Climate change (because it's still political for some reason)

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
ExxonMobile has been around in one form or another since the 1860's It's hard for such an established company to 'switch gears' like that, unfortunately(especially one as staggeringly profitable as they generally are). The culture is just too ingrained at this point....

Sjogre

Citizen
There's also the fact that capitalism prioritizes short-term profit over just about anything else. Long-term impacts are the future's problem, and the future can get stuffed.

If it'll be a problem before they retire, then they might care. A little. But if it threatens quarterly profits? Nope. Unacceptable.

MrBlud

Citizen
It’s (likely) not going to be severe enough in our lifetimes that a few hundred million dollars can’t shield you from the worst effects.

Even after, that money is going to be doing most of the heavy lifting.

Sjogre

Citizen
Enh. If (hopefully not when) it gets bad enough that a few hundred million dollars can't shield you, I'd assume that's because money is no longer valuable. It's bad now and it's gonna get worse before it gets better, but that doesn't mean it's gonna hit everyone all at once.

Pale Rider

...and Hell followed with him.
Citizen
FB friend:
Global warming deniers glibly mention that the Earth has had much more extreme climate shifts in its distant past, without the slightest recognition of how terrifying that is.

This planet has demonstrated in the past that its climate can naturally shift to the point that it could wipe out most of the human race, and these idiots are acting as if this fact is somehow reassuring. They're acting as if it's no big deal that we may be deliberately accelerating one of these shifts for the sake of "the economy".

Thylacine 2000

Citizen
I thought Rush Limbaugh was dead. How is he writing op-eds for the New York Times?

He's a National Geographic marine biologist, she's a Yosemite park ranger. They fell in love during a month-long Grand Canyon trek. During a subsequent two-month trip on his sailboat, there was trouble in paradise when she got upset that a boat lantern looked like it used kerosene (SPOILER - it didn't) and he struck her as "privileged" because he wouldn't join her in spiraling into neurotic paralysis over it.

“I don’t care about the carbon footprint of one measly lantern,” he said. “I like it and I’m not going to get rid of it.”

“I hate that you’re so apathetic,” I said.

“You’re being ridiculous,” he said. There was a sharp, loud quality to his voice that I’d never heard before.

At that point, I uttered some sweeping generalization about privileged men and their lack of empathy, which made him furious that I was turning this into a judgment on his character, and that I had become worked up over nothing. I tried to explain in six different ways why this was important to me and why the impending collapse of the natural world should be explanation enough for why I was upset, but I was doing it with rage in my voice and it was coming out all wrong. He just kept repeating that he couldn’t understand why we were fighting over this, which made me even more frustrated that he wasn't listening.

I worried that the big issues of the world didn’t seem to affect Doug the same way that they affected me. Our political leanings were more or less aligned, and we shared similar dreams for the future, so I didn’t understand how he managed to go about his life without succumbing to the same existential dread and anger that plagued me. It was a strange space for me to navigate, envying his capacity to be content in such a flawed world while also resenting the privilege that allowed him to feel that way.

The most respected newspaper in the world thinks it is good for environmentalism to look like this.

Pale Rider

...and Hell followed with him.
Citizen
FB friend:
On the day when 80% of people finally accept that global warming is a crisis, FOXNews will just lie and pretend that they were trying to warn people the whole time.

Moreover, all the FOXNews viewers who saw and participated in their global warming denialism for decades will go right along with this lie and pretend that it was liberals, not conservatives, who stood in the way of solving the problem.

NovaSaber

Citizen
The climate crisis is becoming a financial crisis.
This month, the largest homeowner insurance company in California, State Farm, announced that it would stop selling coverage to homeowners. That’s not just in wildfire zones, but everywhere in the state.

In parts of eastern Kentucky ravaged by storms last summer, the price of flood insurance is set to quadruple. In Louisiana, the top insurance official says the market is in crisis, and is offering millions of dollars in subsidies to try to draw insurers to the state.

And in much of Florida, homeowners are increasingly struggling to buy storm coverage. Most big insurers have pulled out of the state already, sending homeowners to smaller private companies that are straining to stay in business — a possible glimpse into California’s future if more big insurers leave.

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
I question how much of that is actually due to climate change and how much is due to the corporations running out of new customers and thus simply trying a new method to show increased profits on their yearly reports.(Likely a combination of both, but still)

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
Yup, watched that one on youtube yesterday. And he's absolutely right. The only thing we should be doing is pestering them about when their going to start, and the SECOND they finish, start pestering with "okay, so what's next?".

But you also need to realize two things. 1.) it's mccarthy, and 2.) he's a republican. He's lying, and even if he wasn't lying: I don't see how they can attach planting a trillion trees to either an investigation into hunter biden, or an impeachment vote for president biden.

But hey: some entreprising democrat pick it up and sell it with "once again, doing what republicans won't".

The Mighty Mollusk

Scream all you like, 'cause we're all mad here
Citizen
Or they'll do the same thing they do with other projects. Give it to someone totally incompetent and/or corrupt, watch it fail, and then use that as an excuse for why it can't work. Or as an example of why Dems never do anything, even though it was a Republican idea in the first place, because their base doesn't have the critical thinking capacity to think past whatever Faux Noise told them last.

Top Bottom