Digimon General Discussion Thread

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
It is curious to see where they are going to go from here. We have the three main kids partners achieving Mega by now, and going from paths on the newest VB chips Gammamon will have more than one Mega with one being a a dark path. But despite the drip feed of hints that there is a big bad it does feel like it’s way too much of a side note so far.

But damn with some of the horror aspects of the show, there is no way this series ever makes US broadcast for kids. None of it is gorey at all, just some of the imagery is straight nightmare fuel for the kiddos.

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
It is curious to see where they are going to go from here. We have the three main kids partners achieving Mega by now, and going from paths on the newest VB chips Gammamon will have more than one Mega with one being a a dark path. But despite the drip feed of hints that there is a big bad it does feel like it’s way too much of a side note so far.

But damn with some of the horror aspects of the show, there is no way this series ever makes US broadcast for kids. None of it is gorey at all, just some of the imagery is straight nightmare fuel for the kiddos.

Some kids like to be scared, thou if this show makes it across I expect will be edited to reduce some of the horror aspects, example in the latest ep where Aoi puts her hand through the key hole in her head and touches the back of her head, it was kind of creepy

MEDdMI

Nonstop Baaka
Citizen
The Resurrection ep was pretty bad. The poor ex-fianceé didn't even get a memory wipe.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
It's like I said before, this is a Digimon series with Pokemon-styled storytelling, much like the near-pointless Hunters arc of Xros Wars.

The Resurrection ep was pretty bad. The poor ex-fianceé didn't even get a memory wipe.
And using ZeedMillenniumon of all world-ending 'mons as a meager monster-of-the-day? That was just bananas!

You don't use a Millenniumon, let alone Zeed, as a single-episode nobody like that. What's next, Apocalymon for one episode!? Or how about Armagemon!? Heck, let's throw in the D-Reaper swallowing the whole city for an episode, while we're at it! Or even Yggdrasil or NEO!

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Hiro kept the dormant MoonMilleniumon at the end, so I doubt that story's completely over.
Still. Moon would have been more than enough. But they felt compelled to use Zeed for some reason, and even needed to nerf him with a video game boss-esque weak spot in order for him to be beaten by the likes of Siriusmon and Diarbittmon, since he's not the kind of digimon that could normally be beaten by those two.

The threat of him destroying reality even held no real tension or suspense, since we knew he couldn't do that in the few minutes left that the episode had, and especially since he was just a monster-of-the-week rather than any kind of main boss character that this show seems so allergic to having.

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
This is on par for pretty much any larger threat Digimon of the past so far. Piedmon's appearance was thematic at least. I really had no trouble with how they used Milleniummon overall. But I'm not needing everything to feel power scaled to past incarnations. I'll admit though that the recent slew of powerful Digimon being treated like a monster of the week is a tad underwhelming, but hopefully it's to introduce us to a new powerful big bad and not one they have to fall back on from previous media.

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
Just watched the latest ep of Ghost Game and it ends on a bit of a cliffhanger, thou I get the feeling the plot is about to start moving fast if they decided now is the time to actually have a cliffhanger, thou Esimon reason for looking for the real Hiro, hasn't been explained, yet, thou his evolution isn't a one off thing, so something is going on in the Digital World and it seems to be major due to the Digimon who was the monster of the week, thou I expect by the time Ghost Game ends, I expect a massive chunk of the show could easily be cut and you could get a 26 ep run out of it that covers many of the mysteries and hints that the series has been giving

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
Rumor is we end with episode 68 since the next week Ghost Game loses it's time slot to a new anime.

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
60+ episodes, and it still feels like the beginning arc of the series.

I agree, while the stand alone stuff has been enjoyable for the most part, there's been very little plot development, Pokemon, while it does similar, it always made time to develop its plot with the touraments that the characters enter, Ghost Game, everything has been just, a bunch of hints, a few mysterious Black Digimon and Hiro's dad stuck in the Digital world, the only times we get to see what looks like plot progression is when Gammamon Dark Digivolves but then it pretty much resets, the most resent appearance of that form, he asking Hiro to merge with him for some reason and Hiro refusing, yet in his previous appearances, there been nothing about that, its like the writers have this plot in their heads but its not making it into the show its self, so I would not be surprised if tying up the plot threads is done in a rush, because they wasted their time with a lot of stand alone eps and not giving any real progression of the plot! To me, this series is kind of the oppoite of Adventure 2020, where it was very much plot focused that, it failed to really develop its characters that well, the cast is kind of developed but the plot isn't, its only in the last few eps, they given hints of a big bad

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
the most resent appearance of that form, he asking Hiro to merge with him for some reason and Hiro refusing
He didn't ask Hiro to "merge" with him, he asked him to "synchronize" with him, as in what Hiro does every single time any of Gammamon's main three Adult forms Super Evolves into Canoweissmon.

