Digimon General Discussion Thread

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
Not sure if I'm willing to sit through Digimon "Tai's" Adventure again. I'll probably sit through some of it just to see how the new cast is but the whole Tai has to be in every episode thing was a bit much.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Well well, wasn't expecting this to happen so soon:

Inklings have been popping up even before the confusion with Drummond, but as more information has shown up it seems a good time to make a post...

Thanks to a casting notice, and confirmation from various people around LA in the dubbing scene, an English dub for Ghost Game has entered pre-production recently. The anonymized title for production being passed around, even though a number of people have been 'told' it is Ghost Game, is DGMNGG.

It appears the plan is to be lower budget than a few recent Digimon dubs, and combined with the Adventure: dub may provide a decent reason why Toei and Bandai aren't rushing into a new anime TV series, or rushing the Adventure: dub to start.

They'll have 130+ English dubbed episodes to air over a decent period in one of the biggest money-making regions for the franchise, when no new show is running. To say nothing of the upcoming 02 movie.

This is very early days for the dubbing though, so we'll see where it goes.

Videomaster21XX

This is how a unicorn comments
Citizen
Ghost Game is back from its break and they are now working on resolving the dark evolution of Gammamon plot thread
Well we're working on ending it really. The series has apparently been reported to end on episode 68. Two episodes from now.

Gotta say Ghost Game was... neat. The creepy urban legend stuff was cool, but man the main plot just stagnated. Now we're about to end and there are just things that I'm like: "So what was the point of that?"

Like we get that one scene of all these dark like digimon in the forest in that one episode, making it seem they will be important later, but nope. We're near the end so I guess that was nothing.

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
I think the writters didn't have much of a plan going into Ghost Game outside of doing stand alone horror with Digimon, its kind of like with Adventure 2020, where the show just drags along and seemed rather directionless

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Adventure 2020 had forward momentum going all the way up to the BlitzGreymon episode, but then just devolved into random filler for the next 11 episodes. Sure, there were some important moments sprinkled throughout those 11 episodes (Patamon becoming Angemon again, Angemon becoming HolyAngemon, and MetalGarurumon's debut), but even MetalGarurumon's debut felt like a random filler that had nothing to do with anything. Just a weird racing episode kicked off by Gabumon suddenly having a random need for speed that he otherwise never was shown to have before.

And then when things finally got back on track with the three-part Millenniummon battle, the show dragged itself out again with the pointless Crest arc that built up to the final battle with Negamon, a most underwhelming final boss whose only saving grace was Omegamon Alter-S showing up to provide an epic duel between the two.

The show did not need to drag itself out any further with that last arc. There was no reason to hold back everyone else from reaching their Ultimate forms that late in the series, when they could have easily used the previous filler arc to achieve those forms. For instance, during the Tropiamon episode, I kept screaming for Garudamon to evolve into Hououmon, even if Tropiamon was only a Perfect instead of an Ultimate. After all, BlitzGreymon was forced into being by MetallifeKuwagamon, who was likewise just a Perfect instead of an Ultimate.

Last edited:

Videomaster21XX

Citizen
Adventure 2020 to me started to fall apart when I realized we weren't going to get new/reimagined versions of ALL/Most of the classic villains from the original Adventure.

Like seriously no Lord Myotismon?

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Like seriously no Lord Myotismon?
How could they do him any better?

Besides, he already got a surprise encore at the end of Zero Two.

Heck, the very end of Xros Wars even had a whole army of all three of his forms.

Better to tread new waters than to retread something overdone.

Videomaster21XX

Citizen
Given how Adventure 2020 went, it probably is better they didn't use him, but the thing was suppose to be a remake of the original, and you cut out like 60% of the classic villains from the original. It's just weird.

(Myotismon was also my favorite villain, so either way I wanted to see him and felt cheated)

Also Omnimon/Omegamon was shown WAAAAAAAAAAAY too early.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
He did also get his own episode in Ghost Game, complete with him still being at large and undefeated.

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
He did also get his own episode in Ghost Game, complete with him still being at large and undefeated.

Yeah, its kind of a pity he wasn't really used a bit more, most of the Digimon that have appeared in Ghost Game have been just one off with very little done with them afterwards, it would of been nice if he had returned and been used as a way to push Yuri & her partner to Mega level, but then when he appeared, the ep was clearly focused on Yuri but then Hiro & Gammamon kind of hijack it evolving to Ultimate level for the first time

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen

a4EPCzy.jpg

Likely planned for Anime Japan 2023 this weekend, a new poster for Digimon Adventure 02: The Beginning has pulled up in a few different places on Weibo, baidu, and elsewhere.

The poster reveals the film will be out in Japan on October 27th.

