they've gotten in the past like randy newman, elton john or phil collins for this. it's especially weird they didn't hire menken, since he's arguably the definitive Disney composer. he would have been perfect for a film celebrating the 100th anniversary.

anyway here's my obligatory "the soundtrack and score to hunchback of notre dame is alan's magnum opus and is a goddamn masterpiece" post:

Last edited:

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
This is from the Disney version of the Dixit board game. Each card represents one Disney theatrical feature, including shorts like Steamboat Willie and the Mickey Prince and the Pauper.

The three cards I put below are Ducktales Treasure of the Lost Lamp, the Scrooge Christmas Carol (was it released theatrically?) and a Goofy Movie (which seems to represent 1 and 2, since I'm pretty sure the disco ball refers to his romancing the teacher on the dance floor).

No 202X Rescue Rangers movie card but there was already an Encanto, Turning Red and Raya and the Last Dragon card. There was a Woody card for Toy Story and a Buzz card for the Buzz Lightyear movie too (as bad as it was).

Cards I was ashamed not to have recognized was one for Rescuers Down Under and the Black Cauldron.
20231231_215126.jpg

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
anyway here's my obligatory "the soundtrack and score to hunchback of notre dame is alan's magnum opus and is a goddamn masterpiece" post:

Yes. Alan Menken's Hunchback score is so good that it ruined Hunchback for everyone else forever. Any film adaptation without his score will forever feel hollow. It is truly definitive.

It's a shame Disney doesn't care about that movie. I've read the book, and despite how different the movie is I honestly think Victor Hugo would have liked it.

Spin-Out

terminal shitposter
Citizen
Yes. Alan Menken's Hunchback score is so good that it ruined Hunchback for everyone else forever. Any film adaptation without his score will forever feel hollow. It is truly definitive.
Alan Menken's done a lot of great work for Disney (admittedly he dropped the ball with Newsies and The Roseanne Barr Cow Movie, but he still tried his best to make those not suck), but his score for Hunchback really is on an entirely different level than his other work.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
I rewatched some Ducktales and got reminded that I never got started watching The Legend of the Three Caballeros a few years back.

I watched the second ep initially and I originally thought it was part of the modern Ducktales but of course it wasn't. First time I knew of the existence of April, May and June in any Ducktales media too. I actually forgot about that trio until the Webby reveal in Ducktales so it still surprised me.

Anyhow, anybody watched the series? I'm in ep5 out of 13 and the tone is so different from modern Ducktales that I can't stand it. Plus they have humans. And I think it's Flash Animated (not that that's a bad thing).

Too much of the enemy Felldrake. It's Wayne Knight's voice and too whiny. Am not fond of Xandra the adventure Goddess either.

Still, has nice globe trotting adventures and mythology. But isn't that what Ducktales did too?

Anyhow, it was just one season of 13 eps. How come it didn't make an impact like Ducktales did?

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
I think there's a few of us who have watched it around here. I have and I enjoyed it. I liked how it tackled different mythologies and adventures. It's a fun show. Wish it had gotten that second season, but I'm pretty sure that's unlikely at this point.

Honestly, part of the reason why the show "failed" was because Disney buried it for so long. Originally, it only aired in the Philippines and Southeast Asia and no where else until the English version leaked online in 2018. Back then, there was no OFFICIAL way to watch it in the US, and I think everyone thought it was a "regional exclusive" show, like the Lilo and Stitch animes. THEN, it got put up on Disney+ in 2019. THEN it aired on Disney XD in the US in 2021. Everything about how this show was handled was just downright STRANGE.

My best guess on WHY they did that is that Disney didn't want to "confuse" the audience with two different fairly similar shows airing at the same time? They didn't want it competing with Ducktales, splitting the fanbase?

Or maybe they were just that desperate for content they could put on Disney+, which didn't come out until 2019. Maybe they were looking at upcoming shows they could put on their new streaming service, and this show was just as "casualty" of making that initial year more tempting to fans.

Maybe there was some sort of office politics at play, with the "Disney Channel" branch of Disney wanting to prioritize THEIR shows instead of ones made by a different studio. Apparently, this was the ONLY cartoon made by..."Disney Digital Network", who only did some other live-action stuff for Disney XD, like Player Select and Parker Plays.

Or maybe they just thought no one would remember Jose and Panchito, since they never really air re-runs of the original Three Caballeros movie anywhere. No one would have nostalgia for these characters, so maybe they thought most people wouldn't care about the show spinning out of it. A couple episodes of Ducktales referencing these characters is one thing, but a entire SHOW built around these two as main characters might not have much appeal in the executives' eyes.

Maybe it was ALL of the above. Or NONE of them.

Whatever the case, it's a shame, because I think it's a quality show. It deserved more love.

Last edited:

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Whatever the case, it's a shame, because I think it's a quality show. It deserved more love.
Agreed. I thought it was a very cool show and really enjoyed it.

It even started and ended months before the DuckTales episode with Jose and Panchito first aired on November 10, 2018, as this show was launched on DisneyLife in the Philippines on June 9, 2018. So when the DuckTales episode with Jose and Panchito aired, I was caught off guard by how Jose and Panchito had completely different voice actors from those who played them in this show, and that their appearance in DuckTales had nothing to do with this show.

Though, speaking of voice actors, in this show, Jose was voiced by Eric Bauza and Panchito was voiced by Jaime Camil, both of whom voiced other recurring characters in DuckTales: Bauza voiced all of the Beagle Boys (and the cameo appearance of Captain Farley Foghorn in the first Christmas episode) and Camil voiced Don Karnage.

Last edited:

Top Bottom