Gulus wants to Super Evolve into his own Perfect form, and needs Hiro to synchronize his Digivice with Gulus in order to do that.

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
I'm loving the heck out of that Mega Digivolution theme. Had to add MAKUAKE to my playlist.

But man poor Jellymon, She lucked out on her Mega Form, Really think her Mega should have been the Ultimate and vice versa. Thetismon just looks so much cooler than Amphimon

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
I'm not really liking the music in Ghost Game that much, after Xros Wars, the battle tracks have been kind of lackluster, about the only one I put onto my favourte list on youtube is Break the chain from Adventure 2020, the series maybe not that great and a big mess, but its the best track in the show! With Jellymon, I think her Ultimate & Mega forms are rather lackluster in desgin, I rather have her stay in her rookie form, its her best form if you ask me

MEDdMI

Nonstop Baaka
Citizen
Thetismon is a natural evolution for Jellymon. I like Amphimon b/c she's less human, and doesn't look like a regular human cosplaying in skimpy/tight clothes like many of the female digimon's later forms. She is awfully pink, though. Could use more blue and purple.

I like that Diarbbitmon is the most humanoid out of the three Megas. Of course, I wasn't a fan of his Ultimate angry furball form.

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
Lamortmon felt more like a Digivolution dictated by the shows theme than a natural progression of what came before. Like the Dark or Viral evo. Diarbbitmon felt right for who Angoramon is though.

Siriusmon though feels like the normal dino-man goggle protag mega we always end up with. I do like his design and really Gammamons full range is interesting enough, especially with the 4 different Champion forms. And the gun blade hands are a bit different for Siriusmon

I think my biggest drawback for Amphimon is the Diving bell helmet takes away facial expressiveness. Granted her Eyes are hidden away a lot of the time in most of her forms, but hiding her whole face away with the helmet just does nothing for me.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
It's basically like Freeza's forms. You start with a small and normal-looking form, then a bigger and more intimidating version of that, then a larger and more monstrous form, and then finally a smaller but more refined and streamlined form.

Agumon went through the same thing in his line all the way up to WarGreymon.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
I am posting the following bit of info in the hopes of preventing the spread of misinformation (yeah, I know, good luck with that, this being the Internet and all), but please read the following very carefully.

From WithTheWill.net:

animevegas_february24_2023.jpg

An ad for Anime Las Vegas has an oddity that we'll sit and see if anything comes out of it.

It lists Brian Drummond as playing WezenGammamon, who is of course, unique to Ghost Game. And Ghost Game has no announced dub.

Of course, if he were playing Wezen, you'd expect with a new cast you'd have the same actor play all the Gammamons. There was one fan cast list with random names that wanted him playing Wezen, and only Wezen, so one wonders if the social media team for the con saw that, and tossed it up without checking, as there are some other mistakes...

Most notably that they advertise this as the largest collection of Digimon cast at a con/event ever, which absolutely isn't true. The lineup of 11 actors they give isn't even the largest in 2023 (with a larger event a few weeks ago having a number of the same people in fact.)

Another potential mistake is listing David Vincent as playing Machinedramon. It's possible he was uncredited in a game, but he isn't credited as Machinedramon in anything we are aware of. It appears the social media team has mixed him up with original Machinedramon English voice actor Dave Guerrie (also known as 'Chewie' Guerrie), who is credited in a few places as "David Vincent Patrick Guerrie". As far we are aware these aren't the same people.

Update- David Vincent has confirmed he has not played Machinedramon. Appears it's a social media manager being a bit overzealous in their searches for marketing, and not confirming details. Which is likely the same for Wezen being listed.

At the moment it looks like a social media team putting together assets on their own to try and advertise it as having a unique Digimon angle, and making a few mistakes.

We'll see if anything comes of it.
So this is all very likely just a big accidental mistake and no actual English dub of Ghost Game is currently in the works (especially if Adventure 2020's dub still is).

Top Bottom