It features a shot of Rui in a digital space, with a digital cityscape behind him. In the path before him is Daisuke and V-mon.

The text on the side says "It all started with a single wish."

The red text at the bottom says "Now, the gate to a new adventure opens."

We will likely get some more news and details once Anime Japan begins shortly.

Digimon Adventure 02: The Beginning, the next Digimon movie, is the sequel to Digimon Adventure: Last Evolution Kizuna.

Many previous details for the movie are here.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Turns out tonight's new Ghost Game is actually the finale. People said it would end at Episode 68; well, this is Episode 67, but that's also not counting the clip show episode with the live-action narrator, so counting that episode adds things up to 68 episodes.

And BOY was this finale anything but satisfying.
It is abundantly clear that the writers of this show only had a single long-term idea for this series and did not know how to execute it at all. The whole Gulus plotline did not need to be dragged out the way it was, and it ultimately felt completely pointless.

We didn't even get to see Regulusmon evolve one more time to reach Arcturusmon, they just made him already strong enough as Regulusmon to be more than a match for Siriusmon. That also means we didn't get to see the combined fusion form of Siriusmon and Arcturusmon: Proximamon. THAT unholy terror would have looked good in animation, and we were completely robbed.

And to add insult to injury, the entire time that Gulus was doing his thing, being the guy responsible for the black corrosion that was poisoning the Digital World, it's revealed here that he was actually just doing it all to make preparation for the coming of SOMETHING WORSE: The "Endbringer". Turns out Gulus was actually an alien digimon all along, and his home planet was destroyed by this "Endbringer" that's currently on its way here... in 2000 more years. WHAT! Just... WHY!

Until they revealed that last part, I was thinking maybe one more surprise episode would see this final threat dealt with, and seeing as it's something coming from space maybe it could be someone like Ragnamon from Digimon World 3. Or even an Apocalymon. But no, it's literally nothing! They threw this thing in there at the 11th hour as a big concern, only to immediately drop any and all tension about it mere seconds later. There's no way Ghost Game is getting a sequel, so why even bring it up?

And so much of this episode's second half was just infodump after infodump to explain away as many of the series' last remaining mysteries and loose ends as possible, and they only do so much in that regard, too. Sure, thy cover all the major ones, but every single irredeemable evil digimon who was encountered before and not defeated is still out there: Phelesmon, Vamdemon, Matadrmon, Lilithmon, etc. All of them are still at large and still very much evil. And then there's whole thing with Hiro holding onto Moon=Millenniummon, which was given enough focus and attention to make us wonder what's up with that, and it's just forgotten about and swept under the rug like nothing.

Now, don't get me wrong, I did still enjoy many of the series' episodes as the standalone one-and-done adventures that they were, but MAN did so many of them turn out to be completely pointless. And that unfortunately reflects on the entire series as a whole. Just, what was the POINT of any of this?!!

And why is it even called "Ghost GAME"? There is nothing "game-y" about this series! The name ultimately turned out to be nonsense.

NovaSaber

Citizen
Even before last week's episode, I was already expecting them to
skip Arcturusmon, but...why does Proximamon even exist if not for an anime appearance? (I had also been assuming Moon=Millenniumon would have something to do with enabling the evolution of either Arcturusmon or Proximamon.)

It really seems like they miscalculated how many episodes they had to wrap things up, and rather than rush things they left what would have been the last conflict unresolved by adding in the "in 2000 years" part.

MEDdMI

Nonstop Baaka
Citizen
Yeah, I definitely got the feeling that they had originally intended for more eps and had to wrap up things quickly. It's too bad they didn't tie in the main plot more. Still, I enjoyed the creepy take on Digimon.

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
Overall Ghost Game wasn't to bad but the finally was most definely rushed, but then much of the series could easily be cut out to get a much shorter series, thou I kind of wished they adventured into the Digital World a bit sooner and really explored it some more, GulusGammamon was a bit of a odd villian, he certainly made a change far as Dark Evolutions go

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Yeah, as fun as many of the standalone episodes were, we really didn't need nearly as many as there were. About half of those pointless filler episodes could have been easily removed to make room for the next big arc.

As a result, the significant amount of pointless filler episodes makes this series feel too much like the Hunters arc of Xros Wars.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Just stumbled upon these Tweets gathered together on another site, and they may provide some context for what happened to Ghost Game behind-the-scenes.

It seems that the series' Head Writer (series composition) simply became mentally overwhelmed by the work of planning out the entire series and struggled to full carry out that task in the long run:

Last edited:

MEDdMI

Nonstop Baaka
Citizen
Yeah, that explains things. I know how serious overworking is in Japan, so I'm glad he's getting some rest. At least we got some resolution and not leaving things on a cliffhanger.

Top Bottom