Digimon General Discussion Thread

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
The English dub for Adventure 2020 is done and released in its entirety, all 67 episodes, from start to finish at, of all places, the Microsoft Store.

Here's a rundown of information about this dub, including the voice cast, minor script changes, and even dubbed Japanese theme songs!

It's been a wait of a bit over a year, but the English dub for Digimon Adventure: is out! All of it!

It appears Toei is mirroring the release they've done for a few other recent shows, releasing it via Microsoft Movies & TV in multiple parts as purchase to own digital:
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5

Single episodes are $2.99 to purchase in HD, $1.99 in SD.
Parts 1, 2, and 3 each have 13 episodes and can be purchased in a bundle for $33.99 in HD and $22.49 in SD.
Parts 4 and 5 each have 14 episodes and can be purchased in a bundle for $36.99 in HD and $23.49 in SD.

If the pattern holds from a few prior shows where Toei did this, showing up some other places around the world shortly won't be unexpected.

hoopla seems a decent guess at the moment, and is free with a library card. So hopefully it ends up there. (The prior time they did this, with Dragon Quest, it also appeared in the UK via iPlayer, so we'll see...)

Onto dub details! Watched a few episodes (1st and last) to get a general idea.

The dub was done at Studiopolis, which as a long history with Digimon.

Ryan Johnston directed, who was the recording engineer for Fusion & Kizuna, along with directing all of the tri. dub.

Rita Majkut produced, another one with a long history with Digimon. She's produced all of the Digimon dubs at Studiopolis, and produced the original Digimon Adventure dub at Saban.

The English dub cast for the 8 kids and the Digimon:
Tai- Zeno Robinson
Matt- AJ Beckles
Sora- Cherami Leigh
Izzy- Anne Yatco
Mimi- Suzie Yeung
Joe- Daman Mills
TK- Corina Boettger
Kari Kamiya- Ryan Bartley
Agumon- Ben Diskin
Gabumon- Dave B. Mitchell
Biyomon- Tara Sands
Tentomon- Christopher Swindle
Palmon- Corina Boettger
Gomamon- Alex Cazares
Patamon- Lizzie Freeman
Gatomon- Erine Yvette

In general there isn't an attempt to match prior voices, which largely lines up with what we had from the one clip.

Some are somewhat close in cadence and tone to old voices (Matt), while Robinson's Tai actually skews closer to a more classic Tai voice than I expected based on the initial clip.

A number of the Digimon feel a bit more high pitched than you'd expect (Diskin is doing a good attempt to skew to a more Japanese style Agumon, but it has a very scratch sound to it that I'm not sure how I'll feel about it long term as I have time to watch more), likely taking into account voices going deeper as they evolve.

I expected to dislike most of the voices honestly, with some of them being so wildly different voice wise, but most are largey pleasant, with the main difference being getting used to different voices.

The dub appears to be uncut but sweetened, about in line with expectations.
It uses the standard English Digimon terms (Kamiya, digivolve, in-training, etc.), but does have the characters say Taichi, Koushiro, etc. along with a 'just call me Tai' setup, not wildly unlikely the signs in the dub of the original Adventure.

The production quality seems reasonably good, and it appears Toei went through and swapped out Japanese titling for English (the Adventure: logo, episode title, elements in the encyclopedia entries), along with translated and English credits in both the OP and ED.

While I only watched two episodes, at least one prodigious popped up in dialogue from Izzy, and in a comical moment, Tentomon mentions Sheboygan. Both worked well with the framing given.

The bigger surprise, they used newly dubbed versions of the existing OP and ED.

The English version of the OP, Mikakunin Hikousen (Unidentified Airship) was sung by Hans Hessberg. It appears this is one of the vocalists from the punk rock band Dragged Under.

The English version of ED1, Kuyashisawa Tane (Regrets Bring Fruit) was sung by Cristina Vee, who was Meiko in tri. & Himari in Next Order.

When the final episode played there was a bit of a half surprise...
Dreamers by Ateez was not the ending.
Since it was a licensed song, it appears that one isn't being used in the English version (at least in the final episode.)

Instead Overseas Highway, ED4, continued to be used, sung by Jenny Karr. If it's the one that popped up in a check, she's a decently well known songwriter and EDM/pop singer.

The final episode version of Break the Chain in the episode was undubbed, with the vocals from Takayoshi Tanimoto.

Overall it's a nice dub from what little I watched so far, but it needs better distribution. Toei has done this sort of distribution a few times, so it's apparently working for them, but it doesn't go wide enough to make it easy for people to watch, even for purchase to own, where there is simply far better known stores.

Thanks to quadarius Moore for the heads up.

And here's the dubbed OP and the dubbed first ED. As said above, the OP is sung by Hans Hessburg from the band Dragged Under, and the ED is sung by anime voice actress/singer Cristina Vee.

Last edited:

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
Wow they pretty much tried to translate the themes. Kind of a rarity for that these days in anime production.

Microsoft was also the first to get the Dragon Quest Adventure of Dai dub as well. I wonder if it's a Toei deal, something else. Were both dubs done by the Ocean Group?

Last edited:

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Big update on Discotek's Blu-Ray release of the Japanese version of Digimon Adventure (1999):

And from what little can be told from the subtitles seen in these pics and videos, it looks like this release will be keeping intact ALL of the Japanese names and terms. We can see the use of "Taichi", "Piyomon", and "Adult Level", rather than "Tai", "Biyomon", and "Champion Level".

Though, recent official subs for tri., Adventure 2020, and Ghost Game did use a mixture of Japanese and dub terms, so it remains to be seen if "Evolve"/"Evolution" or "Digivolve"/"Digivolution" will be used, but I'd expect it to be the former if this set wants to be consistent.

Last edited:

Tm_Silverclaw

Citizen
I will just point out.. that while I understand most Digimon "Evolve" I still say "Digivolve" still fits perfectly with the Protag digimon.

After all they turn on and off their evolutions.. making them Digital evolutions. :D

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
In a sense, the Pokemon known as Porygon is a "digital monster", so that would make Porygon2 and Porygon-Z "digital evolutions" too. 😛

Tm_Silverclaw

Citizen
In a sense, the Pokemon known as Porygon is a "digital monster", so that would make Porygon2 and Porygon-Z "digital evolutions" too. 😛

Nah.. Porygon's evolution isn't digital or binary.. can't be turned on and off. Once it evolves, it evolves. ;)

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
And Adventure of Dai finally! Been horrible having those as heavily paywalled until now. Still could be better if it became more widely available for all these.

Why is DBZ Kai so hard to find?

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen

Also, Discotek is hinting at some Digimon news to be announced later at Otakon.

We already know that they're releasing Digimon Adventure (1999) remastered on Blu-Ray, both the dub and the Japanese original with English subtitles in separate releases, so whatever news this could be is new.

Maybe an announcement of Zero Two, or even the Adventure movies? Or perhaps something more recent like a physical release of Adventure 2020 or Ghost Game.

NovaSaber

Citizen
Discotek announced "movie collection 1" which is the first three movies both subbed and uncut dubbed, and also includes the spliced together existing dub (minus the Angela Anaconda short).
Calling it "collection 1" implies they've already got the other movies in mind too.

In other news, new trailer for the upcoming movie:

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
and uncut dubbed
This particular part of the news is HUGE! This is unprecedented! The three original movies redubbed and uncut! With the original voice cast (or as many as they can get back, since some are sadly no longer with us).

This trailer shows us snippits of the redubs:

To announce this news, several members of the voice cast recorded an intro for the screening at Okaton (which, due to Twitter limits, had to be split into two videos):

A few more points of interest:

And finally, the full voice cast for all three redubs have been announced by Sound Cadence, and the cast for all three is IMPRESSIVE! They got back WAY more of the original dub cast than the dubs of tri. and Last Evolution Kizuna ever did!

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen

Top Bottom